Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
MD/JD is super useful if you want to do patent lit for Pfizer, Merck, etc. A worse career than being a doctor but better than most lawyers. Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HolySwissCheese posted:

MD/JD is super useful if you want to do patent lit for Pfizer, Merck, etc. A worse career than being a doctor but better than most lawyers. Hope this helps.

Not really. If you want to do patent lit for those guys, you want a phd in any of the biochem disciplines that's useful to drug development. MD won't do you any good.

(Also, you won't be working for Pfizer or Merck, you'll be working for Quinn or Kirkland or Foley or Wilmer or any of the other firms with significant patent lit practices.)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

CEO or executive for a Hospital or medical group.

Would give you a leg up in Med Mal cases.

Other than that, not really.

A lot of med mal firms keep a doctor lawyer in the house to write expert reports. Saves on costs and depositions.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

CaptainScraps posted:

A lot of med mal firms keep a doctor lawyer in the house to write expert reports. Saves on costs and depositions.

Yeah, first thing to pop in my mind was 'expert witness'. The combined degree people always advertise for that in the bar magazines.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

You can call yourself Doctor Esquire, that's gotta be worth a hundred fifty grand or so.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

You can call yourself Doctor Esquire, that's gotta be worth a hundred fifty grand or so.

Can't someone with a JD already do that? Since it is technically a doctorate?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Wow, lots of responses. Unsurprisingly, none of them are optimistic. My brother just finished his sophomore year of college; he's taking the next year off to go be in the Peace Corps or something. My parents are split between "Let him follow his dreams!" and "Eh, let's see if he's still interested in a year." I think a summer internship is a really good idea for maybe knocking some sense into him. I also learned my husband has a cousin who just finished a JD/MD, so maybe he'd be willing to talk to him. My brother is smart, a good persuasive writer, and can be wicked driven, which makes him prone to special snowflake syndrome. He doesn't realize that everyone else in law school is too. Also, he told me he has no interest in med school, which I found puzzling, given his insistence on medical malpractice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, hope his stubborn fixation provided some amusement.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

sullat posted:

Can't someone with a JD already do that? Since it is technically a doctorate?

Technically but you'd look corny as gently caress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bold Robot posted:

Technically but you'd look corny as gently caress.

Anyone who calls himself esquire already looks corn as gently caress.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Brennanite posted:

Wow, lots of responses. Unsurprisingly, none of them are optimistic. My brother just finished his sophomore year of college; he's taking the next year off to go be in the Peace Corps or something. My parents are split between "Let him follow his dreams!" and "Eh, let's see if he's still interested in a year." I think a summer internship is a really good idea for maybe knocking some sense into him. I also learned my husband has a cousin who just finished a JD/MD, so maybe he'd be willing to talk to him. My brother is smart, a good persuasive writer, and can be wicked driven, which makes him prone to special snowflake syndrome. He doesn't realize that everyone else in law school is too. Also, he told me he has no interest in med school, which I found puzzling, given his insistence on medical malpractice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, hope his stubborn fixation provided some amusement.

Let him have cake.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MoFauxHawk posted:

Seriously, gently caress the baby boomers. They made middle and upper middle class people my age such horrible prima donna shitheads and also ruined so much other stuff. They also ruined around half of Jewish people my age.

They're also the ones who've bankrupted the country and who will eventually kill Medicare and social security and finalize the institution of a police state (all while blaming lazy Gen X and ADD millennials). gently caress boomers, seriously.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Kalman posted:

Not really. If you want to do patent lit for those guys, you want a phd in any of the biochem disciplines that's useful to drug development. MD won't do you any good.

(Also, you won't be working for Pfizer or Merck, you'll be working for Quinn or Kirkland or Foley or Wilmer or any of the other firms with significant patent lit practices.)

Oh ya obvi. My old firm had an MD/JD and he worked in the patent lit and mass torts defense sections ("those fatties were already at risk for diabetes!") but he hated it and went to work for the department of health doing something totally not law and was much happier.

edit I just google him and now he just practices medicine, so that JD was kind of worth it I guess. if you have an md don't go to law school, even an Ivy League one

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 25, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

HolySwissCheese posted:

Oh ya obvi. My old firm had an MD/JD and he worked in the patent lit and mass torts defense sections ("those fatties were already at risk for diabetes!") but he hated it and went to work for the department of health doing something totally not law and was much happier.

edit I just google him and now he just practices medicine, so that JD was kind of worth it I guess. if you have an md don't go to law school, even an Ivy League one

That reminded me of another person I know who is a registrar for the College of Physicians and Surgeons. He doesn't show up on the practicing lawyers list and I am not sure if he was admitted to the bar.

In Canada a person would have to complete a bar admission course/exam and article (which would probably require quitting practicing medicine and making doctor money) for 10-12 months depending on the province before they could be admitted.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
God, BarBri is awfully loving prickly about opting in for the "online only" bar review option--the moment I selected that option I got a big window chastising me and trying to sell me on the in-class lectures. Hey guys, I made it this far, I'm pretty sure I know how I study most effectively. It costs the same to attend lectures or self-study with the videos, why do they give a poo poo?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ratatozsk posted:

Is there any conceivable value to boasting both an MD and JD?

You got out of law school, couldn't get a job, didn't get married, and your parents will pay for it (based on someone I know who is gearing up to go to med school right now)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

AKMoose posted:

God, BarBri is awfully loving prickly about opting in for the "online only" bar review option--the moment I selected that option I got a big window chastising me and trying to sell me on the in-class lectures. Hey guys, I made it this far, I'm pretty sure I know how I study most effectively. It costs the same to attend lectures or self-study with the videos, why do they give a poo poo?

Because they want the highest pass rate possible.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I laid in bed this morning fantasizing about becoming a cab driver. Don't go to law school. Also don't move to a town where everyone wants to live but has a small legal market.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Dogen posted:

Also don't move to a town where everyone wants to live but has a small legal market.

And that place is?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HiddenReplaced posted:

And that place is?

My guess is austin or maybe madison? Maybe portland.
These aren't small towns, but they aren't big.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
He's talked about Texas so I guess Austin.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

He's talked about Texas so I guess Austin.

Good guess.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I'm applying for a non law job. I'm doing it. It feels like I'm initiating a break up.

My bar call is going to be hella awkward if I leave the firm before I'm called. drat these individualized admissions.

Also, I'm sad that I'm potentially saying goodbye to having my own Harry Potter robes.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Today is the day I do some Tort AMPs. I mean it.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I'm applying for a non law job. I'm doing it. It feels like I'm initiating a break up.

My bar call is going to be hella awkward if I leave the firm before I'm called. drat these individualized admissions.

Also, I'm sad that I'm potentially saying goodbye to having my own Harry Potter robes.

The obvious solution is to keep the robes.

Or are you skipping the call?

Vote Republican
Jul 7, 2012
Can someone tell me why people agree to be limited partners in real estate investment Limited Partnerships? I can't find any explanations other than a fetish for real property and willful blindness. I work for a small accounting firm, and my bosses decided that I'd be their forensic accounting test mouse. Right now I'm assisting a lawyer in a suit by one half of the LP's against the other half + the general partner. It's obvious from the partnership agreement and the few letters I've read that the general partner breached the contract repeatedly and with total confidence there would be no legal consequences. I would think it's an anomaly but I'm cleaning up a tax mess from a different real estate Limited Partnership where THE SAME THING HAPPENED.

Here's how it goes:

- general partner finds a commercial property to "buy, manage, and improve over a few years, then sell at a profit."
- general partner finds chumps to join the partnership, entirely financing it with Limited Partner money except for a token amount from the general partner.
- general partner is required by the contract to generate performance reports twice a month. This naturally stops within three months of the formation and purchase of the commercial property. the limited partners, being dickheads, don't sue for breach of contract.

- general partner has five other similar entities set up, and uses the same plumber, the same electrician, the same carpenter, etc. for all of the commercial properties.
- this allows the general partner to write a check for, let's say, $100k to the plumber "Bob Wilson" from the GP's only bank account. Naturally, Bob Wilson has done work on all six properties, this is a lump sum fee, and Bob Wilson doesn't give a flying gently caress about job cost accounting.
- When one of the properties gets sold, the general partner (along with a few related party limited partners) claim that they've made loans to the limited partnership in excess of the profits and return of investment on the sale. The "chump" limited partners are left in a spot where they've each given away $50k+ to the general partner and the favored limited partners.
- As is typical with these contracts, debts to partners must be satisfied before profits are paid out.

This is not the sort of case the DA will take in the county I'm in and the best the clients can hope for is a return of principal at this point. The whole setup is so obviously set up for a shakedown that I'm having trouble comprehending why someone would purchase a limited partner stake in it.

I know that the test to beating these guys is "reasonable, necessary, and related" expenses, but there's no way in hell that the general partner will have job-cost accounting books that allocate the expenses to the different properties - the whole point is to obfuscate.

The follow-up question is: Is it possible to subpoena (or otherwise legally obtain) the entirety of the General Partner's records for the purposes of the suit? I don't see a way to win the case without seeing the entirety of the General Partner's books and bank statements.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

I have a case almost exactly like this but a little different.

In my case the guy received 100k and let the property be foreclosed upon. The note was then purchased by an "ex-partner" in the business. The ex-partner is also being sued for doing exactly what the defendant in my case did to some other investors.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Aren't all partners entitled to review the books of the partnership? If GP commingled funds, then any book relevant to the commingled account is technically a partnership book. Just a hunch but maybe the Westlaws will know.

Vote Republican
Jul 7, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

I have a case almost exactly like this but a little different.

In my case the guy received 100k and let the property be foreclosed upon. The note was then purchased by an "ex-partner" in the business. The ex-partner is also being sued for doing exactly what the defendant in my case did to some other investors.

How are you handling it? It's a shakedown, clearly, but it's not enough to go to a district attorney, and you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

quote:

Aren't all partners entitled to review the books of the partnership? If GP commingled funds, then any book relevant to the commingled account is technically a partnership book. Just a hunch but maybe the Westlaws will know.

The partners are entitled to a review of the books according to this partnership agreement I'm looking at, but naturally the GP and the crooked LP's are withholding the information. That being said, thank you - I'll talk to the attorney I'm working for and go from there.

Vote Republican fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 27, 2013

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Solid Lizzie posted:

Today is the day I do some Tort AMPs. I mean it.
AMPs are literally the best part of BarBri studying.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The obvious solution is to keep the robes.

Or are you skipping the call?

Can't skip my call. No point in doing my bar courses and all 12 months of articling and not do an actual bar admission. I just feel lovely for making my boss pay for my robes while knowing I won't be staying.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Green Crayons posted:

AMPs are literally the best part of BarBri studying.
They remind me of CALI but kiiiiind of a time suck.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Vote Republican posted:

How are you handling it? It's a shakedown, clearly, but it's not enough to go to a district attorney, and you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

I'm suing to pierce to corporate veil and will get judgment against him personally.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Does me posting a news article here about an open case, without comment other than to call it hosed up poo poo, violate my duty not to discuss a pending case with the media? Is this forum considered media? What if I just link to the article on https://www.adn.com and call it "Tied For First Place Worst Crime Ever Committed?"

This is an ethical quandary I have.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Would it make, I don't know, Wyatt Earp or someone roll over in his grave?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Fitzgerald

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

Would it make, I don't know, Wyatt Earp or someone roll over in his grave?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Fitzgerald

Yes.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

BigHead posted:

Does me posting a news article here about an open case, without comment other than to call it hosed up poo poo, violate my duty not to discuss a pending case with the media? Is this forum considered media? What if I just link to the article on https://www.adn.com and call it "Tied For First Place Worst Crime Ever Committed?"

Yeeeeeep make sure that one never gets out tia

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
:stare:

What the gently caress, Anchorage?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I just had my first Hamilton interview. The 20 minute interview ended up lasting 45 minutes and the partner and associate conducting the interview both did the same undergrad at the same university, so we had plent to talk about. I have a pretty good feeling about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

You can leave off the 'hosed up poo poo' comment and be OK. Trust us a little; even non-prosecutors will come to the same conclusion. We'll even presume that you, as a prosecutor, feel the same way.

Sometimes, the only 'win' is convincing the state not to kill a third person.