Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Anyone playing the new Ultima game? It's pretty buggy - I'm at a spot where I'm supposed to get a new spell to get past a part, but I can't select the spell.

There's an iOS Ultima game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Corridor posted:

It's a freemium horrorshow from EA.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bummey posted:

It was a fad for a few hours until we all got sick of each other playing the game wrong. I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm over it.

I'm not playing it wrong, YOU ARE. :mad: Also the servers shat themselves and that made me give up the game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

Any goons still playing Say the Same Thing? This game scratches an itch I've always had, but most of my goon partners seem to have stopped or aren't playing often at all. Add SpeakY10k and know, if I'm not playing it is because I work ~50 hours a week bartending, and another 10-20 doing construction--but I play nearly every day, and when I do, I session play.

I'll add you. I got like four of my friends hooked on it too.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Same; servers have been kinda lovely, but still playing two games with trustywren, I'm on as duckfarts. I do session play when possible, but a few times a day otherwise.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

It's a freemium horrorshow from EA.

Hahaha I gotta see this. Is there a link? I'm not seeing it in app store.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005
I think it's only available in the US+Canada stores at the moment.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ultima-forever-quest-for-avatar/id591541650?mt=8

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

freeb0rn posted:

I think it's only available in the US+Canada stores at the moment.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ultima-forever-quest-for-avatar/id591541650?mt=8

I opened it just long enough to make a character. Now I'm getting tons of "The Gypsy is waiting for you." and "Come back to Britannia, Stranger! We miss you." notifications. Doesn't bode well for the game being anything but the freemium crap previous posters have described it as. :sigh:

Seraji
Oct 28, 2007

Please wait while custom title and avatar loads...
Battlestone is a pretty fun action / lite rpg and there is already a small 'Goon Squad' guild.

Decent graphics and controls pretty well both on the iPhone and iPad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BGrifter posted:

I opened it just long enough to make a character. Now I'm getting tons of "The Gypsy is waiting for you." and "Come back to Britannia, Stranger! We miss you." notifications. Doesn't bode well for the game being anything but the freemium crap previous posters have described it as. :sigh:

Just read the App Store description: "**This is a highly detailed game of superior quality.**" How could it possibly be crap?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Corridor posted:

Coming from a UO veteran, don't play this

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

How dare you!

(Can you abuse z-levels by stacking bread?)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Reciprocator posted:

How dare you!

(Can you abuse z-levels by stacking bread?)

Not even a single "corp por" uttered :(

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So the iPad version of Poker Night 2 runs like a dream (as opposed to the stuttery, freezing mess that is the ps3 version I played before). Of course it lacks any of the bonuses for completing the challenges but if you're down for playing poker with fictional characters complete with banter it's pretty fun.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just want to see how far the license has strayed from its parent.

The art actually looks pretty awesome. Too bad the game itself looks kinda bad even from the tiny screencaps.

This has got me thinking how hard I'd play an iOS U7. You'd need to do a fair bit of typing though so I guess it wouldn't work.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Sad lions posted:

So the iPad version of Poker Night 2 runs like a dream (as opposed to the stuttery, freezing mess that is the ps3 version I played before). Of course it lacks any of the bonuses for completing the challenges but if you're down for playing poker with fictional characters complete with banter it's pretty fun.

Just bought this for a plane ride. Pretty excited.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Any decent lucasarts-style adventure games out there? I already beat beneath a steel sky.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Corridor posted:

I just want to see how far the license has strayed from its parent.

The art actually looks pretty awesome. Too bad the game itself looks kinda bad even from the tiny screencaps.

This has got me thinking how hard I'd play an iOS U7. You'd need to do a fair bit of typing though so I guess it wouldn't work.

You can be a fighter, or a Mage! What choices!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sad lions posted:

Odd that you mention that because the TouchArcade review tore it apart for being choppy.

Of course, the reviewer didn't mention what device he used to play the game, which would make a huge difference.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Odd that you mention that because the TouchArcade review tore it apart for being choppy.

Of course, the reviewer didn't mention what device he used to play the game, which would make a huge difference.

Well I'm on an ipad 4 so I've had no hiccups.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'll still play STST, but when the servers bug out it gets me irritated, because I just want to play a few rounds on my break. GC is SpookyLizard, add me, especially if you wanna STST about stargate

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Any decent lucasarts-style adventure games out there? I already beat beneath a steel sky.

There's a couple of Monkey Island games both the updated versions of the originals and the Tell Tale Games game (and i you like the TTG games Sam and Max and The Walking Dead are available too) I also have Gemini Rue and The Silen Age which may or may not scratch tha itch o ou.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

I'll still play STST, but when the servers bug out it gets me irritated, because I just want to play a few rounds on my break. GC is SpookyLizard, add me, especially if you wanna STST about stargate

Yeah, every other word with this guy is frickin' "go'uld" or some poo poo. :jerkbag:

I'm just kidding. We've had some pretty good ones. :v:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SquadronROE posted:

You might like Hector (first episode being "we negotiate with terrorists"). It's got a pretty solid sense of humor.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shalinor posted:

You might like Hector (first episode being "we negotiate with terrorists"). It's got a pretty solid sense of humor.

Excellent! I'll check out Hector and maybe one of the Telltale games. Thanks, you're totally mod.

EDIT: Awful puns aren't probatable, are they?

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 26, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

You're playing it wrong.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Apparently 6 rounds takes too long for forums poster Bummey.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Yeah, every other word with this guy is frickin' "go'uld" or some poo poo. :jerkbag:

I'm just kidding. We've had some pretty good ones. :v:

This is what happens when I watch Stargate AND play STST.

Nothing beats that game where we were off by, like, an apostrophe or whatever.

:spergin:and it's goa'uld:

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 26, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Has anyone played Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator on iOS (or PC)? Is it any good? It reads like a more serious Spaceteam.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Curiosity app finally finished, here's the video sent to the winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhzb9OUWrXU

The winner gets to help the dev team on Godus make decisions "They are the god of the god game", and gets a share of the profits on Godus.

Not that interesting of a prize for most people, especially people who aren't the winner, but still fits the "life changing" category for the winner, I guess.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
So, I purchased Frozen Synapse and I hate it. I'm not mad for buying it, it's just I really can't get into it. Unless there's something about it I'm missing?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

FLX posted:

Has anyone played Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator on iOS (or PC)? Is it any good? It reads like a more serious Spaceteam.

It's really good, and it's cross platform. It's not really that much like Spaceteam, because Spaceteam is really more of a yelling-silly-words-simulator with a sci-fi theme.

At the absolute least you need two people, one for helm and one for weapons/science, but you need a third for engineering to really make things work. A fourth means you can have a dedicated science officer, and that's even better. A person who is only doing comms can get kind of bored, though some of our funniest experiences involved our comms guy getting most of an enemy fleet to surrender. We usually had the science officer double as comms, mainly to tell the nearby space stations to manufacture as many nukes as possible. So, while you're technically supposed to play with 6 people, we usually combined captain/helm and science/comms.

The creator was reluctant to let people connect online at first (he wanted them to be on a LAN in the same room), but eventually he relented and my friends have had a lot of fun playing while on Teamspeak. I've even used my iPad as a second screen while I played on my laptop.

TL;DR - It's a lot of fun as long as you have a group of friends to play with and at least one of them can get the server-side stuff running.

EDIT:

Kolta posted:

So, I purchased Frozen Synapse and I hate it. I'm not mad for buying it, it's just I really can't get into it. Unless there's something about it I'm missing?

If you think you might be missing something then my tips are:

-Who wins a firefight is based on "time to kill", which is effected by movement speed, weapon type, distance, and cover. The key is to predict your enemies movements and have your guys in better positions.
-With that in mind, you can give orders to the enemy units. That way the simulation will tell you who will win if they do what you think they will do. Simulate simulate simulate before you commit.

If you don't like the gameplay then hey, you don't like the gameplay. That's too bad but not every game is for everyone

runchild fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 26, 2013

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Kolta posted:

It's hard to say what you're missing without knowing what you're getting. I've said before I think the important thing about Frozen Synapse is to lose your first 20 off games as soon as possible.

I think the two worst things about it are that the active population is mostly very experienced players which makes it tough on new ones, and that that there is pretty much a linear relation between how much time you are willing to spend on a move and your chances of winning.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
This new endless runner Dead Ahead is really impressing me so far. Gorgeous art, and riding a scooter through a zombie apocalypse while avoiding obstacles and shooting guns at pursuers is a lot of fun. Has all the usual mini-objectives to aim for, and a series of unlocks in the form of new weapons and bikes. Absolutely worth the download.

Tempted to drop a dollar to remove the ads, but for two dollars you ditch the ads and get the motorcycle from Akira. That's really goddamn tempting.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MissMarple posted:

It's hard to say what you're missing without knowing what you're getting. I've said before I think the important thing about Frozen Synapse is to lose your first 20 off games as soon as possible.

I think the two worst things about it are that the active population is mostly very experienced players which makes it tough on new ones, and that that there is pretty much a linear relation between how much time you are willing to spend on a move and your chances of winning.

Linear relation in what way? The longer time spent?

Genuine questions. FS is seriously amazing and if it was a woman, and the iPad was a man, they would be happily married.

And you can watch other matches, cluster theory and the other one both apply to human behavioural patterns. But are meaningless in FS.

Winning is all about being the seperate, and proper 'and move, and fire' tactical coordinations. And why is green safe and red danger? Surely it should be the opposite, red tomatoes are good, green tomatoes are bad. A red light shouldn't be a moment to stop, think of that red juicy tomato.

And boom. That's just the mind games people use on FS.......................

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVl-8GgFQkw
Plus its hilarious when you try to learn the game modes. Here for instance, neither I nor my opponent realized that hostages are controllable until my entire rescue team was dead. :v:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Det_no posted:

I have to say, Dead Ahead is probably the first endless runner that has gotten my attention in a very long time if only because it looks gorgeous. I just wish the ads were a bit less annoying but I guess that's just all the more encouragement to throw the game a couple bucks.
I'll have to give it a go, I've been playing Jetpack Joyride on and off since it came out. It's a pretty good pooping game.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Can anybody explain how wishes work in Wazhack? How much gold do you need to dip in the fountain in order to get granted something good?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Just bought this for a plane ride. Pretty excited.

Played Poker Night 2 all through the plane ride. There was a little choppiness in the opening on my Retina iPad, but once I got into gameplay it was really smooth.

I've not played a lot of poker, so the game mocking me for doing really stupid poo poo was useful. Also, the banter was really funny, even though I've only played Borderlands and Portal out of all the games and movies referenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

FLX posted:

Artemis itself is great, the ipad client has been incredibly unreliable for us though - life is great for all the PC and android clients, and for ipad servers, but we've had a horrorshow of a time with ipad2 clients.

• Locked thread