Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
This and the matching deodorant for my Grandad:

And these for my Nan:

Who have just bought me this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Mechanix originals. I like gloves.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Gilgameshback posted:

Woot, do you know anything about the market for vintage midcentury furniture? I have a gigantic Eero Saarinen for Knoll white marble conference table (oval, about 100" long) that I would love to sell. The only problem is that it's too heavy for my entire family to lift.

I think it's this one, though it may be a little larger (not my picture):

DON'T TRY TO LIFT IT! You're going to want to have enough muscle to guarantee that the load is evenly distributed or you can very easily snap the marble in half. Your best bet is going to be to try and sell it locally, which can be easy or hard depending on where you're located (where are you located?). It's definitely worth a chunk of cash, but the main issue is going to be shipping and special handling costs. Most people would rather just buy new from Knoll with free delivery.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

woot fatigue posted:

DON'T TRY TO LIFT IT! You're going to want to have enough muscle to guarantee that the load is evenly distributed or you can very easily snap the marble in half. Your best bet is going to be to try and sell it locally, which can be easy or hard depending on where you're located (where are you located?). It's definitely worth a chunk of cash, but the main issue is going to be shipping and special handling costs. Most people would rather just buy new from Knoll with free delivery.

Oh, not to worry, we know better than to attempt to move it. I don't think we could even budge it enough to damage it if we tried.

I'm in New England, so maybe I'll post it on Craigslist and hope for a buyer who owns a trucking company and employs lots of huge dudes. I checked the Knoll site and it doesn't look like they offer this size any more - I don't know if that would be an advantage or disadvantage, or what a new one would cost.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I booked myself onto a PADI Open Water Diver course. Cost £325, and I'll be investing in a good wet suit and stuff from the dive shop I'm receiving instruction at, but this is something I've always wanted to do. Now that I've got the money I can finally do it.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

Besides not being a desk chair under $800 in any way, shape, or form, those Ekornes chairs are some of the ugliest, most orthopedic looking things I have ever seen. Does it require a prescription? Sure, it's great if you want comfort and don't give a drat about aesthetics or design, but I can guarantee you there will never be an Ekornes chair in MoMA's permanent collection. Herman Miller, however...

I appreciate the aesthetics and advice you give to people when they're asking for desk chairs (including myself!), but you're turning into a shill for Herman Miller at this point. Its great that you can spend tens of thousands of dollars on high end interior design items from the same manufacturer, but you might want to spice up your recommendations with some variety.

For content, I bought a bike. My local bike shop is finishing the build today and I'm picking it up after work!

I also got a beefy lock for it, because it was about twice as expensive as my old, stolen bike (edit: my old bike that was stolen from me, hurr), and it is hilariously giant - weighs about 10 lbs.

Menstrual Show has a new favorite as of 20:48 on May 23, 2013

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Finally picked up a proper pad for fightan games. I don't play enough fighters to justify a proper stick and hey, it was cheap. So far it's pretty good. Half-circle motions are pretty easy to do. I'm not feeling the R2/L2, they feel a bit flimsy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tazzillekki posted:

Finally picked up a proper pad for fightan games. I don't play enough fighters to justify a proper stick and hey, it was cheap. So far it's pretty good. Half-circle motions are pretty easy to do. I'm not feeling the R2/L2, they feel a bit flimsy.

If you do want a cheap stick, GameStop might still have the WWE Brawl sticks for 30 bucks. They're really good for that price.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I unpacked my nebulizer for the first time since my move four months ago to discover that the rod the hose mounts on had snapped off some time during transit and was now useless even if it ran, so I needed a new one.

Who says medical equipment can't be adorable?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gushing Granny posted:

I booked myself onto a PADI Open Water Diver course. Cost £325, and I'll be investing in a good wet suit and stuff from the dive shop I'm receiving instruction at, but this is something I've always wanted to do. Now that I've got the money I can finally do it.

Don't buy anything until you're sure you like it. I've seen way too many people drop a bunch of money on diving only to do it once or twice and realize they hate it. If you want to buy something, get a mask and snorkel, as those are multi-use.

Scheme
Jul 31, 2005
//Fresh//

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

mesc posted:

I also got a beefy lock for it, because it was about twice as expensive as my old, stolen bike (edit: my old bike that was stolen from me, hurr), and it is hilariously giant - weighs about 10 lbs.

Smart move on the nice lock. I had a cheap lock that someone cut through, and decided I'd never let that happen again.
I got the mini U version, and it's kept my high end road bike safe in many different situations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Oh god, why? I don't know what I'm doing but I know it'll end with broken wood and splinters everywhere.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

:bandwagon:

I'm liking it a lot so far! It looks really nice and it's obviously high quality, but it'll take time getting used to it making me sit so upright. I'm normally a horrible, slouching slob, so I guess it's for the best.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I bought some new kicks for the summer (Supra Skytop III "Brady"):

half-price on Ebay for being worn once, they look pretty awesome.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Basic Beater posted:

I'm liking it a lot so far! It looks really nice and it's obviously high quality, but it'll take time getting used to it making me sit so upright. I'm normally a horrible, slouching slob, so I guess it's for the best.

Not any more it's not. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6187080.stm

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you live in Texas you know what's up. Memorial Day :burger: can commence.

edit: HEB is a grocery chain in Texas. They just started selling it this weekend.

George H.W. Cunt has a new favorite as of 23:23 on May 25, 2013

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

SaltLick posted:

WHAT. Where did you buy this? Google is suggesting H-E-B?

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Basic Beater posted:

Oh hell yes. You really jumped on that. Did they actually have four in stock?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Gilgameshback posted:

Oh, not to worry, we know better than to attempt to move it. I don't think we could even budge it enough to damage it if we tried.

I'm in New England, so maybe I'll post it on Craigslist and hope for a buyer who owns a trucking company and employs lots of huge dudes. I checked the Knoll site and it doesn't look like they offer this size any more - I don't know if that would be an advantage or disadvantage, or what a new one would cost.

Man, that would look so awesome in my house but it would never fit up the stairs. A drat shame cause I live in New England also. How big is the diameter?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oh, that's not how my old chair was. It was more like, rear end on the front edge, back on the middle of the back. This one I actually lean back with my entire back supported!

woot fatigue posted:

Oh hell yes. You really jumped on that. Did they actually have four in stock?

They had three when I went in, so now they just have two. I'd bring in some clorox wipes if/when you go in. The arms of the ones I looked at were kinda dingy, but the one I picked wiped up well. There were also some cosmetic scratches/dings in the arms, but nothing too bad.

Scholtz has a new favorite as of 21:43 on May 25, 2013

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I got this:

At Best Buy for only $60. :toot:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

SaltLick posted:

edit: HEB is a grocery chain in Texas. They just started selling it this weekend.

Shut the gently caress up. I live in Arizona and we have Whataburger and I'll drive 20 miles for the ketchup alone. Having my dad who lives in Texas stop by today and send me 10 bottles of it.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

SaltLick posted:

Dear christ. I need this. Time to call some family up. I think there is a whataburger in Arizona? And I'm always tempted to take the 6 hour drive.

My purchase

Thanks target

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

squarerandom posted:

Thanks target

I saw some Spongebob boxers in the men's section at Wal-Mart a few days ago (not the kid's section, actually in adult sizes) that was just his face, and his phallic nose went right around the fly.

I couldn't stop laughing at it, and if I'd had the extra money, I totally would have bought them just for the novelty factor.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw some Spongebob boxers in the men's section at Wal-Mart a few days ago (not the kid's section, actually in adult sizes) that was just his face, and his phallic nose went right around the fly.

I couldn't stop laughing at it, and if I'd had the extra money, I totally would have bought them just for the novelty factor.

The most inside of jokes.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Skrill.exe posted:

The most inside of jokes.

Gonna tell the lady there's a hologram message left for her in this R2 unit and she needs to see it :pervert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

squarerandom posted:

Gonna tell the lady there's a hologram message left for her in this R2 unit and she needs to see it :pervert:

"Help me squarerandom, you're my only hope!" :mmmhmm:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I was having dinner in Chinatown last night and walked past a little shop that was selling random knick knacks and tchotchkes so I bought a bunch of weird buttons (half of them are punk bands and half are anime):

And a pill capsule necklace (apparently it's from the anime Reborn) that screws apart so you can hide your drugs inside it although it's not much bigger than a real 00 size capsule so I'm not sure how many drugs you could really fit inside it:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 brand new in sealed box

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 Professional Edition complete in box with handwritten receipt from when it was new:

For $9 at a garage sale.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

evobatman posted:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 Professional Edition complete in box with handwritten receipt from when it was new:

For $9 at a garage sale.

Enjoy the fantastic manual.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Daimo posted:

Enjoy the fantastic manual.

That's why I got it. I long for back in the day when I could decide which game to buy from the weight of the box it came in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

evobatman posted:

That's why I got it. I long for back in the day when I could decide which game to buy from the weight of the box it came in.

I really love Steam, but I also kind of miss the massive boxes with cardboard trays of yore :(

carnivaljunkie
Apr 7, 2006

What's it like in funny little brains? It must be so boring.

Finally got myself a proper TV stand. We'd been using a converted night stand. But now we're proper as gently caress. Got the xbox and DVDs a nice little home.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

carnivaljunkie posted:

Finally got myself a proper TV stand. We'd been using a converted night stand. But now we're proper as gently caress. Got the xbox and DVDs a nice little home.

Pictures please!

Edit: Nevermind, my computer just didn't load the image...

App13 has a new favorite as of 20:08 on May 26, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

12 Bottles of Fentimans Curiosity Cola. I wish the supermarkets would stock more of their stuff instead of just ginger beer and dandelion and burdock. :argh:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

A Sloth posted:

12 Bottles of Fentimans Curiosity Cola. I wish the supermarkets would stock more of their stuff instead of just ginger beer and dandelion and burdock. :argh:

I saw some of this today, was very tempted. They had the cherry cola too. I went for fruit juice though, hurray for health etc.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

For everyone interested in the Whataburger ketchup, they sell both of those and their mustard on Amazon.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

I saw some of this today, was very tempted. They had the cherry cola too. I went for fruit juice though, hurray for health etc.
Isn't fruit juice just sugar and water just like that cola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'd imagine there's a better chance of vitamins and less carbonated water in fruit juice.

• Locked thread