Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Dr. Video Games 0156 posted:

Hi, related cleric leveling question: I'm hopping into this game and I'm planning to level a cleric alongside a (rogue) friend.

I was looking at the ranged dps trees (Inquisitor and Cabalist and maybe Defiler?) and it was really difficult for me to tell if they were going to be good trees to "duo" with. All my research points to melee clerics for leveling, though. The most 3 popular things I've seen are the Justicar one you linked, a justicar/inquisitor/shaman total 3-way split, and a druid one.

Is it unreasonable to try to level primarily as ranged even when I'm going to have melee backup? I don't want to make a stupid choice just for playstyle. If you have a recommendation in this vein that would be cool.

The cool thing about Rift, that you don't seem to quite grasp at this juncture, is that your soul choice can be changed any time you talk to your trainer. You can zero out your points and then swap anything into anything else for a few gold (which inhabits the same relative spot as silver in WoW). If you feel you've made a stupid choice you can always reset and try something else out. It's not like WoW where if you chose Shaman at creation and then find out Resto is kind of a crappy healing spec this tier/expansion and you just go 'Welp' and either reroll from the ground up or suffer. Rift is much more flexible. Also, you know how WoW has dual spec? Rift has the same system it just has 6 specs instead of 2 (The first of which is dirt loving cheap. Pick it up as soon as possible to have both a DPS and a Heal spec at the drop of a hat for instance), and after 2.3 it appears you'll be able to purchase even more which I know sounds like a ridiculous addition but a lot of people were bumping up against only having 6 spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Asking one last time, maybe someone can answer?

IA's really are a blast to level with. You just enter and run around with a mob killing poo poo and not worrying about anything.

raids are at 2am-5am london time, which is 3am-6am in germany, on thursday, friday and tuesday mornings. i'm a maintank so i generally show up to all of them, but hey, if you show up, you'll probably get a spot. just have 400 hit and know how to play your class in a dps or support role.

also, i probably won't be around this week for raids, gonna be hella busy overseas.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Kreczor posted:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gen...ng-50-60-a.html

Warriors literally 4 button leveling guide is really, really easy to use. Make sure you grab those warlord points first.
50-60 is not a Leveling Spec For New Players. :colbert:

Eltoasto posted:

Well I made a nice mage one! The other classes need to step up and follow my example :colbert:
You didn't link it!

Right now, I'm leveling Justicar simply because every other goddamn guide out there either:
A) Assumes you're coming back, are starting at 50, and know what the gently caress.
B) Doesn't have any detail about what to expect as you power through each section of levels. It just lumps the full build on you and says "build this" with no guidance as to what's useful/important/key to get or key to avoid.

The Justicar guide is the only one that has enough detail for a *new* player to succeed with. It's the only one I've found that actually teaches anything along the way. It's the gold standard for leveling build guides.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 27, 2013

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
To clarify, for cleric leveling, especially under 50, druid is GREAT! The only real downside is pet use, which is simply a personal pet peeve. If you don't mind using a pet, then here's the community standard leveling druid build/guide:
http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/cleric-guides/350701-solo-druid-inq-guide.html

edit: to the above poster:
I completely agree! That was the main reason I linked you that guide.
I know when I first started Rift as a cleric I followed a guide similar to that in content and depth and without something similar I probably wouldn't have stuck it out to level cap, at least not with cleric.
Unfortunately now coming back I searched and searched for something similar with as much consensus as had been in the past and it seems people just arent making guides with that depth anymore, at least not for cleric that I could find.

Reasonerr fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 27, 2013

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
any suggestions for mage pvp specs, sub 60?

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Kenny Rogers posted:

Except for the fact that it's completely viable for 10-50 as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are Clerics reasonably capable at playing the tank and DPS roles, or do they tend to be pressured into healing in groups?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ciaphas posted:

Are Clerics reasonably capable at playing the tank and DPS roles, or do they tend to be pressured into healing in groups?

All three tanks do very well at it. Even with raid tanking, it's a secondary thought. Now if all you do is dps, and you want to raid and only do dps, then make sure you are good at it. Otherwise they may start thinking about you healing.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Someone described Harbingers as Jedi, and now I can't unsee it. :psyduck:

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Kenny Rogers posted:

You didn't link it!

Right now, I'm leveling Justicar simply because every other goddamn guide out there either:
A) Assumes you're coming back, are starting at 50, and know what the gently caress.
B) Doesn't have any detail about what to expect as you power through each section of levels. It just lumps the full build on you and says "build this" with no guidance as to what's useful/important/key to get or key to avoid.

Cleric leveling to 50 made super simple! 16 points into justicar will make you pretty much invincible while leveling up since every attack will give you health and you will have a spammable self heal whenever you need it.

Level 10: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrhvVuo

Level 20: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrxMdvAubz0z

Level 30: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrlVdx00ovAubz0z

Level 40: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrlVdxzzsbzcMvAubz0z

Level 50: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrlVdxszsbzcGovAubz0zvV0z

Start by pulling mobs to you with vex and try to gather 5, use grim silence if one is ranged to bring it into melee range. Use Combined effort on cooldown then Strike of Judgement for your main single target attack, even justice for your AoE. The pet your going to be using is the Satyr, be sure to cast righteous mandate on it. If it looks like the pet is going to die, just re-summon a new one which will only take 2 seconds to cast. If your fighting an elite, go ahead and drop thorns and eruption of life on it for added dps, otherwise dont worry about those skills.

This is the easy route to level 50. Me personally, i would respec at level 36 out of justicar and put the points into inquisitor instead. You maintain good survivabilty but gain much better dps.

Beach Party fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 27, 2013

Kiwi Penguin
Oct 3, 2012

It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and stay angry.
This game, man. I decided to try a melee mage alt and I'm running around, got a lowbie quest to close a rift. So I hop into the closest one and do my 250 dps with a bunch of higher levels. And I'm confused, because why the hell are all these higher leveled dudes in here with my level 8 rear end?

And then I got my reward for closing the rift.

I'm just glad it's bind on account. Now I can roll around on my giant bug. :3:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The lowbie level crafting stuff has me a little confused. My inventory fills up far too fast and I don't know if I should be selling or banking or AHing all those tenderloins, burlap, etc. Should I just vendor stuff I'm not using for my professions, or is there a decent enough market for all levels that I should just keep managing bags?

Also, loving artifacts, how do they work? I don't really understand the artifact screen or what it means to make a set, or even if it's worth it. Should I bother picking that stuff up?

I noticed people my level (14) have mounts. Do I get that as part of a quest, or is it some sort of veteran reward? I see people riding horses, spiders, and some sort of floating manta ray.

Kiwi Penguin
Oct 3, 2012

Madcosby posted:

The lowbie level crafting stuff has me a little confused. My inventory fills up far too fast and I don't know if I should be selling or banking or AHing all those tenderloins, burlap, etc. Should I just vendor stuff I'm not using for my professions, or is there a decent enough market for all levels that I should just keep managing bags?

Also, loving artifacts, how do they work? I don't really understand the artifact screen or what it means to make a set, or even if it's worth it. Should I bother picking that stuff up?

I noticed people my level (14) have mounts. Do I get that as part of a quest, or is it some sort of veteran reward? I see people riding horses, spiders, and some sort of floating manta ray.

I'm finding that it's worth selling the low level stuff simply because I enjoy the gathering and the AH stuff. But the prices are not worth it if you'd rather just focus on leveling. You're not going to get rich, but it adds up; and when you put that with the quest stuff I have managed to have a decent stash of plat on my level 34. Sorry, not a definite answer - it's up to you, really, though I've found this on server the prices aren't going to be more than a few gold per.

Artifacts are things you find in random places, pick them up and collect them into sets to get rewards. You can use the lucky coins to buy poo poo or get mounts/pets. I don't know if there's any set way to find them or any known spawn points, I just get them as I go. You can also put them up on the AH, I know some of them are worth a good amount of plat, depending.

Mounts have no minimum level to get your first (a 60% speed), and they cost 2.5 plat. At level 25 you can get a faster speed for 25 plat. I just got a hellbug mount from closing a rift, which is a random drop, and I'm not sure where the other special ones are. Each side, Guardian and Defiance, have a unique mount (the Guardian looks like an antelope and an anteater had a baby and the Defiance looks like a mutated giraffe, needless to say I love them both) and then horses you can get. Defiance horses at 25 look like mechanical skeletons, Guardians have fancy armor. The slower horses are pretty standard. (I like mounts.) There's places to buy them on both sides, one near the first area you get to outside the starter area (the plain horses) and the rest in the main city for either faction.

Hope that helps! :) I'm brand new to this game, but that's what I've discovered so far, I'm sure someone else can give you much better answers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If you see people riding a:

*Horse that's on fire: That's from the Ascend-A-Friend program.
*Two-headed turtle: That's (probably) from the digital collector's edition of the original game. You can still buy this, actually, I think, for :10bux:.
*Flying manta-ray thingy: That's from a special offer called the "Storm Chaser Edition" of Storm Legion, but IIRC you can't get this anymore.
*Spider: This is from the "Ashes of History" version of original Rift. You can also buy this for :10bux:, and it comes with other benefits, like a personal banker summon ability.
*White tiger: This is from the Rift store for 15 bucks.

Note that all of the above mounts are given to you account-wide, and can be used from the moment you get out of the starting zone and get to a mailbox. That's probably why you see lots of them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Been playing the game for a week or so now, and since everyone was talking about mounts, I figured I'd chime in. One of the things I like about this game is that as long as you have enough cash, you can run right to the mounts vendor and get yourself one, even at a low level. None of this waiting until level 20 stuff. Even if you have alt-itis something fierce, as long as you have at least one main that is bringing in good cash via the auction house, you can make sure all your guys have some form of transport besides their own two feet. :v:

A lot of people have described this game as pretty much a nicer-looking version of WoW, and for the most part I find it to be exactly that, which might sound like a bit of a backhanded compliment but is really meant in the best possible light. A prettier version of WoW, with some of the more annoying features of WoW either tweaked or eliminated, and some of the better aspects of other games (such as the dyes and cosmetic wardrobe stuff in LotRO) incorporated. Hopefully the move to F2P will get it a bigger share of the MMO audience, because it's really a pretty darn good game. :)

Kiwi Penguin
Oct 3, 2012

Oh, hey, guess what - account-wide in Rift does not mean the same thing as account-wide in WoW. When you learn the mount on your alt, that means no one else can have it. Account-wide simply means you could mail it to another character, not that all of the toons on your accounts have it.

I did not know this.

:doh: :downs:

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Finally tried out the instant adventure system, I have to say more games should steal that poo poo.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Starter zones now have mailboxes.

If got any of the special mounts; white tiger, 2 headed turtle, spider etc you can claim them straight away for every character on every shard. :dance:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

*Flying manta-ray thingy: That's from a special offer called the "Storm Chaser Edition" of Storm Legion, but IIRC you can't get this anymore.

This pack is still available in Deeps Depot and in the online store, I grabbed it myself recently.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Any tips for lowbie warrior pvp? I've just been using what I use for leveling and it's kinda uhh...

Edit: After playing warfronts for a couple hours I'm beginning to think the daily is not worth the frustration. :stare:

LIMBO KING fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 27, 2013

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Could I get an invite on "Amberlina?"

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Does anyone know if the raptr codes will work with their Ascend a friend system?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Krabkolash posted:

Does anyone know if the raptr codes will work with their Ascend a friend system?

Don't see why not. Functionally counts as buying the game. Dunno if it'd count for paying for a month, though.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't see why not. Functionally counts as buying the game. Dunno if it'd count for paying for a month, though.

I didn't think of that. drat.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Krabkolash posted:

I didn't think of that. drat.

You might still get the side benefit of being able to summon that person to you every however long the cooldown is (30 min?), quite handy if both of you play a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LIMBO KING posted:

Finally tried out the instant adventure system, I have to say more games should steal that poo poo.

I wish it would stop putting me in Freemarch though. :mad:

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Hey, Riser here. My 30 days from the Raptr giveaway expired, so I'm probably out til F2P hits.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

If you see people riding a:
(...)
(...)
You can get it, it is the "Storm Legion™ – Infinity Upgrade".

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

erazure posted:

Hey, Riser here. My 30 days from the Raptr giveaway expired, so I'm probably out til F2P hits.

Hey woah, we were supposed to do things together now that I'm 60. Way to blow it off Riser!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Kiwi Penguin posted:

Oh, hey, guess what - account-wide in Rift does not mean the same thing as account-wide in WoW. When you learn the mount on your alt, that means no one else can have it. Account-wide simply means you could mail it to another character, not that all of the toons on your accounts have it.

I did not know this.

:doh: :downs:

This is wrong. Account wide on Rift means exactly that, every character in the account will get it (even in different servers). What you're talking about is Bound to Account items, when it comes to runes/mounts/collectibles then yeah it'll stay on the character that "eats" it.

Items that are account-wide from the different packs are mailed to every character you make/have made.

Also on that list is missing:
* (armorless) White tiger: This is from either the korean version of Rift or 36 month veteran reward.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Krabkolash posted:

They do! I gave my wife one, ascended her, then she added the code to her account and I got a corgi and a box of tokens instantly. Courage :3:

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Since I've gotten suckered back in and all, can I get my alts (actually a main and an alt) Kevos and Majarani into the guild?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Could I get an invite on "Amberlina?"

00Kevin posted:

Since I've gotten suckered back in and all, can I get my alts (actually a main and an alt) Kevos and Majarani into the guild?

sent

Kiwi Penguin
Oct 3, 2012

deimos posted:

This is wrong. Account wide on Rift means exactly that, every character in the account will get it (even in different servers). What you're talking about is Bound to Account items, when it comes to runes/mounts/collectibles then yeah it'll stay on the character that "eats" it.

Items that are account-wide from the different packs are mailed to every character you make/have made.

Also on that list is missing:
* (armorless) White tiger: This is from either the korean version of Rift or 36 month veteran reward.

Ah, I must have read it wrong, because it definitely didn't go to my other characters. I just saw whatever verbiage on the hellbug mount and thought it meant it would be available to all my characters and learned it on my lowbie alt. Which is why I shouldn't play at three in the morning, maybe, but.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Kiwi Penguin posted:

Ah, I must have read it wrong, because it definitely didn't go to my other characters. I just saw whatever verbiage on the hellbug mount and thought it meant it would be available to all my characters and learned it on my lowbie alt. Which is why I shouldn't play at three in the morning, maybe, but.

Stuff that you pick up in the world is not (generally) available to all your characters (but are *usually* account bound vs. soulbound so you can mail them). Items you get as part of a promotion, like the cyclone which came as part of the Storm Legion Storm Chaser edition is available to all your characters -- with those types of items you'll get one mailed to you each time you start a new character.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So they've said that people that bought the year subscription for the free expansion will get $50 in cash shop credit, have they said if we'll have patron status until that year is up as well?

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So they've said that people that bought the year subscription for the free expansion will get $50 in cash shop credit, have they said if we'll have patron status until that year is up as well?

When the F2P conversion happens, subscribers are being renamed "patrons". It's functionally the exact same thing, just a name change.

So if when the changeover happens you're subscribed until X Date, you will not be a "patron" until that X Date. Nothing about that is changing.

Hope that answered the question.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Kreczor posted:

Hey woah, we were supposed to do things together now that I'm 60. Way to blow it off Riser!

I'm sorry I'm one of the poors. :(

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

So, anyone got a good idea for a low level (22) build for a Mage to AOE the poo poo out of things in events? I still have very little what souls do what beyond Harb/Chloro owns for levelling and Pyro/Dom for warfronts.

I think tactician has spoiled me with its flame throwing goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
If I paid for a month of game time now would it give me all the beneficial exp/etc poo poo after the game is free 2 play for 2 weeks or whataver?

Oh god why am I considering playing again, I burned out on Storm Legion when I saw how slow it was compared to the current 1-50 sprint that is Instant Adventures.

Edit: I am too dumb to look literally 3 posts up :downs:

• Locked thread