Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Liu Bei is always portrayed generally righteously in Dynasty Warriors, because it's based more on RoTK instead of actual History, and Liu Bei and Shu were written as the hero of the book. It's not really that surprising. There's also some cultural stuff with that that I don't feel qualified to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Nominal hero in the book... and there I would daresay that Liu Bei seemed to actually have had more of a proactive role in his faction.

I guess I'm just spoiled by Ravages of Time's Liu Bei. "Lu Bu took Xiapi from Xiaopei, why can't I? Fake a truce, then pay him back when we can! :black101:"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bloodly posted:

The thing is made for multiplayer.

Hmm...eh, well, it's only 20 bucks, and it's more Dynasty Warriors I guess. I already knew that it had a bunch of crazy poo poo in it from looking at the costumes from it in WO3, where they're half made out of fire or look like a giant mech or something. I guess I'll pick it up, then.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I've finished the True Ending of Warriors Orochi 3 and now I'm interested in a game in the series that stays fresher for longer. I really like strategy and RPG elements, and I wish the AI characters were better equipped to simultaneously be doing things on their own while I do stuff. Is there a game that fits any of this out of Koei's Musou games?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I've finished the True Ending of Warriors Orochi 3 and now I'm interested in a game in the series that stays fresher for longer. I really like strategy and RPG elements, and I wish the AI characters were better equipped to simultaneously be doing things on their own while I do stuff. Is there a game that fits any of this out of Koei's Musou games?
Unfortunately, Musou is kind of its own thing, if it had more competition maybe it wouldn't be still so primitive mechanically. The closest thing is Capcom's Basara series, but that doesn't have any hint of the strategy stuff you're talking about, every stage is a completely linear deal.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd really love to recommend Samurai Warriors 3: Empires without the whole "you'll probably be playing it with translation guides" caveat.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Hopefully we don't get screwed over on Samurai Warriors 4 next year like anyone who didn't own a Wii did for SW3.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I bought Strikeforce last night and played a bit of it. It's actually kind of cool, although I'm already sick of the enemy officers flying around the stage where I can't hit them. The fight against Zhang Liao and his brothers was way more irritating than it should have been. It also seems like there's a lot less focus on mowing down tons of dudes, in that there aren't as many dudes and they're a lot beefier than the mooks are in other DW games. I'm also a bit disappointed in that my usual go to guy in Wei, Xiahou Dun, has a really slow and terrible default weapon.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

I bought Strikeforce last night and played a bit of it. It's actually kind of cool, although I'm already sick of the enemy officers flying around the stage where I can't hit them. The fight against Zhang Liao and his brothers was way more irritating than it should have been. It also seems like there's a lot less focus on mowing down tons of dudes, in that there aren't as many dudes and they're a lot beefier than the mooks are in other DW games. I'm also a bit disappointed in that my usual go to guy in Wei, Xiahou Dun, has a really slow and terrible default weapon.

Make sure you're using lock on, awakened mode, and jump/dash chi. It's pretty easy to keep up with any flying enemy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone who actually gave Dynasty Warriors Online a chance: at least on the Japanese side of things, it's getting patched to overhaul the graphics, change the canon characters to their Dynasty Warriors 7 versions and adding Jin, while on the game mechanics side of things adding DW7/DW8 weapon-switching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OahRB_0XFw&hd=1

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So in case anyone forgot, Samurai Warriors 4 is still on track for 2014. Capcom said this week that they plan to reveal information about Sengoku BASARA 4 this Summer, so we'll finally find out how they plan to keep this going despite being almost out of Sengoku history.

Kamen Rider: Battride War came out last week in Japan, does anyone know how it turned out? I see it's going for as low as $82 on eBay, but with all these PS3/3DS/Vita things coming out this Summer I don't really want to drop that much unless the game is more than just decent.

Buzzman
Feb 21, 2011
So what's the opinion on DW8? I've been done with DW7 and WO3 for a while now and I'm interested in trying out Empires. But with 8 coming out so soon I'm kind kind of going back and forth on what to choose.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Buzzman posted:

So what's the opinion on DW8? I've been done with DW7 and WO3 for a while now and I'm interested in trying out Empires. But with 8 coming out so soon I'm kind kind of going back and forth on what to choose.
I think it's the best one so far, even in spite of its new random mission mode thing being a pile of poo poo. They finally got rid of ALL weapon clones, and added a paper rock scissors system to weapons that actually makes having two weapons meaningful. The what if story scenarios are dumb as hell but pretty creative mission designs, and there are some tricky to get bonus objectives necessary to unlock them, like WO1 had but not 2 or 3.

Anyway it's good.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Suben posted:

Hopefully we don't get screwed over on Samurai Warriors 4 next year like anyone who didn't own a Wii did for SW3.

I owned a Wii and I still wouldn't pick that game up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it's the best one so far, even in spite of its new random mission mode thing being a pile of poo poo. They finally got rid of ALL weapon clones, and added a paper rock scissors system to weapons that actually makes having two weapons meaningful. The what if story scenarios are dumb as hell but pretty creative mission designs, and there are some tricky to get bonus objectives necessary to unlock them, like WO1 had but not 2 or 3.

Anyway it's good.

I'm eager as hell for this. Even if the 'what if' modes are stupid, it's still just plain more to do. The Warriors franchise has me conditioned with a really low-set bar for content as long as I get out there and can whup some clone army rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, I take back what I said about Samurai Warriors having hilariously bad voice acting. Some of it is goddamn impressive, particularly Nobunaga and Magoichi. I will say that the female voices are all awful (apart from Nohime), but a lot of the VAs are excellent.

You still get the goofy ones like Yoshimoto, Masamune and Hideyoshi (He built the castle in just one day!), but I am really impressed with most of the acting. Especially after comparing it with the second game's godawful dub.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Kingdom Under Fire 2 sounds like what you are looking for, but who knows when it is going to be released.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Vakal posted:

Kingdom Under Fire 2 sounds like what you are looking for, but who knows when it is going to be released.

b-b-but Wikipedia says that it's coming out at the end of this month! :qq:

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
After my terrible experience with one of the 360 Samurai Warrior games years ago i picked up Sengoku Basara on the ps3 and powered through Masamune's Campaign and i've got to say i really like this as it satisfies my killing lots of dudes in historical anime Japan craving i've been having lately.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Vakal posted:

I kinda want to recommend Bladestorm: The Hundred Year's War. It's not that action-y, but it sorta fits what he's looking for in strategy and RPG elements.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm playing Warriors Orochi 3 and working on getting all of those locked missions that want you to have high ranks with specific characters. Is there a better way to do so, besides just have a couple of tea ceremonies with them?

Also I grabbed the other two mounts. Red Hare and Mustakaze(?) Is there supposed to be something special about them? They don't seem to have anything going for them, aside from being faster than the first horse you're given.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I'm playing Warriors Orochi 3 and working on getting all of those locked missions that want you to have high ranks with specific characters. Is there a better way to do so, besides just have a couple of tea ceremonies with them?

Also I grabbed the other two mounts. Red Hare and Mustakaze(?) Is there supposed to be something special about them? They don't seem to have anything going for them, aside from being faster than the first horse you're given.
I dunno for sure but I assume they have much higher plough-through-enemy-grunts capability as well.

And yeah, tea parties, tea parties like a motherfucker.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno for sure but I assume they have much higher plough-through-enemy-grunts capability as well.

And yeah, tea parties, tea parties like a motherfucker.

Prelude to Apocalypse requires you to: "have made allies of all the officers except for those obtained at the end of Chapter 4." Am I supposed to increase the bonds with everyone or just have all the characters? I feel like I'm either over analyzing this or not getting it at all.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

RareAcumen posted:

Prelude to Apocalypse requires you to: "have made allies of all the officers except for those obtained at the end of Chapter 4." Am I supposed to increase the bonds with everyone or just have all the characters? I feel like I'm either over analyzing this or not getting it at all.

No, it mean's you need to have unlocked everyone that isn't a game clear unlock.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The GIG posted:

No, it mean's you need to have unlocked everyone that isn't a game clear unlock.

Oh thank God.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

For anyone who actually gave Dynasty Warriors Online a chance: at least on the Japanese side of things, it's getting patched to overhaul the graphics, change the canon characters to their Dynasty Warriors 7 versions and adding Jin, while on the game mechanics side of things adding DW7/DW8 weapon-switching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OahRB_0XFw&hd=1

Well I'd waste time and money on that.

EDIT: Regarding the SW2 voice-acting, I never heard Steve Blum's Keiji, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing (he sounds fine, and surfer dude seems to fit his goofy look, imo). I actually liked Hideyoshi's voice acting, its somewhat goofy, but not so much that you can't take him seriously. I liken him to middle-aged guy going through a mid-life crisis and Japan is his overpriced sports car.

In fact, one of my biggest marks against WO2 was they changed all the voice actors for the SW cast (at least in the English version). Hideyoshi in particular made me want to jab needles into my ears.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 6, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vakal posted:

Seriously. If there wasn't actual gameplay footage on the main site, it would be obvious vaporware.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

Seriously. If there wasn't actual gameplay footage on the main site, it would be obvious vaporware.
I dunno I'm gonna keep calling it vaporware until it is actually in my hand.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Guan Yu's gag weapon in DW8 has an attribute that causes it to have a chance of doing a set amount of damage to a blocking opponent which seems to be based on a percentage of their hit point total and ignores defenses. I just used this to beat Lu Bu in his first appearance, on the highest difficulty level (which didn't get me anything special it seems), it ignored the ultrabuff the game gives him there. Has there always been a weapon attribute like that or is it now?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That sounds like Flash to me. Is it still called Flash? Was it ever called Flash? Whatever the one is that always has a chance to insta-kill peons; it can also do loads of damage to officers.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey I've been meaning to ask, do you still get Nobunyaga free if you buy DW7:E off the PSN? I know it got "re-released" on the store but the previews still show him as the first image, and I'm not dropping $50 unless its possible to get him. I took a quick gander at some of the separate costume DLC and didn't see the stuff there, so I assume that it is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kurui Reiten posted:

That sounds like Flash to me. Is it still called Flash? Was it ever called Flash? Whatever the one is that always has a chance to insta-kill peons; it can also do loads of damage to officers.
No, that's separate, in Japanese it's called zangeki (slash), this one is called senpuu (gust).

I just checked a Japanese DW7 faq and it had a big red warning saying this attribute breaks the game like a motherfucker so if you don't want that don't use it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 7, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Guan Yu's gag weapon in DW8 has an attribute that causes it to have a chance of doing a set amount of damage to a blocking opponent which seems to be based on a percentage of their hit point total and ignores defenses. I just used this to beat Lu Bu in his first appearance, on the highest difficulty level (which didn't get me anything special it seems), it ignored the ultrabuff the game gives him there. Has there always been a weapon attribute like that or is it now?

I loved Guan Yu in WO3 because his C5 was absolutely ruinous, and his musou was amongst my favorite for dealing with officer battles. Does he still have those attacks going for him?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I remember playing the first Samurai Warriors and liking the voice acting, or at least not hating it.

Then I played Samurai Warriors 2, holy poo poo, did Koei have a falling out with all their good voice actors?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Raserys posted:

I remember playing the first Samurai Warriors and liking the voice acting, or at least not hating it.

Then I played Samurai Warriors 2, holy poo poo, did Koei have a falling out with all their good voice actors?

I think they were experimenting with ways to cut localization costs. I believe they outsourced it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm fine if a SW title never sees voice acting again so long as Nobunaga is always performed like a perpetually amused Japanese vampire on antidepressants. That he doesn't need.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

I loved Guan Yu in WO3 because his C5 was absolutely ruinous, and his musou was amongst my favorite for dealing with officer battles. Does he still have those attacks going for him?
I don't think any of his animations have changed since WO3. His second ground musou attack isn't significantly different than his first though, I was hoping for a grab, or something that moved forward, or something. They're both insane.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 7, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think any of his animations have changed since WO3. His second ground musou attack isn't significantly different than his first though, I was hoping for a grab, or something that moved forward, or something. They're both insane.

While I do love the grab musous in general, Guan Yu's musou staying where it's at is just dependable for me. And I swear the C5 was nowhere near as good as WO3 and PSVita's Next.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

RareAcumen posted:

They're faster and much higher off the ground, so a lot of projectiles don't hit you when riding them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

5er posted:

I'm fine if a SW title never sees voice acting again so long as Nobunaga is always performed like a perpetually amused Japanese vampire on antidepressants. That he doesn't need.

How can you not like Darth Nobunaga? Dude has a lightsaber and is always chuckling like Emperor Palpatine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

5er posted:

Sengoku Basara's Nobunaga is the best Nobunaga.