Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I guess this goes in here.

Justice's live setup. 3(4?) DJM-800's? Really? Am I just missing something or what.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2013/03/26/video-behind-justices-live-shows/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Firaga posted:

Justice's live setup. 3(4?) DJM-800's? Really? Am I just missing something or what.

Reminder...

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Firaga posted:

It possible they are just too lazy to do the proper routing in ableton for those 16 channels (it is a bitch to be fair), or that this setup has proven more reliable.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Gaspard's explanation:
“Yeah, poo poo happens! I remember the story, I couldn’t remember the city but i think it was in Manchester. I didn’t noticed at first, because as you can see I was looking at the computer to launch the next vocal hook and right after I realised that the blue screen went black, so there was no way possible it could work. So I plugged it back in, big deal!

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Anyone looking for a DJM-800 with an innofader?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/3708803330.html

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
So I picked up Traktor DJ on Ipad because someone gave me a gift card and I'm enjoying playing with it a lot more than I expected. I'm having a weird issue though that's probably just my lack of knowledge with apple devices. The library it gives me in the app is seemingly random tracks pulled from my music library on the computer. This is supposed to sync with itunes or with traktor itself right? It pulled those songs somehow, but I don't see any way to make it re-sync with my newly cleaned up my itunes library on the computer (which I never use otherwise). I'm really confused how it pulled those songs, especially since I had zero music on the actual Ipad (and still don't technically, I haven't transferred any music over to the device yet). Has anyone dealt with anything like this yet?

edit: Apparently I'm a retard. "Itunes" doesn't actually play music on the ipad (and doesn't show what music you have on the device if you didn't purchase it there) but the "Music" app does. It must have transferred songs to it at some point, nothing I did intentionally, but those tracks were on the device. I thought I was streaming it from my mbp some how :doh:

Pen Expers fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 31, 2013

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Has anybody ever seen/used an Emulator Pro setup? I'm really curious about how it works, specifically if it will work easily with any piece of software on your computer, or if it needs some help from the developers to support all the software they list there. I have a Lenovo X200t I could install the demo on, but it's kind of old and slow at multitasking, I don't have a bunch of the software I'd want to try on it. I think that could be ridiculously powerful in all sorts of applications if it's able to do that with any software easily.

I'm not a DJ but I run 6 or 7 different programs simultaneously sometimes to control or monitor various pieces of audio hardware remotely when I'm mixing an event, I could also use a badass, heavy duty, 22" 1920x1080 multitouch screen like their Kontrol Surface, but I'd definitely need some hands-on somewhere before I start saving up $1600 for one. And I'd need to make sure it was visible outside.

I heard about it because I'll be working on a project with one of the creators later this month, but it's a corporate thing we're both hired for. I might get to pick his brain a little but he probably won't have any of his hardware with him.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
I'll be traveling to Montreal for Mutek at the end of May, and then I'll be in NYC for a few days afterwards. Any recommendations on nights to try and book a gig in NYC? Mainly looking for underground Deep House / Bass / Tech-House. Would love to play a fun weekly or monthly while I'm in New York. If any of you have nights, or know of a fun night that I could try to contact, please let me know! Thanks!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Hey I made my first ever mix, it's a house mix and i don't really know what i am doing but maybe you can point me in the right direction? I think it is pretty good for being relatively clueless but who knows. It's only a little under 10 mins so not too much time investment.

https://soundcloud.com/z0d14c/house-muzik-mix-attempt

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
The Upfader on my Z2 has gone all screwy. No longer sending mid signals properly.

:smith:

Back to the store with you

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'd like a very simple setup for DJing hip hop at my friend's house parties. It seems like Traktor iPad + headphones + a single HS80M would be a good solution. I think the only accessories I'd need would be the wiring, a speaker stand and a stool. Any thoughts on how well this would work out?

Edit: holy poo poo Traktor for iPhone out today!

Edit edit: picked up a Mackie TH-15A and Bluetooth adapter for it. We'll see how DJing on my iPhone goes. :)

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 3, 2013

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Last night i played my first gig in a few years using Traktor on the iPad. This thing is awesome. I wish I had headphones, but not using them makes mixing much faster and more involved. I get bored very quickly now when I am playing only one song at a time. All of these things that used to be a huge pain in the rear end are now easy to do.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

bad day posted:

Last night i played my first gig in a few years using Traktor on the iPad. This thing is awesome. I wish I had headphones, but not using them makes mixing much faster and more involved. I get bored very quickly now when I am playing only one song at a time. All of these things that used to be a huge pain in the rear end are now easy to do.

You can if you have an A6 or A10 and a camera connection kit.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/traktor-dj/

Look under Monitor and cue on that page

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
You can also just use a splitter cable, though you'll only get mono out.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Blehhh, audio on traktor DVS system cutting skipping and stopping play back randomly. Friend told me its a needle problem but I dunno how right that is. Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Playback is fine with a controller so obviously its in the turntables somewhere.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Longtiem posted:

Blehhh, audio on traktor DVS system cutting skipping and stopping play back randomly. Friend told me its a needle problem but I dunno how right that is. Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Playback is fine with a controller so obviously its in the turntables somewhere.

Sounds like it could be a ground issue

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Longtiem posted:

Unhide the timecode signal display and watch for skips or channel/ground dropouts. It will visually tell you if something is not getting through properly

If playback is fine on a controller, then it's definitely a signal path issue with the timecode

VVVV exactly what I was referring to. It's showed inline in the track instead of in the setup screens like Serato

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 14, 2013

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Does Traktor have a timecode debug mode? In Serato you can see a representation of the timecode signal and troubleshoot based on how wonky it looks. But yeah, check grounds first.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Yes,

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/29/timecode-and-calibration-tutorial-problems/

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Word, I've never used Traktor but I assumed it had that.

Digital vinyl can be such a pain. I love playing on (digital) vinyl but there are so many things that can go wrong between the control records and your computer, especially if you're playing on equipment that isn't yours.

LISTEN TO ME
Jun 1, 2006

Crispy Chicken Slamwich
Yo, tell me about it. Last week I had to deal with a turntable with a ground that would just sort of short at random.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I have a love hate relationship with time code I think... had a pair of tables once where the ground was just two frayed and torn apart wires and I had to splice them together but I guess this is more of an issue where the club doesn't take good care of them.

My friend just got his tables a few months ago and they are already detecting the time code wrong, the pitch creeps for no reason so I'm nudging CONSTANTLY, almost unplayable.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Firaga posted:

My friend just got his tables a few months ago and they are already detecting the time code wrong, the pitch creeps for no reason so I'm nudging CONSTANTLY, almost unplayable.

Did he get them new? I'm assuming he knows how to balance a turntable needle correctly to not damage the vinyl, so it sounds like he should definitely call in and get a warranty replacement

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

mitztronic posted:

Did he get them new? I'm assuming he knows how to balance a turntable needle correctly to not damage the vinyl, so it sounds like he should definitely call in and get a warranty replacement

He got them used but he did his research and everything checked out. Carts and needles were brand new and he got them cleaned and balanced by a professional. Bad luck I guess.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If I'm not at all interested in re-launching my DJ career (which ended nearly 20 years ago) and just want to screw around with some new stuff for nostalgia's sake, is there anything inherently wrong with the cheaper Numark DJ controllers? It'd just be a toy for me and possibly for my son, and it might see "performance" use at the house if a bunch of us drunk 40-somethings start wanting to pump up the jam or turn it out or some other such foolishness. I'm kind of eyeballing a Mixtrack II, looks like it'd be a hell of a lot of fun without breaking the bank.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'm 31, never DJ'd before but been into "electronic" music since my teenage years. I started DJing a year ago with a Mixtrack Pro, and I've learned a lot and had LOTS of fun. I've played at a few parties, and was told that I "sound just like the pros" -whatever that means.
My point: Yeah, that should scratch your itch, and then last you a bit more. I'm currently trying to get my hands on CDJs because other DJs that want to invite me to play use them, and I'd like to be as flexible as showing up with a CD/USB wallet.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for the help guys, got everything back to smooth sailing. Y'all the best.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Acid Reflux posted:

If I'm not at all interested in re-launching my DJ career (which ended nearly 20 years ago) and just want to screw around with some new stuff for nostalgia's sake, is there anything inherently wrong with the cheaper Numark DJ controllers? It'd just be a toy for me and possibly for my son, and it might see "performance" use at the house if a bunch of us drunk 40-somethings start wanting to pump up the jam or turn it out or some other such foolishness. I'm kind of eyeballing a Mixtrack II, looks like it'd be a hell of a lot of fun without breaking the bank.

They're cheap and a bunch of fun. Nothing "wrong" with it man we all do this cause we like it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Good enough, then! I think I really just needed someone who wasn't an Amazon reviewer to tell me it was fine.

If I had the room for them, I'd likely already be sporting the set of old Numark turntables and a little Gemini 2-channel mixer that the local music store is selling for $175. It's all pretty low end equipment, but I really do miss using my vinyl. I still have a couple crates full of late 80s/early 90s stuff including more MC Hammer 12" singles than a man should probably admit to owning. Oh well, maybe someday...

Thanks for enabling me. :)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I am an Ableton kid. I produce in Ableton, I record in Ableton, and I make mixes in Ableton.

Well, I had a Novation TWITCH for a little bit and had a good time mixing in Serato, but it all seemed like too much for me and I went back to Ableton and sold my controller.

I've been pondering getting back into Serato but I probably wouldn't buy a $600 controller to get started with. Can someone recommend an inexpensive Serato/Traktor controller that meets the following criteria?:

- Compact/slim design
- Has buttons for triggering cues
- I prefer to work in Serato but I can also do Traktor
- Is generally well reviewed
- Inexpensive

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

tehschulman posted:

I am an Ableton kid. I produce in Ableton, I record in Ableton, and I make mixes in Ableton.

Well, I had a Novation TWITCH for a little bit and had a good time mixing in Serato, but it all seemed like too much for me and I went back to Ableton and sold my controller.

I've been pondering getting back into Serato but I probably wouldn't buy a $600 controller to get started with. Can someone recommend an inexpensive Serato/Traktor controller that meets the following criteria?:

- Compact/slim design
- Has buttons for triggering cues
- I prefer to work in Serato but I can also do Traktor
- Is generally well reviewed
- Inexpensive

VCI-300 is a solid controller that can be had pretty cheap used these days. I don't even hardly use mine anymore, but I can't imagine getting rid of it because of how easy it is to roll to a party with no gear and get it going

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Subscribing to Bones on soundcloud is the second best decision I've made since I started DJing :allears:

It's not the music that I spin myself but I love listening to it

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm considering moving from a Kontrol S2 to an NS7. I'm drawn to the tactile feedback of actual motorized platters, as I've never really gotten used to the S2s "press down on this big plastic platter" thing, which kind of works, but kind of doesn't. Getting real tables and vinyl is desirable, but fantastically out of my budget.

Does the NS7 'feel' pretty good? I don't care so much about a huge effects bank.

Edit: Also, I really, really like Traktor. Looks like the NS7 comes with Serato ITCH, which I've never used. How do they compare?

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 26, 2013

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Has anyone used the iPhone version of Traktor? It looks pretty basic but for $5 it seems like a pretty good thing to have around as a backup for your normal gear

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Solus posted:

Subscribing to Bones on soundcloud is the second best decision I've made since I started DJing :allears:

It's not the music that I spin myself but I love listening to it

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying the sets. I just posted a new one today which is on the downtempo/midtempo tip. Also posted it in the mixes thread

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

epalm posted:

I'm considering moving from a Kontrol S2 to an NS7. I'm drawn to the tactile feedback of actual motorized platters, as I've never really gotten used to the S2s "press down on this big plastic platter" thing, which kind of works, but kind of doesn't. Getting real tables and vinyl is desirable, but fantastically out of my budget.

Does the NS7 'feel' pretty good? I don't care so much about a huge effects bank.

Edit: Also, I really, really like Traktor. Looks like the NS7 comes with Serato ITCH, which I've never used. How do they compare?

I've always felt that motorized platters are gimmicky as a feature. The feel of the jogdials on the S2/S4 are pretty close to the feel of Pioneer CDJs which are club/industry standard at this point. One of those things you just have to get used to

I can't speak for Serato ITCH, I've only used Scratch. My guess is that they are fairly feature-comparable but I definitely prefer Traktor

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

epalm posted:

I don't know where you're based but certainly in the UK you can get a pair of decks and a traktor scratch enabled mixer for cheaper than an NS7.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Muck and Mire posted:

Has anyone used the iPhone version of Traktor? It looks pretty basic but for $5 it seems like a pretty good thing to have around as a backup for your normal gear

The iPad app is really, really good. In some ways (like cutting stuff up on the fly) it's better than most DJ rigs. My friend uses the iPhone app too and says it's almost equally good.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Guesstimate Crohns posted:

I don't know where you're based but certainly in the UK you can get a pair of decks and a traktor scratch enabled mixer for cheaper than an NS7.

NS7 values have fallen through the floor - they go for $500-600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Well I'm highly considering getting a DDJ-SX or an S4. I need to find somewhere near me that has a DDJ-SX I can try. Has anyone used one yet? I'm leaning towards S4 because I'm familiar with traktor and I know a lot of people that are happy with it. I'm ashamed to say I've only used serato for ~10 minutes one time

But then again, pioneer.

I've not really had a good track record with Numark and Denon is kinda... hit or miss from what I've heard, and most their controllers look cluttered

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 28, 2013