Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
If it helps any, as has been said before, due to stretch goals, you get an additional copy of all of the special collector only exclusive cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

HotBobaloo posted:

So the PvE card are "created" by doing quests and beating bosses, and PvP cards are from packs and winning tournaments only? I'm already in at King level, I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to upgrade to either Collector(PvP) or Dungeon Crawler(PvE).

That mostly seems to be the case. There was an exception posted up thread though in addition to the Auction House:

pumpinglemma posted:

They've said that it will be possible to earn a few boosters in PVE without the Auction House, although they'll probably be pretty rare since boosters are Cryptozoic's main form of revenue. Probably the best realistic case is boosters as a prize for a high-end raid you can do once a week or so.

Adus feels pretty strongly up thread that Dungeon Crawler would be the way to go. I personally couldn't make that call and bought in higher early on.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
I guess I will take the plunge and go with Dungeon Crawler. I'm assuming that actual cards are part of that 100% bonus and not just gold and equipment. Have they confirmed that cards drop in dungeons and they are part of the bonus?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

3x of a card max is cooler imo, but 4x (Magic style) works.

Edit:
vvv
It'll add a charge in addition to what it already does. I think there will be some resources that don't add charge as well, so it could be meaningful there too.

Amante fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 27, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have a question about Shrine of Prosperity. It says "if [the card is] a resource, it gets permanent 'charge your Champion.'" Does that mean that the resource will charge the champion twice when you play it or once every turn or what?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wonder about the mechanism of combining multiple tiers - will it get to the point where we have multiple login credentials and then ask them to be merged or will there be something in the Kickstarter backer survey (presumably people who used PayPal will also get some kind of survey too)?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Grim posted:

I wonder about the mechanism of combining multiple tiers - will it get to the point where we have multiple login credentials and then ask them to be merged or will there be something in the Kickstarter backer survey (presumably people who used PayPal will also get some kind of survey too)?

The latter probably, they said they'd combine them, so I assume the plan is to do so prior to the beta.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
So since I can't get pro tier with free drafts for life what should I get?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Something I'm curious about, if anyone knows for sure one way or another: Are regular resources just going to be cards in packs as well? Are you conceivably going to just start racking up piles and piles of bloods and diamonds and whatnot? It seems like lacking any variety of art would make that a bit more of a bummer over magic or the like, where you'd have a bunch of gnarly landscapes going on at least, etc.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

GaistHeidegger posted:

Something I'm curious about, if anyone knows for sure one way or another: Are regular resources just going to be cards in packs as well? Are you conceivably going to just start racking up piles and piles of bloods and diamonds and whatnot? It seems like lacking any variety of art would make that a bit more of a bummer over magic or the like, where you'd have a bunch of gnarly landscapes going on at least, etc.

I would think they would give you all the basic lands you could need because why the hell not.

Q: Also, it has been stated that all "basic resources" are free and unlimited. If you buy a starter that comes with basic resources, how are they free?
A: The starter decks use resources in them, but yes. All basic resources are free and unlimited. I think what people mean is that the starter decks have some in them. (Otherwise you wouldn't be able to play your cards!)

Fallorn fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 27, 2013

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

GaistHeidegger posted:

I think they said you have infinite access to basic resources. As well as all the Socketable Gems, both minor and major.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Please rename this thread "Let's Talk About Hex"

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
How many starter decks are there likely to be available when the client is released to us? We've only got so many, and already starting to theory craft decks/themes I'd like to try running.

I've never played a game of draft before and from what I understand: You open a booster, take a card and pass the rest to the left. Keep passing them around till there's no cards left and you've gone through all 3 boosters like that. What's the real strategy with this format? Do you just take the rarest card in your first booster and start trying to build around that? Taking cards to deny another player something useful (eg. a great centerpiece black troop, when you've been building red/white) must be hard to balance against choosing something you need. Teach me how to survive at draft!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
^^^ I think it's 1 starter per core set race (so 4) + the dragon kickstarter one.

kingcobweb posted:

Please rename this thread "Let's Talk About Hex"

I couldn't come up with anything witty when I made it, but that's good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I've never played a game of draft before and from what I understand: You open a booster, take a card and pass the rest to the left. Keep passing them around till there's no cards left and you've gone through all 3 boosters like that. What's the real strategy with this format? Do you just take the rarest card in your first booster and start trying to build around that? Taking cards to deny another player something useful (eg. a great centerpiece black troop, when you've been building red/white) must be hard to balance against choosing something you need. Teach me how to survive at draft!

You're mostly right. For the first pack you pass to the left, for the second you pass to the right and for the third you pass back to the left.

You don't always take the rarest card, because sometimes the rarest card is crappy. You take the "strongest" card, which is a hard metric to judge sometimes. The idea is to create the strongest 23ish cards you can given that you're pulling cards one at a time out of booster.

Hate drafting (taking a card you "can't" play to deny someone else) is a thing you can do, but many skilled people don't advise it. However, I feel like it might be easier to play more "colors" in Hex limited than in Magic.

The best advice I can give you for drafting is to figure out what the strongest commons and uncommons are. Murder, for example, should be a first pick in a lot of cases. Among the commons, I doubt there'll be something that much stronger.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thiswayliesmadness posted:

How many starter decks are there likely to be available when the client is released to us? We've only got so many, and already starting to theory craft decks/themes I'd like to try running.

There's a guy on the HEX forums posting Drafting tutorial videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZmfPzXUxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2S0kZq5jb4

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Fallorn posted:

So since I can't get pro tier with free drafts for life what should I get?

Depends on what you want. If you just want more boosters, the Guild Master comes with 90 extra boosters in codes you can give to your friends, but you could just as easily use them yourself, on top of the 10% PvE xp boost. Collector gets a set of 6 ultra-exclusive Collector only PvP cards (two copies since we've reached a stretch goal), it's a gamble, but, depending on the state of the game, that could be worth quite a lot on the AH if you want to sell some for Platinum or Gold, as well as a another copy of all of the King exclusive cards. Dungeon Crawler gets you more loot against Dungeon bosses, as well as 20 rare/legendary equipment, as equipment is unfortunately unusable in most PvP types, it's only good for PvE unless you want to grind for stuff to sell for platinum. Raid Leader, well, I think Raid Leader sucks.

Not to mention, every $250 tier comes with free drafts for a year, just not for life, like the Pro Player.

v 15 card boosters, and an extra 'treasure chest' goody.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Confirmation of 15 cards boosters or just an assumption?

Also, the first video runs on the assumption that draft will be a lot like Magic. The draft generalizations are totally based on Magic and probably won't be completely accurate.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 27, 2013

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Blinkman987 posted:

I would also embed the socket gem image on this page: http://hextcg.com/socketed-cards/ I think sockets are amazing and the way people can customize their cards/decks is going to blow people's minds.

Is each copy of a card fitted with gems individually or do all the copies in a deck have the same gem? I'm assuming you could have 4 copies of a particular socketed card, each with a different gem just for fun.

I hadn't noticed before that the gem effects require a matching threshold for it's effect to activate. I could see them being a game balance nightmare if it weren't for that.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Many thanks. B.R.E.A.D. was a really easy way to break it down into what to look for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

Confirmation of 15 cards boosters or just an assumption?

I've seen a picture of the virtual packs that says 15 cards on it, but even if I hadn't I would assume it from the layout of the stretch goals: 15 total, 11 white, 3 green, 1 red.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

One thing I love right now is what I've estimated to be the cost of drafting. I pay $15 at my FLGS for a FNM draft, leaving with 1-8 packs. Taking taxes out of the equation and assuming 1.5 packs in prizes per player, here's what I would get in MTGO vs Hex:

MTGO - Buy 15 Event Tickets. Use those tickets to buy my packs (10.31 at current market value), end up with 4 tickets plus Bot Credit. End the draft on average with 2 Tickets, 1-2 packs, my cards, and Bot Credit. If I didn't win at least three packs and/or open a money card that can fill the gap, I'm done. By buying more tickets at once, you can soften the cost because you just have to replace the packs you didn't win if you didn't already have them in your collection, but if you only have a few dollars MTGO takes bites out of that money quickly.

HEX - Buy 15 HexBux. Use those to buy packs (we'll assume for now that it's 2 HexBux per pack, but I expect them to be cheaper). End up on average with six packs and 3 HexBux remaining. Do two drafts, end with an average of 3 packs and the entry fee for a third draft. (Have a free draft from the KickStarter? That just makes it easier to get those three prize packs, so that brings your total to four.) That's three drafts, and you only spent $15.

It seems so fabulously disruptive compared to the prices on MTGO, I'm excited to hear the details. We'll learn more about how accurate these calculations are as time progresses.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 27, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

HotBobaloo posted:

I guess I will take the plunge and go with Dungeon Crawler. I'm assuming that actual cards are part of that 100% bonus and not just gold and equipment. Have they confirmed that cards drop in dungeons and they are part of the bonus?

The description says, "100% extra loot drop (gold, items, etc)" so it doesn't specify cards being included in that. You can't get PVE cards in boosters though so the only place they will come from is doing PVE content in which case I hope it includes cards and would be kind of weird if it didn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One thing I'm wondering about drafting in Hex. Is it going to significantly flood the supply of singles?

If it's both popular and cheap, it would seem that there's likely to be a wild oversupply of cards generally, as everyone buys packs for drafting, both because of lower drafting prices and because of the much greater ease of anytime online tournament matching. I would suspect that this wouldn't be as great a worry with a game like M:TG that prints a limited run of each set, and I suspect it wouldn't be an issue in this game if cards were purchased solely on basis of demand for cards (because of the Glorious Free Market, etc.). But if everyone gets the cards they want, then buys more for drafting, it'd seem like that's a lot of extra cards out there. Which is a problem if we're viewing cards as an investment to any degree or planning on cashing out down the line.

I'd seen various people predict a flood of the initial set in Hex due to the Kickstarter purchases and that wasn't worrying me due to the likelihood that the Kickstarter people are going to be a very small minority of players. But it seems like drafting is a larger concern. Or is this even a concern? Maybe a general flood of cards is a good thing, esp. if the initial set goes out of print (will the initial set go out of print?).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HotBobaloo posted:

This seems like a good question for Blinkman. I don't think it's been explicitly stated either way; the comments I've seen seem to strongly indicate that the vast majority of PvE rewards will be PvE items, gold, and PvE-only cards, but there might be some rare PvP cards. I suspect that you'll get more PvP-legal cards from the free year of drafting than you will from dungeon bashing even with the dungeon crawler boost.

From the videos I've watched on the Hex youtube channel (add to OP? https://www.youtube.com/user/CryptozoicGaming?feature=watch), it seems that a lot of the PvE cards you gain may end up coming from story decisions, rather than as "loot". I.e., recruit a particular individual in a dungeon, get his card.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 27, 2013

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I'm wondering about drafting in Hex. Is it going to significantly flood the supply of singles?

If it's both popular and cheap, it would seem that there's likely to be a wild oversupply of cards generally, as everyone buys packs for drafting, both because of lower drafting prices and because of the much greater ease of anytime online tournament matching. I would suspect that this wouldn't be as great a worry with a game like M:TG that prints a limited run of each set, and I suspect it wouldn't be an issue in this game if cards were purchased solely on basis of demand for cards (because of the Glorious Free Market, etc.). But if everyone gets the cards they want, then buys more for drafting, it'd seem like that's a lot of extra cards out there. Which is a problem if we're viewing cards as an investment to any degree or planning on cashing out down the line.

I'd seen various people predict a flood of the initial set in Hex due to the Kickstarter purchases and that wasn't worrying me due to the likelihood that the Kickstarter people are going to be a very small minority of players. But it seems like drafting is a larger concern. Or is this even a concern? Maybe a general flood of cards is a good thing, esp. if the initial set goes out of print (will the initial set go out of print?).

If I back it, it will be on the assumption that sets do go out of print. But rarity is going to be a different animal online. There are many $20-$80 MTG:O cards despite all of them being common as hell.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I don't see this as a significant concern. In the "worst case", if the economy completely floods, you're going to be able to get whatever non-legendary non-promo cards you want very cheaply for the purpose of actually playing the game. Meanwhile, equipment, promos and account perks will probably have a pretty high value since there's a more limited supply and there are so many people willing to put so much money into the game. For Pro Player, legendaries are never going to be that cheap (especially close to the launch of a set) and you'd presumably be spending platinum on drafting with another tier. And that's all ignoring the spectral lotus garden. So all three good $250 tiers still have the potential to generate decent income, and the value of your Kickstarter exclusives and your free draft/alternate art cards/doubled loot drop are probably going to be very significant if you sell your account - you're not going to make a loss overall. You should be much more worried about the game failing to take off in the first place.

There will definitely be a flood on the first set, though. Counting all the stretch goals including the 3 free drafts, at launch there will be about 800,000 boosters worth of cards and 5,250 additional primal packs divided among about 8,500 people based on current pledges alone and before taking the Pro Players' free drafts into account. This is actually a very good thing even from an investment perspective, since it will make it far easier for non-backers to get into the game and hopefully ensure the game does well.

We've also had confirmation that sets will rotate out, which might or might not entail going out of print but certainly means that after a certain point you won't be able to play official drafts with the initial set.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
An additional unknown in terms of card economy is the crafting system. This will allow you to destroy cards to make crafting-only cards and equipment. They made it sound like the crafted cards will be PvE only, but I could see that both PvE and PvP cards will be eligible for "disenchanting". If the crafted goods are good enough and require a large amount of cards to be trashed, this could really have an effect on the huge glut of singles.

I think it'd be hilarious if a "crap" rare becomes a popular DE target, turns out to be a hidden diamond later on, and is super rare because so many were destroyed. It's hard to really guess about it without knowing more details about crafting though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

After automatically refreshing the page during the last 3 days (using https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/check4change/ ) I was finally able to get the Grad King tier. :getin:
During that time, I've also seen a few Pro tiers open up, but I wasn't fast enough to get one of them.
I assume most of the people who do abandon their slot will do so in the last day or two (probably after the automatic 48 hours-email), but if you really want a certain tier, leaving that thing running in the background now probably isn't a bad idea.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Tamba posted:

During that time, I've also seen a few Pro tiers open up, but I wasn't fast enough to get one of them.
I was after the pro tier and had the page refreshing for an entire day. 3 spots opened up, and even though I clicked on them instantly they were already gone. I finally gave up and just signed up for Dungeon Crawler tier.

If I want my wife to get into the beta as well do I need to create another kickstarter login and pledge via that? I am not good with these things.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Aside from the price, how is this any different from MTGO? With a few exceptions, commons are incredibly cheap on there. A competitive pauper (common only) deck can be had for less than $2.50.

Commons are just that - common. As for rares, the desirable ones will be expensive, and the crappy ones will be cheap, same as any other TCG. All increasing the supply of cards does is decrease the magnitude of the price.

I'd argue that this is a good thing - one of the big barriers to entry for Magic tournaments is the high cost of competitive decks, and reducing that barrier leads to more people playing in them. It's healthy for the Tourney scene and healthy for the game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Do we have any indication that our free weekly drafts will roll over? Or do I need to really use them each week?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zonekeeper posted:

Aside from the price, how is this any different from MTGO? With a few exceptions, commons are incredibly cheap on there. A competitive pauper (common only) deck can be had for less than $2.50.

Commons are just that - common. As for rares, the desirable ones will be expensive, and the crappy ones will be cheap, same as any other TCG. All increasing the supply of cards does is decrease the magnitude of the price.

I'd argue that this is a good thing - one of the big barriers to entry for Magic tournaments is the high cost of competitive decks, and reducing that barrier leads to more people playing in them. It's healthy for the Tourney scene and healthy for the game.

You're probably right on the whole. When I said "wild oversupply" I meant more things like the most expensive legendary cards being less than a dollar." There's some transition point in a collectible where you want it to have some degree of value.

signalnoise posted:

Do we have any indication that our free weekly drafts will roll over? Or do I need to really use them each week?

My understanding is that just like having to log in with the spectral lotus, you'll have to use the draft each week.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

signalnoise posted:

Do we have any indication that our free weekly drafts will roll over?

No, we've been repeatedly told the opposite. You will need to draft once a week.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jedit posted:

No, we've been repeatedly told the opposite. You will need to draft once a week.

Yknow I was gonna say this is bullshit but on the other hand it's a pretty nifty way to ensure your player base sticks around

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

signalnoise posted:

Yknow I was gonna say this is bullshit but on the other hand it's a pretty nifty way to ensure your player base sticks around

Also makes sure more people are playing drafts which makes it easier for everyone to find drafts. I'm sure one point of the "free draft once per week" tier is to ensure a base of people are around whenever someone wants to draft.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

InternetJunky posted:

If I want my wife to get into the beta as well do I need to create another kickstarter login and pledge via that? I am not good with these things.

You can start a new KS account or pledge via paypal on their site.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I already have people private messaging me on the official hex forums trying to buy cards that I don't even have yet from me. I think selling cards might be big.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

What have you been getting offers for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
The Spectral Lotus Garden, the one that generates the one-time-use lotus things that turn into tigers. This is a weird game.

• Locked thread