Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Maniaman posted:

I recently changed our kitchen faucet (the old one was leaking and i hated it anyway), and when you turn the new one full blast on you get what I assume is some sort of water hammer or sputter for a few seconds that will eventually go away. The old faucet didn't do this, and I don't know how I could be getting air in the lines. No other fixtures do this. I don't know if it's something I should be concerned about or if I should just deal with it.

Did that only happen once, or does it keep happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
It happens every time we turn the faucet on.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Who wants to take a guess at how hosed my house is? Apparently there's a leak in my house, somewhere...

Most the plumbing runs under the master bedroom. When I step in the closet in the master bedroom, the carpet gets wet and there's a foot shaped water stain growing very shortly after. I'm guessing I've got a gently caress off huge leak and some pretty good water damage for the majority of my house.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Grem posted:

Who wants to take a guess at how hosed my house is? Apparently there's a leak in my house, somewhere...

Most the plumbing runs under the master bedroom. When I step in the closet in the master bedroom, the carpet gets wet and there's a foot shaped water stain growing very shortly after. I'm guessing I've got a gently caress off huge leak and some pretty good water damage for the majority of my house.

Is the floor directly on a concrete pad or do you have a crawl space or basement?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I have a basement.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What plumbing is in the walls for that closet? Does this master bedroom closet happen to butt up to the master bathroom?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Yea, the closet is right up against the master bath. The plumbing goes under the closet and then down to the sewer.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
The general DIY thread suggested I take this here, so here goes.

I have a Buderus GC124 II boiler that occasionally gets it in it's head that it's going to lockout for no apparent reason. It was installed in late 2011 and does this maybe once a month during the heating season.

I have this guide that came with it: http://www.buderus.us/files/201301031741530.GC124II_Installation-Service_Instructions_en_6720804440_04_11.2012.pdf and someone mentioned in the other thread that it uses flame rectification, so it's a possible thermocouple issue.

I just want to stop coming home to a cold house :( Any suggestions of what to check?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Grem posted:

Yea, the closet is right up against the master bath. The plumbing goes under the closet and then down to the sewer.

So what's directly on the other side of that wall? A sink, tub/shower or toilet? Are their any drains or supply lines in that wall?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Dragyn posted:

The general DIY thread suggested I take this here, so here goes.

I have a Buderus GC124 II boiler that occasionally gets it in it's head that it's going to lockout for no apparent reason. It was installed in late 2011 and does this maybe once a month during the heating season.

I have this guide that came with it: http://www.buderus.us/files/201301031741530.GC124II_Installation-Service_Instructions_en_6720804440_04_11.2012.pdf and someone mentioned in the other thread that it uses flame rectification, so it's a possible thermocouple issue.

I just want to stop coming home to a cold house :( Any suggestions of what to check?

It could be a number of things, if the flame sensor isnt in the write position it could error. If the boiler waspiped wrong it could error out. I'd find a trusted tech to come out for a service call. Also it most likely will give you an error code if you find out how to find it in the boiler.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

It could be a number of things, if the flame sensor isnt in the write position it could error. If the boiler waspiped wrong it could error out. I'd find a trusted tech to come out for a service call. Also it most likely will give you an error code if you find out how to find it in the boiler.

Thanks. I might have a plumber coming out to install another radiator (why they decided one of the bedrooms didn't need heat, is beyond me). I'll ask him.

I think I've asked here before regarding getting a bathtub in a small bathroom. I've abandoned that idea and decided to just shoot for a good quality shower kit. I've heard good things about the Kerdi ones that Holmes uses, but they don't seem to have much variety in size. Are they worth the money?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Is a dedicated trap to the disposal code now? I just had to replace mine and I ignored the dedicated trap, even though the instructions wanted it. Basically I wanted to keep the storage space by feeding the disposal waste line right above the trap from the other sink. I kinda feel bad about ignoring that part of the instructions, but oh well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'd really like to get a hose spigot out to my shed, about 200' from my house. However, I don't want to cut up a big trench in the lawn. I know they have a machine that basically acts like a big 18" knife blade that feeds electrical cable down the back of the blade and into the ground as it goes, leaving just a little strip where the grass was marginally disturbed, do they have any sort of similar device for laying underground hose? Or is that basically a non-option, because it'd have to be rigid pipe so it doesn't collapse?

Just curious what my options are, with the goal of minimal disturbance to my precious lawn.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I am not a plumber.
I am pretty sure you can ditch witch pex to get water there.
I watched a guy run one for a lawn sprinkler system.
I'm just not sure how deep it needs to be buried.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

jackyl posted:

Is a dedicated trap to the disposal code now? I just had to replace mine and I ignored the dedicated trap, even though the instructions wanted it. Basically I wanted to keep the storage space by feeding the disposal waste line right above the trap from the other sink. I kinda feel bad about ignoring that part of the instructions, but oh well.

In washington no but it's hard to say what is code where you live.

Bad Munki posted:

I'd really like to get a hose spigot out to my shed, about 200' from my house. However, I don't want to cut up a big trench in the lawn. I know they have a machine that basically acts like a big 18" knife blade that feeds electrical cable down the back of the blade and into the ground as it goes, leaving just a little strip where the grass was marginally disturbed, do they have any sort of similar device for laying underground hose? Or is that basically a non-option, because it'd have to be rigid pipe so it doesn't collapse?

Just curious what my options are, with the goal of minimal disturbance to my precious lawn.

depends on how cold it gets where you live. You have to be 12 inches below frost level. In Washington/idaho its 4 feet but up in Alaksa it over 9 I believe. If you blew the line out every year you could do a shallow trench.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Erie, PA. I don't mind clearing the line each year, although obviously it'd be nicer to not have to.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

At 200 feet you're looking at having to tear it up anyway. If it were shorter, you could cut out the sod chunks along the way by hand with a flat tipped shovel, then put them back in place once you're done and water them until they reestablish roots.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a bathtub with separate hot and cold faucets. When I turn the cold water on, water drips from the shower head. This only happens with the cold water; if I turn on only the hot water, no water drips. Ay ideas?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I have a bathtub with separate hot and cold faucets. When I turn the cold water on, water drips from the shower head. This only happens with the cold water; if I turn on only the hot water, no water drips. Ay ideas?

3 handle or stopper on the tub faucet?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

3 handle or stopper on the tub faucet?

Stopper

LaserKatz
Mar 8, 2013
/reposted this here on suggestion of Orgophlax
Hey All

My water heater has started to leak and I'd like to replace it before it explodes all over my basement. I'd like to go to a tankless heater but I've read and heard so many different things about them that I'm not sure what to think and/or what brand to get.

Do any of you have tankless natural gas systems installed?
what kind?
would you recommend it?
anything to look out for?

For those of you who are pros and have installed/serviced these systems, which seem to have fewest problems?

Other general questions about what I'm considering:
I'm thinking of getting a condensing version. They're more expensive up-front but they're more efficient and the venting is much simpler and cheaper. Does anyone know if I can vent this close to my electric panel & service line?

My boiler is from the 1960's and can't have a ton more life left in it. Can I get a bigger unit and rip out the boiler as well?
anything to look out for if I decide to do this?

Thanks in advance

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

LaserKatz posted:

Do any of you have tankless natural gas systems installed?
what kind?
I don't have one in my own home, but I've installed many. Although I'm certain electric models exist, I've never seen nor installed one, they've all been natural or LP.

quote:

would you recommend it?
Sure, if you can afford it. Personally I think they're great, they take up much less space than a normal tank, are efficient and if you plan on sticking around they will pay for themselves.

quote:

anything to look out for?
Ease of access for venting and of course, they need to be hung secure on a wall somewhere so depending on where your current water heater is, it may or may not be able to occupy the same space and I don't know offhand but they also require certain amounts of clearance on the bottom, sides and front. Basically you need to make sure you have a proper spot to put it.

quote:

For those of you who are pros and have installed/serviced these systems, which seem to have fewest problems?
I haven't installed a rinnai in years and we hated em. We had far more than one that were incredibly finicky about the gas pressure they received even with the proper regulator installed. That may have been bad luck, or an actual problem that got sorted out, but I can't say because our wholesalers stopped selling them. I've installed many ao smith, triangle tube and navien models over the years with next to no problems save for one or two outliners. On a whole, I'd say we've had more problems with traditional tank heaters.

quote:

Other general questions about what I'm considering:
I'm thinking of getting a condensing version. They're more expensive up-front but they're more efficient and the venting is much simpler and cheaper. Does anyone know if I can vent this close to my electric panel & service line?
How close? I don't see a pic or anything.

quote:

My boiler is from the 1960's and can't have a ton more life left in it. Can I get a bigger unit and rip out the boiler as well?
anything to look out for if I decide to do this?
A bigger unit? I don't think anything gets bigger than 1960s boilers. :) In the case of really old boilers just about anything and everything needs to be looked at, and I mean everything. Without a description of the heating system and/or pics it is impossible to say. Every boiler setup is different and requires a serious look at from a qualified installer.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

LaserKatz posted:

/reposted this here on suggestion of Orgophlax
Hey All

My water heater has started to leak and I'd like to replace it before it explodes all over my basement. I'd like to go to a tankless heater but I've read and heard so many different things about them that I'm not sure what to think and/or what brand to get.

Check with your gas company, they may offer great rebates. My gas co. is offering up to $300 for a HE 40gal tank. With price around $500 for a unit, this is a pretty killer deal. Few are offering tankless rebates that big, but may offset the cost some. Also note that you may be able to size down your unit as recovery is faster in modern units.

LaserKatz
Mar 8, 2013

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Check with your gas company, they may offer great rebates. My gas co. is offering up to $300 for a HE 40gal tank. With price around $500 for a unit, this is a pretty killer deal. Few are offering tankless rebates that big, but may offset the cost some. Also note that you may be able to size down your unit as recovery is faster in modern units.

Good thought, thanks. With a decent rebate it makes the cost difference smaller and almost a nobrainer to go tankless.

LaserKatz
Mar 8, 2013

Amoxicilina posted:

I don't have one in my own home, but I've installed many.

Thanks very much for the response. I may not be around for 10 yrs for it to pay for itself but I think it will certainly help resale.

quote:

I haven't installed a rinnai in years and we hated em....I've installed many ao smith, triangle tube and navien models over the years with next to no problems save for one or two outliners. On a whole, I'd say we've had more problems with traditional tank heaters.
That's good to know. I'm considering a Navien (NR-180), which my neighbor has and likes. It has a small tank and other stuff that not many other models in the same price range have. More problems with tanks is actually really surprising to me, I thought they were pretty straightforward.

quote:

How close? I don't see a pic or anything.

I live in an ~850 sqft row home and my mechanicals are on one side of the house. The service line comes in at one corner and the panel is about 1-2' in from the corner along the side wall. There's a window maybe 1' from the corner along the front wall. I'd like to avoid having to vent through the window but I realize that it may not be possible. If I can go close to the electric then both the vent on the outside and the pipes containing the exhaust would be within 1' of the panel and service line.

quote:

A bigger unit? I don't think anything gets bigger than 1960s boilers. :) In the case of really old boilers just about anything and everything needs to be looked at, and I mean everything. Without a description of the heating system and/or pics it is impossible to say. Every boiler setup is different and requires a serious look at from a qualified installer.

That's fair. I'm likely going to tackle this myself. Since I thought that since the boiler can't have a ton more life left I could replace it with a larger tankless unit and just have one pulling double duty, but it sounds like this is going to be more complicated and that I can wait on it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Just moved into a late 70s single-wide with plumbing modified by people who had no idea what they're doing.

The water pressure starts at what I would consider decent, then fades to a trickle after about 15 seconds or so. Hot and cold both do it, in all fixtures in the house. Should I be looking at adjusting or replacing the pressure regulator? It's a big truncated cone of rust with a rounded-off rusty bolt held in place by a rounded off rusted jam nut. But that's the outside; the inside should be fine, right?

If it's not the regulator, where can I look?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Just moved into a late 70s single-wide with plumbing modified by people who had no idea what they're doing.

The water pressure starts at what I would consider decent, then fades to a trickle after about 15 seconds or so. Hot and cold both do it, in all fixtures in the house. Should I be looking at adjusting or replacing the pressure regulator? It's a big truncated cone of rust with a rounded-off rusty bolt held in place by a rounded off rusted jam nut. But that's the outside; the inside should be fine, right?

If it's not the regulator, where can I look?

This sounds like it could be a pressure tank. Are you on a well?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
My upstairs bathroom sink is draining increasingly slowly. (It fills up before the water gets hot!) Tried using a plunger, tried taking out and cleaning the U-bend, but the problem persists. I assume it's a hair blockage further down the pipes.
Don't suppose there's any DIY tips that might solve this?

(Would this question belong more in the Fix It Fast thread? I wasn't sure.)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

This sounds like it could be a pressure tank. Are you on a well?

Turns out it was a leak in a fitting. It would only drip very slowly at full pressure, but much faster when pressure started to drop, eventually just spraying out.

85-200lbs of water-soaked fiberglass insulation and one huge hot mud puddle later, the leak was found and fixed. All pressures are fine.

I'm not a big fan of sharkbite fittings on PEX anymore. I've already had two visibly fail under pressure for no obvious reason, and the whole re-plumbing of this place was done with them. Feels like a time bomb.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

VagueRant posted:

I assume it's a hair blockage further down the pipes.

Did you clean out the stopper? Hair can get caught there too. If that's clean, then you probably have a clog further down the drain and it's time to get a snake.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Turns out it was a leak in a fitting. It would only drip very slowly at full pressure, but much faster when pressure started to drop, eventually just spraying out.

85-200lbs of water-soaked fiberglass insulation and one huge hot mud puddle later, the leak was found and fixed. All pressures are fine.

I'm not a big fan of sharkbite fittings on PEX anymore. I've already had two visibly fail under pressure for no obvious reason, and the whole re-plumbing of this place was done with them. Feels like a time bomb.

I only use them if I have to, If you can't turn the water off completely then I use them. Though I've never had one blow off. I wonder if they pushed them on all the way. I always sand and put lube on the pipe or the O rings can leak.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I only use them if I have to, If you can't turn the water off completely then I use them. Though I've never had one blow off. I wonder if they pushed them on all the way. I always sand and put lube on the pipe or the O rings can leak.

The plumbing in this place is approximately what would happen if, for every joint or application, you were to grab a completely random stranger off the street, showed them two ends of pipe, then asked them what they needed to finish. Crazy mix of fittings, pipe types, valve styles, penetration locations, etc.

And no straps, of any kind, anywhere, on anything.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The plumbing in this place is approximately what would happen if, for every joint or application, you were to grab a completely random stranger off the street, showed them two ends of pipe, then asked them what they needed to finish. Crazy mix of fittings, pipe types, valve styles, penetration locations, etc.

And no straps, of any kind, anywhere, on anything.

Ya thats a shame but it happens when people want to DIY and never ask for help.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My mother in law currently has a leaky outside spigot (Silcock?) that her fiance swears is sweated on and can't get unscrewed. I"ts my experience that most of them get twisted on to a threaded end.
Should we give it a shot with 2 pipe wrenches?
Is there anywhere that sells rebuild kits so I can replace the seals inside the thing instead of having to cut and sweat?
How terrible would it be to run a sharkbite connection for this? (the copper pipe runs pretty close to the wood floor and I really don't feel comfortable using my novice sweating skills on it.. if I need to what are some tips? stick some metal up there and maybe a wet towel between the floor and metal to protect the wood from my terrible pipe fitting skills.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Do NOT just twist it off with a pipe wrench - they very well could be soldered and inaccessible; mine are (were). If you know the brand then finding a rebuild kit is easy, if you don't the you can do what I did and cobble one together out of various parts and cut rubber sheeting .

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

tater_salad posted:

My mother in law currently has a leaky outside spigot (Silcock?) that her fiance swears is sweated on and can't get unscrewed. I"ts my experience that most of them get twisted on to a threaded end.
Should we give it a shot with 2 pipe wrenches?
Is there anywhere that sells rebuild kits so I can replace the seals inside the thing instead of having to cut and sweat?
How terrible would it be to run a sharkbite connection for this? (the copper pipe runs pretty close to the wood floor and I really don't feel comfortable using my novice sweating skills on it.. if I need to what are some tips? stick some metal up there and maybe a wet towel between the floor and metal to protect the wood from my terrible pipe fitting skills.

In my experience they are a pain in the rear end to rebuild. A new one is only $25 or so. They may be soldered on but its a tough call . Even though the woods close to it here must be another place that you can cut it at to solder in an open area. care to send a picture of the hosebib where it may be soldered. And a larger picture of the area you would be working in.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I'm not sure if this is really a plumbing question, let me know if I should take it to the general DIY thread. I am a brand new homeowner. My new home did not come with a dryer or washer, but it did come with the hookups. I'm buying a washer and gas dryer. After talking to home depot ($260 installation) and talking to a local plumber ($450 installation) I'm now just considering installing the gas dryer myself because those prices seem pretty crazy to me. Is this a reasonable thing to do for someone who has no experience in this area?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Grifter posted:

I'm not sure if this is really a plumbing question, let me know if I should take it to the general DIY thread. I am a brand new homeowner. My new home did not come with a dryer or washer, but it did come with the hookups. I'm buying a washer and gas dryer. After talking to home depot ($260 installation) and talking to a local plumber ($450 installation) I'm now just considering installing the gas dryer myself because those prices seem pretty crazy to me. Is this a reasonable thing to do for someone who has no experience in this area?
Those prices are loving nuts considering you have the hookups already, all you need are new lines, some teflon tape (white for water yellow for gas) a level, an adjustable wrench and *maybe* a pair of pliers.

Lowe's hooked up the washer in my last house for free.

Edit - and a screwdriver and new dryer vent duct.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

In my experience they are a pain in the rear end to rebuild. A new one is only $25 or so. They may be soldered on but its a tough call . Even though the woods close to it here must be another place that you can cut it at to solder in an open area. care to send a picture of the hosebib where it may be soldered. And a larger picture of the area you would be working in.

I wont be over there till the day I'm working on it. I'll have to see if I am lucky enough for it to run down the back wall but I think it runs from one side of the basement to the other up in the rafters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Grifter posted:

Just to be clear, you have an existing gas hookup, right? I think most homes just have an electric dryer hookup, so perhaps they think they are installing a gas line. I could see the prices being that high if they are running a gas line but they are crazy if you have an existing hookup

ntd fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 5, 2013