Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Brown Moses posted:

Well buying Fraps would be a tax deductable business expense, so that's not a problem. I should actually do an Ask/Tell thread at some point, I don't post half the stuff that happens to me because of the blog. Only yesterday I was told the Department of Defence are fans of the blog. I'm getting loads of views on it now as well, about 120,000 in the last month, and once the Arabic version is out I'm sure to get a lot more.

Of course they are fans of the blog, it's like you're an open source analyst for them (perhaps the wave of the future). If you were working for the DOD you'd probably be making 70-100k US/yr as an analyst, but they are getting you for free. Even better deal for them considering how hard they've been hit by sequestration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletPost
Jun 10, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Abu Sakkar has been injured in fighting, more here, plus details of other smaller casualties.
I really don't get the hate for this guy. according to your information, all he did was eating the heart of a dead body. and he did this in-front of a camera, as some sort of psychological warfare. it is easy to assume that he was exposed on a daily basis to some of the most horrible things happening to his friends.

I guess non of us can tell who the corpse belong to, but as long as they were serving Assad, I don't think the corpse should get any dignity. if his way of expressing his frustration is by sodomizing dead corpse, I couldn't care less. it is disgusting, I don't think I would've done anything of that sort even in the same situation just because it is absolutely disgusting. but I don't think it is wrong.

Even if they (the dead solders) weren't directly torturing others, they worked for someone who did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T5FuD2HGkc. and if this people get similar or severe treatment, I'd be happy.

Abu sakar fights for his ruined homeland so one day someone can live there like a normal human. his methods may be questionable, but his goals deserve all the respect there is to give.

I don't blame you BM, but it seems to me he gets the flame for minor stuff while he should be praised.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kill and torture everybody. Death shall reign. No peace.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ToiletPost posted:

I really don't get the hate for this guy. according to your information, all he did was eating the heart of a dead body. and he did this in-front of a camera, as some sort of psychological warfare. it is easy to assume that he was exposed on a daily basis to some of the most horrible things happening to his friends.

I guess non of us can tell who the corpse belong to, but as long as they were serving Assad, I don't think the corpse should get any dignity. if his way of expressing his frustration is by sodomizing dead corpse, I couldn't care less. it is disgusting, I don't think I would've done anything of that sort even in the same situation just because it is absolutely disgusting. but I don't think it is wrong.

Even if they (the dead solders) weren't directly torturing others, they worked for someone who did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T5FuD2HGkc. and if this people get similar or severe treatment, I'd be happy.

Abu sakar fights for his ruined homeland so one day someone can live there like a normal human. his methods may be questionable, but his goals deserve all the respect there is to give.

I don't blame you BM, but it seems to me he gets the flame for minor stuff while he should be praised.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ToiletPost posted:

One thing to note is the version of the video that made it online (because they sent it to government officials and the like), had part of it edited out, where he said they directly threatened Alawites, so there's a sectarian element to this. Really, the reason he gets so much attention is because he did something really weird and gross, and the media loves that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will someone on the fence support the rebels after seeing them eating the hearts of their enemies? Will the loyalists be inclined to defect now that they heard about cannibals in the opposition? Will someone spoon fed government propaganda react well to damning evidence of people eating hearts?

It's not a question of forcing the revolutionary forces to be saints, it's about them ensuring they have *some* sort of image to transmit aboard that they, in all this mess, are the best option.

Heart-eating Syrian is not a representative of the entire movement and he saw a lot of hosed up poo poo. But going down this alley we might aswell forgive government soldiers for doing so now and rebel soldiers from doing even worse later, in an elegant dance to the bottom of humanity where everyone can stab each other's eyes out and eat each other's hearts because they other side did something too.

It's like when in 1961 an Angolan resistance movement called UPA went and murdered entire villages composed of white settlers. Sure, it was a reaction to a lot of awful things, but do you think people in Luanda, even blacks, thought it was okay? This kind of thing ruin the image of the resistance and only makes people on the fence turn into conservatism, even if Assad is a brutal dictator.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've had some more intercepted radio communications form Qusayr transcribed
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/more-translated-radio-communications.html

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

I've had some more intercepted radio communications form Qusayr transcribed
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/more-translated-radio-communications.html

You're the best. Seems HA learned quickly and started using codes in their trnamissions (first part). Did you see the two lengthier excrepts I posted earlier in the thread? I have a hard time understanding them due to bad audio quality (edit: and heavy dialect), but perhaps your translator will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJSi4tc2ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwK68Mm7pgM

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 26, 2013

ToiletPost
Jun 10, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

One thing to note is the version of the video that made it online (because they sent it to government officials and the like), had part of it edited out, where he said they directly threatened Alawites, so there's a sectarian element to this. Really, the reason he gets so much attention is because he did something really weird and gross, and the media loves that.
I had no idea about that sectarian element. I get what you are saying about the media.

Mans posted:

Will someone on the fence support the rebels after seeing them eating the hearts of their enemies? Will the loyalists be inclined to defect now that they heard about cannibals in the opposition? Will someone spoon fed government propaganda react well to damning evidence of people eating hearts?

It's not a question of forcing the revolutionary forces to be saints, it's about them ensuring they have *some* sort of image to transmit aboard that they, in all this mess, are the best option.

Heart-eating Syrian is not a representative of the entire movement and he saw a lot of hosed up poo poo. But going down this alley we might aswell forgive government soldiers for doing so now and rebel soldiers from doing even worse later, in an elegant dance to the bottom of humanity where everyone can stab each other's eyes out and eat each other's hearts because they other side did something too.

It's like when in 1961 an Angolan resistance movement called UPA went and murdered entire villages composed of white settlers. Sure, it was a reaction to a lot of awful things, but do you think people in Luanda, even blacks, thought it was okay? This kind of thing ruin the image of the resistance and only makes people on the fence turn into conservatism, even if Assad is a brutal dictator.
I agree about this can of worms theory, but What I'm telling myself is that if I can relate to his furstration in his PR stunts (which now according to BM may unfortunetly be more then that) then I assume the syrians can relate to him much more. it is possible that I'm insane, but I really think that brutulizing corpses is far less worse then making them.

Further more, I think that one youtube canibal, is the least of their problems in terms of PR when they have the jihadists and everyones asks themselves if it is worth to live under taliban instead of an rear end in a top hat dictator.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToiletPost posted:

I agree about this can of worms theory, but What I'm telling myself is that if I can relate to his furstration in his PR stunts (which now according to BM may unfortunetly be more then that) then I assume the syrians can relate to him much more. it is possible that I'm insane, but I really think that brutulizing corpses is far less worse then making them.

Further more, I think that one youtube canibal, is the least of their problems in terms of PR when they have the jihadists and everyones asks themselves if it is worth to live under taliban instead of an rear end in a top hat dictator.

Yes, but that's the awful thing about it. The Free Syrian army needs to distance themselves from the islamic sect without turning them into oponents. It's a battle that i don't see how they could win easily or how they could surpress said movements without creating even more propaganda\leverage in favor of Assad.

I don't think goons are turning to favor Assad, they are just fearing that the government is gaining more and more ground and that these videos are showing more and more desperation, sectarianism and extremism from an opposition who needs to use more and more lunatics as their weapons against the regime

Goons are simply worried about the future of Syria, not exactly praising Assad.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More following today's rocket attack in Lebanon

quote:

FSA official: Dahiyeh attack warning to Hezbollah

Free Syrian Army official Ammar al-Wawi said Sunday that the attack on Beirut’s southern area was a warning to Hezbollah.

“Lebanon is not insulated from what is happening in Syria and there will be great repercussions for Hezbollah’s intervention in Syria and what happened today was a warning,” Wawi said in an interview with LBC television.

“We will conduct further [operations] in the upcoming days,” he added.

The FSA official also called on the Lebanese government to put an end to Hezbollah’s activities in Syria; “otherwise, the fires raging in Syria will reach Beirut, Tripoli and the [Rafiq Hariri International] Airport which has become a route for the Iranian airline to transport weapons to Syria.”

Wawi stressed that the Syrian people will not stand by and do nothing while Hezbollah’s intervention in Syria continues, adding that “one Syrian’s blood drop is equal to [Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan] Nasrallah and his party.”
Earlier on Sunday, four people were wounded when two rockets exploded in the Hezbollah heartland of southern Beirut.

The blasts followed a speech delivered by Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah on Saturday evening during which the latter vowed that the regime of Bashar al-Assad and his party would emerge victorious in Syria.

The Lebanese political scene is split between pro-Syrian regime parties affiliated with the March 8 alliance – spearheaded by Hezbollah – and western-backed forces associated with the March 14 coalition.

But then

quote:

FSA Strongly Condemns Dahiyeh Rocket Attack, Disavows Its Secretary's Threats

The rebel Free Syrian Army on Sunday condemned “in the strongest terms” the morning rocket attack on Beirut's southern suburbs, distancing itself from a threat by an FSA official that the “fire raging in Syria will spread into Lebanon.”

“We condemn in the strongest terms the act of sabotage and terrorism that targeted Dahiyeh and reiterate our commitment to Lebanon's security, sovereignty and stability,” Fahd al-Masri, head of FSA's Central Media Department, said in an interview with MTV.

In another interview with Voice of Lebanon radio (100.5), Masri strongly denied any role for the FSA in the rocket attack, describing remarks voiced by FSA secretary Ammar al-Wawi as “irresponsible.”

“I will telephone Captain Wawi and rebuke him for his remarks and I will ask him to withdraw his statement, because we have nothing to do at all with the launching of the rockets,” Masri added.

He described the incident as “deeply worrisome,” noting that “it confirms what we had revealed about an Iranian plot to make bombings in Shiite areas to cover up for Hizbullah's failure in (the Syrian town of) Qusayr.”

Earlier on Sunday, FSA secretary Wawi called on President Michel Suleiman and the Lebanese government to “put an end to what Hizbullah is committing in Syria or else the fire raging in Syria will spread into Lebanon.”

“The Syrian people will not stand idly by regarding what Hizbullah is doing in Syria,” Wawi said in an interview with LBCI television.

“Should the Lebanese government fail to stop Hizbullah, there will be repercussions against Beirut, Tripoli and the Rafik Hariri International Airport,” Wawi said, claiming that the airport “has become a corridor for Iranian planes that are shipping weapons to Syria.”

He added: “Our honorable people in Lebanon from all sects will not stand idly by regarding what Hizbullah is doing in Syria, and therefore there will be repercussions, such as what happened today in the rocket attack on the southern suburbs.”

He warned that “in the coming days, we will do more than that, and this is a warning for Hizbullah and the Lebanese government.”

Four people were wounded on Sunday morning in a rocket attack on Beirut's southern suburbs. The Lebanese army said in a statement that a rocket was fired at a car dealership near the Mar Mikhael church and another landed in the Maroun Misk neighborhood.

The incident comes just hours after Hizbullah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah vowed "victory" in Syria, where Hizbullah fighters are engaged in fierce battles against Syrian rebels in Qusayr.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Watching the rebels eat people's hearts isn't going to do anything but convince the Alawites in particular, and non-Sunnis in general, that they are even more screwed if Assad falls.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Watching the rebels eat people's hearts isn't going to do anything but convince the Alawites in particular, and non-Sunnis in general, that they are even more screwed if Assad falls.

I think the writing's been on the wall for a long time now for the Alawites and Christians in Syria when/if Assad falls. It will be absolutely horrific. The nearest thing I can imagine of their eventual fate would be Srebrenica or Rwanda on an absolutely massive scale. I think there's been little to no discussion amongst the international community on what they could try to do for these people in the event that Assad falls.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 26, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the newest cluster munition of the conflict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kcQhU5rFA

More on it here. That's the 6th cluster munition of the conflict.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
The Syrian government has agreed in principle to take part in the peace conference:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22672715

Meanwhile, the Syrian National Coalition is in the process of falling apart (more so than previously):

Syrian opposition unity talks hit snags before peace conference
http://news.yahoo.com/syrian-opposition-unity-talks-hit-snags-peace-conference-124808820.html

Discord bogs down Syrian opposition talks
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/05/2013525101221796276.html

Graham
Mar 18, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When will the jihad stop? :(

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Graham posted:

When will the jihad stop? :(

I actually have no idea what you're talking about here.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I empathize with Sakkar, but he's clearly a broken, twisted man, not that it really makes him just an all around awful person given the circumstances that drove him to it. I'm willing to bet that the morality of committing such an act never even crossed his mind. He and the group he was with figured it could be intimidating and help the war effort. With a war like this one, that leaves no aspirations, no dreams, no plans for the future, nothing other than "We must win," which is what any logical person in that scenario would think, I can't imagine you'd dwell much about whether or not you'll be able to sleep at night later in life knowing the things you've done.

It still drives me nuts to see people act like this is representative of anything at all, whether it be an increase in fundamentalists or a lack of SNC control. There is literally not one other conclusion you can take from it other than that Abu Sakkar is a broken individual. American soldiers entire families were safe, thousands of miles away, they fought for only a year at a time, and had the benefit of having the richest military support in the entire world while fighting a massively overwhelmed force, and we saw them torture prisoners, murder civilians, piss on the dead, and every manner of humiliating act you can think of. Simply because they were stressed out about how long was left til they got to go home and be done with the fighting ( a luxury which Syrians don't even get to count the days until). That and maybe seen someone they grew close with since they first met them a couple years ago, die, although on a person by person basis, at a much smaller ratio than Syrians. You can't realistically place higher standards on a ragtag army than the U.S. was able to achieve, especially considering how much worse their situation is. Sakkar's happen.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

It still drives me nuts to see people act like this is representative of anything at all, whether it be an increase in fundamentalists or a lack of SNC control. There is literally not one other conclusion you can take from it other than that Abu Sakkar is a broken individual. American soldiers entire families were safe, thousands of miles away, they fought for only a year at a time, and had the benefit of having the richest military support in the entire world while fighting a massively overwhelmed force, and we saw them torture prisoners, murder civilians, piss on the dead, and every manner of humiliating act you can think of. Simply because they were stressed out about how long was left til they got to go home and be done with the fighting ( a luxury which Syrians don't even get to count the days until). That and maybe seen someone they grew close with since they first met them a couple years ago, die, although on a person by person basis, at a much smaller ratio than Syrians. You can't realistically place higher standards on a ragtag army than the U.S. was able to achieve, especially considering how much worse their situation is. Sakkar's happen.

But the SNC do lack control. I'd say that the lack of an overarching Syrian opposition force that is directing the war and lacks even the semblance of a chain of command or ability to maintain discipline makes the existance of people like Sakkar far more worrying. If the Assad government does fall, then there will be absolutely nothing stopping Sakkar and his ilk, never mind the jihadists, from carrying out whatever sort of revenge their twisted minds find approporiate on the enemy civilian population.

George Sabra and his 'Abu Sakkar dead or alive! Thirty thousand men to secure the oil fields!" claims are surely a joke by now. I doubt he has any authority or respect at all inside Syria.

mediadave fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 27, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mediadave posted:

But the SNC do lack control. I'd say that the lack of an overarching Syrian opposition force that is directing the war and lacks even the semblance of a chain of command or ability to maintain discipline makes the existance of people like Sakkar far more worrying. If the Assad government does fall, then there will be absolutely nothing stopping Sakkar and his ilk, never mind the jihadists, from carrying out whatever sort of revenge their twisted minds find approporiate on the enemy civilian population.

George Sabra and his 'Abu Sakkar dead or alive! Thirty thousand men to secure the oil fields!" claims are surely a joke by now. I doubt he has any authority or respect at all inside Syria.

I agree. Khatib even called upon Sabra to resign, and the fact that the entire Syrian faction of the SNC took their ball and went home, leaving the Qatari and MB blocs to wear the SNC as their organization pretty much dooms it. But bI don't think there will be "nothing stopping" people like Sakkar should Assad fall, as Russian interests in the region would be largely diminished, meaning it'll likely be less politically toxic for the international community to provide aid to the opposition. My point is simply Sakkar isn't indicative of any of this.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Found this picture on a semi-official Hezbollah website. It contains a list of martyrs (or rather a screencap of a folder with subfolders named after martyrs, which amounts to the same thing). There sre 97 names of HA fighters killed in Syria since at least late April. I think that's about as reliable as you can get with regards to Hezbollah KIA in Syria so far.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/936344_582190801812612_1270463485_n.jpg

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Is Shiyah part of Dahiyeh? A lot of articles I'm reading are really unclear about where exactly this attack took place.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If I had to place it, I'd say it's really around the middle of Dahiyeh.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
The Daily Beast has an exclusive on John McCain entering Syria and meeting with the upper echelon of the Free Syrian Army. Looks like he's ramping up his ongoing push for further U.S. involvement in the conflict that would surely change the dynamics on the ground. Not sure if this is a good thing by any stretch...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dox posted:

The Daily Beast has an exclusive on John McCain entering Syria and meeting with the upper echelon of the Free Syrian Army. Looks like he's ramping up his ongoing push for further U.S. involvement in the conflict that would surely change the dynamics on the ground. Not sure if this is a good thing by any stretch...

He's been calling for it for a while now. Keep in mind that right after the Benghazi incident, when everyone was making GBS threads on Libya and Obama for letting terrorists exist, McCain went on television and said that Libya had a free election and elected moderates as a result of the war. Called them our friends and said it was ridiculous to portray them as an enemy to the U.S. He caught a lot of flak for that. He's a bit eager to go into other places at times when it would end in a disaster, but I think he genuinely feels for people stuck in conflicts like this. His opinion coming out might be poo poo, but at least he's the kind of conservative who actually wants to know what is going on and how to help instead of just defaulting to the anti-democrat position without really caring.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Volkerball posted:

He's been calling for it for a while now. Keep in mind that right after the Benghazi incident, when everyone was making GBS threads on Libya and Obama for letting terrorists exist, McCain went on television and said that Libya had a free election and elected moderates as a result of the war. Called them our friends and said it was ridiculous to portray them as an enemy to the U.S. He caught a lot of flak for that. He's a bit eager to go into other places at times when it would end in a disaster, but I think he genuinely feels for people stuck in conflicts like this. His opinion coming out might be poo poo, but at least he's the kind of conservative who actually wants to know what is going on and how to help instead of just defaulting to the anti-democrat position without really caring.

US Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham have consistently said that the US military needs to be involved more in these conflicts, even if there is zero reason for them to be there. They had plenty to say criticizing Obama's 'Lead from Behind' role for months during the NATO mission over Libya. Really anything less than Obama sending actual troops to the area, he won't be 'doing enough' in McCain's eyes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

McCain is one of the neocon hawks in government, I don't think anyone should take him seriously really. It's absolutely not surprising at all that he would try to start a fight. He's an old republican being an old republican.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
So the BBC are reporting the the EU will meet to discuss easing arms sanctions so the rebels can be armed. I see that ending well...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22677599

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Apparent description of chemical weapons attacks from French reporter embeds with the Syrian resistance.

quote:

Reporters for Le Monde spent two months clandestinely in the Damascus area alongside Syrian rebels. They describe the extent of the Syrian tragedy, the intensity of the fighting, the humanitarian drama. On the scene during chemical weapons attacks, they bear witness to the use of toxic arms by the government of Bashar al-Assad.

A chemical attack on the Jobar front, on the outskirts of the Syrian capital, doesn't look like anything much at first. It's not spectacular. Above all, it's not detectable. And that's the aim: by the time the rebel fighters of the Free Syrian Army who have penetrated furthest into Damascus understand that they've been exposed to chemical products by government forces, it's too late. No matter which type of gas is used, it has already produced its effects, only a few hundred meters from residential areas of the Syrian capital.

At first, there is only a little sound, a metallic ping, almost a click. And in the confusion of daily combat in Jobar's Bahra 1 sector, this sound didn't catch the attention of the fighters of the Tahrir al-Sham ('Liberation of Syria') Brigade. 'We thought it was a mortar that didn't explode, and no one really paid attention to it,' said Omar Haidar, chief of operations of the brigade, which holds this forward position less than 500 meters from Abbasid Square.

Searching for words to describe the incongruous sound, he said it was like 'a Pepsi can that falls to the ground.' No odor, no smoke, not even a whistle to indicate the release of a toxic gas. And then the symptoms appear. The men cough violently. Their eyes burn, their pupils shrink, their vision blurs. Soon they experience difficulty breathing, sometimes in the extreme; they begin to vomit or lose consciousness. The fighters worst affected need to be evacuated before they suffocate.

Reporters from Le Monde witnessed this on several days in a row in this district, on the outskirts of Damascus, which the rebels entered in January. Since then, Jobar has become a key battleground for both the Free Syrian Army and the government. In two months spent reporting on the outskirts of the Syrian captial, we encountered similar cases across a much larger region. Their gravity, their increasing frequency and the tactic of using such arms shows that what is being released is not just tear gas, which is used on all fronts, but products of a different class that are far more toxic.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Don't you need some kind of propellant to disperse a chemical weapon in order for it to...work?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If someone like McCain/Romney were in the Oval Office we'd be fighting World War 3 already.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Syria arms embargo lifted. God help the people of Syria. They're gonna need it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
People of Syria, alone? Nay, it's the entire Middle East and further that is going to be hosed if EU starts truly pumping weapons to Syria. And just as we achieved the arms trade treaty in UN, it's the loving EU that screws it.

William Hague is insane.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Your move, Putin.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Nenonen posted:

People of Syria, alone? Nay, it's the entire Middle East and further that is going to be hosed if EU starts truly pumping weapons to Syria. And just as we achieved the arms trade treaty in UN, it's the loving EU that screws it.

William Hague is insane.

A/RES/67/234 (which, really, is just a for-real-this-time implementation of A/CONF.217/CRP.1) was never meant to control weapon transfers meant for the Syrian rebels. It very specifically lays out the the principles and methods of international arms trade between states. To me, owing to the timing and wording of the resolution, it seems likely that the treaty as implemented exists mainly to prevent the Iranians from supplying the Syrian government while giving outside states free reign to continue arming the non-state rebels- note that at the time of the resolution's adoption the main complaints from the Iranians was that the treaty failed to have enough regulations preventing transfer of arms to "terrorist groups" who probably in the mind of the Iranian government include the Syrian rebels.

This isn't to say that arms control is a bad thing, certainly. But I think the timing of it all is just a little too pat.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 28, 2013

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Jut posted:

Don't you need some kind of propellant to disperse a chemical weapon in order for it to...work?

Not a visible one. Beyond that many methods involve dispersing the agent on the way down to the ground so by the time the munition impacts there's nothing to see or hear. That method would also explain the delayed effect, as it takes a little time for the cloud of dispersed agent to drift to the ground.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 28, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dox posted:

I really hope there is some White House response to this, did they give him the go ahead for this? If not, what the hell is he doing going all rogue on the State Department?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

If not, what the hell is he doing going all rogue on the State Department?

You could say... he's a maverick! :haw:

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

ecureuilmatrix posted:

You could say... he's a maverick! :haw:

You could say that, save for the fact that John McCain has disavowed EVER being maverick-ey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
He was just lying to the feds.

• Locked thread