Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Could someone please explain, in small words, what the deal with Monsanto and GMO is and why everyone is :rolleyes: at it? My sister and her fiancee just liked and shared this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
There's a couple articles about it in the NYT and AP that you should check out for some basic information. The D&D Pictures thread has some good content posts on it as well. The shortest version is that the safety of GMO products is a nebulous topic at best which relies on appeals to emotions, but the unambiguously anti-farmer practices of Monsanto are a worthy target for protest.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

kinmik posted:

Could someone please explain, in small words, what the deal with Monsanto and GMO is and why everyone is :rolleyes: at it? My sister and her fiancee just liked and shared this.

The story I heard is Monsanto use genetic modification to effectively tag their seeds as their property, and if they find anybody selling their crop they take the farmers to court for the cash they made on it or some equally exploitative crap. The average person hippie is hearing "Monsanto" "GMO" "bad" and assuming that the strongest link is between "GMO" and "bad".

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

The story I heard is Monsanto use genetic modification to effectively tag their seeds as their property, and if they find anybody selling their crop they take the farmers to court for the cash they made on it or some equally exploitative crap. The average person hippie is hearing "Monsanto" "GMO" "bad" and assuming that the strongest link is between "GMO" and "bad".

It's not even a GMO issue since legally GMO food can only be created through what amounts to advanced horticulture, not putting fish genes in corn (though they can do that for experiments and shits n' giggles)

However, Monsato does have some really hosed up business practices, lobbying for protections in the USA and generally acts like a poo poo. If people could stop blaming every disease, environmental problem and health issue on GMO crops or red food colouring maybe we could make some progress.

Someone on my wall posted a link to an article that blamed Monsato purely for the sudden disappearances of bees. Like, really? Sudden Colony Collapse syndrome is a huge deal and it's happening all over the world, not just where Monsato sprays roundup. Dumbasses.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
From gently caress the poor! To gently caress everyone but landowners!

:smithicide:
OP is my cousin, I'm FB User #1 and I don't know the other two.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Respond with landowners should have to own at least 5 acres fully paid off to be able to vote. No one cares about a stupid 1/2 acre suburban house you haven't even paid off yet, you in fact don't own jack yet. What motivation does anyone have to be a responsible citizen when their hand holdings are insignificant enough that they can just move around whenever.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Amused to Death posted:

Respond with landowners should have to own at least 5 acres fully paid off to be able to vote. No one cares about a stupid 1/2 acre suburban house you haven't even paid off yet, you in fact don't own jack yet. What motivation does anyone have to be a responsible citizen when their hand holdings are insignificant enough that they can just move around whenever.

My cousin deleted the thread after her friend started posting about how Indians were better off now after the "godly pilgrims" came. I responded with Bartolomé de las Casas' report of conquistador treatment of Native Americans (with a warning for graphic content). Guess that was enough for her. Oh well.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RillAkBea posted:

The story I heard is Monsanto use genetic modification to effectively tag their seeds as their property, and if they find anybody selling their crop they take the farmers to court for the cash they made on it or some equally exploitative crap.
That's not exactly exploitative crap - it's the only business model that genetically modified seeds can really have. Farmers have to enter a licensing agreement to grow Monsanto crops; if someone is found growing their crop without such an agreement, Monsanto sues them in order to protect their intellectual property.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

That's not exactly exploitative crap - it's the only business model that genetically modified seeds can really have. Farmers have to enter a licensing agreement to grow Monsanto crops; if someone is found growing their crop without such an agreement, Monsanto sues them in order to protect their intellectual property.

Except this is often applied to cases where natural cross-pollination leads to a neighboring field "growing" monsanto crops without authorization; resulting in big M dropping the hammer on them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Royal W posted:

Except this is often applied to cases where natural cross-pollination leads to a neighboring field "growing" monsanto crops without authorization; resulting in big M dropping the hammer on them.
I have never seen a legitimate case of this. The one that everyone always points to, Monsanto Canada v. Schmeiser, was because the farmer in question deliberately isolated the Monsanto crop by spraying one of his fields with Roundup herbicide, which kills all plants but Monsanto's 'roundup ready' variety, saved the seed from the surviving plants, and planted his fields the next year with that seed. His 1998 fields were 95-98% roundup ready canola, a level that cannot plausibly occur through accidental contamination alone.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I agree, Ian Monsanto sure is an idiot on facebook (this is the poo poo that got the last thread closed).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Amused to Death posted:

Technically speaking, you do own it, but it's collateral against the mortgage you borrowed from the bank to buy it. Unless you're purchasing as a contract for deed or landowner contract, which are fairly rare and consistently arrangements between private individuals.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

From gently caress the poor! To gently caress everyone but landowners!

:smithicide:
OP is my cousin, I'm FB User #1 and I don't know the other two.

I don't think there is a better phrase from this thread than "My girl friend had her's daughter identity stolen by 5 different illegal immigrants. Screw it. Send them back!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ularg posted:

I don't think there is a better phrase from this thread than "My girl friend had her's daughter identity stolen by 5 different illegal immigrants. Screw it. Send them back!"

I'm honestly surprised someone didn't call that person out (assuming, from the way they worded it, their girlfriend's kid had her identity stolen on five separate occasions).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Regalingualius posted:

I'm honestly surprised someone didn't call that person out (assuming, from the way they worded it, their girlfriend's kid had her identity stolen on five separate occasions).

Actually, from the way they worded it, the daughter had her identity stolen FROM five different immigrants, which I assume means that legally she is now an amalgam of five different unfortunate Mexicans.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fatkraken posted:

Actually, from the way they worded it, the daughter had her identity stolen FROM five different immigrants, which I assume means that legally she is now an amalgam of five different unfortunate Mexicans.

Sort of like a mexican Voltron?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SiKboy posted:

Sort of like a mexican Voltron?

ˇY yo formo la cabeza!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

ˇY yo formo la cabeza!

:golfclap:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's a guy on my facebook who periodically forgets it's not twitter:

And just in case you thought it might be one of those 'automatically upload your tweet to facebook' things, think again:

Because that one would be way, way longer than a tweet could possibly ever be.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I usually hate people complaining about the occasional hashtag, but jesus christ. He's hashing the tag of every noun in the picture.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I assume it's what he posted on his instagram. Doesn't make hashtagging every word any less dumb though.

Moonswamp
Feb 14, 2012
A libertarian from high school strikes again.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I was recently unfriended by this person. I have a sneaking suspicion it was because she realised I was a Catholic because I didn't do anything particularly offensive recently. Here's some of what I can still see anyway, for general flavour.

Seriously though, God sometimes. What a guy.

And some stuff from a while ago about protests in Belfast (from public pages, I'm not blanking out names)

Minchin Dupree
Oct 23, 2008

...I'll smash them.

MUH XBAWX :byodood:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MUH XBAWX don't need your fancy punk-tchoo-ay-shun

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

A local rock/metal/punk/emo club is being racist. I can’t imagine calling them out would go well.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Ouch, that made my brain spasm.

DIED A VIRGIN
Dec 21, 2012

yes no yes no yes
Welp, this just showed up in my news feed.

:sigh:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Someone just set up the page Belfast Rate Your Shags which is full of lovely, lovely lad banter. But I can't tell if this is excellent satire or not

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Recent events have brought out all sorts of Facebook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Woolwich_attack for the general background
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22684489 for the specific news that pissed off this guy

Bonus for excellent grammar from both sides...

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

That last comment he makes, holy loving poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shannonmcn posted:

For posterity:

:psyduck: posted:

But what I will say is (green) in the future if you have a daughter in london.... the chances are by the time she is 14 she will be passed around 50 men called ahmed whilst pumped with drugs

Jesus loving Christ :catstare: How do you even think things like that.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I genuinely worry that one day someone will say things like around me in real life and I don't know what my reaction will be. If I only throw up in their face I'll count that as superhuman self-restraint.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
loving hell. That's one of the most bizarre and racist things I've heard in a while. Is Red your friend? Is this normal for him (or her, whatever)?

Well, anyway, here's some content:

Try to parse this complaint. What do you think Red is angry about? If you guessed "people who think Jesus was Jewish," you're right!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Edit: Oh wow that's a whole new level of hosed up. If he wasn't jewish what the gently caress was he?

RE: Muslim gang rape whilst on drugs: I think - perharp naively - that most of those people wouldn't say that kind of things in real life; they need the buffer of the internet to protect themselves.

Because holy poo poo, I would slap them.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
You know, this happened 3 weeks beforehand
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/02/birmingham-murder-racially-motivated-police

oddly enough, I don't think there was any backlash against the entire white dude community of England.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

The "raped by ahmed while on drugs thing" is a problem at the minute since the tabloids love to publicise child sex trafficking rings which are made up of non-whites (while ignoring those that are all white middle class guys) to stir up racial hatred and as click-bait. This article is a bit of a satricial criticism. Idiocy can be found in the comments section, just so I indirectly provide content!

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Shannonmcn posted:

Seriously. I forgot I was here and tried to reply for a moment. Obviously, the guy thinks he's the moral one here, but he's just espousing that same prurient fascination with rape that so many people pat themselves on the back for. He's the one having the clearly graphic fantasy about a girl being gangraped here.

For content, here's yet another visit to the Armageddon-loving page my parents like. This is in response to news about an earthquake in AZ:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Taliaquin posted:

Seriously. I forgot I was here and tried to reply for a moment. Obviously, the guy thinks he's the moral one here, but he's just espousing that same prurient fascination with rape that so many people pat themselves on the back for. He's the one having the clearly graphic fantasy about a girl being gangraped here.

For content, here's yet another visit to the Armageddon-loving page my parents like. This is in response to news about an earthquake in AZ:

Jesus these people are eagerly awaiting the apocalypse are they?

And what about that secret evacuation of the West coast? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Shannonmcn posted:

FrozenVent posted:

For posterity:

Jesus loving Christ :catstare: How do you even think things like that.
For context, he is saying this because of several recent high profile cases in the UK where gangs of South Asian men were convicted of passing girls (some as young as 11) round for sex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_sex_grooming_case
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344218/Asian-sex-gangs-Culture-silence-allows-grooming-white-girls-fear-racist.html

By no means defending his comments, but just pointing out they are not comlpete batshit insanity for someone who thinks like that.

• Locked thread