Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The more I listen to the English cast, the more I think that I prefer the Japanese voices for basically everyone except Zero III. You can't hate English Zero III though, that's physically impossible. She's just so full of enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
The maths of 999 has been replaced with... color theory. I didn't see that coming, but I'm strangely ok with it. Things I am also ok with: Zero III. Loving Zero III so far, he (?) is like a mix of Monobear and GLaDOS, which honestly is the second best combination of machine antagonists I can think of.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
An interesting translation note, since we were talking earlier about the use of English words in the Japanese audio: The Chromatic Doors are simply called "Colored Doors" using the English phrase in the Japanese track. I suppose "Chromatic" is an appropriately non-standard word to mirror the unusual nature of the English phrase to Japanese speakers while still making it clear what they're talking about.

As for Zero III's nicknames for everyone, I can never catch all of them, but I don't believe they're puns in Japanese. It just refers to Sigma as "Sigma" and Phi as "Phi-kun", for example - rather condescending ways to refer to someone that, as any Japanese translator will tell you, have no equivalent in English and tend to cause problems any time they become relevant to the dialogue. I think the use of nicknames is pretty clever, although it makes Zero III sound a bit meaner than was perhaps intended. Calling Dio "B.O." is just childish, and I don't think it was meant to come across that way. It's more an "I'm superior to you, and I'm in control of everything, so I'll talk to you however I like."

Fedule, let me know if you don't want me posting differences like these in the thread, since I know of a few that could be considered to have relevance to the story later on.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hate the stupid cartoon rabbit thing, I hate that it's an AI. We're about three updates in and it's already gone all Dangan Ronpa on us. :smith:

Maybe it was stupid to hope that the game would be a little less crazy and less anime than 999?

EDIT: To elaborate a little more, 999 gave us a fairly normal cast of people in an odd situation with a (seemingly) comprehensible mystery. The crazy AI stuff means we have no idea of the internal logic here. And instead of an amnesiac but seemingly normal and relateable guy like Seven, we have some crazy robot dude? There's nothing to ground any of it so far and I am thoroughly un-invested in the story.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 27, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VagueRant posted:

Maybe it was stupid to hope that the game would be a little less crazy and less anime than 999?

I can tell you that it absolutely was. I have no idea why you would expect anything otherwise.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Nidoking posted:

As for Zero III's nicknames for everyone, I can never catch all of them, but I don't believe they're puns in Japanese. It just refers to Sigma as "Sigma" and Phi as "Phi-kun", for example - rather condescending ways to refer to someone that, as any Japanese translator will tell you, have no equivalent in English and tend to cause problems any time they become relevant to the dialogue. I think the use of nicknames is pretty clever, although it makes Zero III sound a bit meaner than was perhaps intended. Calling Dio "B.O." is just childish, and I don't think it was meant to come across that way. It's more an "I'm superior to you, and I'm in control of everything, so I'll talk to you however I like."

The nicknames are completely an invention on the part of the translator. They aren't really necessary here as a cultural-equivalent to honorifics - Zero III uses -kun for everyone but Tenmyouji, who gets just a little more respect with a -san. That's the subordinate use of -kun (as in, what teachers call their students, or bosses their workers), and doesn't really fit the nicknames. That is, this is simply a translation embellishment.

The rabbit puns are also much more prevalent than the ~usa tick J-Zero3 has. In Japanese, the tick comes and goes, and there are long stretches of dialogue where he doesn't use it at all. In English, the puns continue nonstop once he starts using them.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

orenronen posted:

Zero III uses -kun for everyone but Tenmyouji, who gets just a little more respect with a -san.

Oh, really? It sounded to me like that was intended as a pun on "ojii-san" (if I've romanized that correctly) to emphasize the fact that he's an old man. Then again, I'm terrible at recognizing the various subtle vowel differences, so I'm sure you're right on this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I hate the stupid cartoon rabbit thing, I hate that it's an AI.
I agree, no sci-fi ever. It's not like works of great beauty have ever been science fiction, or featured AI. Man, what the gently caress is 2001?

Seriously though, you're free to not like the game or not dig its vibe, but a post like this is kind of silly.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The only thing that throws me off about comments like that is that 999 was never really "grounded in reality" in the first place.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Again, 999 is a game where a 12-year old girl mindlinks with her childhood friend 9 years in the future, miles away from each other, and the whole game involves avoiding a temporal paradox. Right now this is game is somehow less absurd.

...I have no doubt in my mind this will change soon, but still.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

The only thing that throws me off about comments like that is that 999 was never really "grounded in reality" in the first place.

Well, at the very beginning, when all you know is that you've been kidnapped by a dude in a gas mask and thrown in a overly complex death trap, it seems fairly realistic.

I guess the exact point when the game goes off track is up to the reader: either past the first door when June starts talking about frozen mummies who put a curse on the Titanic and writers who are possessed by their future ghosts, or even earlier when Lotus' outfit is introduced.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 27, 2013

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm actually really glad they didn't try to pretend this was going to be anything but filled with bizarre creations and wacky abilities. Sure, 999 pulled kind of a bait-and-switch, or at the very least didn't play its full hand until the end, but there's no reason to try that with the sequel. Honestly I think it'd be kind of annoying.

BliShem
Dec 21, 2008
I could listen to Zero III all day :allears:

That rabbit can't be AI, it has to be controlled by Junpei, loving with Clover as payback for some of 999's bad endings. No machine can pun like that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Food for thought.

Zero III's nickname for Clover is 'Cleaver'.

Now, what does a cleaver share a shape with? :allears:

E: ^^^To be fair, this takes place in 2028, going on to 2029 according to the date at the beginning.^^^

E2: vvvLet's not forget Mega Man Battle Network's Navi customizer, which brought us the Humor Program!vvv

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 27, 2013

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

By 2028, pun-based software is exponentially more powerful.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Well, at the very beginning, when all you know is that you've been kidnapped by a dude in a gas mask and thrown in a overly complex death trap, it seems fairly realistic.

I guess the exact point when the game goes off track is up to the reader: either past the first door when June starts talking about frozen mummies who put a curse on the Titanic and writers who are possessed by their future ghosts, or even earlier when Lotus' outfit is introduced.

I don't know, for me, it was the lack of the incredibly standard "OMG KAWAII" character (with the possible exception of Clover, who ends up swiftly redeeming herself) that's found in an incredible amount of Japanese games. There also felt like there was an element of danger, water flooding in and a mysterious and ominous masked figure, who only very rarely spoke. Even the characters themselves were a BIT more "realistic", a bit more sympathetic. Here we've got a new toy line giving us exposition CONSTANTLY, we've got stage magicians, little kids who like taping bottles to their heads for no apparent reason, someone who wears even LESS than Lotus, and a giant talking robot. I really can't feel any attachment to these characters with the possible exception of Clover, mostly because I know what she's going through right now.

Complaints aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, and I hope that this one soon picks up the sense of danger and tragedy the first encapsulated.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I ever make an AI to emcee my puzzle-deathtrap game, it's totally going to be something bouncy and cute to throw everybody off balance. Makes it all the more fun when I drop someone into a pit of bees.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Given the twists and the final scene of the previous game, there doesn't actually appear to be any limits to what is plausible (a bad thing). The robot guy could be Wyatt Earp pulled through time and transplanted into a robot body for all we know.

I've tried to write about this several times and then had to delete it because of risks of accidental spoilers, so I'll just be brief: I think VLR is fairer about the supernatural aspect than 999 is. Also, the comment above got me reading the Dangan Ronpa LP (which is currently eating my free time and my brain) and I think VLR is fairer than that, too, although DR seems to be thoroughly out there based on what I've read of it so far.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

CottonWolf posted:

The more I listen to the English cast, the more I think that I prefer the Japanese voices for basically everyone except Zero III. You can't hate English Zero III though, that's physically impossible. She's just so full of enthusiasm.

I felt the same way when I played it. I generally just kept the voices on Japanese the whole time.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I do think it's a good idea not to take Zero III at face value when it claims to be an AI.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Since Zero III outright tells us one of them is Zero from the very beginning, I'm willing to bet there's a catch or a twist there. Like, for example, K is Zero but he doesn't remember it at all. But that's way too obvious.

Of course the twist could easily be "Zero III is lying" but that's no fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Since Zero III outright tells us one of them is Zero from the very beginning, I'm willing to bet there's a catch or a twist there. Like, for example, K is Zero but he doesn't remember it at all. But that's way too obvious.

Of course the twist could easily be "Zero III is lying" but that's no fun.

They're all Zero. The game's actual title is Murder in the Orient Sealed Death Warehouse.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

I do think it's a good idea not to take Zero III at face value when it claims to be an AI.

Hey, just because Zero kidnapped everyone and threw them into a puzzle deathtrap doesn't mean he's dishonest. Besides I expect nothing less than absolute honesty from my murder-game AI's.

Bruceski posted:

They're all Zero. The game's actual title is Murder in the Orient Sealed Death Warehouse.

Everybody is Zero in puzzle purgatory.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Zero III's voice is the best thing. It sounds so happy. :3:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HelloWinter posted:

It begins! And long may it continue.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

HelloWinter posted:

Actually, I think that gif qualifies as the best thing. :3:

Zero III is amazing, though. I like how he seems much more involved than Zero was in 999, hanging around to answer questions, and get on everyone's nerves as much as possible.

I'll confess to having played this myself, but it was a while ago, and I forgot basically everything, including how amazing a certain little bunny is, apparently. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At least we know for sure it's a 9 and not a q on the door. :v:

Zero III is really fantastic and I like the cast of characters so far.

The fact that they can (apparently) only get BP in an Ambidex Room, so they'd have to be able to backtrack through the Chromatic Doors. Maybe then the order that you choose the doors in affects the endings. :psyduck: But then there's presumably something on the other side of the secondary doors.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

hyphz posted:

I've tried to write about this several times and then had to delete it because of risks of accidental spoilers, so I'll just be brief: I think VLR is fairer about the supernatural aspect than 999 is. Also, the comment above got me reading the Dangan Ronpa LP (which is currently eating my free time and my brain) and I think VLR is fairer than that, too, although DR seems to be thoroughly out there based on what I've read of it so far.

His problem more seems to be the inclusion of supernatural elements to begin with, though, not how they're handled.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Hmmmm. So if we want to go through the magenta door, we take Luna, if we want the yellow door we take Tenmyouji, and if we want the cyan door we take Alice, right? That kinda sucks that you can't start out with any of the paired people, because K seems cool (I mean, no idea about who he actually is, if he's not a robot, but he seems like a rational, intelligent, easygoing guy). I would assume the system changes somewhere along the line, or we would only get to see the paired four when in the main room.
Also, interesting to note that only a cursory attempt was made to have them feel like they were in danger, and since they've been in the central warehouse room, they've had the game explained, but Zero III has not threatened their life or told them they were in danger. This may yet come, but it would be interesting if it didn't.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Pure speculation, but I'm betting at least one person in this game is colorblind. If they really want to throw a wrench in, they can make it just red-green colorblind to really throw people off, but given that this game looks like it's going to be focusing on color theory, someone being colorblind is a great tool to throw into the mix.

And I'm hoping the rules change at certain points, because I already want to hang with K (and Clover, I guess).

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well, I guess we can guess why the bunny is Zero III. An AI made by the second zero.

Zerovirus
Mar 24, 2013
I'm somewhat suspicious of K right now. Zero III says he's an AI and not being controlled by anyone- except for the fact that K is this hulking huge mechanical robo-armor thing that could easily house a control panel and a person to operate Zero III wirelessly. The amnesia would also be something of a convenient excuse as well, of course. It'd also be interesting to see the person that's immediately accused of being the mole to actually be the mole of the group, and subvert expectations that way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kgummy posted:

Well, I guess we can guess why the bunny is Zero III. An AI made by the second zero.

Or she's the third Zero computer some guy built. Or it's software notation, AI version 0.3

Sytakan
Jul 26, 2012

Ohyes.
I am ashamed to admit that I keep reading Zero III's lines in Claptrap's voice.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This section very well could have been incredibly dry. It's basically the exposition for how the game is to be played, and thus has a need to be conveyed to both the player and to the characters, but it very easily could have been done without any character or flair behind it. Thankfully, we have Zero III who makes everything better.

Also, as someone that is color blind, figuring out how exactly the bracelets combined was a pain, and I appreciated at least one of the groupings being spelled out for me.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
A neat detail about Zero III is that it makes a rabbit pun, remarks upon it, and only then continues to make them, and with slow, growing amount. Its easy to just laugh at the puns, but you may be missing the primary feature there: the A.I. is learning. It is growing more capable of not only crafting puns, but cleverly inserting them into conversation, something that would be incredibly difficult for something which has to construct conversation patterns essential from scratch (not having a lifetime of human interaction to teach communication skills under its belt).

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I do hope that VLR is fairer than DR like hyphz has mentioned. The latter's ending pissed me off to no ends when I was spoiled to it.

And the masterminds of these death games need to stop throwing themselves in as a player. It is simply suicidal at this point.

Please never stop posting things like this. :3:

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
So I'm the only one who hates Zero III and its voice, loathes the puns and nicknames, and have 0 interest in any of these characters?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

asymmetrical posted:

So I'm the only one who hates Zero III and its voice, loathes the puns and nicknames, and have 0 interest in any of these characters?

Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So after hearing nonstop praise about this series decided to momentarily skip 999 (as I can't find any copies around here) and try the demo out for this game.

I can't even figure out what I'm doing and the controls are so bad and gosh I don't think I'm cut out for games like this. (I'm trying out the vita version for what it's worth). Think I should probably stick to the LP

• Locked thread