Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Sundae posted:

Also, make sure your buddy is being realistic on the 40-hours thing. Plenty of places say "oh, it's maybe 40-50 hours except during those rare rush times" and then slam you with salaried-exempt and 70+ forever because every time is rush time.

As far as I know, he's telling the truth as far as he knows it. He's been in the position before, although he's also been in the low-level positions where they DO get slammed. This, however, is a new location with presumably new upper management so who knows how it could shake out.

The other thing is that I'm eligible to get my Professional Geologist license. This wouldn't really improve my immediate situation but it could open up stuff down the line. Reflecting on that a bit, I would feel kinda stupid walking away from that after putting in the required time in the industry.

The prospect of a regular work week is so tempting though, ugh. I definitely need to change my job but I'm not sure if going to work in big box retail is the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

LogisticEarth posted:

The prospect of a regular work week is so tempting though, ugh. I definitely need to change my job but I'm not sure if going to work in big box retail is the way to do it.

In my experience, getting off the career train into an unrelated job is kind of a big deal. Just make sure you are considering everything before making a decision. These are some of the things you may not already be considering:

-Getting off of a career track means you may lose the momentum you've built up. This is important for your own sake -- there is an activation energy that exists when starting a career. If you hop off because you don't like where you are, it may be much harder to get yourself back in gear.

-You will have to come up with a reasonably good explanation for future employment opportunities for why you made this decision. "I hated my job" is not an acceptable answer, so give this end of things some thought.

-If you take this job, and you are doing it to retool your experience and where you want your professional life to go, consider the time commitment that this will have. You may be able to accomplish a retooling of your career while working where you are, and you can execute this immediately whenever you figure it out, versus taking this other manager job and the time cost of this entire endeavor, if you DO wind up back on a career track, taking upwards of several years.

Just some things to think about!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Eugh. All of those reasons you listed are why I can't quit my current job and go be a barback or barista or retail monkey even though that's all I want to do at this point.

I never thought I'd hate my job but man do I hate my loving job.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Yeah, I've had all those reasons in the back of my head as well. I keep telling myself I will just quit and drastically change my career but my reason keeps getting the better of me. I don't think it helps that my Facebook feed is filled with a bunch of old friends who have just been bumming around out in Montana and wherever in federal conservation programs and grad school. They're broke, taking on debt, and have few assets of any kind, but seem to be happy as hell.

I keep telling myself I'll be gloating when I'm 40 and in a much better position in life. :smith:

To be honest, if it weren't for the travel and long field days, the job I have doesn't suck so bad. But I'd like to move closer to family and buy a house. Problem is there is fewer jobs near them, and property is so expensive by where I live now that buying a house seems foolish. What I need is a decent job that is mostly separated from geographical constraints. I guess I need some of that internet money.

Fake Edit: E/N is leaking

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
If the aspects of your current job that you don't like are generally a part of the geologist career path and not of the specific job itself, then yes, a career change would be good if the whole path would make you miserable. However, if it's just the job, but there are other jobs at your company or in your field you'd like to do, then try to stick it out and find a new job that better fits what you're looking for. Going to work in retail is not going to make you happy if that's not what you ultimately want. You're proposing a very large and broad change for a very specific problem, but you're trading one set of immediate problems for a set of unknown ones.

It seems like you want to stay in this career path but just hate this job, so find a new job, and that's easiest to do when you have a job. Interviewing for another geologist job will be much easier now when you say "I'm looking for a job with less travel", as opposed to 1-10 years from now when you're tired of the retail management job (and maybe got stuck there after wanting to leave earlier) and you try to say "I'm looking to get back into my old career path" and you're competing with others that have more related experience and fresher knowledge.

I know you're itching to get out of this job, but don't let that desperation make you jump ship for anything but what you have now. Look for the job that you want; you have the resources and you look all the better to employers as someone who's employed. There's no "dream job", but take the time to find what you like, and you'd be surprised how much more bearable your current job is when you make an exit plan, so you don't feel as trapped. There's nothing like regretting a decision made in desperation. You have have more control in this situation than you think, so utilize it.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

huhwhat posted:

Hmm, mind if I ask what program you're in?

I admit that I am on the fence.

The stipend, not taking into account the local cost of living, is about 2 times what I'll be making if I accepted my new job offer, and that stipend is guaranteed for the duration of the program. While I'm not extremely passionate about the research area, I do like it because it's the kind of niche that will be in demand internationally, and it still has some ties to machine learning which I love.

Edit: Oh hey, I thought, with Decision-Day drawing closer, there's nothing to lose by being honest. Thought I should try deferring my job offer (by 2 months while waiting for admissions committee to make up their mind :lol:) by telling my sob story to the hiring manager and hoping to get some sympathy, but phone calls to the hiring manager did not go through both times. OK, I thought maybe I should try this honesty thing with the prof instead. After some back-and-forth emails, I finally got him to weigh in on my chances, and it's basically "don't wait for the program to make a decision, they are really selective". My fence-sitting behavior no doubt factored into the advice he gave me.

I'm coming from a big CS program, which definitely skews my perspective. If your stipend would pay more than the job you're considering, there's a lot less of a downside to grad school. I was working from the assumption that you'd be making a financial sacrifice to go to grad school. A lot of the attrition in my program was due to the fact that if you have the skills to succeed as a PhD candidate in CS, you could easily be making 5 times more money in industry.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the professor's responses. It's very common for professors to respond to all questions about admissions with circumspect non-answers, regardless of an applicant's actual chances.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

mfaley posted:

In my experience, getting off the career train into an unrelated job is kind of a big deal.

It is hard to overstate this, if I see someone with 10 years in one career path then suddenly swaps to something completely unrelated a few things cross my mind.

1. It means that this person is unlikely to be willing to let me leverage their previous skillset, as they obviously don't want to use it.
2. If I have to discount 10 years of work experience, is this person still a viable candidate?
3. Any references from their last career have to be vetted, as I doubt that they were really their supervisor (not thinking about this cost me once)

Generally I try to just judge the person as raw potential and see if they are suitable to learn the skills that I will need them to be effective.
Having said this, if they were a retail manager, and wanted to move into it management (pure people management) I would consider those skills transferable, some things don't change that much really.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uranium 235 posted:

Medical dosimetry, but you'd need another year of school. It pays very, very well, though, so it might be worth it to you to look into. Your background is perfectly suited for it. Some programs require a radiation therapist background, but several do not (the one I went to did not--my background was physics).

edit: If you are interested in putting in more time for school/residency, medical physics is an option. You could earn a higher salary, but residency positions are very competitive and are required for board certification, which is vital for finding a job. I considered med physics but went for dosimetry since I had already spent quite a bit of time in school and was ready for my career to begin (I got a degree in anthropology before my degree in physics).

Ooh. I heard something about medical dosimetry, but I was pushed more towards medical physics when I was checking it out. Is schooling for medical dosimetry available in many places, or would I have to move to Wisconsin or something for a school there?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Ooh. I heard something about medical dosimetry, but I was pushed more towards medical physics when I was checking it out. Is schooling for medical dosimetry available in many places, or would I have to move to Wisconsin or something for a school there?
Your options would be limited since you don't have a radiation therapy background (ARRT accreditation), but I know there are several schools that accept people with bachelor's degrees in the sciences.

I don't know, off the top of my head, which programs are open to non-ARRT accredited applicants. The ones I do know:

MD Anderson in Houston, TX (bachelor's program)
UAMS in Little Rock, AR (bachelor's program)
UW-LaCrosse, LaCrosse, WI (master's program... pretty sure they have a track for people with a bachelor's degree in a science)
University of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City, OK (same as above)

There are probably others. Just go here for a list of accredited programs and look into their requirements: http://www.jrcert.org/find-a-program/

If the career sounds interesting to you, give it some serious thought, even if it means relocating. A lot of programs are only 12 months long, though some are 24, and with your background, they should be relatively easy. I didn't have to do any research or write a thesis. Most projects I did were case studies and treatment planning (which is good because that will be your job).

Job prospects are very good. I started a job within three months of graduating (graduated 8/10, started 10/22) at a top hospital in NYC. I passed the board exam so I am now certified, and that bumped my salary to six figures. Not bad for a 12 month program.

Here's why I personally wouldn't recommend medical physics unless you really, really are committed to the idea of being a medical physicist: you need a master's degree at a minimum, so that's at least two more years of school. Then, to become certified, you need a two year residency. That's another two years, during which you are getting paid a fraction of what a dosimetrist makes. After your residency, you can sit for the board exams (dosimetrists have only one) and start applying for jobs. The master's programs are competitive, and the residencies are extremely competitive. Why? Because there are a lot of physics doctorates and post-docs who have no shot at landing a physics faculty position who are looking for other careers, and a lot of them are jumping into the medical physics residencies. This means a master's degree in medical physics does not guarantee you residency. I'm not saying it can't be done, but entry into the profession is much more difficult than entry into dosimetry.

Furthermore, a dosimetrist generally works 40 hours a week during normal business hours. Sometimes we stay late to work on emergency cases, but we never come in on weekends. Physicists, on the other hand, frequently need access to the linear accelerators to do their work, which means they have to work outside of normal business hours while patients are not being treated. That means staying late, sometimes past 10 pm, and coming in on weekends. It is far more likely that a physicist will work >40 hours a week than it is for a dosimetrist. While a physicist earns a higher salary, the effective hourly wage is closer to equal than many people realize. There's also work/life balance issues to consider.

I seriously considered medical physics, but the reasons above are why I went with dosimetry. It was easier to get into, the program was easier and faster to complete, finding a job was fairly easy, and the salary is still very high. The time spent in a medical physics program + residency + the increased difficulty + the realities of the job made medical physics much less attractive.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 26, 2013

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
This seems to be the most appropriate thread for some advice that I am looking for.

Right now I am a 27 year old that has a good job. I am relatively debt free (I have a 14k student loan and that's it), I have nearly 10k in savings at the moment, I have an IRA with 10k in it and I have started utilizing my companies 401k just last week, so it has NO money in it at the moment, but it will start being funded ASAP.

I have an associates degree and I am a restaurant manager making 45k a year, plus quarterly bonuses ranging from 500-1500 dollars depending on my stores performance. Previously I was a bank manager for a few years, and before that I managed a sunglasses store at a mall around where I live, so I have nearly a decade of retail management experience. I enjoy my job, but I want to go back to school to get a bachelors and a masters in speech pathology, a career path that I have been interested in for the past year or so.

My problem is that when I started going to school at 18, I was immature, aimless, and irresponsible and I hosed my GPA. I attended 3 schools around my area. At the first school I took 7 classes and ended with a 2.2 GPA, at the next school I took 7 classes and ended up with a .8 GPA, and then at my last school, where I got my associates, I took 9 classes and ended with a 2.7 GPA. Right now my GPA is around a 2, and I need to get it around a 3 to attend just about any college I want to go to for speech pathology. I think the best thing for me to do is to go back to the second school (as it was a community college) and retake the classes that I hosed up in to get my GPA closer to that 3, though I am hesitant because I already have my associates degree, but I don't see what other choice I have.

I currently reside in Michigan, and I really want to move out of state somewhere because I have been here my whole life and I really need a change. Preferably somewhere south where it is warm, in a much bigger city with public transit so I can get rid of my car, and I would like to do that sooner than later.

I am looking at Austin TX to move to specifically and the question really is should I save up some more money before I move and get my GPA straightened out, and if I do move out are the chances of finding a job comparable to the one that I have now unreasonable? Is there any way to get into a college with my GPA and work experience that may save me time? Does it sound like I'm doing the right things with my money at the moment? Does anyone have any advice on colleges for speech pathology, or programs that may help out my future career? Any advice in general would be great.

Thank you!

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
What's the rule on providing code examples and whatnot to prospective employers. From a current position. I want to show off my talents, but resumes don't get you a job.

This is for a Database Analyst job. MS t-sql and poo poo.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

JollyGreen posted:

What's the rule on providing code examples and whatnot to prospective employers. From a current position. I want to show off my talents, but resumes don't get you a job.

This is for a Database Analyst job. MS t-sql and poo poo.

I woudn't directly provide any current code from a current position, that could be construed negatively in a lot of different ways. I would maybe take one strong example and generalize it to talk about apples and oranges and stuff, something that wouldn't give away any internal business rules or logic, but still proves your programming/database competence.

For some positions, I think they will ask you for these kinds of examples, but in the case that they don't, I'd bring it up in an interview or a phone screen, something like "I'm happy to provide samples of my code for reference".

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I've looked up resources online, but I was wondering if anyone could give me info on ux/ui career paths. I'm thinking of making the switch from what I do now (social science research), and wanted to get a better sense of what it's like. I know I'd need a portfolio, and that having technical know-how about programming, etc. would be helpful, but is there anything else culture-wise? From all of the blogs I've read, people in the field seem to be enthusiastic about where they'll place that OK button on the confirmation screen, but I don't know if that enthusiasm is universal (or if I'd share it). I'd be enthusiastic about researching related to user experience, but I also know that doesn't always happen as often in the design process due to budget and time restraints.

Sorry to be so vague, but I guess I want an idea of what the day-to-day is like, salary, etc., just to see if it would be a good fit with my background and personality.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I'm a UI Engineer, so I don't do much designing, but I am involved in that process. You're right that for most companies, UX testing is only "if we have budget/time and the CEO actually questions his own decisions". But, there are companies that do nothing but UX testing on contract for other businesses. So if you end up working at one of these, you'll do it constantly. Early on in the design process, there's a lot more research into the types of users, the goals of the project, etc. But towards the end, yes it is lots of discussion about just where exactly and what color that OK button should be.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

sim posted:

I'm a UI Engineer, so I don't do much designing, but I am involved in that process. You're right that for most companies, UX testing is only "if we have budget/time and the CEO actually questions his own decisions". But, there are companies that do nothing but UX testing on contract for other businesses. So if you end up working at one of these, you'll do it constantly. Early on in the design process, there's a lot more research into the types of users, the goals of the project, etc. But towards the end, yes it is lots of discussion about just where exactly and what color that OK button should be.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look up some more info on UX testing companies.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
So this seems like a good place to seek some help:

I'm 29, going to be 30 in September. I have no debt to speak of with about $14k in savings. I am currently an editor for the marketing side of an NYC civil engineering firm making $60k a year. I have probably $30k in a ROTH IRA. I am also probably going to inherit about $60k soon, which will go straight into savings.

I am incredibly lucky and I have almost 6 years of editorial experience out of 8 years office experience total, but I am pretty much beaten up and exhausted by NYC and bored by working in technical editorial fields (finance, textbooks, civil engineering).

Some of my friends moved out to LA to be TV and screenwriters and they're really struggling to make ends meet, but I'm still drawn to writing screenplays and stories in my spare time. I am looking to stay with a full-time job in editorial, with the caveat that I'd like to find something a lot less dry to work on. A friend is helping me put together a copywriting portfolio for freelance work on the side and eventually I'd love for that to be my full-time career, but in the meantime should I move outside of the city and try to find work that keeps me more engaged? Like a lot of other goons, I'm really drawn to work in the tech, gaming, comic, film, and television industries in particular. Can I jump laterally into a corporate communicator position for one of these industries without sacrificing my career progress?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Gray Ghost posted:

Can I jump laterally into a corporate communicator position for one of these industries without sacrificing my career progress?

I can't really say for sure but I feel like moving from one type of full-time writing to another wouldn't kill your momentum. Moving onto an LA friend's couch to try your hand an screenwriting, however, might. I have a one friend who has taken the last few years to try that. He's burned pretty much everything he had and has no exit strategy. Obviously it works out for some but man is that like playing the lottery.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What's the best way to calculate how much you're worth to your company when asking for pay increases? For example, last year I worked and implemented a new product by myself (others helped in various stages but only I had the technical know how to make it work). If my company went and got some external consultants to do it, it'd probably cost them $20,000+ all up but at the same time, it'll be a bit more fancy and robust. Do I get to say that I should be paid a sizable proportion of that $20,000 or is it just an input that goes into that overall calculations?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

What's the best way to calculate how much you're worth to your company when asking for pay increases? For example, last year I worked and implemented a new product by myself (others helped in various stages but only I had the technical know how to make it work). If my company went and got some external consultants to do it, it'd probably cost them $20,000+ all up but at the same time, it'll be a bit more fancy and robust. Do I get to say that I should be paid a sizable proportion of that $20,000 or is it just an input that goes into that overall calculations?

This can be somewhat of a tricky question and can be very dependent on your industry and job. The easiest situation like this I experienced was when I did consulting work for which the customer paid. I was able to show exactly how much billings I brought in, and that I took home far too little a portion of that money (I think I billed over $400k and earned under a hundred fully loaded).

Your doing work as a part of the job that meant that the company didn't have to bring in external consultants could easily be viewed as just being part of your job. If you implemented a product, did your company save money as a result of using the product? Is the product something your company can sell or otherwise use to generate revenue?

Think about the full benefit you bring your employer, and how that compares to your full package of salary and benefits and taxes. If you don't contribute to revenue generation then you are expense and need to work really hard to justify your job, let alone a $20k raise. It can be done just recognize the challenge and step up to it.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Ultimate Mango posted:

This can be somewhat of a tricky question and can be very dependent on your industry and job. The easiest situation like this I experienced was when I did consulting work for which the customer paid. I was able to show exactly how much billings I brought in, and that I took home far too little a portion of that money (I think I billed over $400k and earned under a hundred fully loaded).

Your doing work as a part of the job that meant that the company didn't have to bring in external consultants could easily be viewed as just being part of your job. If you implemented a product, did your company save money as a result of using the product? Is the product something your company can sell or otherwise use to generate revenue?

Think about the full benefit you bring your employer, and how that compares to your full package of salary and benefits and taxes. If you don't contribute to revenue generation then you are expense and need to work really hard to justify your job, let alone a $20k raise. It can be done just recognize the challenge and step up to it.
Adding on to this, from your company's perspective it's not just "you" who did the job. They had to find the client, build the relationship with the client, and sell the client on the services. You might have done the actual work, but from the company's perspective you're one of dozens of engineers who "could" have done the work they positioned and sold. Unless you're truly amazing, your "talents" are somewhat fungible.

If you implemented something yourself which the vendor said would take $xx,000 for their services team to implement, then consider getting a job with that vendor, because your company will just say that you configured a product they bought and paid for, which is part of your job.

Which leaves you with a few options, number one of which is demanding the wages of "professional services" types in your field. There's no shame in this and good services types get paid a great salary at all vendors.

The second is to get into sales itself, where you essentially translate into English what the services guys will be doing for clients, and thinking more strategically. Career path-wise, implementations themselves are operational and tactical at best.

Understanding the reasoning behind an implementation, the strategy behind it, and its competitive advantage is what will get you positions and money beyond "senior implementation guy".

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ProFootballGuy posted:

Adding on to this, from your company's perspective it's not just "you" who did the job. They had to find the client, build the relationship with the client, and sell the client on the services. You might have done the actual work, but from the company's perspective you're one of dozens of engineers who "could" have done the work they positioned and sold. Unless you're truly amazing, your "talents" are somewhat fungible.
Adding to this, they also trained the employee in question, provided support staff, and overhead.

Going to the boss and saying "I did it all and I deserve to be paid more" is more than likely not going to have a whole lot of traction.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Adding to this, they also trained the employee in question, provided support staff, and overhead.

Going to the boss and saying "I did it all and I deserve to be paid more" is more than likely not going to have a whole lot of traction.

... but document what you did, discuss it in reviews, and weave it into a larger case for a raise when you get the chance.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Dik Hz posted:

Yup. In my opinion, angling for raises and promotions internally is a losing game anyway. It'll get you a marginal raise at best, since management/operations is most concerned with running a streamlined, cost-effective organization. They're looking for excuses as to why they shouldn't give you a raise, and they'll find all of them, tarnishing your image.

Write down your accomplishments, put them into your resume, and find a position externally if you're looking to move up. It'll save you a lot of grief.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

How big is the company?

I work for a small business and our review process is deliberate and designed to spur growth. The owners are really pretty transparent about goals/needs and raise possibilities are clearly defined for those that ask. Instead of trying to backtrack and figure out your perceived worth, you may consider simply asking how you could be more cost effective for the company. Small businesses in my experience welcome this sort of initiative and you can probably set up a goal based raise structure if you can identify some new demands and meet them within a certain time frame.

I wouldn't try this with a bigger business, but I couldn't glean what size business your context was.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Generally speaking, when is it appropriate to ask for a raise? My last raise was in January, but I didn't ask for it. I was thinking of giving it a shot come July.

I'm a technical writer at a manufacturing company. I make an hourly wage. I have a B.A., and this is my first job since graduating where I've had a chance to use it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BossRighteous posted:

How big is the company?

I work for a small business and our review process is deliberate and designed to spur growth. The owners are really pretty transparent about goals/needs and raise possibilities are clearly defined for those that ask. Instead of trying to backtrack and figure out your perceived worth, you may consider simply asking how you could be more cost effective for the company. Small businesses in my experience welcome this sort of initiative and you can probably set up a goal based raise structure if you can identify some new demands and meet them within a certain time frame.
Its a small company (around 50 people). I should point out that what I did would be considered outside the scope of my responsibilities. I could've easily said that it wasn't achievable. I don't expect $20k, but I was just wondering if there are any sort of guidance for this sort of thing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ProFootballGuy posted:

If you implemented something yourself which the vendor said would take $xx,000 for their services team to implement, then consider getting a job with that vendor, because your company will just say that you configured a product they bought and paid for, which is part of your job.

Which leaves you with a few options, number one of which is demanding the wages of "professional services" types in your field. There's no shame in this and good services types get paid a great salary at all vendors.

The second is to get into sales itself, where you essentially translate into English what the services guys will be doing for clients, and thinking more strategically. Career path-wise, implementations themselves are operational and tactical at best.

Understanding the reasoning behind an implementation, the strategy behind it, and its competitive advantage is what will get you positions and money beyond "senior implementation guy".

This describes my early career path pretty well actually, and I didn't even key on it from the original question. I helped implement a piece of software for my employer. I did a pretty good job and took to it naturally, and that very quickly turned into a professional services/consulting gig (but not for the software vendor but a reseller/implementor more local to where I lived). Professional Services and Consulting did very well for me.

Ragingsheep posted:

Its a small company (around 50 people). I should point out that what I did would be considered outside the scope of my responsibilities. I could've easily said that it wasn't achievable. I don't expect $20k, but I was just wondering if there are any sort of guidance for this sort of thing.

Document it as one of your achievements but don't expect anything.

Raimundus posted:

Generally speaking, when is it appropriate to ask for a raise? My last raise was in January, but I didn't ask for it. I was thinking of giving it a shot come July.

I'm a technical writer at a manufacturing company. I make an hourly wage. I have a B.A., and this is my first job since graduating where I've had a chance to use it.

People where I work don't even get raises yearly, heck for some it has been 4-5 years. Seriously. If they do regular raises where you work, go on that schedule. If I just got a raise in January I would still be thankful in December.

I'm sure there are people who get raises every six months, so you might be in a different situation.

As for when it is appropriate: when you are clearly making a contribution to the business above the level and/or pay grade is a pretty good time.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

People where I work don't even get raises yearly, heck for some it has been 4-5 years. Seriously. If they do regular raises where you work, go on that schedule. If I just got a raise in January I would still be thankful in December.

I'm sure there are people who get raises every six months, so you might be in a different situation.

As for when it is appropriate: when you are clearly making a contribution to the business above the level and/or pay grade is a pretty good time.

I have absolutely no idea when other folks get raises. I've technically been contracting for the old guy who owns the company since January, so I don't know who to ask about pay precedents.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this could lead to a different career path, but it might. My boss of two months (he "recruited" me from another team) is jumping ship to a smaller, but growing, and less TPS company. In our last conversation, he said that he'd be building the team from scratch, and that he'd miss competent people like me. Now, this wasn't said in once sentence, but I still see it as an opportunity. Any ideas on how to tactfully convey my willingness to go along with him?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
No

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 23, 2019

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Not sure if this could lead to a different career path, but it might. My boss of two months (he "recruited" me from another team) is jumping ship to a smaller, but growing, and less TPS company. In our last conversation, he said that he'd be building the team from scratch, and that he'd miss competent people like me. Now, this wasn't said in once sentence, but I still see it as an opportunity. Any ideas on how to tactfully convey my willingness to go along with him?

Are you on a friendly, first-name basis with him? Then simply ask him what you can do for him at his new company during your next conversation. If you don't expect to just bump into him, invite him to lunch.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raimundus posted:

Are you on a friendly, first-name basis with him? Then simply ask him what you can do for him at his new company during your next conversation. If you don't expect to just bump into him, invite him to lunch.

We are, and he's been pretty open in sharing his frustrations after the announcement, so I think this part is good. Unfortunately, we're at different locations so there's 0% chance of just bumping into him, or even going for lunch, really. Still, we're scheduled to have at least one last call before he leaves, so that would probably be the last chance. It would be worth a try, at least, as I doubt he'd get pissed off and fire me as his last decision before leaving :)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

We are, and he's been pretty open in sharing his frustrations after the announcement, so I think this part is good. Unfortunately, we're at different locations so there's 0% chance of just bumping into him, or even going for lunch, really. Still, we're scheduled to have at least one last call before he leaves, so that would probably be the last chance. It would be worth a try, at least, as I doubt he'd get pissed off and fire me as his last decision before leaving :)

Unless you totally misread the interaction you described, he was opening the door for you to have the conversation. Just as he said he would people like you, you can say something like you will miss working for him, and would be open to future possibilities to work together in the future.

If your relationship with him is good enough, just straight up have the conversation 'is there room for me on your new team?'

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

25 year old trying to decide between a leadership role of individual contributors, management and consulting. Currently, I'm at a great masters program for a social science, but I'm learning less hard skills than I initially hoped for. Essentially the only hard skills I've learned so far are Statistics and G.I.S. At the school I have the opportunity to go for a dual degree of Masters of Urban Planning and M.B.A which would be completed in 3 years total (2.5 to go!). The regular urban planning program will be completed in 1.5 years. A couple of my professors have strongly recommended I pursue the dual degree opportunity. The urban planning program is highly ranked, but the business school not so much. At my last employment I took an active (unpaid and beyond listed responsibilities) in educating new hires. I excelled at my old job and my supervisors loved me. While pursuing my studies, I now have a part time job as a middle school teacher. I'm going to join the local toastmasters chapter (thanks to this thread!).

I'm terribly naive at the nuanced differences between leadership, management and consulting. I have the definitions from the programs website, but I'd love to hear this threads real world interpretations/anecdotes. Urban planning is fun, but there are a few paths that lead to relatively early dead ends. For instance, I don't want to be "the g.i.s." guy, because that could pigeonhole me early and often.

Leadership: This can mean many things to many people, and has the bonus of being rather contextual. In the military a Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) could be viewed as a position of leadership. You are right in that you can be an Individual Contributor with Leadership but no management. A guy on my team used to have this at the bottom of his email, and is totally relevant: "Leadership is a position of Responsibility, not Authority."

Management: You are responsible for, accountable for, and have authority over a team. You make decisions about hiring and firing (in most cases at least, and the latter usually involves HR). Management requires a completely new and additional set of skills from being an individual contributor on the team you manage. If you are getting an MBA, you might be getting some of those skills, or you might not. There are many, many bad managers out there. Don't be one of them. Learn the craft of management and seek to be the best boss your employees have ever had. That was my goal becoming a manager, and it has served me well, creating a very loyal team who is generally happy and will do crazy hard work if needed even without being asked.

Consulting: Clients pay you to either tell them what to do or do things for them. I have done both sorts, and it can be fun and rewarding and challenging and also drive you batshit insane. Until you are a credible expert in your field, expect to be chasing billable hours doing work for clients who don't care about what you have to say and just want to do whatever task they are paying $250 and hour for you to do. If you can get enough experience and make a name for yourself, then you can actually do higher level consulting and guidance and get brought in to really make changes for a client and tell them all the ways they have been doing things wrong and how to fix it. Perhaps the holy grail here is to become a 'Management Consultant.' I haven't met one in Urban Planning, doesn't mean they don't exist though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

In a situation other than at your current job with other people around (or using work email) tell him straight up that you would be interested in a job. If you don't feel like being that totally direct then something more like "I'd love to learn more about what they are doing over there" would still get your point across.

If you won't see him and you don't have his personal email/phone number there's nothing wrong with using work email to ask for his personal contact info to "keep in touch".

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 29, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Unless you totally misread the interaction you described, he was opening the door for you to have the conversation. Just as he said he would people like you, you can say something like you will miss working for him, and would be open to future possibilities to work together in the future.

If your relationship with him is good enough, just straight up have the conversation 'is there room for me on your new team?'

Leadership: This can mean many things to many people, and has the bonus of being rather contextual. In the military a Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) could be viewed as a position of leadership. You are right in that you can be an Individual Contributor with Leadership but no management. A guy on my team used to have this at the bottom of his email, and is totally relevant: "Leadership is a position of Responsibility, not Authority."

Management: You are responsible for, accountable for, and have authority over a team. You make decisions about hiring and firing (in most cases at least, and the latter usually involves HR). Management requires a completely new and additional set of skills from being an individual contributor on the team you manage. If you are getting an MBA, you might be getting some of those skills, or you might not. There are many, many bad managers out there. Don't be one of them. Learn the craft of management and seek to be the best boss your employees have ever had. That was my goal becoming a manager, and it has served me well, creating a very loyal team who is generally happy and will do crazy hard work if needed even without being asked.

Consulting: Clients pay you to either tell them what to do or do things for them. I have done both sorts, and it can be fun and rewarding and challenging and also drive you batshit insane. Until you are a credible expert in your field, expect to be chasing billable hours doing work for clients who don't care about what you have to say and just want to do whatever task they are paying $250 and hour for you to do. If you can get enough experience and make a name for yourself, then you can actually do higher level consulting and guidance and get brought in to really make changes for a client and tell them all the ways they have been doing things wrong and how to fix it. Perhaps the holy grail here is to become a 'Management Consultant.' I haven't met one in Urban Planning, doesn't mean they don't exist though.

Thank you for this clarification! I'm still in the process of mapping my career out. It seems certain that management has the highest expected value in earning potential. Although management consultant sounds interesting if it's out there in my field. I'll research more!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Consulting can also bring in big bucks and can in the right circumstance provide a path to management.
Since you are still planning, make sure you plan on being flexible! No sense on setting a plan in stone just now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
No

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 23, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Get the MBA. I have met many people in many fields who wished they had an MBA (or were glad they had one) but rare is the person who has said, "Wow I am glad I have <masters degree>, but my MBA sure is useless."
If anything your MBA could translate lots of places that an Urban Planning or other specific maters degree would not.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Can anyone share some advice for internal interviews? A position will be opening soon for the next level of my position (I am a II, position opening is a III) and I have been advised to put in for it. While that makes me feel like a shoe-in for the position, I still want to make sure I don't look like a cock while going through the process.

I will likely be interviewed by people I currently report to or have previously reported to, but I also haven't gone through a formal interview in ~6 years. If I were offered this position it would be my second promotion in under 6 months which scares me a little.

I'm also working on updating my resume to reference more projects/achievements within the organization as the people that will be reviewing it will be familiar with those things.

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask. The whole thing came up fairly quickly and I'm just a little anxious about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

TheDK posted:

Can anyone share some advice for internal interviews? A position will be opening soon for the next level of my position (I am a II, position opening is a III) and I have been advised to put in for it. While that makes me feel like a shoe-in for the position, I still want to make sure I don't look like a cock while going through the process.

I will likely be interviewed by people I currently report to or have previously reported to, but I also haven't gone through a formal interview in ~6 years. If I were offered this position it would be my second promotion in under 6 months which scares me a little.

I'm also working on updating my resume to reference more projects/achievements within the organization as the people that will be reviewing it will be familiar with those things.

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask. The whole thing came up fairly quickly and I'm just a little anxious about it!

Don't be anxious. I've gone through this a couple times. You can never really assume you're a shoe-in since that's foolish but if you were suggested to apply then they might have the position in mind for you. Even if they don't and it's wide open (or they have someone else in mind for it) putting in a good performance now will help down the road. Treat it like a real interview. You have a shared vocab with the interviewers because they know the work but try to find some ways to surprise them with aspects of your work that they don't know or impacts you've made that they haven't seen. Have you solved a problem in a way that was too technical to bubble up to management? Find a way to break that down for them in the interview so you get the credit you deserved.

Also, when they ask for examples of something that went wrong or something you could improve, have a great example ready of something that wasn't perfect but also provide the steps you took to solve it for the future to make sure it never happens again. Introspection is a good thing.

And don't be cutthroat. I know that every workplace is different but I talked up a coworker in an interview for a job that we were both going for rather than try to make myself out to be better than them. I don't know if that will always work but in my case I could see that the interviewer was surprised and impressed with the "humility." (I was just being honest and trying to not be a backstabber but the reaction I got told me it was not the expected answer.)