Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This discussion about Quicksilver is the most anyone has ever cared about Quicksilver, ever.

Just replace him in The Avengers with the Black Night or Wonder Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jamesman posted:

We know, but that's like saying Scarlet Witch was already in X-Men 2 because she was listed on Stryker's computer (so was Quicksilver). It was just a cameo to fill the background with.
Kind of like what will happen in Days of Future Past!

I was actually really looking forward to that movie until this bit of pettiness.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Just continue with the spite and replace Quicksilver in Avengers with Buried Alien.

Breaking Bad
May 25, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I agree with the guy a few pages back on suggesting Blade appear in the Avengers Sequel with Snipes reprising the role. :smug::fh:

Sadly I know that will never happen.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Breaking Bad posted:

I agree with the guy a few pages back on suggesting Blade appear in the Avengers Sequel with Snipes reprising the role. :smug::fh:

Sadly I know that will never happen.

Snipes is old and out of shape.

Pato
Mar 15, 2006
Duck

PaganGoatPants posted:

They could just have him ice skate uphill or something.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PaganGoatPants posted:

Hell, even in Blade Trinity they had him wear a baggy coat to hide his weight Steven Seagal style and even then they had to use a double half the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Hell, even in Blade Trinity they had him wear a baggy coat to hide his weight Steven Seagal style and even then they had to use a double half the time.

Part of that was him just not wanting to actually work/no one wanting to deal with him.

He just spent a ton of time in prison, a pity he didn't use the time to get in shape.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Why exactly can't fox and marvel come to an agreement anyways? Wouldn't be it a good idea to do that and be profitable on both sides?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pillowpants posted:

Why exactly can't fox and marvel come to an agreement anyways? Wouldn't be it a good idea to do that and be profitable on both sides?

That would involve some kind of division of profits. Can't have that, now can we?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure there are still lawsuits being filed over Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Just imagine what would happen if they tried to bring Wolverine and Spider-man into the Avengers films.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

Comic book movies are already hugely profitable because they have grabbed the attention of the general public, not nerds like us. Anyone who was going to see Avengers saw it, and it was one of the biggest movies ever. If Spider-Man and wolverine were in it, nerds would be excited but I don't know if it would have translated to much more money overall, and Disney/Sony/fox probably feel like they don't have much to gain by giving up any leverage in what stakes they've carved out in the superhero game.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

It might be profitable on both sides, but "both of us make some money" is generally speaking less preferable to businesses than "gently caress you, got mine".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Award for the best comic book movie set photo last week:

Runner-up: Peter Dinklage with amazing mustache.

Winner: Paul Giamatti having a lot of fun.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rumors are circulating that Dinklage may be playing Bolivar Trask in Days of Future Past, as he is heavily associated with that storyline and the Sentinels.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Not that it matters, but wasn't Trask already in X-Men 3? I think he was played by Bill Duke.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The more we pretend that X-Men 3 didn't happen the more it didn't happen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Officer Farva posted:

Not that it matters, but wasn't Trask already in X-Men 3? I think he was played by Bill Duke.

Emma Frost was in Wolverine: Origins and in First Class so I think its safe to say that Fox don't give a gently caress about continuity (not that necessarily is a bad thing).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mind the walrus posted:

The more we pretend that X-Men 3 didn't happen the more it didn't happen.

It's one of the best of the X-Men films though...great action scenes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

jivjov posted:

"One of the best of the X-Men films" is really damning with faint praise considering only one of the X-Men films was much good at all (and really, X3 is disappointing even by those standards).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jivjov posted:

That CalorieMate has poisoned your brain friend.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mind the walrus posted:

They really are vile foodstuffs...quite filling though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Try watching 1 now. with Wolverine Orgins in the mix, he's not off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, X-men 1 has not aged particularly well, in my opinion.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

X1 has definite flaws, but the Wolverine/Rogue stuff alone puts it above X3. But like I said, X2 is the only one that's wholly satisfying so "one of the best X-Men movies" and "one of the crappy X-Men movies" are delightfully synonymous.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Darko posted:

My favourite bit of 1 was everything before wolverine and rogue arrived at the x-men mansion. I want a whole film of Mutant racism roadtrip.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Darko posted:

Wouldn't or couldn't deny that, although I'd disagree with Origins being on the same level of quality. Really there are three obvious tiers:

Top:
X2
First Class

Middle:
X1-- almost entirely for the first half

Low:
The Last Stand
Wolverine Origins

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I would like to offer that X-men probably has the highest concentration of Professor X and Magneto being amazing. Professor X is missing for a large chunk of the latter two films, and the third one wasn't too kind to them in terms of characterization.

I'd argue that there wasn't a scene in film that really captured the absurd gravitas and morality of superheroes as much as this scene until this scene.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I would like to offer that X-men probably has the highest concentration of Professor X and Magneto being amazing. Professor X is missing for a large chunk of the latter two films, and the third one wasn't too kind to them in terms of characterization.

I'd argue that there wasn't a scene in film that really captured the absurd gravitas and morality of superheroes as much as this scene until this scene.

This is all also true. I love all of Ian McKellan's line deliveries in the first one, particularly "I will bring you hope" and "Because there is no land of peace." Dude rules.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Darko posted:

I enjoy The Last Stand a little bit more every time I catch it on TV. It's a bad good time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DNS posted:

I enjoy The Last Stand a little bit more every time I catch it on TV. It's a bad good time.

I've said this before, but The Last Stand kind of works because Brett Ratner is aping the work of Singer and Newton Thomas Sigel so hard that it hurts. Because that's what Ratner does: He imitates someone else's style. The Family Man is him totally trying (and failing) to be Capra. Red Dragon is totally ripping off how Jonathan Demme shot The Silence of the Lambs. Tower Heist is him trying to do a Steven Soderbergh Ocean's Whatever heist film. So on and so forth.

So stylistically, The Last Stand works, generally speaking (Famke Janssen's makeup and costuming is beyond terrible). Plot- and structure-wise, it's a complete disaster.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Timby posted:

I've said this before, but The Last Stand kind of works because Brett Ratner is aping the work of Singer and Newton Thomas Sigel so hard that it hurts. Because that's what Ratner does: He imitates someone else's style. The Family Man is him totally trying (and failing) to be Capra. Red Dragon is totally ripping off how Jonathan Demme shot The Silence of the Lambs. Tower Heist is him trying to do a Steven Soderbergh Ocean's Whatever heist film. So on and so forth.

So stylistically, The Last Stand works, generally speaking (Famke Janssen's makeup and costuming is beyond terrible). Plot- and structure-wise, it's a complete disaster.

Are you saying that The Last Stand works, generally speaking, because Brett Ratner is a hack?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you saying that The Last Stand works, generally speaking, because Brett Ratner is a hack?

The style works. In terms of its look and feel, it's congruent with Singer's films. Its script is a disaster.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't find X-Men : First Class as good as X Men 2 simply because I hate all of the actors except the ones playing Magneto and Xavier , oh and Kevin Bacon. Everyone else is just loving terrible. X2 at least had some decent acting. Origins to me was just Blah material, I mean X2 had way more action and a interesting plot. You actually got to see mutants use their ability. Plus, Nightcrawler.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't necessarily think that Singer's style really complimented the narrative of the third film, and the fact that it was a cheap duplicate of his style doesn't really help.

The thing about Bryan Singer that I gleam from his superhero work is that he's really great at capturing the majesty of characters. Superman saving the airplane, Nightcrawler assaulting the White House, Magneto escaping prison, Pyro attacking the cops, these are all things which do a great job of showing off what these characters are capable of in ways that can be inspiring or terrifying, but always interesting. I think Singer does a great job at giving the audience a sense of awe towards the superhuman.

The thing about those scenes is that they focus on one character. Even the secret service and cops in Nightcrawler and Pyro's respective scenes are just props for the heroes to show off their powers. Singer isn't really great when it comes to actual combat between one or more characters. At the very least, he's not able to really transfer that majesty that he otherwise shows in his single character focused action scene. Instead we really just get character spinning around and doing acrobatics and hitting each other with some wire work.

The story that Last Stand presented was the war which was promised in the first film. In terms of majestic scenes in which the audience looks up at the screen in wonder of the impossible, the closest thing we receive is the moving of the Golden Gate which isn't really clever, necessary to the plot, and just coasts on the concept itself. Magneto ripping the iron out of the guard is something that is amazing to look at because it's a clever idea which is beautifully presented. The moving of the Golden Gate is just a very large landmark being moved. It's not particularly well-done in the film, it's just kind of cool.

Then we get the battle, and it's just people jumping really high for the most part. We get a climatic battle between humans, mutants, and other mutants, and it's incredibly boring to watch. I don't think Singer would have done a lot better because his combat is just a means to an end, but Singer would have done something else which would have most likely involved Asteroid M. And it would have been really cool. Singer would have done something that he was proud of and that fit his strengths.

Instead Ratner tries to apply Singer's style to something not befitting of that style. There are other directors who could have taken X-men 3 under the same conditions and would have most likely still made a stupid movie, but maybe a stupid movie in which we all fondly remember the part in which all the mutants fight each other. The movie's only chance at salvation would have been someone bringing their own voice and style to the turd. Aping Singer was a misstep.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The final battle in The Last Stand is among the most disappointing movie experiences for me. I guess I had the entire movie to prepare myself for a climax that would suck, but the moment when the mutant thugs rushed the X-Men and the painful minutes that followed were awful beyond expectations. I guess they were going for a kind of gang wars-scenario, but at that point I would have preferred if they just re-shot the final battle from The Wanderes 1:1.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I never understood why Magneto was the one to move the bridge. Phoenix is right there and has done almost nothing the entire movie, what better way to show off the true scope of her power than by having her move an entire bridge effortlessly? But instead they have Magneto do it and Phoenix just stands around for the entire battle. A small issue, I know, but it seems to sum up my issues with that movie.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The bigger issue being why not just drop the bridge on the folks you want dead.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Last Stand had the best score of any of the XMen movies, which raises its value in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Darko posted:

The Last Stand had the best score of any of the XMen movies, which raises its value in itself.

God, I hate that movie, but that doesn't change the fact that you're right. The score is fantastic. Such a waste.

• Locked thread