Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

I vaguely remember playing a Japanese/Samurai-themed Diablo clone in the late 90s/early 00s on the PC, but I can't recall any details. Any help? I imagine there aren't many of that specific sort.

Well, Battle Realms sounds about right, though that was an RTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I vaguely remember playing a Japanese/Samurai-themed Diablo clone in the late 90s/early 00s on the PC, but I can't recall any details. Any help? I imagine there aren't many of that specific sort.

Sounds like Throne of Darkness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwUf9uWJlCE

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

gradenko_2000 posted:

maybe throne of darkness, prince of qin, or blade and sword?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This was exactly it! Thanks!

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
A arcade puzzle game in the early 90 that featured small dino and cavemen that are trying to eat them. I think you made the dinos run away from the cavemen. Eggs might have been involved.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mr Cynicism posted:

A arcade puzzle game in the early 90 that featured small dino and cavemen that are trying to eat them. I think you made the dinos run away from the cavemen. Eggs might have been involved.

Sounds like Trog.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mr Cynicism posted:

Trog?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyK3MUXJ0A8

Edit: beaten

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Yes that's the one. Thank you.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Im not sure if I dreamed this or not but is there a game where you are essentially looking at a character through CCTV cameras and you can't directly interact with them but instead you have to flick the lights on and off to direct them to the right rooms and stuff?

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Im not sure if I dreamed this or not but is there a game where you are essentially looking at a character through CCTV cameras and you can't directly interact with them but instead you have to flick the lights on and off to direct them to the right rooms and stuff?

It's a real game, Experiment/Experience 112.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I remember an old old game, a lovely doom clone that was basically some sort of 'gross out' game. I can't remember the title, but I remember that one of the weapons was deoderant, either sprayed or flung at enemies. It was the theme of the game, it was really 'gross' and 'dirty' and 'filthy'.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

E-Tank posted:

I remember an old old game, a lovely doom clone that was basically some sort of 'gross out' game. I can't remember the title, but I remember that one of the weapons was deoderant, either sprayed or flung at enemies. It was the theme of the game, it was really 'gross' and 'dirty' and 'filthy'.

Soldier of Fortune? eh, maybe that's not it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

enojy posted:

Soldier of Fortune? eh, maybe that's not it.

No, it was weird. The enemies were all gross looking things and everything was meant to be 'disgusting'.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Could it be PO'ed for the 3DO and PS1? I've never played so I don't know if it has a deodorant weapon, but these goatse enemies certainly meet the gross-out requirements.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

E-Tank posted:

You might be thinking of Blood, it had an aerosol can as a weapon/flamethrower. Also it is awesome.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Unfortunately I don't believe so. It was like some sort of...budget type thing. I seem to recall the loading messages were basically a vending machine talking about your kinds of weapons, including various disgusting things thrown at enemies, but the thing that stuck out in my mind was the Deoderant, that I believe you literally threw at enemies.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

E-Tank posted:

Unfortunately I don't believe so. It was like some sort of...budget type thing. I seem to recall the loading messages were basically a vending machine talking about your kinds of weapons, including various disgusting things thrown at enemies, but the thing that stuck out in my mind was the Deoderant, that I believe you literally threw at enemies.

I can't recall the deodorant, but I do remember this weird thing called H.U.R.L. where the enemies were animals that threw mud and eggs and gunk at you. Grodiness was treated as damage.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

scamtank posted:

I can't recall the deodorant, but I do remember this weird thing called H.U.R.L. where the enemies were animals that threw mud and eggs and gunk at you. Grodiness was treated as damage.

Yup, that was it, even has the vending machines. Thanks

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
I need help with two horror games.

The first is a flash game with a foreign word name. You play as the daughter in a family and you're treated badly. At one point the family dies in a murder-suicide and you have to put their personalities back into their bodies with a computer. It's a really basic pixel graphics tile-based game.

The second is an indie downloadable game that is basically the story of Bluebeard. It's first-person and has graphics that are more basic than Minecraft. If you're aware of the game Imscared, it looks just like that. It might have been made for a game jam.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Dinosaur Satan posted:

The first is a flash game with a foreign word name. You play as the daughter in a family and you're treated badly. At one point the family dies in a murder-suicide and you have to put their personalities back into their bodies with a computer.

Can't say I'm familiar with the second, but this one sounds like Oiche Mhaith.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dinosaur Satan posted:

The second is an indie downloadable game that is basically the story of Bluebeard. It's first-person and has graphics that are more basic than Minecraft. If you're aware of the game Imscared, it looks just like that. It might have been made for a game jam.

Judith

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I'm trying to remember the name of a not well-known PS2 game. It was a third person shooter where you could play as different members of a squad, and there were a ton of guns to choose from. The graphics used a lot of thick outlines. From what I remember it wasn't that great of a game, but I still remember it fondly. I think it had either Swat or Squad somewhere in the name. Anyone know this?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Was it Freedom Force?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Could be X-Squad, PS2 launch game.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Crackmaster posted:

Can't say I'm familiar with the second, but this one sounds like Oiche Mhaith.

Thanks so much! And of course it turns out they're made by the same people.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

This was a platformer, CGA graphics. I only remember the starting level, as the game was rock hard, but you start by having your spaceship crash into the ground, maybe offscreen to the left, where you'll walk out from and start your standard shooty platformer routine on a rocky surface. This is all I remember from the game, but I distinctly remember the box art, which had a guy that looked uncannily like Simon Belmont from Captain N, some green/grey goblin/alien/monster guy looking menacingly at him, with some kind of metal space city or station behind them and MAYBE a pink/purple background.

It's been bothering me for years on end, as I spent an entire night getting that bloody floppy to work on my old 286!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

THE BAR posted:

This was a platformer, CGA graphics. I only remember the starting level, as the game was rock hard, but you start by having your spaceship crash into the ground, maybe offscreen to the left, where you'll walk out from and start your standard shooty platformer routine on a rocky surface. This is all I remember from the game, but I distinctly remember the box art, which had a guy that looked uncannily like Simon Belmont from Captain N, some green/grey goblin/alien/monster guy looking menacingly at him, with some kind of metal space city or station behind them and MAYBE a pink/purple background.

It's been bothering me for years on end, as I spent an entire night getting that bloody floppy to work on my old 286!

It wasn't one of the first two Duke Nukems was it? They were shooter/platformers back then, and Duke Nukem 2 started with his spacecraft being shot down. (Which is why Duke Nukem 3D starts with "Those bastards shot down my ride again!")

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nah, it wasn't one of those, trust me. Besides, it was CGA, pink, cyan and all that.

And Duke 2 starts with you in prison after being beamed away from an interview by Oprah, you do get shot down in Duke 3D, but not in the prequels. It's "drat, those alien bastards gonna pay for shooting up my ride!"

The ship you get shot down in in Duke 3D is the one you escape from the enemy mothership with in Duke 2. :eng101:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 27, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There was a scrolling on-rails shooter for the old Master System console - you played a green skinned cyborg dude and would shoot more dudes with your gun. Its first level was set in a junkyard and you'd be fighting robots, ending with two giant ED-209 style bosses. The level after that had you fighting a giant mechanical head, etc etc. The music is stuck in my head but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

THE BAR posted:

This sounds like Freddy Hardest, but I don't know if it had an MSDOS version.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Prenton posted:

This sounds like Freddy Hardest, but I don't know if it had an MSDOS version.

Holy crap, that's it! And yeah, there is one and it's in CGA, per courtesy of YouTube. Is this a well known game? I've never heard of anyone else owning it, but you sure came up with it fast with such crappy instructions! Thanks a bunch!

My word, it looks awful, and not even hard at all, haha!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 27, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

There was a scrolling on-rails shooter for the old Master System console - you played a green skinned cyborg dude and would shoot more dudes with your gun. Its first level was set in a junkyard and you'd be fighting robots, ending with two giant ED-209 style bosses. The level after that had you fighting a giant mechanical head, etc etc. The music is stuck in my head but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.

I'm familiar with most of Master System and I can't think of a game like this. This will sound dumb but it wouldn't happen to be Terminator, would it? Kyle Reese wears a weird Doom-guy green suit in the first few levels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I'm familiar with most of Master System and I can't think of a game like this. This will sound dumb but it wouldn't happen to be Terminator, would it? Kyle Reese wears a weird Doom-guy green suit in the first few levels.

No, it wasn't Terminator unfortunately. :(

In a pinch it mightn have been on the Genesis/Megadrive instead, but I can't for the life of me remember properly. It was definitely pre-PSX era though. Another detail I just remembered is that the game over screen was a really dramatic comic book style multi-panel thing that showed your character collapsing.

vvvv - No, it wasn't. Right type of game though!

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 27, 2013

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Was it Body Count for the Mega Drive II/Genesis? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noLni6y-_1k

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

THE BAR posted:

Holy crap, that's it! And yeah, there is one and it's in CGA, per courtesy of YouTube. Is this a well known game? I've never heard of anyone else owning it, but you sure came up with it fast with such crappy instructions!

I guess the C64 version was pretty well known as Commodore Format gave it away on one of their covertapes ( which is how I knew it ). This one, in fact.

It's memorably shite, yes.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
PC game, pretty sure I played this on my parent's 100MHz 486 if that helps date it. It was a star wars game, the only thing I remember is at the beginning of the game, you would fly an x-wing (I think) through a canyon as a "training exercise".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Colonel Sanders posted:

PC game, pretty sure I played this on my parent's 100MHz 486 if that helps date it. It was a star wars game, the only thing I remember is at the beginning of the game, you would fly an x-wing (I think) through a canyon as a "training exercise".

That's Rebel Assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=359qyiXskCE

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

CitrusFrog posted:

My girlfriend(!) showed me a werewolves vs. humans multiplayer deathmatch game a while back but neither of us can remember the name of it and I can't seem to find it on Steam at all. All I can remember is that it looked similar to Vampires vs. Humans and the other classic HL1/2 deathmatch games and that the werewolves could infect the human players rather than outright butchering them to turn them into werewolves too.

I think this is Wolfteam

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Colonel Sanders posted:

That or Rogue Squadron, although I don't know if a 486 was up to scratch for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ywc79Iu5E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

No, it wasn't Terminator unfortunately. :(

In a pinch it mightn have been on the Genesis/Megadrive instead, but I can't for the life of me remember properly. It was definitely pre-PSX era though. Another detail I just remembered is that the game over screen was a really dramatic comic book style multi-panel thing that showed your character collapsing.

vvvv - No, it wasn't. Right type of game though!

This sounds exactly like the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis gun-game version of Terminator 2: Judgement Day. It could be played with the 'Menacer' light gun. First level was set in post-apocalyptic 'junkyard' with 2x hunter-killer big bot bosses. Later levels involved shooting the T-1000's face in the eyes.

edit: I don't have the bandwidth to check right now, but I think I remember reading a review of a master system port in which the boss for the first level (possibly third, some accusation of repetition) was 2x tracked boss robots. This was an issue for the reviewer because the arcade game/mega drive version only had one?

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 28, 2013