Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Recently picked up the third Rivers of London book, it's just as good as the others. Plus, I'm pretty sure it had a Dresden Files reference when they mention a really good craft beer that has to be imported from the States (he either calls it 'Mac's' or mentions it has to come in from Chicago, can't remember). I like that we're slowly seeing more and more of the villain, and things with him just keep getting worse and worse.

As for Butcherchat, I'm still disappointed he went with the steampunk setting instead of the US Marshals In Space idea. Still, it definitely sounds cool and may well be the first steampunk books I actually read :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah it's definitely a Dresden shout out, Peter takes one sip and decides it should have been served at room temperature.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Polaron posted:

As for Butcherchat, I'm still disappointed he went with the steampunk setting instead of the US Marshals In Space idea. Still, it definitely sounds cool and may well be the first steampunk books I actually read :v:

I am too, but I felt the same way about Alera, and aside from a few rough bits, Alera turned out ok.

I'll give this spire series the same shot.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Polaron posted:

On the other hand: Housecat Mafia.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

404GoonNotFound posted:

On the other hand: Housecat Mafia.

Conceptually, cat mafia is perfect, because cats are murderous assholes even when they're domesticated.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
In practice, it also works out well, as Lackadaisy proves.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Polaron posted:

Didn't Jim say he hit a wall with the Marshals in space thing and decided to move on to something else (steampunk, as it turns out)?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ornamented Death posted:

Didn't Jim say he hit a wall with the Marshals in space thing and decided to move on to something else (steampunk, as it turns out)?

No idea. My knowledge of Space Marshals went like this: someone posted an interview with him in either this thread or the last one with him talking about the series, and then later on someone posted him talking about how he's writing the steampunk series. Beyond that I am clueless.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ConfusedUs posted:

Conceptually, cat mafia is perfect, because cats are murderous assholes even when they're domesticated.

Did I say it was a bad thing? The only thing better was if he somehow worked them into the Space Marshals story.

Housecat Space Pirates. God help us all...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I am excited for the new series it reminds me of Planescape: Torment for some reason.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Since the Iron Druid gets brought up a lot, Kevin Hearne is giving away 5 early released signed copies of Hunted if you take a picture of a beer and a book. It must be beer, no wine or cocktails, the label of the beer must be visible, and the cover of the book must be visible. Nothing Iron Druid-related can be in the picture or you get disqualified. Check out the full details here: http://kevinhearne.com/still-life-with-beer-and-book

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

As always happens when i check this thread, I just bought a ton of new books. I decided to start with London Falling, and wow...I think I may have set myself up for disappointment with the rest. I'm halfway through and the book is spectacular. I'd love to see Urban Horror become a genre, because this is what I've been looking for in Urban Fantasy. Not that I don't love Dresden, it is still my favorite UF series by a long shot, but the "Wizard/druid who is also a ________ in the modern world!!!" thing gets old after the 4th or 5th series. I'm also liking the lack of awkwardly written sex scenes.

I'm reading Midnight Riot next, and I really hope it is as good as people are saying.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I told you guys to read London Falling :colbert:

I was right :getin:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm not generally a fan of the modern fantasy genre, but Dresden Files convinced me to give other stuff a shot. The only things I've really been a fan of so far are Dresden Files, Rivers of London, and London Falling.

Rivers of London is pretty great, and is more similar to Dresden than London Falling is. Midnight Riot is very much "Wizard who is also a modern X", but it's got a few good twists on the basic theme, and the magic the protagonist does usually takes a back seat to his cop skills.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

fermun posted:

Since the Iron Druid gets brought up a lot, Kevin Hearne is giving away 5 early released signed copies of Hunted if you take a picture of a beer and a book. It must be beer, no wine or cocktails, the label of the beer must be visible, and the cover of the book must be visible. Nothing Iron Druid-related can be in the picture or you get disqualified. Check out the full details here: http://kevinhearne.com/still-life-with-beer-and-book

I hope he gets trolled with a bunch of pictures of lovely American beers and Romance novels.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

HUMAN FISH posted:

I told you guys to read London Falling :colbert:

I was right :getin:

Honestly, I had read the description from people and didn't think it sounded great, but I was traveling this weekend and was out of stuff to read so I picked it up.

And yeaaaaaaaah, that's a solid book so far. drat. Definitely more horror-esque than fantasy, though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Wade Wilson posted:

I hope he gets trolled with a bunch of pictures of lovely American beers and Romance novels.

Homemade bottles of Mac's and a copy of Writing For Dummies.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What kind of horror? Maybe spoil it so others won't have to read it. I'd appreciate it if you didn't give any names since I want to read it but I'm picky about my horror fiction.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Wade Wilson posted:

Completely unrelated, but does anybody know of any (e)books with a dick on the cover? :allears:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

VanSandman posted:

What kind of horror? Maybe spoil it so others won't have to read it. I'd appreciate it if you didn't give any names since I want to read it but I'm picky about my horror fiction.

PM'd you.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SystemLogoff posted:

Just going to quote my recommendation.

The Black Sun's Daughter

I just finished the first book of this series and it was pretty good. Not great, but there's potential there. At the very least, I'm intrigued enough to grab the second book.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thanks. It's going on the list.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Juuuuuuuuust finished London Falling and it's amazing and I love it and I want more NOW.

That is all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Alright, recommendations have reached critical mass. Buying it now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VanSandman posted:

Alright, recommendations have reached critical mass. Buying it now.

I'm halfway through. London Falling is pretty good.

It's the bastard child of 20 Palaces and Rivers of London.

The first couple chapters are full of nearly impenetrable London slang though. Get past that and it's good stuff.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ConfusedUs posted:

The first couple chapters are full of nearly impenetrable London slang though. Get past that and it's good stuff.

Took me a while to keep the characters straight, but it got easier.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

pseudonordic posted:

Took me a while to keep the characters straight, but it got easier.

That was it exactly for me, actually- those first few chapters kept bouncing between viewpoints before I'd had a chance to differentiate the characters in my head, and it was a nightmare.

Once I had that sorted, the book definitely picked up, and it's remained fairly awesome. (I'm about 2/3 complete.)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

OmniBeer posted:

That was it exactly for me, actually- those first few chapters kept bouncing between viewpoints before I'd had a chance to differentiate the characters in my head, and it was a nightmare.

Once I had that sorted, the book definitely picked up, and it's remained fairly awesome. (I'm about 2/3 complete.)

Quill shouting "You're nicked!" made me think of Gene Hunt from the UK version of Life on Mars. :love:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there an Audiobook of London falling around? couldn't find one on audible when I was looking the other day and I'm somewhat keen to try it out. Sounds like a more horrifying version of Neverwhere and I loving loved neverwhere.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Polaron posted:

Recently picked up the third Rivers of London book, it's just as good as the others. Plus, I'm pretty sure it had a Dresden Files reference when they mention a really good craft beer that has to be imported from the States (he either calls it 'Mac's' or mentions it has to come in from Chicago, can't remember). I like that we're slowly seeing more and more of the villain, and things with him just keep getting worse and worse.

Within the first few page, the Alex Verus series says, "Those of us who do like visitors have to advertise, and it's tricky to find a way of doing it that doesn't make you sound crazy. The majority rely on word of mouth, though younger mages use the Internet. I've even heard of one guy in Chicago who advertises in the phone book under "Wizard," though that's probably an urban legend." The protagonist owns a magic shop.
I kinda did something like this :neckbeard: when I read that.

ConfusedUs posted:

It's the bastard child of 20 Palaces and Rivers of London.

I am so disappointed that there won't be any more 20 palaces books. I really love the characters in it. And I love the surreal feel to it. Also the fact that the main character actually is just kind of a dumb luck kind of guy. It never felt like a deus ex machina kind of thing when he won fights. Since he wasn't trained in magic, he just managed to think of ways of using the series' system of magic that others didn't. Then again, the endings are usually kind of bitter sweet. Sure, he and his boss live, but she gets burned all to hell, he accidentally gets her only friend eaten, and a lot of people die in horrible ways. I was so excited that they were now going to meet the first palace guy, even though we've already met him in the prequel. Also, thanks to all of you in the thread that suggested that series. I'm guessing you are all very disappointed, too.

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 25, 2013

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
It doesn't surprise me that people missed a gem like Twenty Palaces , especially when you consider how terrible most urban fantasy is.

95% of the decent fiction I read comes from the book barn, and I probably wouldn't have found Rivers of London, the Rook, Twenty Palaces, London Falling or pretty much any other good series on my own. Hell, the last time I picked a book based on reviews it turned out to be entirely about werewolf sex.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

As much as I like Twenty Palaces, and I do, I completely understand why it failed as a series.

The first book is frustrating. You, the reader, consistently know less than the protagonist, who himself is largely in the dark. It's a mystery inside a mystery. That's a conceit that takes a drat good writer to pull off, and Conolloy simply dropped the ball.

I firmly believe that the Twenty Palaces prequel book should have been the first book in the series. It should not have come out after the third book. If the prequel had been the first book, the series would be alive and thriving.

The prequel explains so many things that NEED to be explained. The first book is off-putting and it's really hard to build a series when the first book is also the last book that most people read.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ghetto Prince posted:

It doesn't surprise me that people missed a gem like Twenty Palaces , especially when you consider how terrible most urban fantasy is.

95% of the decent fiction I read comes from the book barn, and I probably wouldn't have found Rivers of London, the Rook, Twenty Palaces, London Falling or pretty much any other good series on my own. Hell, the last time I picked a book based on reviews it turned out to be entirely about werewolf sex.

I really think I'm going to start a general Urban Fantasy thread after Jim Butcher's next series gets started. I think we've hit the tipping point where there's enough good urban fantasy that such a thread can sustain itself. And once Jim's next series gets going, I'll be able to make this into the general Jim Butcher thread.

The Rook, Rivers of London, and London Falling are all excellent. Twenty Palaces, The Laundry Files, and the first few Iron Druid books are fun despite their flaws. Sandman Slim, Felix Castor, and Greywalker all have their fans, and are worth discussing even if I don't personally care for them. And there's no reason why we shouldn't lump Neverwhere in this list; it's as much an urban fantasy as anything else, on top of just being really drat good.

That gives us at least 10 different universes to discuss outside of Dresden.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I really think I'm going to start a general Urban Fantasy thread after Jim Butcher's next series gets started. I think we've hit the tipping point where there's enough good urban fantasy that such a thread can sustain itself. And once Jim's next series gets going, I'll be able to make this into the general Jim Butcher thread.

The Rook, Rivers of London, and London Falling are all excellent. Twenty Palaces, The Laundry Files, and the first few Iron Druid books are fun despite their flaws. Sandman Slim, Felix Castor, and Greywalker all have their fans, and are worth discussing even if I don't personally care for them. And there's no reason why we shouldn't lump Neverwhere in this list; it's as much an urban fantasy as anything else, on top of just being really drat good.

That gives us at least 10 different universes to discuss outside of Dresden.

Just don't forget Alex Verus. I don't think I will ever get over the fact that he sometimes literally brute forces a conversation tree. It's amazing that he still manages to challenge the guy.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Most of Simon Green's stuff is at least fun pulp too, though I think I mostly read for how odd and twisted all his throw away characters' concepts are. His work is like entire series of the Troll Market scene from Hellboy II.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Wait a second. They turned neverwhere into books? Did it convert good?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Virigoth posted:

Wait a second. They turned neverwhere into books? Did it convert good?

Wait a second. Neverwhere exists in some form that is not a book? I just checked and I guess it was a TV series at first?

The book is really good. I had no idea it was on TV first. Is the TV series as good as the book?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The book's slightly better. Basically, Neil Gaiman wrote it first as a BBC script, then because there were a few details and scenes that they hadn't been able to shoot the way he wanted due to budget concerns, he rewrote it as a novel. It's not so much a conversion from one to the other as it is the original author just writing a Television Cut and a Novel Cut of the same story.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The book's slightly better. Basically, Neil Gaiman wrote it first as a BBC script, then because there were a few details and scenes that they hadn't been able to shoot the way he wanted due to budget concerns, he rewrote it as a novel. It's not so much a conversion from one to the other as it is the original author just writing a Television Cut and a Novel Cut of the same story.

In other words, it's like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, only completely different.

...which, now that I think about it, makes it even more like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Neverwhere TV show was pretty awesome, I'll have to get the book.

• Locked thread