Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Doh004 posted:

I just bought a huge amount of broccoli rabe and leeks. How can I combine the two to make a super tasty veggie dish to go along with pork belly?

I recently learned an awesome way to do broccoli rabe. Just get a few inches of frying oil up to around 325 or so (right around where you would use it to make some sort of fritter or whatever) and then just dunk your rabe in there for like, seriously 3 or 4 seconds. I just grab a bunch with some long tongs, plunge it in, then pull it out. Be sure the rabe is pretty dry though, otherwise it'll be a grease explosion. The stuff tastes amazing, a bit toasted and perfectly al dente.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I need help figuring out a recipe that I ate at a restaurant in Baton Rouge La, it is called Chicken Delight. The name of the restaurant is Arzis. It's a Greek and Lebanese restaurant. Okay so it is broiled chicken in a mushroom sauce w/ artichokes and sundried tomatoes.

I know the chicken is broiled and then the sauce is applied to it. it usually sits in a bowl. Standard Greek style flavor, similar to Shwarma.
So this is all I know. Chicken is broiled with greek spices almost blackened with Greek Spices similar tasting in flavor to Shwarma but not quiet.

I know they use Mushroom Demiglaze ,but I have never found this. Then the sauce has artichokes and sun dried tomatoes in it. It's creamy but has a hint of something.

Has anyone heard of this recipe? I live in Chicago now so there are zero odds of me eating it again, but it's one of my favorite dishes.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kenning posted:

I recently learned an awesome way to do broccoli rabe. Just get a few inches of frying oil up to around 325 or so (right around where you would use it to make some sort of fritter or whatever) and then just dunk your rabe in there for like, seriously 3 or 4 seconds. I just grab a bunch with some long tongs, plunge it in, then pull it out. Be sure the rabe is pretty dry though, otherwise it'll be a grease explosion. The stuff tastes amazing, a bit toasted and perfectly al dente.

I will have to try that next time, sounds interesting :)

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
What can I do with pork loin that is somewhat different? I have several loins that I need to use. I have stuffed a couple , seared and roasted with pan gravy, ground some for laab. I still have so much. Any ideas?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pound a piece of it out and make schnitzel?

Make kimchi jjigae or dwaejigogi bokkeum?

Slice, butterfly and eat with awesome green stuff?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a cha siu recipe linked in the Chinese food thread, works great with loin.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Hey, quick question. I have a bunch of leftover fresh fruit purée from making smoothies. It's all mixed together, mango and orange and peach and banana. Any idea of a recipe I could throw this in? Thanks y'all

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Hey, quick question. I have a bunch of leftover fresh fruit purée from making smoothies. It's all mixed together, mango and orange and peach and banana. Any idea of a recipe I could throw this in? Thanks y'all

Freeze it in an ice cube tray and use it next time you make smoothies?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ice Cream!

Freeze it. When you want, break up the frozen bits into chucnks, blend it on its own (or maybe add two tablespoons of milk) until smooth, and put a spoonful of peanut butter in it. Ice Cream!

or Pancakes!

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Drifter posted:

Ice Cream!

Freeze it. When you want, break up the frozen bits into chucnks, blend it on its own (or maybe add two tablespoons of milk) until smooth, and put a spoonful of peanut butter in it. Ice Cream!

or Pancakes!

This is great. Thanks for the tip. Also one more question crossed my mind. I know some people use spicy pickle juice for chaser when they're drinking whiskey or things like that. Does anyone know of a recipe that calls for pickle juice as an ingredient? What about as a marinade?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

This is great. Thanks for the tip. Also one more question crossed my mind. I know some people use spicy pickle juice for chaser when they're drinking whiskey or things like that. Does anyone know of a recipe that calls for pickle juice as an ingredient? What about as a marinade?

I may be dumb, but pickle juice is just brine, with extra sugar and poo poo, right? I've brined chicken and pork overnight and it's amazing. It's pretty much (mild)vinegar and salt, so use it in potato stuff, or if it's the gross sweet kind, make ketchup.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

That 'Chik-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich' recipe that was floating around a bit ago used pickle juice to brine the chicken breast. But honestly you could drink it straight instead of something like gatorade too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd think any application asking for vinegar where pickle flavor would pair well would be okay to sub in pickle juice for the vinegar. But that's just an educated guess, I haven't cooked with it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was in the grocery store the other day and was thinking about making chicken stock, and what I would need for my bouquet garni. I realized that tea leaves are an herb, and I began chewing on uses of tea (particularly green tea, but anything really) in some savory, non-East Asian-inspired dishes. I don't think it would be the best with chicken stock, but perhaps with some sort of fish or shellfish stock? After further reflection I'd probably brew separately and add to taste, rather than risk tossing it in with the thyme and bay. In any case, I'd love any suggestions of ways to incorporate tea leaves (brewed or dry or whatever) into something in an unusual way. My buddy suggested a strong sort of tea tincture used in like a vinaigrette for salad or something. Any thoughts would be great.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Salad dressings, maybe barbecue sauce (vinegar-based carolina)? I think I've used it in a few places like slaw recipes...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl4Vz9zVTQk

Phillips has a new blender, and to promote it they made fruits that tasted like other fruits. They made pinholes in fruits and infused them with mush from other fruits. I'm wondering if anyone has info on this process, like what temperature to heat the mush up to and for how long.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm trying to find/come up with a spicy bright slaw to pair with Crock pot "q". any thoughts or comments on the following?

I'm going away from the usually creamy sweet style as I'll have creamy in the mac n cheese and sweet in fresh corn on the cob.

Smitten Kitchen posted:

Tangy Shredded Cabbage Salad

Serves 4

2 cups tightly packed, shredded green cabbage (I've got a bag of broccoli slaw)
1 small serrano chile, (i've got bird chilis)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more as needed
1/4 to 1/2 to 1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds

In a medium bowl, toss together the cabbage, chile, lemon juice, salt and sugar. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You are looking for a well-balanced, sweet and sour taste.

Heat the oil in a small skillet or butter warmer over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the mustard seeds, covering the pan with a lid or splatter screen. When seeds top popping, immediately pour the oil over the cabbage salad and toss well. Let the salad sit for at least 15 minutes before serving, to allow the flavors to blossom.

Serve cold or at room temperature.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Does anyone have any really good, quite easy recipes for chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding and rice pudding? We like to give my son a tiny bit of something sweet after he eats all of his main meal, but I'm not very happy with what's in shop-bought puddings.

On an unrelated note, the other day my wife made an improvised meal with some rigatoni, a meat sauce and a bechamel, baked in the oven like a lasagne. I was fairly sure at the time that this improvised dish is actually a classic, but I don't know if I'm just making it up. Is it a regular Italian meal that she can give a name, or are we stuck with "Rigatoni lasagne thing"?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Scientastic posted:

Does anyone have any really good, quite easy recipes for chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding and rice pudding? We like to give my son a tiny bit of something sweet after he eats all of his main meal, but I'm not very happy with what's in shop-bought puddings.

This is what I use, though with a little less sugar: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-cornstarch-pudding/

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

tarepanda posted:

This is what I use, though with a little less sugar: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-cornstarch-pudding/

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for in terms of simplicity. I want something that my wife can do (she is actually quite a good cook, but has very little faith in her own abilities) with my son running around her legs.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Scientastic posted:

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for in terms of simplicity. I want something that my wife can do (she is actually quite a good cook, but has very little faith in her own abilities) with my son running around her legs.

It's quite easy. I always portion it out into little cups before I toss them in the fridge. The worst part is cleaning the pan.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl4Vz9zVTQk

Phillips has a new blender, and to promote it they made fruits that tasted like other fruits. They made pinholes in fruits and infused them with mush from other fruits. I'm wondering if anyone has info on this process, like what temperature to heat the mush up to and for how long.

Oh hey this commercial is Brazilian and so am I! Brazilians loving love blenders, if you could imagine.

The grape pineapple is interesting because the Portuguese word for pineapple is abacaxi, and the word for grape is uva. But combined, the word they used was abacaxuva, and xuva is the word for rain.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Rice pudding's super easy. Cook short-grain rice (I use arborio) to al dente (I think I use a ratio of 1 part rice to 1.5 parts water), then before you stir the cooked rice, add milk to the same level as the rice, add sugar and spices to taste, and cook it on medium-low while stirring until it reaches the consistency you like. Add more milk during the cooking as the rice absorbs it. I serve with a little bit of additional milk or cream, especially if I'm serving it warm.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A few weeks ago I got my blood pressure checked (no, this was not motivated by the blood pressure thread in GBS) and one of my numbers was high. Since I'm in pretty good shape and going through a stressful job change + move I think I know why it's high, but just in case do you all have any advice for things I should/shouldn't cook with in order to keep my blood pressure at an OK level? Yes, they did tell me to watch how much salt I eat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Roxy Rouge posted:

What can I do with pork loin that is somewhat different? I have several loins that I need to use. I have stuffed a couple , seared and roasted with pan gravy, ground some for laab. I still have so much. Any ideas?
Smoke with a simple rub, brush it down with a finishing sauce of habanero jelly and maple syrup, rest, slice, serve.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

A few weeks ago I got my blood pressure checked (no, this was not motivated by the blood pressure thread in GBS) and one of my numbers was high. Since I'm in pretty good shape and going through a stressful job change + move I think I know why it's high, but just in case do you all have any advice for things I should/shouldn't cook with in order to keep my blood pressure at an OK level? Yes, they did tell me to watch how much salt I eat.

What was your blood pressure? Watching how much salt you eat can change your blood pressure by maybe 5-10 points. Maybe. Or it might not affect it at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unless you're really eating a shitload of salt (processed food) it's not a big deal, yeah. I think people make a lot of it because it would be a quick fix. In normal cooking unless you're some kind of weird salt addict it'd be almost impossible to be eating dangerous amounts of salt.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

C-Euro posted:

Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower et al) are the ones I always hear for that.

Since it was a few weeks ago, have you gotten your blood pressure checked since then?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

baquerd posted:

What was your blood pressure? Watching how much salt you eat can change your blood pressure by maybe 5-10 points. Maybe. Or it might not affect it at all.

133 for the top number, I believe. Like I said I think I can chalk it up to the stress of changing jobs and living places while constantly arguing with my S.O. about it, but at the same time I recently got on the wrong side of 25 so I figure now's a good time to start asking questions like this, especially as it pertains to cooking since I only see myself cooking more in the future. The rest of that poo poo can go to E/N :v:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

133 for the top number, I believe. Like I said I think I can chalk it up to the stress of changing jobs and living places while constantly arguing with my S.O. about it, but at the same time I recently got on the wrong side of 25 so I figure now's a good time to start asking questions like this, especially as it pertains to cooking since I only see myself cooking more in the future. The rest of that poo poo can go to E/N :v:

You're still pre-hypertensive. The best thing to do is exercise more and get good sleep which will help your stress levels, and continue to monitor your blood pressure over time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Most (all?) of the over-salt problems come from the ridiculous amounts used in much of prepackaged food. If you're cooking for yourself most of the time don't worry about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My boss, who seems to be somewhat of an expert on slow cookery, has repeatedly urged me to make macaroni and cheese in my recently acquired cooker. However, in the instructions that came with the cooker it specifically tells you not to cook pasta in it because x y z will happen and it'll come out like poo poo. Who's right here? Is macaroni and cheese possible in a slow cooker?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's the secret sauce on making ice cream? I have an ice cream maker I got for my wedding and summer's coming and god damnit I want some ice cream/sorbet/whateverthefuckyoucanmake

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

My boss, who seems to be somewhat of an expert on slow cookery, has repeatedly urged me to make macaroni and cheese in my recently acquired cooker. However, in the instructions that came with the cooker it specifically tells you not to cook pasta in it because x y z will happen and it'll come out like poo poo. Who's right here? Is macaroni and cheese possible in a slow cooker?

I've had slow-cooked pasta, and it basically comes out mushy. That's maybe okay in something like macaroni and cheese where the whole dish can be homogeneous, but not fantastic for something like spaghetti. I'd recommend you knock out a couple of good slow cooker dishes and then try his macaroni and cheese for giggles. The worst that'll happen is that you'll have cheesy mush.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

What's the secret sauce on making ice cream? I have an ice cream maker I got for my wedding and summer's coming and god damnit I want some ice cream/sorbet/whateverthefuckyoucanmake

Just watch this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Staying away from prepackaged food can help a ton. There are many more sources of sodium in these than just salt (NaCl). A good chunk actually comes from the stuff that makes it all shelf stable. Stuff like sodium benzoate (preservative), sodium carbonate/bicarbonate/hydroxide (sets ph), nitrates/ites (prevents botulism), MSG (flavor enhancer), sodium saccharin, etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Edit: decided to just throw it away since there wasn't much left anyway

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 28, 2013

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Scientastic posted:

On an unrelated note, the other day my wife made an improvised meal with some rigatoni, a meat sauce and a bechamel, baked in the oven like a lasagne. I was fairly sure at the time that this improvised dish is actually a classic, but I don't know if I'm just making it up. Is it a regular Italian meal that she can give a name, or are we stuck with "Rigatoni lasagne thing"?

How about Baked Rigatoni with Bechamel Sauce?

If you stuffed the bechamel sauce inside the rigatoni you could call it mini-cannelloni, too.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Scientastic posted:

Sounds like a psuedo baked-ziti, but with rigatoni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Learn to make real custard bases. Quick ice creams can be good, specially for fresh fruit ones, but you just can't beat the silky consistency of a properly cooked ice cream base. Once you've done it a few times, you'll get a feel for when it's done.