Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Popehoist posted:

My god, the technology. I'm hella enjoying this thing.

Oh god, I can't recognize it from just the shoulders and air intakes.

I have failed as a Gundam fan :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It's Sinanju Stein. Look at his... well, all his chest parts. And what you can see of his face.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ignimbrite posted:

It's Sinanju Stein. Look at his... well, all his chest parts. And what you can see of his face.

In my defense, I don't have a PS3 and it's not red.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've only just recently been in a position where I can start building a backlog, but right now I'm building the FA Unicorn, with an Epyon and RX-78 ver. Ka sitting half assembled on my other desk. Katoki Master Race. :smug:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

so since MG V2 and MG DX are never happening
Oh come on, the MG V2 is totally gonna happen right guys?

... Right?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ActionZero posted:

Oh come on, the MG V2 is totally gonna happen right guys?

... Right?

I'm sure its on the to-do list for Bandai after every gundam from the seed franchise

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I just want TV Wing Zero...and a Leo.

Its sad to me that Leo will probably be made before Wing Zero will because of Tallgeese's "Leo Frame".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
And I'm sitting here praying to random deities for a Taurus. Why isn't there an HGAC line yet?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Finished it. I like this thing a lot. The beam rifle is kinda too heavy though, and the bazooka doesn't really sit in any kind of neat firing position at all. Great model, but the accessories suck cock.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 28, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

UncleRadnor posted:

I don't know how many malaygoons there are here, but does anyone know any plamo stores that they'd swear by for good prices? (specifically in the kuala lumpur area?) i'm itching for that MG duel but all i've seen is are savings of a few (after conversion) hundred yen (ok fine its pretty new so it still hasnt gone down in price :v:)

This question is from over a year ago but the Times Square mall in downtown KL has a bunch of stores that are well-stocked. Some of the department stores like Isetan and Toys R Us stores in the malls (the one under Petronas Towers) also carry a number of Gundam models.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A couple of new items from the China Gunpla factory.

NeoGrade's resin conversion kit for MG EX-S Gundam has been converted to colored plastic. Prices on ebay are showing 37 dollars shipped for this kit. Here's a pic of the Neograde for reference:

Finally, a company known as LMB has made the double fin funnel expansion pack for Nu Gundam ver ka. Ebay has it for 23 dollars shipped.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Does LMB's version also have the effect parts?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

A couple of new items from the China Gunpla factory.

NeoGrade's resin conversion kit for MG EX-S Gundam has been converted to colored plastic. Prices on ebay are showing 37 dollars shipped for this kit. Here's a pic of the Neograde for reference:

Finally, a company known as LMB has made the double fin funnel expansion pack for Nu Gundam ver ka. Ebay has it for 23 dollars shipped.

do you mind linking or PMing me that info? I wouldnt mind buying either of those.
I have an unbuilt ex-s and Nu under my bed and this would be a good reason to start them finally

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Does LMB's version also have the effect parts?

LMB's version is exactly the same as Bandai's version.

Fauxtool posted:

do you mind linking or PMing me that info? I wouldnt mind buying either of those.
I have an unbuilt ex-s and Nu under my bed and this would be a good reason to start them finally

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281113566777 - Nu Fin funnels

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271212973096 - Ex-S conversion

Scroll down to see pictures of the items to gauge the quality for yourself. I have bought from this seller before so I can confirm he's reliable. You'll probably get your items faster than I did if you're in the states.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

What does that do besides change the shoulders?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Beefs up the legs, I Field generator, and beam smart gun. Probably some other things too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Silentman0 posted:

What does that do besides change the shoulders?

The pictures the seller has show changes to everything Muike stated, plus a modified chest.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm about halfway through with the FA Unicorn, and I have two comments:

1) The Destroy Mode transformation is weird. Half of it is super easy, the other half is as frustrating as pulling teeth. Special mention goes to the entire torso (good luck separating the armor without a knife) and the knees (there's this really annoying process where you have to pull a part on the knee off, pull up the psychoframe, then put the part back on. Problem is that the psychoframe is really loose, and you'll end up just pushing the thing down again instead of getting a solid connection). Does anyone have any tips for those parts?

2) I finally understand why people dislike Katoki so much because god drat this thing's legs are ridiculous.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've picked up really awesome looking models before that I would have loved to build, only to put them back on the shelf when I see it transforms into a jet or something. I haven't been into the hobby for long, but one thing I've learned is that there are no good transforming kits. They all sacrifice structural integrity or the model builders sanity to transform and it puts me off buying one.

This is pure speculation, but do HG transforming kits fare better than MG or bigger transforming kits because they have fewer parts?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ACanofPepsi posted:

I've picked up really awesome looking models before that I would have loved to build, only to put them back on the shelf when I see it transforms into a jet or something. I haven't been into the hobby for long, but one thing I've learned is that there are no good transforming kits. They all sacrifice structural integrity or the model builders sanity to transform and it puts me off buying one.

This is pure speculation, but do HG transforming kits fare better than MG or bigger transforming kits because they have fewer parts?

If the HG Zeta kit is anything to go by, transformable HG kits are usually partsformers (you have to swap out pieces to transform it, rather than the whole thing folding in on itself like it does in the show), so they're relatively stable in both forms.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm about halfway through with the FA Unicorn, and I have two comments:

1) The Destroy Mode transformation is weird. Half of it is super easy, the other half is as frustrating as pulling teeth. Special mention goes to the entire torso (good luck separating the armor without a knife) and the knees (there's this really annoying process where you have to pull a part on the knee off, pull up the psychoframe, then put the part back on. Problem is that the psychoframe is really loose, and you'll end up just pushing the thing down again instead of getting a solid connection). Does anyone have any tips for those parts?

2) I finally understand why people dislike Katoki so much because god drat this thing's legs are ridiculous.

I'm in the middle of building mine (got 5 more gatlings, two shields, one booster, and the shuttle yet to build), and the transformation isn't the big bitch of it all. The torso separates easily enough by just pulling on the arm joint, and the trick to the leg transformation is using your pair of tweezers or whatever to get in through the back of the leg and pushing it out so it clicks into place. Then it's just about setting the kneecap in place, which is the hard part because that thing doesn't really snap in, it kinda just sits in, which is a bit of a pain, but it could be worse.

What is the big bad bitch of it all is putting on all the decals if you want to. The stickers aren't too bad*, but Jesus loving Christ, whoever designed dry rub apply decals needs to be made unable to breed. Getting those tiny little bastards on without slipping and loving up the entire application is nerve-wracking.

*Note: This is relative. They're easy to apply, there's just 409 of them to apply, which is so far beyond bonkers it loops back around to the same place.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
S-Alpha, don't you tape the dry-rub decals on the surface first, then press them on? Or are they too tiny to do that reliably? 409 decals really?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

409 sticker decals, yeah. I haven't bothered to count the dry-rub ones. And tape does help, but it doesn't really make it perfect, especially when, say, the area you're applying decals to has so many that need to be applied, that you end up risking putting tape over another decal and wrecking it when you pull it off.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Got my hands on another online exclusive kit through Samuel Decal and the HK Bandai Online Proshop.:

I'm guessing this was a reprint from the J shop at some point since it has 2012 on it, but I hadn't heard of it before. I'm actually pretty impressed because they had to do a lot of extra work for the different parts of the K & Shark Mouth compared to the regular Twin Ball set and this thing has 7 different colors and no excess parts, so it's not just a reprint with extra bits like my White Dingo kits.

Not sure if I'm going to paint them since they're tiny and I have a MG Ball ver Ka on the way, but I definitely want to put them together.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Then it's just about setting the kneecap in place, which is the hard part because that thing doesn't really snap in, it kinda just sits in, which is a bit of a pain, but it could be worse.

Yeah, this is the part that was confusing me. I was expecting a snap, but in the end all I had to do was just kind of place the kneecap there. It seems like it'd fall off at any second, but it hasn't yet so I suppose it's all good.

quote:

What is the big bad bitch of it all is putting on all the decals if you want to.

Good thing I don't want to! :v:

Seriously, I don't understand why this thing is covered in decals. Version Ka, yeah, but I thought one of main things about the Unicorn's design was that it's pure white. Why break that up with hundreds of red warning labels?
I will be covering all of the equipment in decals though, just to set up a contrast.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Anyone have experience comparing the HGUC vs RG zeta gundam? I want to get one of the two, and they're in the same price range, but amazon reviews made it sound like the RG Zeta was one of the more finicky and lesser quality PG kits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Anyone have experience comparing the HGUC vs RG zeta gundam? I want to get one of the two, and they're in the same price range, but amazon reviews made it sound like the RG Zeta was one of the more finicky and lesser quality PG kits.

I've built HGUC Zeta, and its a really good kit. RG Zeta's issue is that the transformation is very finicky and with a kit that small, you have a real risk of breaking pieces of him. That said, if you hae no intention of transforming Zeta, buy the RG. Otherwise, stick to HGUC.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
The RG Zeta was the only kit I've not had any enjoyment putting together in the past 2 years.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My first model kit ever (not my first Gundam model kit, my first model kit, period) was the RG Zaku II Char Custom and as cool as it looks and as fun as it was to build it's so finicky and parts fall off so easily (especially the skirt and the mouthpiece, which I've come dangerously close to losing several times) that it makes me leery to invest in another RG. But, if a SEED mobile suit catches my eye enough a RG would probably be the only option, considering what I've heard about the HG models.

I'm debating between my next kit being either the HG Reborn's Gundam from 00, the HG Byarlant Custom, or the HG AGE-2 Dark Hound. Anyone have any experience with these kits? The AGE-2 was the only mobile suit from Gundam AGE I really liked, and I'd love to have a 1/144 scale pirate robot to go with my other models (I'd love a Crossbone Gundam model, but I don't think there are any 1/144 scale kits of it). I like the design of Reborn's Gundam and its transformation, even if it is only "it turns around and its front head tucks in and its back head pops out", and the Byarlant has such a unique profile that I almost immediately fell in love with it.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Well Manicured Man posted:

My first model kit ever (not my first Gundam model kit, my first model kit, period) was the RG Zaku II Char Custom and as cool as it looks and as fun as it was to build it's so finicky and parts fall off so easily (especially the skirt and the mouthpiece, which I've come dangerously close to losing several times) that it makes me leery to invest in another RG. But, if a SEED mobile suit catches my eye enough a RG would probably be the only option, considering what I've heard about the HG models.

I'm debating between my next kit being either the HG Reborn's Gundam from 00, the HG Byarlant Custom, or the HG AGE-2 Dark Hound. Anyone have any experience with these kits? The AGE-2 was the only mobile suit from Gundam AGE I really liked, and I'd love to have a 1/144 scale pirate robot to go with my other models (I'd love a Crossbone Gundam model, but I don't think there are any 1/144 scale kits of it). I like the design of Reborn's Gundam and its transformation, even if it is only "it turns around and its front head tucks in and its back head pops out", and the Byarlant has such a unique profile that I almost immediately fell in love with it.

I know some folks here will lynch me for saying this, but sometimes a little dab of superglue is needed for loose parts. Used properly and not in moving joints, you can keep kits together. Just be sure you're never going to want to take it apart to paint it up later or something cause superglue is pretty much permanent.

P.S. which BALL is the best one to get?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I'm pretty sure the Shark Mouth Ball and the Ball-K are both based off the Ver. Ka so you can't go wrong with any of them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'm debating between my next kit being either the HG Reborn's Gundam from 00, the HG Byarlant Custom, or the HG AGE-2 Dark Hound. Anyone have any experience with these kits?

Those are all pretty recent kits, so they're all fine. The AGE-2 comes with its own stand though, and that's always nice.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how is the MG The O?
I see that its large and expensive compared to other MGs. It also has large flat areas with little to no detail. Does the armor at least come off or is it as boring as it looks?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Monaghan posted:

the O has some really dumb decisions- it's got a bunch of seam lines, it's a complete brick and it only comes with two beams for the beam sabers, which is ridiculous given how expensive it is.

And yeah, the armor comes off.

Now that I have two of them, I think my biggest problem with the vKa kits is that their boxarts are so boring. Sure it makes them stand out among all of the other MGs, but if you asked me if I'd rather keep this or this, I'd pick the latter every time. I'm almost hoping Bandai makes a MG FA Unicorn vOVA, just for the boxart.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 31, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlitzBlast posted:

Now that I have two of them, I think my biggest problem with the vKa kits is that their boxarts are so boring. Sure it makes them stand out among all of the other MGs, but if you asked me if I'd rather keep this or this, I'd pick the latter every time. I'm almost hoping Bandai makes a MG FA Unicorn vOVA, just for the boxart.

Wow that's pretty bad. I guess they want to show off the mold quality and detail and not have it get lost in particles and ACTION! but they could have at least put it in some kind of "Come at me bro" pose.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

BlitzBlast posted:

Whoa, where did you find that awesome size MG box cover image, I love those drat things :swoon:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fauxtool posted:

how is the MG The O?
I see that its large and expensive compared to other MGs. It also has large flat areas with little to no detail. Does the armor at least come off or is it as boring as it looks?

It's remarkable for the very fact that it exists, and it is huge and impressive in person as long as you don't look too close.

That said, it is just not a very polished product. It's flat-out missing some of the detail present on the HGUC version, and some of the parts fit is not so great. There are some nice touches, like inner shells for the leg armor, but lots more to frustrate, like a general lack of realism in the very exposed and visible leg frames. It carries a certain odor of either too little budget, overly-rushed development, or possibly both. Given that it's the one and only shot we're ever going to get at the thing in MG form, it could have been a lot better.

Having said THAT, I love mine and would be very reluctant to give it up for anything. I mean c'mon, man, it's loving The-O. You either love it or you don't. And it is not a bad kit, really, merely a disappointing one.

edit: this is one, like the MG Sazabi, where i would've been happy to pay an extra 20 or 30 American bucks for it to actually be good.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 3, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The gundam wiki usually has the MG box art on any given robot's page.

And the really annoying thing about the vKa art is that every single one is the exact same pose.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BlitzBlast posted:

The gundam wiki usually has the MG box art on any given robot's page.

And the really annoying thing about the vKa art is that every single one is the exact same pose.

Ver. Ka is meant to be a little bit distinct from the rest of the MG lines though, which is why they have that style of box art. I think the idea is that if you're buying the kit specifically because you like the way Katoki designs suits, the focus of the boxart should purely be 'check out this suit design'. That made sense when they made a kit of his redesigned RX-78-2, and less sense when the ver. Ka is the only version of a kit that's been released, like it was with the Sinanju and the Unicorn until the OVA versions came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just picked up a couple of balls.

• Locked thread