Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What enemy? That is a legitimate question. What enemy requires a cold calculating psychopath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RADIOHEADISGOD posted:

A conservative friend (pretty much the only one I have left on facebook) posted this. I'm really starting to question her grip on reality.

Don't read if you haven't seen the new Star Trek movie

Start posting about how awesome Vlad Tepes was and see if she agrees.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What enemy? That is a legitimate question. What enemy requires a cold calculating psychopath?

This is how you spot a crypto-fascist.

Pope Guilty posted:

Start posting about how awesome Vlad Tepes was and see if she agrees.

Don't the Romanians worship him?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Got this one on Facebook:

What is Obama doing wrong exactly? I seriously have no idea what this is trying to say, aside from the fact that's obviously set up as "Haw haw Obama isn't a REAL MAN who chops up trees" so that's how it should be taken?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Leospeare posted:

What is Obama doing wrong exactly? I seriously have no idea what this is trying to say, aside from the fact that's obviously set up as "Haw haw Obama isn't a REAL MAN who chops up trees" so that's how it should be taken?

He's bending over to dig a hole to plant a tree instead of standing upright while hauling brush and chopping down trees.

Never mind that planting trees is an important part of forestry and maintaining what's left of our lumber industry. If you're a Real Man (tm) you want to gently caress the environment as much as possible.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Also he isn't wearing a proper working man costume.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

Don't the Romanians worship him?

Yea I'm not sure why invoking Vlad is a 'heh now what' move, he's beloved.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think it involves mentioning how he stuck the heads/bodies of his enemies on pikes around the borders and roads leading in, Sort like a macabre picket fence.

It's how he got his epithet.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

In Romania, sure. Everywhere else he's a shorthand for gruesome, violent tyranny. Even the stories that paint him in a good light make him out to be somebody who tortured and murdered people because it sounded fun at the time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RADIOHEADISGOD posted:

A conservative friend (pretty much the only one I have left on facebook) posted this. I'm really starting to question her grip on reality.

Don't read if you haven't seen the new Star Trek movie

It takes a special kind of person to watch a movie with a bad guy whose goal is to take over the planet and exterminate everyone he deems inferior (which is like 99% of humanity) and think "Yeah, you know what? That's the kind of leader we need in real life."

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

vyelkin posted:

It takes a special kind of person to watch a movie with a bad guy whose goal is to take over the planet and exterminate everyone he deems inferior (which is like 99% of humanity) and think "Yeah, you know what? That's the kind of leader we need in real life."

I wonder if she felt the same way about that character when he was played by a Mexican guy instead of an English guy.

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
Man, she is gonna love Ender's Game then.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Ah, Ender's Game, the one book that - mixed with Atlas Shrugged - makes some really insufferable teenagers.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Sir Rolo posted:

Here's the week in LL101:

Here are a bunch of numbers and figures I made up.
Meanwhile in real life the government agencies that do food inspections are underfunded, and restaurants and other food producers get away with health code violations all the time.

And of course when Republican politicians put more regulations on abortion clinics they're inevitably aimed at shutting them down, and ensuring health and safety are just excuses.

Leospeare posted:

What I don't get is why they apparently think those pics of Bush and Reagan make them look more presidential. Here's the leader of the free world! Doing jobs that his biggest supporters normally give to day laborers they pick up from Home Depot!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Conservatives are terrified of China.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Guilty Spork posted:

What I don't get is why they apparently think those pics of Bush and Reagan make them look more presidential. Here's the leader of the free world! Doing jobs that his biggest supporters normally give to day laborers they pick up from Home Depot!
"What they were tearing down, Obama has to rebuild!!!"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Guilty Spork posted:

They look tough and manly, whereas Obama is stooping awkwardly replanting trees like some hippie liberal?

It's not about looking presidential, it's about looking like "someone you could have a beer with", and keeping in mind it's directed to other conservatives, well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Ah, Ender's Game, the one book that - mixed with Atlas Shrugged - makes some really insufferable teenagers.

What? Ender's Game is about teenagers being psychologically broken and warped into killers by a shadowy government that is hell-bent on coercing them into participating in genocide. Its main character is a charismatic psychopath who suffers repeated mental breakdowns.

How do people not notice these things?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Arglebargle III posted:

What? Ender's Game is about teenagers being psychologically broken and warped into killers by a shadowy government that is hell-bent on coercing them into participating in genocide. Its main character is a charismatic psychopath who suffers repeated mental breakdowns.

Because the author himself didn't either and refuses to accept that interpretation.

I attended a book discussion by him where he talked/bragged about how therapists told him they'd used Ender (Speaker For The Dead era, which I admittedly haven't read) as the ideal family/father figure for their clients.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Yea most people seem to get the "bullied kid bootstraps himself into super awesome hero soldier" message instead. It's kinda sad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I thought Orsen Scott Card was a proto-fascist these days.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

In Romania, sure. Everywhere else he's a shorthand for gruesome, violent tyranny. Even the stories that paint him in a good light make him out to be somebody who tortured and murdered people because it sounded fun at the time.

The problem is a lot of his 'brutal stories' came about almost instantly after his death thanks to German pamphlets. There's a decent chunk of experts who believe Vlad was no more brutal than any other ruler of his day, but many Germans and other enemies wanted to make him look like a savage barbarian.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
He re-wrote Hamlet into the most insane anti-gay thing ever and also wrote a book about not-George Soros funding an evil leftist army to take over America.

vyelkin posted:

When I first read this post I thought you were talking about Vlad the Impaler, and boy was I confused. :v:

Whoops, posted a bit too slow, it's just Orson Scott Card.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 28, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

When I first read this post I thought you were talking about Vlad the Impaler, and boy was I confused. :v:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

You're not the only one.

"Ok, Vlad Tepes being anti-gay makes sense, but how'd he know about America?! :psyduck:" :downs:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

You're not the only one.

"Ok, Vlad Tepes being anti-gay makes sense, but how'd he know about America?! :psyduck:" :downs:

Hey, I'd pay to read a novel about George Soros' nefarious commie plans to destroy America if it was written by Vlad the Impaler :colbert:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

You're not the only one.

Well, vampires are ageless!

Oh and I'd read that book too.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Learning that Orson Scott Card is a complete rear end in a top hat was my version of learning that Santa Claus isn't real. Ender's Game was the first full length novel that I ever read, and I fell in love with that entire series. I liked the characters because they seemed to be people that had been broken acting like people who were broken and pretty hosed up in the head. Wasn't until I stumbled on his website / blog years later that I discovered how awful he is as a human being. Empire is the only book I've read after that point in time, and that sealed the deal on me giving up Card books forever.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Garrand posted:

Learning that Orson Scott Card is a complete rear end in a top hat was my version of learning that Santa Claus isn't real. Ender's Game was the first full length novel that I ever read, and I fell in love with that entire series. I liked the characters because they seemed to be people that had been broken acting like people who were broken and pretty hosed up in the head. Wasn't until I stumbled on his website / blog years later that I discovered how awful he is as a human being. Empire is the only book I've read after that point in time, and that sealed the deal on me giving up Card books forever.

Card is no Ayn Rand though; the series is not infused with rhetoric to the point that it's impossible to enjoy reading one of his novels, regardless of your opinion of the author as a person. As an author, Orson Scott Card is still a fantastic writer, and personally, I don't give a poo poo what his own opinions or social agenda(s) is/are. Divorcing the concept of author-as-narrator is a foundation of literary criticism. :eng101:

e: this is a derail, let's stop it

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you want to continue, the Sci Fi / Fantasy thread in TBB gets mired in this topic every couple months:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3345499&perpage=40

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Speaking of syfy.

quote:

TEL AVIV, Israel — The Israelis are developing an airport security device that eliminates the privacy concerns that come with full-body scanners. It's an armored booth you step into that will not X-ray you, but will detonate any explosive device you may have on your person.

Israel sees this as a win-win situation for everyone, with none of this crap about racial profiling. It will also eliminate the costs of long and expensive trials.

You're in the airport terminal and you hear a muffled explosion. Shortly thereafter, an announcement: “Attention to all standby passengers, El Al is proud to announce a seat available on flight 670 to London. Shalom!”

BRILLIANT!

Came with this image. Nice glass "armor" and "Israeli" TSA agent.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
The way GAWD intended.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

zoux posted:

Conservatives are terrified of China.
The real answer is probably Muslims, and the countries where they come from. Conservatives aren't terrified of China in the "kill em all turn it to glass" way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Interlude posted:

The real answer is probably Muslims, and the countries where they come from. Conservatives aren't terrified of China in the "kill em all turn it to glass" way.

Well I got in a huge argument with my grandpa and dad about how we should cut defense spending severely and it was the threat of China they used as their main rebuttal.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

Well I got in a huge argument with my grandpa and dad about how we should cut defense spending severely and it was the threat of China they used as their main rebuttal.

Could they even explain how China is even a threat if you ignore the fact that they depend on us buying their cheap poo poo? Large army, yes, but how would they get here?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Could they even explain how China is even a threat if you ignore the fact that they depend on us buying their cheap poo poo? Large army, yes, but how would they get here?

I have a conservative friend who believes if we cut any military funding they will literally sail over here on ships and invade.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Ha. gently caress no. But they were also completely deaf to my arguments to that fact. My dad is a small business owner/job creator and I tried to frame it in terms of "would you invade your best customer" but nope! Racism wins the day again!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Fandyien posted:

I have a conservative friend who believes if we cut any military funding they will literally sail over here on ships and invade.

That has been a long running Letter to the Editor thing in the local newspaper where my parents live. Used to be once a month or a guy would write in with long screed about the Chinese invading soon, or have already landed in Canada and/or Mexico.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

That has been a long running Letter to the Editor thing in the local newspaper where my parents live. Used to be once a month or a guy would write in with long screed about the Chinese invading soon, or have already landed in Canada and/or Mexico.

You have to post some of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
In fairness, I've seen a lot of analysts and articles expressing concern over China's military capabilities, especially the Dong-Feng carrier killer and J-20 stealth fighter. If it comes down to a shooting war, China can probably keep US forces from doing anything west of Hawaii. Even so, the best preparation for war with China is not to ramp up spending, it's to make our defense dollars go further and trim some of the fat in the MIC.

And also nobody can practically invade the US, so any military action are going to be more in defense of American interests than people or territory.