Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
The best part is that everything is paid for with dollars and in American portions. One of my best times in Korea was watching Dredd, Trailer Park Boys, eating an enormous grilled cheese burrito while drinking gin tonics and being technically in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Cameron posted:

Are there any goons who are at Yongsan? Honestly I don't care if I just have to wait outside the gates and they bring me the Cinnabon and I pass them 20,000 or 25,000 or however much a 6 pack is (plus something extra for their troubles). My birthday is coming up next month and I'm going to pig out for one day.

I'm going to say this again. the Shinsege in Jukjeon has Cinnabon. You know, the one on the Bundang line? They have it in Jukjeon. Jukjeon habla cinnabon.

J
U
K
J
E
O
N

H
A
S

A

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

C
I
N
N
A
B
O
N

(Also a Johnie Rockets but EEEEeeeeeeehhhhh...)

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Bundang line, eww. It's hot and always crowded. At least line 2 turns on the air conditioning.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

AmbientParadox posted:

Bundang line, eww. It's hot and always crowded. At least line 2 turns on the air conditioning.

Do you ride bizarro Bundang line? I don't find it any different from any other line. It's way better than Line 1 and often Line 2 and 4.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Watch it be closed down.

Whatever Cinnabon is gross. Its not like sugary trash is hard to find here anyway.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I agree, but there's a kickass kebab place there with some really friendly Turks. 5k lamb kebab and they generally load me up with meat because I go there at least once a week.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
What is the best nature/hiking/urban exploration near Gyeongju that, most importantly, won't be overrun with a locust swarm of backpacking gore-tex tourists in the memorial day weekend?

I essentially don't want to see the color fuschia once in three days.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 26, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The coast along that area, starting north of Ulsan and up toward Pohang, tends to be pretty deserted whenever I've been out there and is beautiful. Mountains along pebble beaches and whatnot, crab right out of the ocean. I've been out in the Yeongnam Alps and it wasn't crowded either, though I've only done that once. And I didn't go to any :siren:famous mountains:siren: so that helped.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Could have at least told me what station the first time, Toussaint. :mad: Guess I'll be going to Bundang sometime soon. *shudder*

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

According to the Googles there's a 시나본 at 18-12 Euljiro 6-ga in Seoul (near Dongdaemun exit 8).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it makes you feel better, Cameron, it's technically in Yongin.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I went to the IFC Mall in Yeouido yesterday, and it was quite nice. It's a legitimate mall (for better or worse) and the CGV on the bottom floor is quite different than your average CGV.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Movie theaters are up there with Public Transit, Airliners, and internet cafes in the "poo poo Korea absolutely kicks our white asses in" category.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The new ones back home were pretty nice compared to the shitboxes from the age before stadium seating, but I'm all about those foot rests they got here.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Restaurant culture is what I love the most. Leave me alone until I ring the bell. It's all about the bell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Except at a bad barbecue place where the ajumma keeps loving with your grill. Leave me alone goddamnit stop taking my nice hot grill stop moving my meat before it sears aaaaa go away.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Except at a bad barbecue place where the ajumma keeps loving with your grill. Leave me alone goddamnit stop taking my nice hot grill stop moving my meat before it sears aaaaa go away.

But char is bad for your health, now let me put some raw meat on your cooked meat.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Nothing wrong with a little raw meat.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

BrainDance posted:

Nothing wrong with a little raw meat.
It's a great way to lose a lot of weight.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
IF your meat is any sort of marinade, the juices make lots of smoke. Most of the times that they've swapped grills on me, it's because we have a smokey, stinky tray. Trusting a metal elephants trunk to handle all the smoke isn't in my deck of cards.

So last week while checking homework, two of my students got into a heated debate about gay bars. One just didnt understand the concept (they're 12). So, they ask me if I know about gay bars. They asked me to clarify the whole scene. Instead, I just told them that it's not something I will talk about. I was then treated to the one going one to explain that, "It's were boy-boy kiss happens!" The other girl was incredulous to the whole thing. The Kr teachers at my work are all fairly laid back

In other news, in a class today, the subject of rub burns came up. A 10yr old girl then told me about her Math Hagwon, When the teacher is angry at a student, he gives them one. Honestly, I was appalled. How can you even begin to excuse that sort of abuse?

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 27, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Korean culture.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
Wait . . . where the gently caress is there Cinnabon at Yongsan? I've never seen it. I know they have Cinnabon at the bases in Japan but not here. And for the concept of opening the base up - the only time that happens as far as I know is when there is an air show and then it is only a particular area of the base that is open. Also, you can not even enter the BX or the commissary without a military ID and ration card. So no browsing!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

aeglus posted:

eating an enormous grilled cheese burrito

Oh jesus, I forgot about that. If you are ever missing home, get your rear end on a base. That poo poo is like homesickness triage for an american. Not exactly the same, but gets the spirit with what resources we got here.

^^^^^
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for an air show. Best bet is to get a GI. BX and COmmissary are off limits, but the knife kiosk, lovely art store, and GNC don't check IDs. The food court is free game, as is the Chillies. I want to say there is a Cinnabon over in Osan AB (Songtan Stn).

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

If you guys don't go to Jukjeon for Cinnabon, TouissaintLouverture is going to freak out.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
He just really wants some company to show off his his new Lego sets.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NAh, odds are I wouldn't meet anyone in Jukjeon, it'd have to be either Friday night(girlfriend time) or weekend for most people. I'm not wasting a Saturday or Sunday on a place that's more convenient to get to from work than from home.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Someone said they used iAnki before for flashcards, I think.

How do you do it? Korean word on one side and picture on the other? English words? And, could you share your decks? (I dont actually know if it can do that but it just seems like the kinda thing that would work)

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
So, I'm loving it here. I'm still boxed up in a little Korean style hotel, though there is a western bathroom down the hall, but at least it isn't a love motel.

Had a few questions for those who have been around for a bit.

How is the second-hand shopping? I'm going to be on a bit of a budget until things start coming together but I feel a wee out of place always wearing my work clothes around.

I've heard of Beautiful Store but I've not stopped by and would like to know if they are worth a drat.

Secondly, besides CL, are there any good avenues for music gear? I'm mainly thinking how nice it would be to pick up a small amp and some pedals... maybe a drum machine.

Lastly, where are good places to meet other musicians, expat or native? I was out in Hyundae and Itaewon over the weekend and definitely enjoyed the former but I didn't know if there were any good bars or venues to scope out.

It will be nice to be out of limbo, into and apartment and with an ARC but I'm feeling like its time to start branching out now.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've never actually heard of anyone buying anything second hand here besides phones. I've always thought Korea was very fashion conscious and much more formal and fashionable than most western countries. It seems to me a button up shirt and some nice pants is pretty much the standard in Seoul. I rarely wear a T-shirt and jeans around town. Basically what I'm saying is don't be ashamed of dressing well or being overdressed, because you're probably not.

By Hyundae do you mean Hongdae? I've met lots of musicians just going around and listening to them, I know in Hongdae on weekends tons of people will just go out with a guitar and start impromptu jam sessions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are vintage shops around, I don't live in Seoul so I don't know any. The Beautiful Store is as close to a Goodwill that Korea has.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

BrainDance posted:

How do you do it? Korean word on one side and picture on the other? English words? And, could you share your decks? (I dont actually know if it can do that but it just seems like the kinda thing that would work)

I'm using AnkiDeck for Android. One side is Korean and the other side is English. Tonight I set up decks for my week 3 vocabulary, which is primarily units of time and adjectives. Regardless of homework or studying at night, every time I hop on the subway, for 20 minutes or so I run some flash cards. It's about as fun as CHA!CHA!CHA! but I actually get something out of it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Don't feel weird wearing your work clothes. It's not weird in America (in my opinion) but here it's even less strange. I can only think of a couple situations where I would feel like I would have to change out of my work clothes.

Living on a budget is super easy here anyway. I only do it when I have to but 100,000₩ can get you really far as long as you arent going out a bunch.

I've taken trips around Seoul where all I did was some window shopping and stuff, and the whole days run me less than 10,000₩

Edit: I actually live like a block away from a store that sells used clothes, but they're used in that vintage kinda way and cost as much as anything new. And you didn't like Itaewon? I don't blame you to be honest.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 28, 2013

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I'm headed up to Seoul for Asian Metal Fest this weekend, and would also like to get a custom tailored suit while I'm there. Any recommendations?

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh jesus, I forgot about that. If you are ever missing home, get your rear end on a base. That poo poo is like homesickness triage for an american. Not exactly the same, but gets the spirit with what resources we got here.

^^^^^
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for an air show. Best bet is to get a GI. BX and COmmissary are off limits, but the knife kiosk, lovely art store, and GNC don't check IDs. The food court is free game, as is the Chillies. I want to say there is a Cinnabon over in Osan AB (Songtan Stn).

There is, sadly, no Cinnabon at Osan AB.

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover

BrainDance posted:

I use Anki synced on my computer, phone and tablet. I've been spending around 2 hours on vocab per day on average this semester, around half of that is preparing the decks as I go through the material that is going to be covered the next day. The other half is spent going over the decks using anki on my phone or tablet when I'm between classes, on the subway, waiting for the elevator etc.
Most of my decks are Korean / English, the rest are Hanja / Korean, Korean / Korean or Korean / Norwegian. I prepare decks using notepad, then import them into anki using my main computer. It then gets synced onto all my devices. I could share my decks but mindlessly memorizing using anki is not going to get you very far. Part of my learning process requires that I get to use the words in different contexts as well as make my own definitions for what they are in the material I'm working on.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
Hongdae, yeah. I guess it shows how little familiarity and sleep I have right now.

Technically, I guess it was HBC and not Itaewon, which as you may know, had their May Festival over the weekend.

There were just too many boorish foreigners (is that ridiculous to say?) ignoring traffic cops and all around forgetting their manners for me. But Bonny's Pizza was dope and I hear there is a great mediterraniean place as well.

I really feel more like I've lost my style more than anything else but that will be dealt with over time.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Action Missile Eye posted:

Hongdae, yeah. I guess it shows how little familiarity and sleep I have right now.

Technically, I guess it was HBC and not Itaewon, which as you may know, had their May Festival over the weekend.

There were just too many boorish foreigners (is that ridiculous to say?) ignoring traffic cops and all around forgetting their manners for me. But Bonny's Pizza was dope and I hear there is a great mediterraniean place as well.

I really feel more like I've lost my style more than anything else but that will be dealt with over time.

Are you on the kakao chat yet? Once Lummox gets back the Lummox Kant duo of tasteful Seoul shenanigans will be underway.

Once I get done with open classes and get some buffer on my work, I'll get that google maps of restaurants up that I keep on promising.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man lummox and Kant make a great combo!

When I hosted Korean goons over here in food goon city, aka Hong Kong I always find it amusing that k goons were super self consciousness of themselves. They say it's a habbit from being in Korea too long.

Well, of all places I'm in Stuttgart and I'm getting the waygook treatment as well. Aunties being amused of me ordering sausage, teenagers going ching chong ding dong, heckled by skin heads, stared at for running in a park. Getting constantly singled out by cops, customs, train conductors. It's weird and I'm surprised poo poo like this happens in a big German city. Right now I'm overly polite to avoid confrontations and business meetings can be more difficult than expected. People like to know my passport, if I'm a real Canadian and are surprised that I know a little bit about their host country. Or make rude assumptions that I will flee China.

Just dont want to vent too much. And feel sympathy for you guys experiencing anything similar.

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 28, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
HBC is generally where all the weird foreigners live who cook with the mushrooms that grow on the bricks on the the outside of their apartments and whatnot. HBC is where many of the lifers end up settling, though I don't know why, because it's grimy as hell and I can't imagine walking up that loving hill in the summer when it's humid and hot as gently caress.

But Al Matto is in HBC, which is a really good brick oven pizza restaurant with some solid pastas as well. Tiny but delicious and not outlandishly priced, like many places in Itaewon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

BrainDance posted:

Currently I'm inputting everything on phone Korean>English and then adding them as a type 2 card so I get English>Korean too. One of the neat things I've found about doing it on my phone is turning on the whiteboard feature and writing out the hangul with one of those lovely little touch screen pens (it would work really well with a Galaxy Note). I've found that its helped me memorize thing much faster because I'm actively engaging with the cards, I can't fool myself into pretending I was almost right and I'm making sure that I learn the correct spelling as well. I'm not sure how well this'll hold up when I get to longer sentence ect, but for now its really boosted the effectiveness of anki!

Cameron posted:

HBC is generally where all the weird foreigners live who cook with the mushrooms that grow on the bricks on the the outside of their apartments and whatnot. HBC is where many of the lifers end up settling, though I don't know why, because it's grimy as hell and I can't imagine walking up that loving hill in the summer when it's humid and hot as gently caress.

I lived in HBC for a year when I last lived in Seoul. I didn't find it to bad, apart from living near the top of the hill (right behind Paris baguette) which as you say can totally suck in the middle of summer. I guess I escaped the worst of it since I was a student and I spent most of my time in Hongdae and Sinchon anyway. For the few times that friends did come over they normally enjoyed some of quirkier westerner bars and cafes. There also used to be a fantastic Makoli bar there which kinda bucks the stereotype. Overall I always thought there were worse places to live, for being next to the base there were surprisingly few military types around and the place was generally lively with a bit of a community, certainly more so than many parts of Seoul. Although I can see why people often hate on it as it defiantly attracts a set of lifers and gap year teaching types who don't appear to actually like Korea and just want to live in their own little western bubble, but steer clear of them and you should be alight.

It could have changed in the last two years since I was there, but I'm back in town next week so I'll go and check it out again at somepoint.

• Locked thread