Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I'd personally say that FF Dimensions hit that benchmark. Maybe I'm just crazy, though.

They just need more of that and less All The Bravest.

Dimensions was console-quality, but the console in question was the wrong one.

In particular, the way it's put makes me think production values will be a priority, which has really not been the case on any of their iOS remakes. (Don't forget that Dimensions was already a remake!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bongo Bill posted:

Dimensions was console-quality, but the console in question was the wrong one.

Are you complaining about it being on mobile phones, or claiming that no one wants SNES-era-styled games anymore?

Bongo Bill posted:

(Don't forget that Dimensions was already a remake!)

Of?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

less promisingly, a focus on region-specific titles rather than pursuing universal appeal.

I don't know, I think this is basically what they need to do. If they're not trying to have universal appeal then maybe they can have some focus in their games.

It was a chapter-based cell phone game like The After Years. The iOS/Android port is a remake in the vein of the PSP one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, I think this is basically what they need to do. If they're not trying to have universal appeal then maybe they can have some focus in their games.

I can see the worry if you take that to mean that games that people in the States/EU want are even slower/less likely to come over. Their handling of NA/EU releases of their mobile ports is actually a perfect example of that (doubly so if you're an Android user).

ImpAtom posted:

It was a chapter-based cell phone game like The After Years. The iOS/Android port is a remake in the vein of the PSP one.

See, I didn't know that. That's actually fascinating. So it predates "modern" smartphones and stuff?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you complaining about it being on mobile phones, or claiming that no one wants SNES-era-styled games anymore?

Neither. I'm saying that Final Fantasy Dimensions is not indicative of the production values of something that would be called "console-quality" today. People called its graphics "RPGMaker-esque," and while playing it, the constant reuse of background tiles is very evident. It looks better on a high-resolution display but it's not even the prettiest game made by Matrix Software in 2010, let alone something you could call "console-quality" in 2013.

I like Dimensions but it was cheaply made. I expect to see higher production values on mobile after this announcement.

Of itself. Final Fantasy Dimensions debuted on Japanese dumb phones in 2010 with pixelly 16-bit style graphics. The higher-resolution visuals of the iOS and Android versions are in the same style as the PSP versions of FF1, FF2, and FF4, and the iOS/Android port of FF5.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

Counterpoint: It took them for-loving-ever to announce localization of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. Next time they make something like that, maybe we won't get it at all under this new policy.

(mind you, I can't actually confirm BD:FF won't suck, but I liked 4 Heroes of Light a lot so I could use the same argument with that one probably not being US-targeted.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The worst case scenario is a return to the mid-90s, where half their titles don't get localized, but their best stuff still does. This is a real fear - even though they did confirm Bravely Default, consider that we almost didn't get loving Dragon Quest 6 until Nintendo stepped in to publish it.

Regardless of international releases, hopefully it does mean abandoning, at least partly, the wrong-headed cargo-cult imitation of "western" game styles. Alternatively, it could mean diving headlong into the moe abyss - in which case less localization actually works out pretty well for us.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

See, I didn't know that. That's actually fascinating. So it predates "modern" smartphones and stuff?

Yep. There was a period where Japanese cell phones were way fancier than ours. Square actually made a few games in that period (Although Dimensions was somewhat into the Smartphone period.) The end result of that however was that Japan took forever to even consider adopting Smart Phones, their phone technology fell behind, and Square started transitioning over to other stuff.

They got a Final Fantasy 7 prequel called Before Crisis about The Turks. (That female Turk from CC is actually from that.) They got The After Years. They got Dimensions. They were also supposed to get Type-0 (which was known as Agito at the time) and The Third Birthday, but both of those were shifted over to PSP.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Counterpoint: It took them for-loving-ever to announce localization of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. Next time they make something like that, maybe we won't get it at all under this new policy.

I will point out that we didn't get a Final Fantasy game. Like a full-on Final Fantasy game. Nor quite a few of their other more obscure games. This wouldn't be a huge change for them. If they start putting out quality games though then at least maybe we'll get the good ones.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

The worst case scenario is a return to the mid-90s, where half their titles don't get localized, but their best stuff still does. This is a real fear - even though they did confirm Bravely Default, consider that we almost didn't get loving Dragon Quest 6 until Nintendo stepped in to publish it.
Holy poo poo, I hadn't heard this before. In what universe does that make even a marginal amount of sense? I mean, DQ doesn't set the world on fire over here like it does over there, but isn't it still a fairly consistent seller?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't heard this before. In what universe does that make even a marginal amount of sense? I mean, DQ doesn't set the world on fire over here like it does over there, but isn't it still a fairly consistent seller?

Yeah, that's why Nintendo picked it up. Nintendo also published and marketed Dragon Quest IX outside of Japan. I guess Square Enix was disappointed with the numbers that the remakes of IV and V pulled. Sadly we have heard nothing about the state of the remake of VII, but maybe Nintendo will come through again.

But yeah, Yoichi Wada apparently had a money allergy. If it hadn't been for Tomb Raider and Deus Ex, Square Enix would've been in serious trouble last year. That's why they got this new guy.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. There was a period where Japanese cell phones were way fancier than ours. Square actually made a few games in that period (Although Dimensions was somewhat into the Smartphone period.) The end result of that however was that Japan took forever to even consider adopting Smart Phones, their phone technology fell behind, and Square started transitioning over to other stuff.

They got a Final Fantasy 7 prequel called Before Crisis about The Turks. (That female Turk from CC is actually from that.) They got The After Years. They got Dimensions. They were also supposed to get Type-0 (which was known as Agito at the time) and The Third Birthday, but both of those were shifted over to PSP.

I forget if Brigade was originally made with smartphones in mind but it's definitely got the trappings of their feature phone stuff.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You're likely right, all I know about the cast is Melia's voice is on Doctor Who.

EDIT: Simon Pegg would make a fantastic Reyn.

Really? Huh, that never crossed my mind.

Really more games (more everything, really) should be UK Dubbed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is something Fable III does right. Never played it but if I ever do, it will be for the voice cast more than anything else.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I will point out that we didn't get a Final Fantasy game. Like a full-on Final Fantasy game. Nor quite a few of their other more obscure games. This wouldn't be a huge change for them. If they start putting out quality games though then at least maybe we'll get the good ones.

At the very least, the fan translation's coming along nicely. It's apparently very easy to edit the in-game text and the cutscene subtitles, so it's not going to be the uphill struggle of gamebreaking glitches and assembly code that the Mother 3 translation faced.

http://vimeo.com/66571353

Rather than making two separate patches for each of the 1.8 GB UMD discs, the patch merges the two into a single 2 GB file, which is the largest file that the PSP can support. The only downside is the reduction in FMV quality, but it's more convenient since the original game had a very odd disc-swapping pattern. The first and last missions were on disc one, which have no multiplayer component. After the first mission, you switch to disc two for most of the game, and switch back to disc one again for the end of the game. This is probably since most of the FMV cutscenes are at the start and end of the game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've never finished FF2, nor played much of FF3j. Haven't finished FF10 yet, and never seen looked at anything between 11 and whatever they are up to now days.
FF1 has Garland, who was a respected knight of the realm but fell for reasons(?), and through plot devices created a time loop that's hinted at having occurred numerous times. Garland gets sent to the past, where he sends the four fiends into the present. At the end, you travel to the past to fight Garland, who has become Chaos. In killing him, you break the time loop at it's source, and when the Warriors of Light return to the present, well Nothing they did in the game EVER loving HAPPENED. By your own deeds, you have erased your accomplishments.
So, heros save the day, but no one knows it, not even themselves.

Edit: Looking at a wiki, seems theres been some game where he was developed a bit

Yeah, that's Dissidia. The gist of his character in that, is that he is aware that he's stuck in a perpetual time-loop (of both FF1 and Dissidia's plot), and enjoys battle. Perhaps one of the few sensible plot points it has, is that it reveals that Garland time paradox hijinks, were instigated by an outside agency; which means his predestination paradox actually has a start point.

As for the other antagonists of the other games, FFII's Emperor basically wants to lord over everything, and isn't presented as sympathetic in any way - dude is such a dick, that when he dies, he takes over Hell ,while his "Good" side -also a dick- takes over Heaven. There was a (non-canon?) Japanese-only novel that said that Satan himself, had a hand in manipulating the Emperors of Palamecia to be utter dicks, and that Satan's influcence had been corrupting the family for years. But that's about as far as it goes for him.

FF3's Xande is a complete non-character - the only things we ever find out about him, are that he was "gifted" mortality by his magic teacher, thought "screw that", and caused an imbalance of darkness in the crystals to flood the world to preserve himself.

The more interesting character (which they developed more in Dissidia), is the Cloud of Darkness. What's interesting is that it's presented as more a force of nature than anything else. It basically acts as a negating force when the world is either flooded with too much darkness or light.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vil posted:

It's actually a very nice general purpose defensive accessory. That said, you get three freebies from other sources and can buy more from the much-lauded chocobo mini-game (for, mind you, a crazy high amount of points), so it's not technically necessary even if you want all four of your party members to have one.
Yeah, I love eqiupping Protect Rings but it's not like the game doesn't hand 'em out like candy after a certain point.

Well, I've kind of been on a "play older games" kick to refresh between animating and programming lately, I guess I'll have to pick up FF9 again after I finish up Suikoden. I closed that video window so I wouldn't see the whole thing; I like poo poo being a surprise.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, I love eqiupping Protect Rings but it's not like the game doesn't hand 'em out like candy after a certain point.

Well, I've kind of been on a "play older games" kick to refresh between animating and programming lately, I guess I'll have to pick up FF9 again after I finish up Suikoden. I closed that video window so I wouldn't see the whole thing; I like poo poo being a surprise.

You honestly pretty much saw the whole thing after one cycle.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Should I bother doing all the Fort Condor battles? Like, can I just give them the money and go about my actual business saving the world and then come back later, do the last battle and collect my ultimate materia?

Also, in relation to Yuffie, if I screw up once ("Hey, I remember I have to choose the right dialogue choices, good thing there's a save point right the-gently caress you.") do I have to wait 'til I get to the next part of the world or whatever to encounter her again or can i just run around in the forest outside Junon?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Outside of miscellaneous consumables (the Megalixir from battle 4 is somewhat noteworthy), the only other rewards are Magic Comb (battle 1), Peace Ring (battle 2), and Superball (battle 7). All of which can be purchased in item shops later in the game, so it's less about getting things period and more about getting things early.

The only "important" thing to do is, in the final battle for the huge materia, let the enemies walk up to the fort so you can fight the commander in a regular character battle and win the Imperial Guard. There's also a bit of a case to be made for doing the same thing in battle 1, 2, or 3 for a Vagyrisk Claw without needing to go for the rare steal on that. (But only a bit of a case, and it's more of a perfectionist/completionist thing; there's certainly no particular merit to farming up those items. And heaven help anyone who wants 99 of that thing without W-Item duping.)

These battle numbers are assuming you don't skip any of them, since I'm a little confused on the exact mechanics of what happens in terms of rewards and commander encounters if you do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Okay, anyone know any easy ways/tips to help me kill Ruby Weapon? He's my last hurdle before I put FF7 away for another 6 years.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It can be paralysed, and becomes a lot less tedious if it runs out of MP. So use Dazers and Magic Hammer.

TehGherkin posted:

Also, in relation to Yuffie, if I screw up once ("Hey, I remember I have to choose the right dialogue choices, good thing there's a save point right the-gently caress you.") do I have to wait 'til I get to the next part of the world or whatever to encounter her again or can i just run around in the forest outside Junon?

You can fight her in the same forest until you get her if you want.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay, anyone know any easy ways/tips to help me kill Ruby Weapon? He's my last hurdle before I put FF7 away for another 6 years.

Mastered Final attack+Phoenix, KOTR+Mp turbo, mp switch, w-summon, 2 dead party members, Ribbon on Cloud, and anything else that boosts magic attack to make sure KOTR is hitting for 9999, and also a Mime if you get the chance to mime yourself its cheaper MPwise (I believe, but not like it matters too much.

I think a mastered elemental + fire on your armlet as well.

Been awhile tho.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

As for the other antagonists of the other games, FFII's Emperor basically wants to lord over everything, and isn't presented as sympathetic in any way - dude is such a dick, that when he dies, he takes over Hell ,while his "Good" side -also a dick- takes over Heaven. There was a (non-canon?) Japanese-only novel that said that Satan himself, had a hand in manipulating the Emperors of Palamecia to be utter dicks, and that Satan's influcence had been corrupting the family for years. But that's about as far as it goes for him.

Actually I think the novel is supposed to be canon... I dunno. That's what I've always heard.

I hate when they release Japan-only stuff like that. FFVII and FFXIII had the benefit of huge fanbases to translate all those novels/novellas but it's still irritating.

I had intended to read the FFXIII stuff that I guess describes the Thirteen Days leading up to the game in more detail but then I played the game and was like "bleh." I think it explains why Lightning was able to talk to the door or whatever and let her and Sazh out? I'm pretty sure that was never addressed in the game.

quote:

The more interesting character (which they developed more in Dissidia), is the Cloud of Darkness. What's interesting is that it's presented as more a force of nature than anything else. It basically acts as a negating force when the world is either flooded with too much darkness or light.

Ya know, I think that could be a pretty cool concept for the next FF. A group of legendary adventurers already beat some evil monster thing and everything seems fine and peaceful except the Cosmic Balance is thrown out of whack and an impartial force comes out of nowhere to set the scales right again.

FF could do with a bit more moral ambiguity.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

It can be paralysed, and becomes a lot less tedious if it runs out of MP. So use Dazers and Magic Hammer.

Thanks. I was trying to remember why I used W-summon Hades + KOTR and mime to kill Ruby.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Both ten and twelve were only voiced in cut scenes and battles, right? Not random dialog?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Skychrono posted:

Both ten and twelve were only voiced in cut scenes and battles, right? Not random dialog?

Yeah, NPCs weren't voiced.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax

TehGherkin posted:

Should I bother doing all the Fort Condor battles? Like, can I just give them the money and go about my actual business saving the world and then come back later, do the last battle and collect my ultimate materia?

The Fort Condor battles are actually a ton of fun. Also, I made the mistake of getting Yuffie and going to Wutai severely underlevled. So if you do grab her, don't go to Wutai until your characters are at least at levels 30+ :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No go to Wutai as soon as possible because it's hilarious.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

No go to Wutai as soon as possible because it's hilarious.

Wutai is one of few serious challenges in the game. What really helped me was grinding on the world map a bit for X Potions, and using items with magic effects (like Bolt Plumes).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah, NPCs weren't voiced.

Not in 12 they weren't, but 10 voiced nearly everything it could find an excuse to voice, including plenty of non-cutscene conversations with named NPCs (or party members for that matter).

And that, as they say, is that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Vil posted:

Not in 12 they weren't, but 10 voiced nearly everything it could find an excuse to voice, including plenty of non-cutscene conversations with named NPCs (or party members for that matter).

And that, as they say, is that.

Eh...10 had most non cutscene NPCs silent. There just weren't a ton of them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh...10 had most non cutscene NPCs silent. There just weren't a ton of them.

I didn't play far through it, did they voice the NPCs that were in cutscenes?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I didn't play far through it, did they voice the NPCs that were in cutscenes?

A couple, like the Chocobo Knights or whatever. And Donna or whatever.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Azure_Horizon posted:

A couple, like the Chocobo Knights or whatever. And Donna or whatever.

And some crowds. And the fans in the intro.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Didn't FFX have that old guy that would explain a lot of lore to you if you talked to him but was entirely silent? I'm not imagining this right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't FFX have that old guy that would explain a lot of lore to you if you talked to him but was entirely silent? I'm not imagining this right?

Old History Dude was fully voiced. "And that, as they say, is that..."

Loved that old dude.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Loved that old dude.

It is shameful that the game I am most looking forward to this year is FFX+FFX-2 HD because I forgot 90% of it apparently.

There's a song that is stuck in my head from either FFX or FFX-2 that is Al-Bhed themed and it has a bunch of machine sounds in the background and now I'm really excited for FFX again.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Loved that old dude.

In X-2 Maechen has the longest goddamn story, some 6 minutes of nonstop talking. :shepface:

You can interrupt him at any time but since we're talking FF X-2, you lose completion % for doing so.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It is shameful that the game I am most looking forward to this year is FFX+FFX-2 HD because I forgot 90% of it apparently.

There's a song that is stuck in my head from either FFX or FFX-2 that is Al-Bhed themed and it has a bunch of machine sounds in the background and now I'm really excited for FFX again.

Is this it? It's the only Al Bhed theme I can think of.

Never gonna forget when i went to Djose and chatted up Zack about digging with this song playing in the background. it really gets stuck in your head.

And no, you're not shameful. We're finally getting the International version of X-2. I've wanted that poo poo for years now. I wonder if they'll dub Last Mission? I hope so. (and to return to my earlier dub discussion, I thought X-2's dub showed quite a lot of improvement from X)

Kanfy posted:

In X-2 Maechen has the longest goddamn story, some 6 minutes of nonstop talking. :shepface:

You can interrupt him at any time but since we're talking FF X-2, you lose completion % for doing so.

That's not so lame. He tells you about this dude named Trema and Trema is pretty cool. Speaking of talkative NPCs, I liked that the random monk dude in X became a semi-important character and superboss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Really it's X-2 I'm looking forward to. The new dresspheres look interesting and the Psychic especially looks really fun.

Changing jobs on the fly is a fun system.