Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hah, yeah, don't sell that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
The lotus garden and the lotuses and tigers are just PvE only, right? I suppose people want the copy of the iconic mtg card.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BenRGamer posted:

The Spectral Lotus Garden, the one that generates the one-time-use lotus things that turn into tigers. This is a weird game.

I think you misspelled "awesome."

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Honestly even if you don't care about PVE, if you are backing the kickstarter you should probably just sit on all of the KS only cards.

I'm a little annoyed that the rarest card of the kickstarter is probably going to come from a shirt.

A little off topic and might be a long shot, but was anyone in here in that Mojang Scrolls beta? Apparently it's going open beta in a few days and it's going to be $20 dollars. I'll probably buy it regardless but was wondering if anyone had any experience to comment on the game from the beta.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

katkillad2 posted:

I'm a little annoyed that the rarest card of the kickstarter is probably going to come from a shirt.

From comments on the forum it seems they're nixing that plan.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm hoping this will have a cool singleplayer experience cause Shandalar has made me desirous of a good singleplayer CCG.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

katkillad2 posted:

A little off topic and might be a long shot, but was anyone in here in that Mojang Scrolls beta? Apparently it's going open beta in a few days and it's going to be $20 dollars. I'll probably buy it regardless but was wondering if anyone had any experience to comment on the game from the beta.

I've really only seen what little media of the game they have out which is basically a video from minecon last year. It basically looks like a combination of the Might & Magic game types, as in a mashup of HoM&M, Clash of Heroes and Duel of Champions. It does look quite fun though; I'll probably have to take back what I've said about never seeing another interesting game from Mojang after Minecraft.

Back onto Hex though, I saw the update about the T-shirts but is this some sort of limited opportunity? I haven't seen who, where, when and how about them, just that they want to make them and possibly attach a card to it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Back onto Hex though, I saw the update about the T-shirts but is this some sort of limited opportunity? I haven't seen who, where, when and how about them, just that they want to make them and possibly attach a card to it.

I'm a little confused on the situation as well. They are definitely making shirts regardless, the last update said "I think most people will be stoked to get the cool cards, but if you feel differently, please vote that way, and in the end we will live by the decision of the community."

But then almost immediately Cory posted in another thread saying now he thought it was also probably a bad idea and how this was a good example of how good intentions could go bad or something. So who knows, the poll they did is at %60 for attaching a card to the shirt and it says the poll ends Wednesday.

When they offer the shirt or shirt and card it should be an option on kickstarter page, unless they are going to sell them from their own website.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

As far as I know, the situation is:

- They're still going to offer the shirt because it's totally uncontroversial and a lot of people want it. My guess is that it'll be announced in tomorrow's update..

- They're not going to offer a card with the shirt because about 40% of their fanbase said it would piss them off if they did, and that's just not worth it.

- They might or might not offer something smaller with the shirt, like an exclusive sleeve.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pumpinglemma posted:

As far as I know, the situation is:

- They're still going to offer the shirt because it's totally uncontroversial and a lot of people want it. My guess is that it'll be announced in tomorrow's update..

- They're not going to offer a card with the shirt because about 40% of their fanbase said it would piss them off if they did, and that's just not worth it.

- They might or might not offer something smaller with the shirt, like an exclusive sleeve.

The sleeve idea is smart. You already can't get all the sleeves unless you pledge to every tier from 1000 up because those each have an exclusive. So the collector argument isn't as meaningful there. Giving a card seems like an awful idea.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Karnegal posted:

The sleeve idea is smart. You already can't get all the sleeves unless you pledge to every tier from 1000 up because those each have an exclusive. So the collector argument isn't as meaningful there. Giving a card seems like an awful idea.

Plus, shirts and sleeves just seem like they go together :haw:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why is it such a big deal if they include a card?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rear end Catchcum posted:

Some people care deeply about Catching Them All and would feel they "had" to buy a $30-plus-shipping shirt just to get the card.

For me I just don't want to monkey with my pledge settings any further for fear of having someone snipe my pledge tier out from under me.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

It's a PVP card, and tournament-legal promo cards that have no other availability have been problematic.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
We're still on holiday here, but I doubt we'll be attaching cards to the tee shirts at this point.

For Dungeon Crawler, the bonus is on a boss's loot table. So, if you normally get two rolls, you'd get 4. If the boss can drop a card, then it's on his or her loot table.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Blinkman987 posted:

We're still on holiday here, but I doubt we'll be attaching cards to the tee shirts at this point.

For Dungeon Crawler, the bonus is on a boss's loot table. So, if you normally get two rolls, you'd get 4. If the boss can drop a card, then it's on his or her loot table.

I'm getting happier and happier that Pro was sold out and I decided to upgrade to Grand King.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You know, with all of these people grabbing up multiple Grand King and other tiers, I'm kind of wondering how many new players that could scare off once the game launches proper. I mean, all of the backers will have an enormous head start, not to mention all the cards they get out of the beta, how are they gonna catch up on PvP and all of that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

You know, with all of these people grabbing up multiple Grand King and other tiers, I'm kind of wondering how many new players that could scare off once the game launches proper. I mean, all of the backers will have an enormous head start, not to mention all the cards they get out of the beta, how are they gonna catch up on PvP and all of that.

Probably by just buying a deck for cheap since there'll be a crap ton of cards floating around? If there aren't a crap ton of cards floating around then a huge number of people will be in the same boat as them so it's all pretty even. It's not like you wear all your boosters like armor, you have a 40 or 60 card deck and that's it. For drafting your massive library of cards do absolutely nothing since you aren't even using them.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Welp, jumping on board at the King tier. God knows I've spent way more on Magic for way less.
Hope this goes over well!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I've spent so much money on so many TCGs and swore em off when netrunner launched. Now I'm spending 250 bucks on this game, haha. I believe I have a problem. :smith: Echo'ing other comments here as well. I don't understand why more people haven't switched off of PP tier for say, DC tier? 52 free drafts and double PvE loot for life? Seems like people are betting that PvE content won't contain boosters as loot drops or that those boosters will be harder to come by.

I guess people aren't considering selling the 2x drops and then buying boosters? Path of least resistance and :words: about human psychology then?

BenRGamer posted:

With all the boosters being given away to backers like candy and the fact that paying for a draft will be ~7 bucks, I have a feeling that the auction house will have a very hefty volume of trading being done within the first week. I wonder how difficult achieving the coveted "going infinite" status in draft will be for those skilled in the format?

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 28, 2013

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Will the guild master tier also get 3 beta invites to give away along with their 3 sets of boosters, or is pledging for the lowest level the only way to get beta-invites for friends?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blazing Zero posted:

I've spent so much money on so many TCGs and swore em off when netrunner launched. Now I'm spending 250 bucks on this game, haha. I believe I have a problem. :smith: Echo'ing other comments here as well. I don't understand why more people haven't switched off of PP tier for say, DC tier? 52 free drafts and double PvE loot for life? Seems like people are betting that PvE content won't contain boosters as loot drops or that those boosters will be harder to come by.

I guess people aren't considering selling the 2x drops and then buying boosters? Path of least resistance and :words: about human psychology then?

With all the boosters being given away to backers like candy and the fact that paying for a draft will be ~7 bucks, I have a feeling that the auction house will have a very hefty volume of trading being done within the first week. I wonder how difficult achieving the coveted "going infinite" status in draft will be for those skilled in the format?

CZ has pretty much said that if they give away boosters for PvE it'll be a one of to entice people to draft. If your main interest is PvP and drafting, pro is a far better deal than dungeon crawler, since you don't want to be grinding equipment in the first place.

Jeffonious
May 23, 2013
So I might be overthinking things, but the Grand King tier will receive 2 copies of the Spectral Lotus Garden?

Tamba posted:

Will the guild master tier also get 3 beta invites to give away along with their 3 sets of boosters, or is pledging for the lowest level the only way to get beta-invites for friends?

They have not said that the guild master tier (or any tier) will be given extra beta invites. Though I think it would make sense to do so for Guild Master and up, as you mentioned.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Karnegal posted:

CZ has pretty much said that if they give away boosters for PvE it'll be a one of to entice people to draft. If your main interest is PvP and drafting, pro is a far better deal than dungeon crawler, since you don't want to be grinding equipment in the first place.

Yeah, if you aren't interested in spending time doing lots of raids and stuff, PP is the best bet. I guess I just put higher value on the 2x loot drop cause I don't mind PvE grinds for the most part. This also shows that there are far more competitive drafters interested in the game than serious mmo PvE types. Things like that kraken pulling dudes out of your deck, all the talk about other neat mechanics and that format where PvE stuff is allowed in PvP have me excited as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The PvE/PvP mixed format is going to be a flood of one-round-kill craziness unless you're only playing with a small group of friends at your same level or something.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Jeffonious posted:

So I might be overthinking things, but the Grand King tier will receive 2 copies of the Spectral Lotus Garden?

Yea, grand king will get 2 lotus gardens. One for being grand king and one for having the collector tier included. You'll get 3x of every other KS card that isn't the lotus garden and the raid leader card which you'll only get 1 of.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The PvE/PvP mixed format is going to be a flood of one-round-kill craziness unless you're only playing with a small group of friends at your same level or something.

I think they really need to have a setting to adjust total health for this mode. So each player starts with 100 health so the game isn't over in 3 turns or whatever.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 28, 2013

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

katkillad2 posted:

Yea, grand king will get 2 lotus gardens. One for being grand king and one for having the collector tier included. You'll get 3x of every other KS card that isn't the lotus garden and the raid leader card which you'll only get 1 of.

I'm pretty sure that Collector gets 2 lotus gardens - as well as 3x of every other KS card, GK gets the same, plus all of it's own bonuses (from the other $250 tiers) on top

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Question(s) about the "friend codes" from the Guild Leader tier:

Can I use those codes to get a friend into a beta? If a friend has an account with a single free starter pack, can I still give him those codes, or does it need to be a pay account?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm pretty sure that Collector gets 2 lotus gardens - as well as 3x of every other KS card, GK gets the same, plus all of it's own bonuses (from the other $250 tiers) on top

Yes, this is correct - Grand King gets the same number of cards as Collector.

Question(s) about the "friend codes" from the Guild Leader tier:

Can I use those codes to get a friend into a beta? If a friend has an account with a single free starter pack, can I still give him those codes, or does it need to be a pay account?

That would be a really good idea on their part (otherwise I suspect most people will give the boosters to themselves), but so far there's been no official indication that it will be the case as far as I know.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Go ahead and make that suggestion to them via the KS e-mail or another one of their e-mails. They're very responsive.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Karnegal posted:

No it isn't. You need to still be interested in the game after a year, which isn't going to be everyone, but let's say you love the game and play for three years. Okay, you've saved $700 in years 2/3 (actually much less than that since you'll win some % of your boosters back).

If the PvE is any good and has endgame type content, double boss drops could equal that off a handful of raids.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'm imagining that format becoming "MTG Legacy minus the ban list" and it is glorious. :allears:

People will have to make decisions like "Is it worth burning multiple Spectral Lotuses to blow this poor sap out before his first turn?". I can only imagine the tears of rage that will be shed. :getin:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Adar posted:

If the PvE is any good and has endgame type content, double boss drops could equal that off a handful of raids.

Oh god, I can see it now. 3v1 dungeons. 3 players. Tank... damage.. heals.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how group builds end up, like if there's some raid team that can beat bosses with some secret strat they cooked up and no one else can figure it out yet.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Oh god, I can see it now. 3v1 dungeons. 3 players. Tank... damage.. heals.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how group builds end up, like if there's some raid team that can beat bosses with some secret strat they cooked up and no one else can figure it out yet.

That's actually a good point. Even in MTG there's minimal deck specialization in team games (Though to be fair the only widely played team format is 2HG). Now I'm wondering how the metagame for raids will shake out. Will people just team their solo builds together, or will having one or more players run a specialized support build be the norm?

I'm imagining one person act as the "tank" by running hardcore permission control without any wincons to prevent the boss from touching anyone while his buddies go all in with heavy aggro/midrange builds.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Adar posted:

No it isn't. You need to still be interested in the game after a year, which isn't going to be everyone, but let's say you love the game and play for three years. Okay, you've saved $700 in years 2/3 (actually much less than that since you'll win some % of your boosters back).

Adar, this is an assumption I was making as well. The assumption that PvE loot will be valuable enough to keep you in the same amount of drafts as PP tier. We can't make educated guesses into what the market for PvE cards loot will look like until we actually start playing the PvE content. If I didn't like good PvE content and grinding, I can see why I'd think the DC bonus is crap.

edit: forgot that other stuff drops too

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 28, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Adar posted:

You keep missing the part where some people don't want to raid/play PvE. Yes, I get where you're coming from on value, but time is money and some people aren't going to want to spend it on PvE content.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Karnegal posted:

You keep missing the part where some people don't want to raid/play PvE. Yes, I get where you're coming from on value, but time is money and some people aren't going to want to spend it on PvE content.

I also think it's a little optimistic to think that there's going to be more than $7/week worth of value out of double loot drops in a game where all PvE content is free-to-play. $7 buys a fair amount of farmer time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah it's basically you have the trade-off of getting those PVP drafts just because you paid for them up front vs. having to grind.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, Dungeon Crawler is a gamble on people being willing to pay hundreds of virtual dollars for end-game raid content.

I'm not sure that's a sure bet for a lot of reasons. Primarily, you're not going to get the same chance to show off fancy PvE content; raids of three people are not raids of forty, there aren't going to be big cities where you can wave around your fancy raid gear, etc.

More importantly, though, the PvE endgame content in most of the big MMO's exists because the PvE endgame content is the long-term value driver of the game. That's what keeps people playing for a long time, so it takes forever, so people spend a lot of $$ to shortcut that long process. That's the whole point -- make people spend months raiding so that all forty people can get a full set of Dragonbone Plate or whatever.

In this game I suspect that they will have a far greater priority on getting people into PvP as the "endgame" content. There will be leveling up the champion and various mercenaries, sure, and there's clearly lots of cards for people to get equipment for, but I think the PvE equipment market is going to be a bigger gamble in this game than x number of free drafts over time.

Of course that distinction is somewhat moot because presuming you only play for a year you'll get the same draft benefits either way. But (for example) the Collector tier might turn out to be just as valuable as Dungeon Crawler, if PvE gear is relatively easy to obtain and there's a high demand for the PvP alternate art cards.

EDIT: another factor is that every booster you open supposedly includes some sort of virtual "prize" in addition to the cards. My bet is this will at least sometimes be a random item of equipment.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Adar posted:

PP is a conservative choice. Are you honestly surprised most people are making it? It has guaranteed returns of a set value.

Cryptozoic has straight-out said that dungeon crawler is likely the most lucrative $250 tier and they are surprised how poorly it has sold. I think the disconnect is in that no one really knows about pve yet. We have a rough idea of the layout and goals, but we don't actually know how it ultimately plays out. We don't know how the content will be developed, the value of the loot, or any of the other factors. All we can do is speculate.

I agree with you that Dungeon Crawler's bonus is going to be great. Raid Leader and Guild Leader seem to exist solely to buff Grand King from my point of view, although snagging a guild leader tier just to have a shared guild leader account that no one actually plays could be a consideration for certain people.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 28, 2013

• Locked thread