Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Is there any information about the "nexus experience" or "developer edition" S4s coming to Verizon? I've read about this on a few sites and it seems like it could be a nice option for someone who may be looking to upgrade their GNex in the near future (me). Everything I've seen about the S4 looks pretty nice and if it were a nexus phone for all intents and purposes, and it had LTE support, I'd be sold. Seems the "developer edition" isn't stock android but would be closer to a nexus than the standard S4.

It just looks like the bootloader is unlocked. It's not gonna be like that Nexus s4 for AT&T and Tmobile that is coming next month sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

PitViper posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a signal amplifier/antenna setup for VZW, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-801865-Adjustable-Wireless-Amplifier/dp/B005OD0FZ8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_2

My family has a home where the cell reception is terrible indoors, and I'm pretty sure it's a combination of steel siding and being in a bowl down by a lake, as well as being a long way from a tower. We can normally get half-decent 3G indoors, but spotty 4G service outside, with good 4G service about 2-3 miles down the road. They use a 3G smartphone for internet service here on the weekends, unless I'm here as well, then we use my 4G smartphone hotspot. we're not sure if something like this would be worth it for the 1/3 of the year they spend weekends here, but I thought I'd research it a bit more. I know the one I linked is 4G only, but it seems like I can pick between 3G boosting and 4G boosting.

I have never used this one in particular, but wilson stuff in general is very good. They actually build in protections to prevent causing problems with the local signal.

Keep in mind, that no voice goes over 4G, so if you are only boosting 4G thats not going to help with any voice calls.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Is there any information about the "nexus experience" or "developer edition" S4s coming to Verizon?

For as long as Verizon keeps its CDMA network alive, Nexus devices aren't going to be coming back to Verizon. What Google & Verizon endured together with the Galaxy Nexus was far too lovely for either company to want to repeat.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Well nuts! I was with AT&T years ago and left for a reason. While it would be nice to have another nexus phone I may just go ahead and upgrade my Gnex to an S4 at some point this summer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there an easy way to get Verizon to get me a microcell for free or cheap? I moved to a new apartment and I basically can't make phone calls in my living room since they either don't go through at all or drop after 5-10 minutes. My front room kind of works better, but even that is dropping.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

Is there an easy way to get Verizon to get me a microcell for free or cheap? I moved to a new apartment and I basically can't make phone calls in my living room since they either don't go through at all or drop after 5-10 minutes. My front room kind of works better, but even that is dropping.

Call them and ask for one.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I was just trying to add a new line to buy a SGS4 but for some reason it won't let me add a new line, just keeps trying to sign me up for a new shared or individual plan, I have one line available (which I click on the Add Device link next to my other lines) am I doing something wrong or will I need to go to Best Buy or a Verizon store to add this?

Forgot to mention I'm on an old family shared plan

BJA fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 30, 2013

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ProjektorBoy posted:

For as long as Verizon keeps its CDMA network alive, Nexus devices aren't going to be coming back to Verizon. What Google & Verizon endured together with the Galaxy Nexus was far too lovely for either company to want to repeat.

I am sure it won't take much for someone to combine the CDMA portion of the stock rom into one of the google experience roms, though.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Mighty Horse posted:

I have never used this one in particular, but wilson stuff in general is very good. They actually build in protections to prevent causing problems with the local signal.

Keep in mind, that no voice goes over 4G, so if you are only boosting 4G thats not going to help with any voice calls.

I'm aware, and they do sell a combo 3G/4G unit as well, though that requires separate uplink antennas but uses a single downlink panel. I have to spend some time roaming around and checking signal strengths, plus decide if it's worth the money. Nearest tower seems to be about 2-3 miles down the road according to the map, but the house is down on a lakeshore, tower is about 50-100' higher in elevation, and there's no LoS to it due to hills. Plus the aforementioned steel siding isn't helping matters. Thanks for the info!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am sharing a Verizon family plan with my father. I received a text from Verizon stating that for $30 dollars I can upgrade my phone early (my Bionic is roughly 18 months old I think?), which is very nice because the next day I lost my Bionic and am now phoneless.

What I was wondering is, when I do this upgrade, I will lose unlimited data and go to a 2g cap. I am okay with that as I don't use much data (~770 MB a month) but my dad insists on keeping unlimited data on his part of the family plan. Will my upgrade also cancel his unlimited data?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

I am sharing a Verizon family plan with my father. I received a text from Verizon stating that for $30 dollars I can upgrade my phone early (my Bionic is roughly 18 months old I think?), which is very nice because the next day I lost my Bionic and am now phoneless.

What I was wondering is, when I do this upgrade, I will lose unlimited data and go to a 2g cap. I am okay with that as I don't use much data (~770 MB a month) but my dad insists on keeping unlimited data on his part of the family plan. Will my upgrade also cancel his unlimited data?

Burning an upgrade on your line will take away only your unlimited, and will not affect his.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

kitten smoothie posted:

Burning an upgrade on your line will take away only your unlimited, and will not affect his.

Okay that's good to know. One more question, will extending my line's 2-year contract also extend his line's contract? It's all one familyshare contract right? So extending one line would automatically extend the other. If his line also gets extended, then he will STILL retain unlimited data until he uses an upgrade? My dad basically never wants to lose his unlimited and he will be willing to just buy off-contract phones at full price to keep it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

Okay that's good to know. One more question, will extending my line's 2-year contract also extend his line's contract? It's all one familyshare contract right? So extending one line would automatically extend the other. If his line also gets extended, then he will STILL retain unlimited data until he uses an upgrade? My dad basically never wants to lose his unlimited and he will be willing to just buy off-contract phones at full price to keep it.

No, even in a family plan, each line is its own contract. Using your upgrade won't touch his contract at all, or mess with its end date. If he is off-contract, using your upgrade will not re-up his.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Ok, our ATT contracts are up as of tomorrow, and we want to switch to Verizon. (It's a better work discount for us using Verizon) We have 2 lines on a family plan.

I have never gone anywhere other than ATT, so this is all new territory for me.

If I want to keep our numbers, I understand they can port them over to new phones right? Do I need to cancel the ATT or is that done when the phone number ports over?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Amethyste posted:

Ok, our ATT contracts are up as of tomorrow, and we want to switch to Verizon. (It's a better work discount for us using Verizon) We have 2 lines on a family plan.

If I want to keep our numbers, I understand they can port them over to new phones right? Do I need to cancel the ATT or is that done when the phone number ports over?

It's cancelled when the numbers port.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Amethyste posted:

Keep in mind too that you'll have to use the new Share Everything plan, and the way discounts are handled (from my understanding) is that it takes it off of the primary phone's monthly access, not the entire bill. So if you have a smartphone it'll be taken off of $40.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
We all (should) know that if you upgrade/sign a new contract, you'll destroy your unlimited data.

So how about if I change my text plan? I might want to go 1000 instead of 250, because my friend likes to send me obscenely long messages in SMS, and I'd like to not have to worry about overages.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr_D posted:

We all (should) know that if you upgrade/sign a new contract, you'll destroy your unlimited data.

So how about if I change my text plan? I might want to go 1000 instead of 250, because my friend likes to send me obscenely long messages in SMS, and I'd like to not have to worry about overages.

Unlimited or nothing I would assume.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mr_D posted:

you can change features without changing your data, but I think they got rid of the 1000 message plan. Now its 250 or unlimited.

EDIT: I just looked on my account (I have the 1000 plan) and my other options were pay as you go or unlimited.

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 3, 2013

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Amethyste posted:

Don't cancel your account before actually going to a VZW store. Your account has to be active to port the number (your At&t account is canceled after you port your numbers and activate them on VZW)

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Athenry posted:

you can change features without changing your data, but I think they got rid of the 1000 message plan. Now its 250 or unlimited.

EDIT: I just looked on my account (I have the 1000 plan) and my other options were pay as you go or unlimited.
The is correct. The 1000 for $10.00 is the only current option besides pay per use or or unlimited. 250 for $5.00, 500/Unlimited M2M for $10.00, 1500/Unlimited M2M for $15.00, and 2000/Unlimited M2M for $20.00 are all grandfathered.

250 for $5.00 is sometimes available as a special save offer but only if you are going to disconnect if you can't have it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lblitzer posted:

Keep in mind too that you'll have to use the new Share Everything plan, and the way discounts are handled (from my understanding) is that it takes it off of the primary phone's monthly access, not the entire bill. So if you have a smartphone it'll be taken off of $40.
I'm pretty sure the discount applies to the Monthly Account Access fee (your data bucket), and not the Monthly Line Access fee ($40 per smartphone). Or it did when Share Everything first came out.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EbolaIvory posted:

Unlimited or nothing I would assume.

Any of the old plans/features (except unl data) are able to be activated on new lines or upgrades through EROS. Limited text is still possible.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm pretty sure the discount applies to the Monthly Account Access fee (your data bucket), and not the Monthly Line Access fee ($40 per smartphone). Or it did when Share Everything first came out.

This is correct

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 3, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SeaborneClink posted:

Any of the old plans/features (except unl data) are able to be activated on new lines or upgrades through EROS. Limited text is still possible.

This is correct

Good to know.

Has the "bill my full price phone and pay 20 more a month for a while" been kicked on yet?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EbolaIvory posted:

Good to know.

Has the "bill my full price phone and pay 20 more a month for a while" been kicked on yet?

If that question was directed at me, my NR doesn't do that.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SeaborneClink posted:

If that question was directed at me, my NR doesn't do that.

It was. I know care said goto a store but I'm sort of chilling out on my s3 anyways. Just curious because my moms gonna want a new iPhone soon and were all on unlimited. Were not against just paying 600 or whatever. Just easier for her to tell dad she "upgraded" instead of "i paid almost 1000$ for phone poo poo today".

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Appreciate the info.

We are figuring out what phone to get now, and who to go through for Verizon to get the phones. (IE Amazon, Costco etc)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Amethyste posted:

Appreciate the info.

We are figuring out what phone to get now, and who to go through for Verizon to get the phones. (IE Amazon, Costco etc)

Amazon & Costco are going to be good bets. Don't count out WireFly either. Don't forget that you're likely to incur a nearly doubled ETF if you cancel within the first few months, as the reseller is going to want their piece too in addition to Verizon.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Costco also has a 90 day return policy on cell phones, whereas the other guys all pretty much only have 14 days. So if you find your phone is a real stinker after two months have passed, you can take it back and swap it.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Is the insurance deductible $200 for a 32 gb iphone 5? I just dropped the phone and shattered the screen. If it's really that much I guess its better just to use an upgrade and get an sg4 since I use google services for everything.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Is the insurance deductible $200 for a 32 gb iphone 5? I just dropped the phone and shattered the screen. If it's really that much I guess its better just to use an upgrade and get an sg4 since I use google services for everything.

Luckily for you, word got out today that Apple will repair broken screens for $150 at their retail locations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fiki posted:

Luckily for you, word got out today that Apple will repair broken screens for $150 at their retail locations.

Wonder how they are going to handle that on phones with dented bands

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Don Lapre posted:

Wonder how they are going to handle that on phones with dented bands

Charge $200

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Which phones on Verizon have an unlocked SIM that can accept international sim cards? Any recent Android phones?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I believe all the global devices are already unlocked for international SIMs, you just can't use domestic ones in them.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When are we getting a worthwhile upgrade over the HD Maxx? My screen's been severely cracked, but I'm wondering whether I should get it replaced or wait out a better phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iPhone 5 has been available since last year.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

When are we getting a worthwhile upgrade over the HD Maxx? My screen's been severely cracked, but I'm wondering whether I should get it replaced or wait out a better phone.

Moto X Phone

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/30/the-moto-x-phone-everything-we-think-we-know/

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I'm biding my time until I don't have an ETF to get off Sprint and move to Verizon...and I'm very curious about the Moto X...

My question is: if I move to Verizon, but bring my own phone, will this keep me eligible for a new device upgrade right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm biding my time until I don't have an ETF to get off Sprint and move to Verizon...and I'm very curious about the Moto X...

My question is: if I move to Verizon, but bring my own phone, will this keep me eligible for a new device upgrade right away?

Yeah, you can bring your own Verizon-branded phone and set up a line of service on it without a contract. You'll be able to sign a contract whenever you want and buy a phone with a discount.

You're throwing away money every month though doing that since you don't get a discount on your monthly service for not being on contract. So you might want to just buy an iPhone with a discount when you sign up, then ebay it and save the money till you're ready to buy the phone you want.

• Locked thread