Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a man a plan a canal
Dec 31, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bang3r posted:

Can anyone recommend me a fast prime to go with this setup? I'll be shooting a lot of gigs in places with lovely lighting generally and kinda want to keep the max at about $700

Drop a buck fifty on the 40/2.8 stm
It's brilliant on the 5d3 and with the high iso capabilities of the camera you're not going to miss the 1.4.
The only con is it looks silly as hell on a gripped 5d3. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Bang3r posted:

So I just bit the bullet and bought a 5dmk3 and a 24-70 2.8 and will be selling my current gear, Currently I use my 50mm 1.8 a lot but I think I'll be replacing this as well, my initial reaction was to keep going big and pick up the 1.2 but I really don't think it'll be needed with the 5d's Iso magic.

Can anyone recommend me a fast prime to go with this setup? I'll be shooting a lot of gigs in places with lovely lighting generally and kinda want to keep the max at about $700

Seconding GBS Till Death, the 40mm is a no-brainer. It does looks fantastically silly on a gripped 5DIII, but in an adorable sort of way. Plus, with the tiny front element and the 5D3 on Stealth mode, you can fire off a good number of candid shots before anyone notices they're being photographed. I just posted this over in the Canon thread, this was taken at a fairly dark gig with the 40mm STM:

One thing about it, and I guess pancake lenses in general, is that because there is very little glass up front, a relatively small fingerprint is going to end up affecting pretty much the entire image. Sometimes I'll grab a shot and notice that it has a hazy look because oops... my thumb accidentally came in contact with the button-sized front element. I don't know if there's a lens hood option for it, but carrying around a microfiber cloth is recommended.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 28, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 40mm 2.8 is cool but Bang3r already has a 24-70 2.8 so it's hardly a fast prime in comparison. If he was looking for a small prime, sure, but I'm guessing something with a faster aperture than 2.8 is the goal.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Sigma 35mm F1.4 A

Anyone with a full frame camera needs this lens.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
On full frame, how big of a gain is 40mm over 50mm? I already have the 50 1.8 II, but the 40mm is so darned cheap.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mightaswell posted:

Sigma 35mm F1.4 A

Don't push meeeeeeeeeee! :mad:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The newer Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS is supposed to be pretty great. At least as good as the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS mk1, but obviously not quite up to par with the newly-released mk2.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 70-200 f2.8 zooms are all characteristically heavy because they need a LOT of glass elements to open up that wide. By contrast, the Canon 70-200 f4L IS is probably on-par with or exceeds the Sigma in terms of sharpness, but will be MUCH lighter and easier to handhold for long periods of time.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mightaswell posted:

Sigma 35mm F1.4 A

Counting down the days until my birthday :coal::holy::dance:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

QPZIL posted:

On full frame, how big of a gain is 40mm over 50mm? I already have the 50 1.8 II, but the 40mm is so darned cheap.

10mm

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

QPZIL posted:

I can't give you actual difference, but it feels closer to 50 than 35.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Shmoogy posted:

I can't give you actual difference, but it feels closer to 50 than 35.

40mm gives a 48.5 degree angle of view.
50mm gives a 39.6 degree angle of view.

On full-frame, mind you.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Mightaswell posted:

Sigma 35mm F1.4 A

Ugh it's about $800 in Aussie money (I'm assuming you mean the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM)
good thing I'm selling my old setup!!

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Bang3r posted:

Ugh it's about $800 in Aussie money (I'm assuming you mean the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM)
good thing I'm selling my old setup!!
It is on par with the Canon equivalent, seriously ~$800 is insane for the quality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

800 Aussie Dollars is like 600 Euros. That's actually hell of a deal, because the prices around where I live are around 800 Euros.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I went in to the camera shop that my buddy works at to pick up a Sigma 30 1.4 for a good price, but then they had none and they are now discontinued.

Bummer. But then again, it was just another lens to carry and $350 not in my pocket. Although Ive been wanting a fast 30 prime for my 50D, I took it as a sign that I will continue to scour the used market for a better deal.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Verman posted:

I went in to the camera shop that my buddy works at to pick up a Sigma 30 1.4 for a good price, but then they had none and they are now discontinued.

Bummer. But then again, it was just another lens to carry and $350 not in my pocket. Although Ive been wanting a fast 30 prime for my 50D, I took it as a sign that I will continue to scour the used market for a better deal.

Both the old and new (ART) versions are definitely still around; the old one may be discontinued but Amazon still has them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

fivre posted:

Both the old and new (ART) versions are definitely still around; the old one may be discontinued but Amazon still has them.

My friend was trying to get me the old (not art) 30 1.4 for $325 new but their store was sold out and couldn't get anymore from Sigma or their other locations. I wasn't really interested in the Art lens but I will probably just try picking up an old used version cheapish.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why wouldn't you want the Art version? First reviews say it's sharper than the old version.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone have any recommendations for a SD card dumper? I race with a lot of people with GoPros/Etc and would love to get copies of their cards after events without having to take a laptop and worry about it all day when I'm not near it.

The device has to leave files intact on the card. Bonus points if it supports USB too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ziploc posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a SD card dumper? I race with a lot of people with GoPros/Etc and would love to get copies of their cards after events without having to take a laptop and worry about it all day when I'm not near it.

The market for these things died out due to increasing flash memory density (larger CF/SD cards means people don’t need to dump and reüse their cards on a trip), the advent of netbooks, and the declining price of laptops. Tablets may have dealt a blow as well.

B&H has a whole category of them here, and they pretty much all meet your requirements, but they’re also outdated and overpriced.

If you do buy one, you can probably get a better deal by buying the device bare and installing a laptop HDD you buy separately.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 29, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Platystemon posted:

The market for these things died out due to increasing flash memory density (larger CF/SD cards means people don’t need to dump and reüse their cards on a trip), the advent of netbooks, and the declining price of laptops. Tablets may have dealt a blow as well.

B&H has a whole category of them here, and they pretty much all meet your requirements, but they’re also outdated and overpriced.

If you do buy one, you can probably get a better deal by buying the device bare and installing a laptop HDD you buy separately.

What the hell is that. Is it some like, secret reverse snipe or fyad gimmick?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Despair posted:

What the hell is that. Is it some like, secret reverse snipe or fyad gimmick?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/04/the-curse-of-the-diaeresis.html

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So basically it's a thing you do when you don't think your readers are smart enough to read words properly?

That's stupid.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Have to admit I've never seen it used in the word reuse before. My first reäction was that it was a simple miss̈pelling, didn't realize it was part of a coördinated diæresis reïmplementation effort.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 29, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

So basically it's a thing you do when you don't think your readers are smart enough to read words properly?

That's stupid.

That is by far the dumbest poo poo I've seen all day, and I just read a bunch of GBS reports, so that's really saying something.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

... reïmplementation ...

Its too bad you can't triple dot the "i" in this one

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Its too bad you can't triple dot the "i" in this one

e:

Even better.

Leviathor fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 29, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Last time this came up the Sanho one with no drive seemed like the best deal.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
So, I've been looking around for a DSLR and I stumbled upon three cameras that I was considering: The Nikon d7000, the cannon t3i, and the Pentax k-30. This is going to be my first DSLR and I'm willing to go up to $700. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pentax k-30 just because the reviews have sold me on it's durability. Also, I've used mostly point and shoot photography and it wasn't until recently that I wanted to go into landscapes and close ups. So any advice would be appreciated before I purchase. Thanks!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a SD card dumper?

Can you just use a phone/mp3 player for this and plug it straight into the camera?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

KingsPawn posted:

So, I've been looking around for a DSLR and I stumbled upon three cameras that I was considering: The Nikon d7000, the cannon t3i, and the Pentax k-30. This is going to be my first DSLR and I'm willing to go up to $700. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pentax k-30 just because the reviews have sold me on it's durability. Also, I've used mostly point and shoot photography and it wasn't until recently that I wanted to go into landscapes and close ups. So any advice would be appreciated before I purchase. Thanks!

I know Pentax dslrs aren't as popular as other options, but if you don't mind the body styling the k-30's an excellent option. Arguably a better sensor than the d7000 or t3i, in body image stabilization, weather sealing, focus peaking for use with old manual only lenses, it seems like a good camera.

But really any option would make an awesome first dslr.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always really liked the Pentaxes but can't use them since I need Nikon/Canon stuff for work. Get the Pentax so I can live through you.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I'm going on a road trip for a few months and living out of a magic schoolbus. What's the most foolproof method for backing up my photos in case my primary laptop is stolen or falls into a lake?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

casa de mi padre posted:

I'm going on a road trip for a few months and living out of a magic schoolbus. What's the most foolproof method for backing up my photos in case my primary laptop is stolen or falls into a lake?

Short term? Some DVDs or BluRay discs distributed to your parents' and cousin's homes, or a storage unit. Long term? Amazon glacier.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

KingsPawn posted:

Go to a camera store and fondle each of these cameras. If the store you go to doesn't have the exact camera, fondle a similar one from the same manufacturer. The control layout, positions of your fingers, and general feel will be different for each manufacturer but not very different between models from one manufacturer.

This is important. Do not rely on a list of features you may or may not actually use, do not rely on recommendations from people who are not you and are not spending your money. Go to a store and pick up some drat cameras!

Personally, I'd go with the Pentax K-30. But I'm biased, because I already shoot Pentax and have a bunch of lenses and accessories for it. If I was starting over today, with that budget, I'd still go with the Pentax because I know it will feel right in my hands - but again, that could be as much because I'm used to Pentax as any weird fit between my hands and the body of the camera. Also, having dropped my camera, other gear, myself, and assorted random objects into pretty much every body of water (from 50ml spills to the Pacific Ocean) I've ever encountered, I know that one feature is of utmost importance to me: weathersealing.

Pentax thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170510
My First DSLR thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533640 (read the OP, it is good)
There are also threads for Nikon, Canon, Sony, and others. Please feel free to fire questions at us all day long, but do go to a store and fondle some gear.

Not that posting questions like that is at all inappropriate (in my opinion) for this thread. You might get more attention and more comprehensive answers in those threads, though.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
Thank you all for your help. All the resources in this forums are really well developed and I'm learning a lot. Again thanks a lot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Think about what you want to shoot before you commit to a system.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

evil_bunnY posted:

Not applicable for Leica.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Is there a thread dedicated to capturing audio? I have a D7100 and I'd like to add an external microphone to it. I will be filming loud things (streetbikes at full throttle very close to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Yea because Pentax cant shoot landscapes, Nikon is incapable of shooting Portraits, and Canon, well that camera cant shoot houses or kids well. If you want to shoot cats, well your out of luck, none of them can shoot cats well.

Also go Fullframe because you cant use wide lenses on crop sensors.

KingsPawn:
Go with any of the 3 cameras you mentioned. The Pentax on paper is nicer than the other 2 but the only thing that you really need to do is go play with each one to see how it fits your hands and has menus, buttons, knob placement that you can live with. Ergonomics plays a pretty big factor.