Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

thebardyspoon posted:

I had no idea the Jason Todd Red Hood had so many fans.

And it's not because he's a particularly good character either. This sums it up well enough.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Pretty much, if you've ever read or even watched Under the Red Hood, it's really easy to hate Jason because he does the most scummy poo poo and then tries to justify his lovely actions, but the fanbase makes him out to be this troubled character and it's huge because he's basically the Sasuke of Robin's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

thebardyspoon posted:

I had no idea the Jason Todd Red Hood had so many fans.

It's not really surprising. Given that he's another Batman character, he's the most dark Robin, and his movie was really well received and loved by a lot of people, even the ones who've never actually read Under the Red Hood. I'm almost entirely sure it's more of the later than the two former since the movie was surprisingly popular and most people probably have never been exposed to Red Hood Jason Todd before that movie.

Ghostpilot posted:

Especially since the fans hated him enough to vote to have him killed in "Death in the Family." I'd figured that Power Girl would've been a shoo-in; shows what I know. :shrug:

Power Girl's gonna be in, her initials were in that leak for the second round of DLC characters along with Red Hood Robin and she won the vote for the most popular female character. They probably put in Babs before her because they planned to have her in from the start and already did most of the work on her. The second DLC pack seems more like fan favorites if the leak about it is true.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

thebardyspoon posted:

See I think Power Girl is exactly as strange a choice since she's relatively obscure (never been in a cartoon, is usually in the JSA rather than the Justice League, etc) and her power set is pretty basic. Everyone has favourites obviously though which probably influences what they feel is a proper choice and Netherrealms will probably make everyone fun to play so it doesn't really matter in the end.

But she's so pretty!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would be happy to see Power Girl if

a) she was a Grappler with some weird air stuff
b) she was the Alex Ross version without the boob window (i.e. a female bodybuilder/powerlifter build)

Neither of these things will happen, so let's go Swamp Thing!

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
I thought it would have let up by now but people still quit on me all the time: http://youtu.be/yvsb7UMBv2k Why go random if you're gonna be a baby?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IronMcHardSteel posted:

I thought it would have let up by now but people still quit on me all the time: http://youtu.be/yvsb7UMBv2k Why go random if you're gonna be a baby?

At this point now I consider every rank match rage quit a personal victory.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My new favourite thing to send to ragequitters is a :getout:.

Thankfully, nobody has gotten the reference yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yardbomb posted:

And it's not because he's a particularly good character either. This sums it up well enough.

I don't know what a Sasuke is. Can't we just call him Shadow the Hedgehog?

Anyway I think even if Red Hood had 0% of the votes, they'd probably put him in anyway, because he's exactly the kind of character Netherrealms loves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's the Final Fantasy protagonist of DC characters.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How do we know they didn't just make up the poll results to fit the characters they were already planning?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How's the game on ps3? both performance-wise and active population?
Also, is it as fun as mk9?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spacebump posted:

How do we know they didn't just make up the poll results to fit the characters they were already planning?

I voted for Zatanna and it counted my vote for Hulk Hogan. :(

(Did I already make this joke?)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Honest Thief posted:

How's the game on ps3? both performance-wise and active population?

I haven't had a single problem performance-wise outside of like 1-2 freezes after a patch, which was apparently happening on both systems. There's tons of people to play with, but it's still a pretty new game so that's expected anyway.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Spacebump posted:

How do we know the poll has any influence on future DLC and isn't just a marketing stunt?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The most important dlc question: where the gently caress is my 70s Green Arrow skin

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spaceman Bill posted:

The most important dlc question: where the gently caress is my 70s Green Arrow skin

I hope it changes the win pose, but only if you beat Green Lantern - Green Lantern stands up, says "Sure you've beaten me, Green Arrow, but what are you going to do about THIS?" and gestures toward the viewer. Green Arrow looks out of the screen at some off-camera tableau and exclaims, "My ward...is a JUNKIE?!?!" The win pose then loops on GA's shocked expression.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I hope it changes the win pose, but only if you beat Green Lantern - Green Lantern stands up, says "Sure you've beaten me, Green Arrow, but what are you going to do about THIS?" and gestures toward the viewer. Green Arrow looks out of the screen at some off-camera tableau and exclaims, "My ward...is a JUNKIE?!?!" The win pose then loops on GA's shocked expression.

I'd be absolutely down with this; along with Joker getting a new win animation vs Red Hood in which he viciously beats Jason to death with a crowbar.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think a lot of people expecting unique win animations for certain DLC are underestimating the work required for NRS to implement since the only unique intros and win poses come from Regime Supes and Yellow Lantern. Either that or NRS is just being a really slack in that department.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

I think a lot of people expecting unique win animations for certain DLC are underestimating the work required for NRS to implement since the only unique intros and win poses come from Regime Supes and Yellow Lantern. Either that or NRS is just being a really slack in that department.

Then make it so that everybody beats Jason Todd to death with a crowbar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AndyElusive posted:

I can almost guarantee you they gave Regime Superman the win animation he has just so they can reuse it for Zod, so don't expect that to remain unique for long.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

This is also a valid solution.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

Interesting "behind the scenes" info: the way that NetherRealms does the characters is that each character + outfit combination is it's own character; to the Injustice engine, Boss Grundy is as distinct from the basic Solomon Grundy as Superman is from Green Lantern.

Frankly I think it's a terrible way to go about doing it, but it does allow you some advantages: namely, that each character costume can potentially get a specific win pose/voice/intro because they are, in effect, all different characters with shared movesets.

Now I admit I've never made a fighting game, but I can't imagine animating an 8 second win pose (particularly one that doesn't interact with any other character) is a lot of work compared to balancing moves, tweaking frame data, etc. But what do I know? (nothing)

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Now I admit I've never made a fighting game, but I can't imagine animating an 8 second win pose (particularly one that doesn't interact with any other character) is a lot of work compared to balancing moves, tweaking frame data, etc. But what do I know? (nothing)

Entirely different people would be focused on that balancing work than those that would be animating a winpose so that's a terrible comparison anyways. Depending on the winpose, they also need to make new assets like in Doomsday's, even if that is a small map that can either be rapidly loaded or is located far away offscreen on every stage.

Animation work is also pretty long in general! Stuff that can reuse animations already made or use very little animation like Batman's win pose is ideal to make the process shorter, but I don't know how much of the former is actually done.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I also know absolutely jack poo poo when it comes to making games. I also know it doesn't seem like much work or that it would be extremely difficult for them to do.

I just can't think of many reasons why NRS wouldn't have included more unique pre and post fight animations. They're clearly aware of the history that each hero and villain has with one another when all the unique clash dialog are considered. So if it wasn't more difficult than simply throwing in a few short animations with voice overs here or there then what's holding them back from doing so? I can only assume it's a lot more complex than we think.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 28, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
It could also be a dumb thing to spend time and money on when you need to spend that animation effort on the remaining DLC characters that aren't finished yet and possibly the rumored second season pass's 4 DLC characters too. Wasting money on pointless stuff is a pretty bad way to make a profit.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I just can't think of many reasons why NRS wouldn't have included more unique pre and post fight animations.

I assume they were too busy with the enormous amount of content that did make it into the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They put most of their animations budget into the story mode after the gameplay and everything was finished which is probably why. They gave Superman a unique one for Zod who they planned on adding as DLC later and Yellow Lantern gets one for story reasons. I mean it's pretty clear and simple, more pre and post fight animations for whatever skins are abritrary things compared to the ones for actual gameplay and story mode stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

To clarify, I'm in no way making a fuss about the lack of win poses and intros. My assumption was there's more to the lack of them than NRS just being lazy. Everything posted so far by you guys are all reasonable explanations why no one here should expect anything of the sort from future DLC.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah me neither. But the good news is, all those win quotes and clash dialogue and poo poo can be one of the areas they improve in Injustice 2: We Did a Good Job the First Time, Here's More Cosmetic Stuff for you Comics Fans.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I like being a hero :madmax:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

No. Every character should slowly, and completely expressionless, clip through Jason Todd with no recognition of his existence or ever being there. :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

sentrygun posted:

It could also be a dumb thing to spend time and money on when you need to spend that animation effort on the remaining DLC characters that aren't finished yet and possibly the rumored second season pass's 4 DLC characters too. Wasting money on pointless stuff is a pretty bad way to make a profit.

Boon actually adressed this (sort of) on his twitter

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/338153199343120384

And man, can't wait for beating people with Jason :allears:

Captain combat bear
Aug 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Boon actually adressed this (sort of) on his twitter

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/338153199343120384

And man, can't wait for beating people with Zatanna :allears:

Fixed that for you.

:smith:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
So I still have an unused 360 Arrow code I'm willing to part with in exchange for a $10 Steam gift.

Look like a brooding teen drama star with hilariously mismatched lines! Amaze your friends! Resell it on eBay for a profit for all I care!

PM me or email at (edited)

It's taken! Thanks for the quick response, goons!

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 29, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So, character reveal today? Who wants to bet it's BS? I'm 50/50 right now

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Liar Lyre posted:

So, character reveal today? Who wants to bet it's BS? I'm 50/50 right now

I think the reveal mentioned in the leak was actually supposed to take place yesterday, which it clearly did not. I still think the last two characters for the first season pass are the ones in the rumor, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, it's pretty safe to say that the remaining characters are the ones that were leaked a good while ago. Can't wait to see Scorpion, that's gonna be interesting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If the rumours are at least somewhat true about Zod then I'll be more interesting in seeing how his trait plays out and if we can damage his summons at all.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Would Blackheart from MvC2 be considered a "summon" character?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

kaujot posted:

Would Blackheart from MvC2 be considered a "summon" character?

Not really. I think Jill would fit the bill better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If Martian Manhunter's trait is not the ability to see your opponent's button presses a la training mode I'm going to be very disappointed.

• Locked thread