Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

goobernoodles posted:

First time dog owner here. Just picked up this guy today:

I'm not entirely set on what I want to name him, but... Kirby seems fitting. He's a Formosan Mountain Dog and Shepherd mix, brought over to Seattle (Salty Dog Rescue) from Taiwan. He's pretty anxious and shy, but very well mannered and seems like he's pretty smart. It's cool seeing how much he's changed in one day. I gotta train this little guy.

Sup new dog buddy. I picked my rescue up today too! She's approximately 7 months old and allegedly housebroken. Here's mine:

Here's my issue: the first day at my house she took around 5 pretty huge shits, mostly in my house. They were all fairly runny and smelled absolutely foul. This isn't my first dog and I'm sure these weren't normal dog shits. Her stomach was also making lots of noise.

I'm wondering if this is a benign thing due to stress of relocating from shelter to home and/or transition to new food or if it could be a vet issue. Is there a rule of thumb for distinguishing between adjustment and medical issue or is it just use common sense and take her to the vet if she's still having the same issues 2-3 days later?

Obviously, the "in my house" part is my fault for giving so much credence to the shelter's assertion that she's house trained, so I'll be more vigilant about timing and rewards. I charged the clicker today, so I'll start working it into house training.

edit: I also checked her poop for worms. Fortunately, she was clear on that end. She's also current on her vaccines. The other potentially pertinent thing is that she was spayed relatively recently and hasn't finished her antibiotics. Could the antibiotics be messing up her GI tract and causing the terrible poops?

Omerta fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Omerta, it's likely just a stress/new food thing. Make sure you clean up after her in your house with an enzyme cleaner, and get her on a schedule asap. Take her out every couple of hours to toilet. Dogs can be housetrained but regress a little in new and stressful situations. Personally I would still get her a vet appointment in the next couple of days, just to check up on everything.

Is it normal/ okay for dogs to lie down with their legs kind of splayed out in front of them? Lola never lies down like that, and neither did Jess, but Kalli often lies with her elbows kind of set out in front of/beside her. (Wow that is hard to explain.)

She also often moves both of her back legs simultaneously, like a bunny hop. Lola has always done that and I once got it checked out, but apparently that's normal too?

I don't want my puppy to break omg :ohdear:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Not sure about the elbow thing, but I've always interpreted the bunny hopping with the back legs as indicative of unbalanced structure and perhaps discomfort. I think ideally you want to see puppies trotting with a nice extended gait as they move. Maybe other people can chime in with their 2c. Nothing to get too worried about now though. Keep tabs on it as she grows.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hahaha, it's the start of day 4 and this morning I opened her crate and she just looked at me, said "whatever", and went back to chewing on her zebra :3: So much progress.

Fraction, that's how Sivvy sits too sometimes.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got a picture of the leg thing:

When I took Lola to the vets (checking for luxating patella at the time, because she started doing it at ~6 months old) he just said it was something that some dogs do. I'll keep an eye on her though!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sivvy sits like this

Also you guys, holy poo poo. Literally. It's day 4 and Sivvy had some ferocious diarrhea but what does she do? Poop all over the house or deck? Nope, she runs down the STAIRS, not even the ramp, and lets loose all over the proper area. Those cheese dogs did the trick in making her ok with the stairs, though it seems they took their toll on her digestive system. Still, I am so happy she is getting it so fast.

Then she tried to wipe her rear end on the gravel. Didn't work out so great.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie occasionally sits like this

He had his first vomiting experience since we got him yesterday, chicken rice & peas everywhere (we'd gone to a dog friendly cafe with a dog menu).

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle lays like this a lot and so far as I am aware he is fine (horrible quality pic but it gets the point across):

...I don't even know

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My puppy was exposed for the first time to a big bbq in our backyard. I had her out the whole time and she did great, and even with all the excitement and distractions she went potty down the stairs all by herself again. It's going so well!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Fraction posted:

Omerta, it's likely just a stress/new food thing. Make sure you clean up after her in your house with an enzyme cleaner, and get her on a schedule asap. Take her out every couple of hours to toilet. Dogs can be housetrained but regress a little in new and stressful situations. Personally I would still get her a vet appointment in the next couple of days, just to check up on everything.

Is it normal/ okay for dogs to lie down with their legs kind of splayed out in front of them? Lola never lies down like that, and neither did Jess, but Kalli often lies with her elbows kind of set out in front of/beside her. (Wow that is hard to explain.)

She also often moves both of her back legs simultaneously, like a bunny hop. Lola has always done that and I once got it checked out, but apparently that's normal too?

I think it was stress. She did a lot better today; she started playing with some toys I got her and became a bit more extroverted. I'll keep an eye out to see if she has diarrhea again and ask the vet if it persists. She needs to go in for flea treatment and her final vaccine around June 1, so if it persists I'll schedule an appointment for this week instead of next week. Thanks!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

The bunny hop is probably due to her age. It's normal for puppies but not for older dogs and it's definitely a cause for concern if a dog didn't do it before and has now started to do it. Sukka is now 10 months and is kind of growing out of his hop at the moment. He has a nice trot, but when he gallops it's usually both back feet moving simultaneously until very recently (or unless he's going very fast).

I'd wager her floppy elbows are due to her being very young, immature and flexible. I call Sukka the puppy a rubber chicken with hair because he's ridiculously bendy.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet, but I am a dog sport sperg and went to a seminar on normal dog movement not too long ago and then promptly took Sukka to a PT to be checked out because of bunny hopping and silly sitting poses. Diagnosis: normal puppy with a nice structure in the making. Treatment: balance and core strength exercises, give it time.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 27, 2013

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

It always sorta blew my mind that there's just a bunch of muscles connecting the front legs of 4 legged animals to their bodies that support the entire body (even in big animals like cows). You can lop off a leg off a four legged animal with a really sharp knife and one big cut, basically. Rupture of the serratus ventralis muscle is pretty rare, but there are some pics floating around of a cow with it that I can't find atm. I'd assume the dogs are just sitting weird because they're dogs and dogs are weird, unlike cats (the superior animal).

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Enelrahc posted:

because they're dogs and dogs are weird, unlike cats (the superior animal).

#24 on my list of Scary Things You Don't Want To Hear From Your Vet.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Aravenna posted:

Quaffle lays like this a lot and so far as I am aware he is fine (horrible quality pic but it gets the point across):

...I don't even know

:psyduck: That looks so uncomfortable, lol.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

a life less posted:

#24 on my list of Scary Things You Don't Want To Hear From Your Vet.

Fortunately enelrahc is not planning on doing any dog/cat medicine at all.

Anyway dogs also assume that abducted elbow posture when they are having some amount of respiratory difficulty, similarly to how we bipeds lock our elbows flexed and extend shoulders either over our heads or with hands propped on knees to 'catch our breath' after a run that taxes our cardiovascular system. Apparently the posture recruits accessory chest/neck muscles that allow greater expansion of the trachea and lungs to get more air in.

And bunny hopping gait can be a sign of neurologic incoordination. Of course, puppies exhibit all kinds of signs of incoordination because they are not really coordinated yet so it can be pretty normal in them!

And fraction your dog is not in respiratory distress it's probably just a puppy being a puppy so please no freaking out.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll just keep an eye on her/see if it changes. For bunny hops in adult dogs - Lola only does it occasionally, usually on leash first thing in the morning whilst walking to the field. I figured it was her back end moving too fast for her front (she's hardly amazingly built or anything). :shobon:

Topoisomerase posted:

And fraction your dog is not in respiratory distress it's probably just a puppy being a puppy so please no freaking out.

:sweatdrop: I was practically hyperventilating until this point lmao

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Is there a trick to making sure your dog is socialized with other pups before he/she has had all of the recommended vaccines?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Black Dynamite posted:

Is there a trick to making sure your dog is socialized with other pups before he/she has had all of the recommended vaccines?

Let it play indoors and in private yards with dogs that you know are vaccinated. You're mainly worried about parvo which can live in dog poop for up to a year so keep the puppy away from public parks, etc.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Ikantski posted:

Let it play indoors and in private yards with dogs that you know are vaccinated. You're mainly worried about parvo which can live in dog poop for up to a year so keep the puppy away from public parks, etc.

This is all correct, but at the risk of nit picking, this is also vague. You want to match dogs together that are good playmates. If one dog is pretty shy, you don't want to match it with a rough housers. You're not socializing your dog by going and hanging out at a friend's place who just happens to have a dog.

Black Dynamite the trick is to be going to a puppy socialization or kindergarten class from a qualified training facility. Typically they require that you have the first round of shots on your puppy (which, if you haven't done yet, you shouldn't have the dog) and they'll require proof of such as well as continuing proof that you're staying on schedule with the boosters as you continue to come to class every week.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

This is Gibbs! (And some bonus "I'm too lazy to crop" foot action for you freaks out there.) He's our new puppy. He's a 3 month old lab/pit mix. We adopted him this weekend and just brought him home from the shelter today. He's super playful and our other dog- a 4.5 year old lab mix- has taken to him well. This is my first puppy. Our lab was a year and a half old when we got her. He's a little bitey right now, and that concerns me. I saw the biting section in the OP, but he's really not chomping down where we can "yelp".. it's more he's just toothing us, and it's not like he's doing it once and he's done, he's nibbling over and over rapid fire. It wouldn't hurt if his little teeth weren't like needles. We have been doing something a friend showed us with her dog (which, knowing Goons, I'll probably be told is the worst possible thing I can do)- grabbing his snout and holding it shut when he tooths us and giving him a firm "No". It seems to be getting the point across. Is this the wrong thing to do?

Side note- he's laying across an entire AC vent soaking up all the cold air. Kid's going to be spoiled rotten.. :allears:

TShields fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 29, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Instead of holding his mouth shut, try giving him a time out. Some dogs (not all) will develop a mistrust and aversion to hands if handled in such a way. Negative punishment in the form of The Fun Stops Now can be equally effective if you're consistent, without the fallout. Good luck!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

My dog has separation anxiety. I haven't had this problem with other dogs. Is the general wisdom to leave the dog outside or in a different room for increasing amounts of time? I just bought a crate today and she's ok with it (rescue), but not attached to it.

My plan was to put the crate in my room and crate her for increasing increments of time. I'm home pretty much all day studying for the bar exam, so I was planning to start with small amounts of separation and work my way up. Anyone advise differently?

She's amazing, but she's glued to my side 24/7, won't eat unless I'm in the room, freaks the gently caress out when I get back, and will whine/scratch for about 30 minutes after she's by herself. I've been taking her on very long walks, playing with her, and giving her plenty of toys/stuff to chew, so exercise isn't the problem. One other thing: she doesn't know basic commands yet. I saw some sites suggesting using increasing distances for sit/stay to help with easing separation anxiety. I'll definitely do that when she learns those commands.

edit: also, separation anxiety explains the bad poops/breaks in house training that I posted about earlier.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Omerta posted:

My dog has separation anxiety. I haven't had this problem with other dogs. Is the general wisdom to leave the dog outside or in a different room for increasing amounts of time? I just bought a crate today and she's ok with it (rescue), but not attached to it.

My plan was to put the crate in my room and crate her for increasing increments of time. I'm home pretty much all day studying for the bar exam, so I was planning to start with small amounts of separation and work my way up. Anyone advise differently?

She's amazing, but she's glued to my side 24/7, won't eat unless I'm in the room, freaks the gently caress out when I get back, and will whine/scratch for about 30 minutes after she's by herself. I've been taking her on very long walks, playing with her, and giving her plenty of toys/stuff to chew, so exercise isn't the problem. One other thing: she doesn't know basic commands yet. I saw some sites suggesting using increasing distances for sit/stay to help with easing separation anxiety. I'll definitely do that when she learns those commands.

edit: also, separation anxiety explains the bad poops/breaks in house training that I posted about earlier.

Other people will have actual advice, but you've had the dog for like 3 days. She just came in from the shelter and isn't sure if you're going to abandon her forever when you leave her. Some of this will need training, but time and an established routine will help your dog figure out that when you leave her by herself for five minutes so you can loving pee that she doesn't need to claw at the door in a panic while crying. In a few weeks you may well be able to revel in the glory of taking a shower in a bathroom that has no other occupants. Be patient.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

I'm sick of combing through Amazon reviews, so I ask PI: what enzyme cleaner has worked the best for urine? Especially in concrete? Puppy has figured out that peeing in backyard = treats, but sometimes she can't make it all the way and goes in the driveway, especially when her dipshit owner leaves the yard gate closed, and that combined with Texas heat has the back patio smelling like a kennel. I've been scrubbing with Natures Miracle which helps, but only the original formula. I also ordered a UV light to see what I've missed. I tried a couple of the Pet smart and target brands and they are utterly useless. Is there something that is like, beyond Natures Miracle but won't bankrupt me?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Have you tried scrubbing with a bleach and water solution?

For my back yard (concrete), I just use a no-brand pine scented disinfectant. Works like a charm.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

This is going to sound crazy, but is there any feasible reason why my little puppy I mentioned a few posts up would be already house trained? We had zero accidents last night, and he would whine and walk towards the back door when he wanted to go out. He would immediately potty as soon as he hit grass. The pup is 3 months old and was at an animal shelter for the past two weeks. I've known adult dogs with less effective bladder control. He's also great in a crate while we're eating or sleeping- not that we're doing that permanently, just while he's still getting used to the house and doesn't want to be in our laps 24/7. Did we win the puppy lottery? :pray:

chigz
Apr 1, 2010
We have two cats and two dogs, one dog recently adopted, and I'd like any advice on how to help them get off on the right foot. It's hard to pick out anything useful from most websites I've seen since they're peppered with dominance theory stuff(FEED ALPHA FIRST, DO NOT PITY BETA MALE, alpha roll scruff shake all day every day).

Anyway, here's the gang so far:
Schmitty, a 7 year old miniature schnauzer. Honestly I never would have considered owning a dog like him but we agreed to foster him for a friend because said friend's kids were being little shits to the dog and I am a sucker. We have since decided to keep him. He's very well trained and socialized. Also, dat mustache. :3:

Ollie, the recent adoptee, an 8 month old mix of... something short. He's affectionate and frisky, but his previous owners did absolutely no obedience training with him. He is supposedly crate trained, we'll find out tomorrow when his new crate arrives. I've started clicker training with him and it's going very well, and thanks to the house training guide in this thread he's only had one accident indoors. He's overall friendly but has displayed some minor resource guarding and sometimes barks at new people and most dogs we see on walks. I assume because they are unfamiliar and thus scary. Documents from his time in the shelter made note of him being fearful in the past, but it had improved.

Tag and Phineas, about three years old, both boys. Tag is the orange tabby, Phineas is the fluffy black cat. Tag is very friendly and open to new situations, so he adjusts more quickly and socializes with the dogs. He was playing with and grooming Schmitty within a few days of him coming home, and now he's doing the same with Ollie. Phineas is more timid, and spends all his time either on counter tops/the cat tree swiping at dog noses with impunity, or bolting from room to room which of course makes the dogs want to chase him. He and Schmitty are fine, Ollie hasn't had a chance to really have much interaction due to the bolting. On leash and with lots of treats and praise, Ollie has great manners with Phineas. This only lasts a minute or so before Phineas says "well gently caress this and gently caress you" and hides, so progress is slow. I don't want either of the dogs to chase him and stress him out. Whole lotta leash wearing in this house.
The cats have several places they can go to be alone without the dogs being able to follow, so there's that at least.

We did a meet and greet at the shelter with Ollie and Schmitty that went very well. I'm doing the basic things to prevent potential upsets between them, like separate feedings/treats and letting them both calm down in separate rooms if they seem too worked up. They play together very well for the most part, but I made the mistake of letting them both have toys outside. Ollie loves playing with them and tries to get Schmitty interested in tug or chase games, but Schmitty usually drops the toy within a minute or two and just barks at/nips at/charges at Ollie for Doing Things. He also charges at him and barks at him inside if he doesn't like Ollie playing with Tag or getting attention from me, or running too fast or breathing wrong. Also on the first day Schmitty tried humping Ollie. LOTS of humping. Ollie didn't like it but thankfully that's mostly stopped. For the most part though, without toys in the mix, they either nap together or wander around together nicely. I give lots of treats and praise for good behavior around each other. I also try to give them equal amounts of one on one time from me, and have walked them separately.

I understand it will take time for them to get used to their new routines, but is there anything else I should be doing, or doing differently? Is there an easier way to make Phineas more relaxed, like feliway maybe? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks for reading my novel of a post.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

TShields posted:

This is Gibbs! (And some bonus "I'm too lazy to crop" foot action for you freaks out there.) He's our new puppy. He's a 3 month old lab/pit mix. We adopted him this weekend and just brought him home from the shelter today. He's super playful and our other dog- a 4.5 year old lab mix- has taken to him well. This is my first puppy. Our lab was a year and a half old when we got her. He's a little bitey right now, and that concerns me. I saw the biting section in the OP, but he's really not chomping down where we can "yelp"..

Go back and read the OP again in regards to mouthing/biting. The advice there actually states that while many people do recommend the yelp, my experience with a lot of puppies has been that it doesn't work very well. I recommend tethered time outs (meaning you walk away and they are unable to follow) as ALL suggested. In regards to your housetraining stuff, I'm not that surprised. House training is stupidly easy and the majority of the problems people experience are of their own making. They aren't sticking to a routine or a schedule that their dog can handle, they're not being consistent on direction, etc. Occasionally the dog is suffering from a UTI or some other kind of bladder issue, but it's not that common.

chigz posted:

Ollie, the recent adoptee, an 8 month old mix of... something short. He's affectionate and frisky, but his previous owners did absolutely no obedience training with him. He is supposedly crate trained, we'll find out tomorrow when his new crate arrives. I've started clicker training with him and it's going very well, and thanks to the house training guide in this thread he's only had one accident indoors. He's overall friendly but has displayed some minor resource guarding and sometimes barks at new people and most dogs we see on walks. I assume because they are unfamiliar and thus scary. Documents from his time in the shelter made note of him being fearful in the past, but it had improved.

Uh.... Did you adopt Ollie from the Boulder Humane Society? I was in doing volunteering on Sunday and they had a dog that looked just like that, named Ollie, who I saw a lot of dog reactivity from. If so, hit me up - contact info is in my profile.

EDIT: HA! Holy poo poo, that's neat, I just saw your post here. He definitely has some Corgi in him, having seen him in person. I'm not really qualified to help you with the cat introductions, but I would strongly recommend you play a lot of Look At That with Ollie and other dogs on the street. If you don't see some improvement, I'd head back to BHS and enroll in a Grumpy Growlers class as well.

MrFurious fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 29, 2013

chigz
Apr 1, 2010

MrFurious posted:

Uh.... Did you adopt Ollie from the Boulder Humane Society? I was in doing volunteering on Sunday and they had a dog that looked just like that, named Ollie, who I saw a lot of dog reactivity from. If so, hit me up - contact info is in my profile.

Yes I did, on Sunday afternoon in fact! My husband and I may have seen you there. I don't use AIM but you can email me at millionthsarah@gmail.com. I'd really appreciate any info you have.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

TShields posted:

Did we win the puppy lottery? :pray:
It is possible. My first puppy was actually fool proof at seven weeks. She just didn't want to do her business on anything other than grass or gravel and would scratch the door, day or night, to rouse me and take her out.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
About 6 months ago I got given a dog that had come from a home that abused her, left her in a backyard that was the size of a carpark. They often didn't feed her and other wonderful things with makes me excruciatingly angry.

I never knew her original name, so I named her Leela. She is an Australian Kelpie and I believe she is cross whippet. Anyway, initially she was a bit of trouble, as she ate the couch (yeah, the whole thing) and anything else she could get a hold of, but after a few months with me she has become my best friend. She is fantastic, and really very smart. It took a little while to get her eating under control, but she is right as rain now, and very happy to have a massive yard to run around in.

Anyway, this is more of an excuse for me to post pics!

and this is her having a crack at her toy, Kong.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Other people will have actual advice, but you've had the dog for like 3 days. She just came in from the shelter and isn't sure if you're going to abandon her forever when you leave her. Some of this will need training, but time and an established routine will help your dog figure out that when you leave her by herself for five minutes so you can loving pee that she doesn't need to claw at the door in a panic while crying. In a few weeks you may well be able to revel in the glory of taking a shower in a bathroom that has no other occupants. Be patient.

Point taken. I haven't had a dog for seven years and I'm so stoked to have a dog again :unsmith:. I want to make sure I'm not encouraging excessive dependence or separation anxiety -- just trying to err on the side asking for second opinions.

I signed her up for a positive reinforcement class! We'll see how good of a student she is starting on Saturday.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Are any of the little classes PetSmart offers worth it? Our local PetSmart is pretty well run, and I knew a girl who taught some of the classes years ago and she was pretty sharp, but if I didn't want to waste the money if they're worthless.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

It depends a lot on the individual store's trainer(s). In my opinion, they're better than nothing, but there are normally other better options out there like facilities that specialize in training.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's all about the trainer. Most PetSmarts have a puppy orientation class for new dog owners (free with their puppy pack which is a good deal if you plan to shop/visit their services often) and you can interact and ask questions of the trainer to get a feel for it.

Anecdotally, we had a great trainer at our local store. Very big on positive reinforcement and very patient with Linus. He also always asked how things were going at the beginning and let us vent/ask unrelated questions about dogs in general.

My only critique was that it was an on-leash class (though the trainer would often let the dogs socialize for the first five minutes or so while just dragging their leashes). However, we always followed up with practice at home off-leash just to be sure.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
After very recently reading a story about a French Bulldog puppy who was killed by a Petco trainer who lifted the puppy off the ground by its neck, I never recommend big box chains for training, socialization, any of the above. Yes, the stores are trying to make the shift away from "punishment-based" training, but they don't have any actual requirements in terms of the people they hire, there's no certification process (which is a whole other huge kettle of fish within the industry that our company is going to be lobbying for), and there's no guarantee that the trainer at any particular store isn't going to be doing something harmful or undesirable.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ButWhatIf posted:

After very recently reading a story about a French Bulldog puppy who was killed by a Petco trainer who lifted the puppy off the ground by its neck, I never recommend big box chains for training, socialization, any of the above. Yes, the stores are trying to make the shift away from "punishment-based" training, but they don't have any actual requirements in terms of the people they hire, there's no certification process (which is a whole other huge kettle of fish within the industry that our company is going to be lobbying for), and there's no guarantee that the trainer at any particular store isn't going to be doing something harmful or undesirable.

Maybe it's different for Petco, but our Petsmart trainer definitely went through a certification process and is pretty qualified to train dogs. You're right that there's no guarantee that the trainer will be any good though. I guess the best bet is to try to get a sneak peek at the trainer going through a class or something.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

ButWhatIf posted:

The Petsmart near me has a new "trainer." I was surprised to see this person teaching there, because he has worked at this Petsmart for probably 7 or 8 years, giving terrible advice about everything in every department at some point. He went to college with a high school friend of mine, and apparently he dropped out and just kept chugging away at his retail job and is still there. He has *no* background in anything animal related and has literally never even owned a dog. It's like he just was there for so long they were finally like "welp, wanna train some dogs??"

He most likely will just follow a script and be pretty inoffensive, but he's not going to have a clue what to do if anyone hits the slightest bump in their training and I think it's pretty unfair to market it to people as though they're getting advice from an experienced professional and not some doofy burnout college kid.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Had my first private training session with Sivvy today, the trainer gave me an A+++ on my preparation, my untrained technique, and my dog's skills. Very reaffirming.

However, I forgot to ask her about ideas to prevent my dog from eating wood chips. The wood chips in the house are way off in the corner and in just one place of the house. I've put up a kiddy door in the way to prevent her access to that area, but it's going to be pretty annoying for the humans living in the house, and someday when I remove it she may go right back to them.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

A disturbing trend we've noticed is that our little guy keeps wanting to go eat what essentially amounts to mulch in our back yard. Like, beelines for it. He'll go pee, then he'll go start gnawing on a finger-sized chunk of wood. So we'll go over, pull it out of his mouth, and he'll run grab another, and the cycle continues. And now he's gotten to the point where he wants to do that instead of finishing all his business and he'll take a dump on the floor. The yard is fenced in, so we've been letting him roam with the other dog, but now I've started taking him out on a leash. Even then, he'll do nothing but run for the mulch, get pulled away, run at a different angle, get pulled away, run find a weed or something to gnaw on, get pulled away.. it's madness. He wasn't like this 2 days ago. Help?