Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The new xbox sounds dumb, but I'll probably get it. As long as the kinect stuff isn't required to actually do anything with the console. If I can still use my controller to get around the interface and get into forza, I don't mind. If the kinect is required to be installed, I'll just plug it in and then put it inside a box so it can't look at me.

My only requirements are:

Open wheeled vehicles
The ability to use my current wheel (even if I have to plug it in with USB)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Hahaha the GT6 v. FM5 purse fights are starting? Goddamn, I thought that poo poo stopped in the 90s. Trailers don't mean poo poo and just buy whatever game you like.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Falken posted:

Say what you want of Polyphony, but this makes me want their game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlaBkpi7vCI

A varied selection of cars driving around various tracks, showing off weight shifting and tire flex, all with mostly realistic camera angles. Everything is calm and controlled.

Compared to the Michael Bay mess Forza 5 got with 2 supercars driving it like they stole it with gratuitous slow motion effects, and impossible to attain camera shots.

After shelling out the cash for a ps3 and gt5 that trailer realy hasnt convinced me that PD are capable of making a fun game instead of a horrible mess of menus, loading screens and grinding. Oh realy bad engine sounds too.

To be honest i'm hopeing that project CARS is gonna be awesome and I can just update my pc instead of having to bother with consoles anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eEjRPEmKzA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

anime and cars posted:

After shelling out the cash for a ps3 and gt5 that trailer realy hasnt convinced me that PD are capable of making a fun game instead of a horrible mess of menus, loading screens and grinding. Oh realy bad engine sounds too.

To be honest i'm hopeing that project CARS is gonna be awesome and I can just update my pc instead of having to bother with consoles anymore.

God drat, I haven't been following pcars this year at all, I didn't realize the game had gotten this good looking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are times when playing project cars when it hits the uncanny valley and looks real for a couple seconds.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

anime and cars posted:

:monocle:

Ignore what I said about GT6 being a backup option, this looks incredible!

I'm really worried that the new Xbox won't support my current Fanatec wheel.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Jarf posted:

:monocle:

Ignore what I said about GT6 being a backup option, this looks incredible!

I'm really worried that the new Xbox won't support my current Fanatec wheel.
pCARS is full of classic racers, including 1980 Zakspeed Ford Capri.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Falken posted:

pCARS is full of classic racers, including 1980 Zakspeed Ford Capri.

Aye, I noticed the Capri in the trailer posted above. It coincided with the moment my monocle was jettisoned from my eye!

In addition, have a video of my tremendous performance in SAEG's last Clio Cup spec race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqcRbF9MEfw

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jarf posted:

In addition, have a video of my tremendous performance in SAEG's last Clio Cup spec race.

As soon as the pack entered the chicanes in the back and the camera angle changed, I knew not everyone was leaving wheels down. Nice to see a year and a half after launch, that curb is still turning cars over.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

Aye, I noticed the Capri in the trailer posted above. It coincided with the moment my monocle was jettisoned from my eye!

I warned you about springrates bro!

The only reason i managed to win most of the races in that was because when I did the setup on the clio, I made sure the springs were soft enough to ride over the curbs without flipping.

But then it wasnt enough to overcome this! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFIeVcYQ7Y0

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Basticle posted:

Since no one has responded, is next Tuesday evening good for you guys? That works for us.

Can I* get a recap of the rules? Just stock cars right?

*Hi, I'm Bentron

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

burtonos posted:

Can I* get a recap of the rules? Just stock cars right?

*Hi, I'm Bentron

Basticle posted:

Hi there, I'm Basticle (GT Basticular) and I run Club [PA], from the Penny Arcade forums. Like I told GentlemanofLeisure I was inspired to come up with this, strangely, by the Ping Pong tournaments the guys behind Penny Arcade play against other Seattle game companies. They have a mini tournament within their company before each match to determine rankings and they face off against the guy whos ranked the same on the other team and then tally up individual wins to determine which team wins the match.

Without further ado,

Club [PA] versus Club [AUGR] One on One Tournament

Our two clubs will face off against each other in a best of seven tournament.

Each club will determine their seven best drivers and rank them 7 through 1. Each driver will face off against their counterpart from the other club.

Each club can determine their internal rankings as they see fit. Wheather it is an intra-squad tournament or a vote or whatever is up to you.

The fourteen total drivers will assemble in a lobby at a predetermined time. Only the two drivers of a given rank will race at the same time, the other drivers will spectate.

Each individual competition will be a best two of three heats. Each heat will be 5 minutes on a Timed Race. This setting will remove the small advantage of the car who starts ahead of the other as scoring is based on distance travelled, not who crosses the line first.

After the first heat, a second will be run. If a driver has won both of them than we will move on to the next round. If the heats are tied one to one then a third will be run to determine that round's winner.

After all seven rounds of competition, whichever club has won the most rounds will be determined the overall winner.

The Races

Each individual competition will be with a specific car and track in increasinly faster cars. Upgrades and tuning will be set to stock. This is to make a level playing field.

Each club is encouraged to paint their cars however they see fit though having a uniform club livery would be nice ;)

(I tried to go for some variety of types of cars. Also DLC cars were specifically avoided. Also I have been called a monster by my own clubmembers.)

Lobby Settings

Game Type: TIMED RACE
Environment, Track & Track Conditions: specific to race
Max Players: 16
Max AI Players: 0
Laps: specific to race'
Racers Car Class: Any
Host car class: Any
Drive Type: Any
DAMAGE DIFFICULTY: SIMULATION
Collision Mode: ALWAYS ON

Scoring Type: DISTANCE TRAVELED
Bigger is Better: Yes
Compare Best Lap Scores: No
End Condition: TIME
RACE LENGTH: 05:00
Grid Ordering: RANDOM
Per-Car ROll Off Delay: 0 Seconds
Number of Player BUckets: 2
Score Buckets Independently: YES
Groub By Bucket: YES
Tag Enabled: No
Number of Heats: 1
Number of Teams: None
End of Race Timer: None

Force Team Colors: No
Force Stock Upgrades and Tuning: Yes
Force off Suggested Line: No
Force off STM: Yes
Force Off TCS: Yes
Easiest Braking Allowed: ABS On
Easiest Steering Allowed: Normal
Easiest Shifting Allowed: Automatic
Forced Camera View: None
Disable Wrong Way Indicator: Yes

Bucket Name: Racers
Roll Off Delay: 0s
Min Players: 0
Max Players: 16
Allow Upgrades: No
Everything else: ANY

Bucket Name: Host
Roll off Delay: 10s

Since the host can't spectate, they will be put into a seperate bucket that starts behind the other two and then will have to drive off the track

*edit* as far as time, 9PM EST is when we usually get together, day of the week is flexible, we usually meet on thursdays as that seems to work out best for the most people.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Five minutes in a Mantide, I might as well crawl into my dryer and start practicing right now.

See you boys tomorrow night!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Are there any rules in place as far as clean vs dirty laps are concerned?

Also on Alps I suggest the host parks on the left side of the start/finish straight as there aren't a lot of runoff areas and the racing line is on the right side of the track in that section.

The Audi is actually a lot better to drive than I expected. However, the guy I'm racing is roughly the same speed as someone I'm familiar with so looks like ill have my hands full.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Are there any rules in place as far as clean vs dirty laps are concerned?

uh, no specific rules but I would think most people would not intentionally go off course but hey it is the Alps, so whatever

quote:

The Audi is actually a lot better to drive than I expected. However, the guy I'm racing is roughly the same speed as someone I'm familiar with so looks like ill have my hands full.

I find this amusing as ebo is a recovering Gran Turismo player and has only had Forza since January. Hes gone from awful to kicking most of our asses in 5 months.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This is what happens when I have a 4 day weekend and nothing to do.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

BTW since no ones actually said snything, what time tonight are we doing this? 9pm est is best for us but we're flexible.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I'd say 9 should be ok. I think we might need one or two stand ins, I know Tanz-Kommandant (fax piss) was going to sub in for one of our guys.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'll sub for a second guy if the need arises. Gives me an excuse to drive the SSC :hellyeah:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Who is hosting this shindig?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

burtonos posted:

Who is hosting this shindig?

Probably me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'll put up a private lobby at like 10 till and invite my guys and Gentleman and he can invite the goons.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
We need one stand-in driver.

e: filled

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 29, 2013

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Came down to the wire

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I got ahead of myself in that stupid car so fast :(

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thank you to those who took part, and thanks to Basticle for setting up and running this competition. It seemed like everyone had fun and maybe next time SA will come out ahead.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

If there's any way that [SAEG] could also be involved next time that would be :krad:; p. jealous over here in Europeland.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

burtonos posted:

I got ahead of myself in that stupid car so fast :(

GTCC could have been 2 for 2 but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Also thanks Basticule, next time I'll try to make it to quals :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Scatterfold posted:

If there's any way that [SAEG] could also be involved next time that would be :krad:; p. jealous over here in Europeland.

Its mainly those crazy moon hours on a weekday that stops us!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

anime and cars posted:

Its mainly those crazy moon hours on a weekday that stops us!

I suppose this is one of those reasons for setting up 'custom rivals'. Would be neat to do something GTCC v. AUGR v. SAEG v. GISH or whoever else.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

I suppose this is one of those reasons for setting up 'custom rivals'. Would be neat to do something GTCC v. AUGR v. SAEG v. GISH or whoever else.

I've always thought this would be a fun idea. Only problem is submitting times. If your time set is not a personal best, a replay has to be saved and put on your storefront. If you guys want to suggest some car/track combos I will set this up to run for two weeks from June 1 thru June 14. If no one replies ill assume its stupid and no one is interested.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

A few times in the past ive done a hot lap in a car (that i tuned to my preferences of course) on a particular track and put that car in the club garage. Then challenfed my club to race against my ghost on the leaderboards with the vague hope of winning a prize there was no prize.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah that doesn't work as well when there are people in different car clubs participating. I guess storefront tunes could be used but allowing people free choice of cars within a certain pi limit seems like a better option.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I would like to to a custom rivals type event, but as i don't have xbl it would need to be a stock car, i thikn SAEG have been doing this (but with garage cars).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Well, with Forza 5 on the horizon (no pun intended), perhaps a "Road to 5" series of challenges. There's roughly 7 months to go, and 10 classes, so perhaps we can do a bi-weekly challenge to give everyone a chance and to avoid crowding up the weekly races.

I'll do some poking around, maybe pick the 'gooniest' cars from each class, and try a spec/stock series.

Though if we did a weekly, we should have enough time to basically do every "environment" before F5's release.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I wish the servers were still operational, for I still have Forza 1 sitting on my desk.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

http://forzagoons.tumblr.com

Due to popular some demand, I have come up with a series of Goon Rivals events. The events will be run in two week periods with two events each. There will be a total of five sets of events, with each car class represented once (except X999 which I left out).

Scoring will be counted the same way it's counted on the FM4 Rivals events. Clean laps will be scored ahead of dirty laps. To submit your time, you can take a picture of your screen with a camera or cell phone and post it here or send it to me in a PM, or you can save a replay on Forza and send it to me (GT: whatcubed3), or if your time was a personal best then tell me what position on the leaderboard it's at and I can verify that way.

I will be curating two leaderboards:
- Individual - A list of all drivers from fastest to slowest
- Club - Clubs will be ranked based on the places of their drivers.

Rankings will be kept on http://forzagoons.tumblr.com and at the end of each event a leaderboard will be posted in this thread.

The Events June 1 - June 14 @ 10pm Eastern US Time

Get your times in now!

Upcoming events
- E @ Maple Valley Short, S @ Infineon Nascar
- D @ Road Atlanta Club, R3 @ Mugello Full
- C @ Sedona Club Reverse, R2 @ Le Mans la Sarthe
- B @ Nurburgring Nordschleife, R1 @ Road America
Specs won't be revealed until the rivals events change weeks

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 1, 2013

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My vote for future challenges: All Nurburgring Nordschleife, All The Time

(nice little event, make sure to keep the lower class stuff in there! You should keep separate boards for controller and wheel users.)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Ether Frenzy posted:

(nice little event, make sure to keep the lower class stuff in there! You should keep separate boards for controller and wheel users.)

Some of the best hotlappers on SA are controller users. (see: L Harrison) There's no need for separate boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Controller users are usually faster. I'm kind of slow with a wheel but I use it because it's more fun.

• Locked thread