Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Hey I think you've got the right reasons, but since you're obviously willing to move why not Alberta or Saskatchewan?

Sorry in advance if you've already looked and the military was the best option for the field you're very interested in.

Edit: As for the recruiting process, when I was getting in I had the same problem and tried lighting a fire by calling a larger recruiting center and telling them how unimpressed I was with the smaller recruiting center's performance. I had my medical four days later and an invaluable introduction to the world of passive-aggressive administration!

Saskatoon has the largest legal marijuana growing and processing facility in Canada, too - it's in the research park right next to the U of S :science:

(I only know this because one of the Cpls at my unit works there :ssh: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremy360
Jul 24, 2007

swagger like us posted:

To be fair, the old express test was a dumb method of training general military fitness. I dont recall where I did a pushup in the field, nor where the majority of my lifting/strength happened to be from my triceps and pecs. The new FORCE test seems a bit more "realistic" as to what one actually does in the field. I know plenty of strong, fit guys who just because they don't do pushups in their regimin, suffer on their PT test.

I'm actually a fan of the FORCE test, I've seen it done and have a dummy run coming up in the next few weeks. With ONE standard for everyone, my fellow twenty-something males should have nothing to complain about.

I'm about as purple as purple trades get, but everyone that wears a uniform should be readily deployable. I'll always breeze through pushups/pullups as I have no body mass to speak of...but that never meant that I was actually fit. The BFT, for all its faults, was half decent as well. There are guys twice my size that are in excellent shape, and people around my weight that are winded by a flight of stairs.

At least the days of categories based on BMI are gone. My grandfather was tough as nails, but missed his deployment to the Pacific because he was "too small to be a sapper."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Everyone in the CF should just have to get 15 on Cindy. :colbert:

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012
If everyone should get 15 on Cindy, then there'd be no one to do your claims, fix your trucks, give you your socks, etc. because they'd all be in the gym working out 3 times a day to get fit enough.

Sadly, not everyone is as awesome as Cbt Arms.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

CumshotCommando posted:

If everyone should get 15 on Cindy, then there'd be no one to do your claims, fix your trucks, give you your socks, etc. because they'd all be in the gym working out 3 times a day to get fit enough.

Sadly, not everyone is as awesome as Cbt Arms.

Being as purple as I am I have to ask: Who is "Cindy"?

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012
Hahaha. I'd do Cindy. We did Cindy on Friday...

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

Good times. Did Fight Gone Bad this morning.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CumshotCommando posted:

Hahaha. I'd do Cindy. We did Cindy on Friday...

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

Good times. Did Fight Gone Bad this morning.

Men will die for points.

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012
Fact. However, the CANFORGEN that came out earlier this year stating that Crossfit as it causes Rhabdomyolysis and the CF is going to step back from it.

Shame. It got some fatties in my Platoon to take a good hard look at themselves and start improving their health.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I got the xtreme activity brief last year and asked if we were barred from doing them. As the answer was 'no', I went along on my merry way and didn't let some higher-level CYA rip me apart from my gainz.

Fakedit:

CumshotCommando posted:

...CANFORGEN that came out earlier this year stating that Crossfit as it causes...

That crossfit what? THAT IT WHAT??!?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

I got the xtreme activity brief last year and asked if we were barred from doing them. As the answer was 'no', I went along on my merry way and didn't let some higher-level CYA rip me apart from my gainz.

Fakedit:

Meh in 2008 I followed the mainsite WODs for ten days and it gave me a pretty wicked case of the rhabdo. I was in the hospital for a week and almost died. Whatever, news flash: don't PT yourself to loving death and you won't die.

I just don't understand the extreme activity moratorium. Does this mean that we will no longer be doing extreme training? Since we can't do extreme training, should we tone down all of the extremeness of our operations since we train how we fight now? Does this seem absurd to anyone but me?

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
The issue was people not certified cross-fit instructors running pt sessions and as a result people are getting hurt. The CF is liable for these injuries the same way having a guy not qualified on a weapon teaching others how to use it.

No one is going to stop you, on your own time, from doing crossfit; you just aren't allowed to run a group PT session of it unless properly qualified to do so.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Could be but I'm chair force so nobody does PT anyways gently caress gently caress the police :siren:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Guest2553 posted:

Could be but I'm chair force so nobody does PT anyways gently caress gently caress the police :siren:

Ha I've never seen more people do PT on their own than I have since I've been in the AF. That's in addition to the two days a week of mandatory that people look forward to. You also get a free pass to the local rec center (unit is not on the main base). The fitness level of people at the squadron is so much higher than the local navy schlubs it's astounding. Could be a west coast thing, but the sailors are here too so maybe not. I presume those guys are mostly just depressed with their lot in life.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have details on the recent CANFORGEN regarding Class A enrolment in the public service health plan? I heard from my chain that the lowest tier cost would be about $40, but haven't gotten the details.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

Ha I've never seen more people do PT on their own than I have since I've been in the AF. That's in addition to the two days a week of mandatory that people look forward to. You also get a free pass to the local rec center (unit is not on the main base). The fitness level of people at the squadron is so much higher than the local navy schlubs it's astounding. Could be a west coast thing, but the sailors are here too so maybe not. I presume those guys are mostly just depressed with their lot in life.

Hell, even us lowly civies working through DnD at 4 Wing get free passes to the local rec center.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 19, 2013

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

Fakedit:

Caught me. I forgot how to English.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Barrakketh posted:

The issue was people not certified cross-fit instructors running pt sessions and as a result people are getting hurt. The CF is liable for these injuries the same way having a guy not qualified on a weapon teaching others how to use it.

No one is going to stop you, on your own time, from doing crossfit; you just aren't allowed to run a group PT session of it unless properly qualified to do so.

Except no one ever expects anyone to be qualified to teach PT. I don't know what Unit you are at but I have never seen that.

Also LOL at being a "certified" crossfit instructor makes you qualified at anything. Since when does a person being qualified or not exempt the CF from covering injuries of participants?

The people that get rhabdo are usually stupid anyway. You don't get rhabdo by loving accident, you have to try pretty drat hard to get it.

Crossfit can be good and it could be implemented well, if anyone knew what the gently caress they were doing, taking a crossfit lvl 1 seminar is not the way to do that. Even this "tactical athlete" garbage is brutal. lovely instruction, constrained by stupid policy that is wrong and not much is actually taught. Not to mention the DFIT site. Jesus.

It's not really a wonder there is a whole lot of unfit people in the CF, it's because even our "expert" staff of PSP don't even really understand fitness.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Elgar posted:

Except no one ever expects anyone to be qualified to teach PT. I don't know what Unit you are at but I have never seen that.

It's not really a wonder there is a whole lot of unfit people in the CF, it's because even our "expert" staff of PSP don't even really understand fitness.

None of that actually matters to the head shed, of course. If the guy leading the exercise has the tick in the box that says he's qualified, then if somebody gets hurt nobody in his chain will get in poo poo for authorizing or endorsing a great evil backalley training regimen, notwithstanding that the "authorized PT" is led by a "loving idiot". If guys are told to go to an organized PT thing led by someone who isn't qualified and one of them winds up in the MIR, someone's getting poo poo on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

Except no one ever expects anyone to be qualified to teach PT.

What about all that PT instruction training we get on CAP/BMOQ-L/PLQ? I thought the intent there was to qualify junior supervisors to teach PT.

I mean sure, it's loving stupid, but the expectation is that after that course, you are trained to improve the fitness of your soldiers. They explicitly told us that at the time.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Except Crossfit is as faddish as you can get nowadays and most sport scientists, strength & conditionning coaches and journals don't think its an effective thing for fitness. Athletic training is stupid without periodization, and using the SAID principle (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands). Im sure theres some Crossfit out there thats actually structured well, but unfortunately most CF people who get attracted to it are only attracted to it because they think that because its SO HARD and makes you fuckign PUKE, GET SOME, GET SOME. Doing some random WOD each day, and it being only constructed because of how hard it is isnt the way to make a PT plan.

That being said, Ill admit, its more challenging and fun to do some type of circuit training/crossfit whatever than all the stupid 10k jogs every stupid course I've been on puts you through. You know what 10k jogging gets you good at? Doing 10k jogs. Who gives a gently caress. If you wanna improve conditionning, there's much better and more challenging things to do thats actually fun. Hell, playing a game of soccer is probably better conditionning than jogging because at least its entertaining.

Theres been generations of sports scientists in football, rugby, wrestling etc. that know ions more about physical fitness and conditionning than crossfit "lvl 1 certification" (which literally means you give up $1,000 and get a piece of paper. Doesnt mean poo poo).

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 21, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

swagger like us posted:

don't think its an effective thing for fitness

Well there's a difference between effective and efficient. I mean, inneffective things for fitness are things like sitting at a desk, driving a car, and other sedentary things. I'm pretty sure you could do literally anything to (A) raise your heartrate for like 20 minutes a day that (B) doesn't injure you very quickly and you will have a positive response in terms of "fitness". Most iterations of CF will meet A but fail B, but so will many versions of training in many sports. Just look at the injury rates for running, for instance.

As for building efficiency in a training plan for 30 different people, that's really a tall order and you'll never make everyone happy. It should be seen as a positive step to make incremental changes toward functional programming in our organizational PT plans. All disagreements are really matters of definition in that case.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
You know what sucks big sweaty meaty day old boners? CFB Gagetown. I've been pulled over twice this month for no reason other than it's kinda late. Plus, all the reservists are swarming this shithole and if you don't show up for breakfast before all the courses there's a line a hundred people deep. It's always raining and lovely outside and when it's warm black flies swarm you like you're drenched in honey. I'm thinking of up-armouring a D7 Dozer and going Killdozer on this base.

Oh, and all the bars are packed with stupid new guys in basic training t-shirts and PT shoes. Not cool dudes. There should be a briefing immediately after you graduate basic where they tell you how not to look like such a stupid new guy. Basic style shaved head, PT shoes and HARDCORE CF CANEX TEE is not a good look for anyone.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No it's a great look. Lets you know who to avoid.

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012
It sounds like you've been in Gagetown for a few years now.

Samu posted:

You know what sucks big sweaty meaty day old boners? CFB Gagetown. I've been pulled over twice this month for no reason other than it's kinda late. Plus, all the reservists are swarming this shithole and if you don't show up for breakfast before all the courses there's a line a hundred people deep. It's always raining and lovely outside and when it's warm black flies swarm you like you're drenched in honey. I'm thinking of up-armouring a D7 Dozer and going Killdozer on this base.

Oh, and all the bars are packed with stupid new guys in basic training t-shirts and PT shoes. Not cool dudes. There should be a briefing immediately after you graduate basic where they tell you how not to look like such a stupid new guy. Basic style shaved head, PT shoes and HARDCORE CF CANEX TEE is not a good look for anyone.

I see you're loving being posted to a training base. There are days when I hate being on Ex NEVER-ENDING RAM 13 and TF NO-ONE CARES 13, but then I realize I'm not teaching at Gagetown or Borden or Wainwright or Meaford and suddenly my day gets better. What is it with new recruits and reservists and that sense of entitlement or importance? How come that isn't beaten out of them at graduation or Class B/C?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I was in Gagetown for a year when I was in training/on PAT, now I'm back for a 6 month heavy equipment course. I'll probably get back to Edmonton then turn right around and come back for another 3 months on my 5's. The course is awesome but this base is horrible. If I was posted here permanently to the school I'd probably pull pin and go work in the oil sands. Losing my PLD/LDA and having to live here would be depressing. I'd take a posting to Wainwright over this place because at least I could keep my house in Edmonton and I'd probably get a lot of stick time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yes but then you would be living in Wainwright and I would with no lie rather be posted to Alert than Wainwright.

gently caress Wainwright so hard.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does anyone know what's going on in this picture?
I'm pretty sure that boat isn't ours, and I haven't heard anything about amphibious training.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A year or two back I heard mumbling about an amphibious unit starting up in Halifax. So there might be truth to the rumour

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pufflekins posted:

A year or two back I heard mumbling about an amphibious unit starting up in Halifax. So there might be truth to the rumour

We sent a bunch of folks to the Expeditionary Warfare School in Quantico a few years ago. The old Adjt of the Infantry School was one of them and gave us a briefing on it. Sounded pretty sweet and that might be a photo from their training.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

Does anyone know what's going on in this picture?
I'm pretty sure that boat isn't ours, and I haven't heard anything about amphibious training.

quote:

MAYPORT BEACH, Fla. (April 25, 2009) Canadian Army soldiers assigned to Alpha Company, 3d Battalion, 22d Regiment of Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force-24 depart a U.S. Navy landing craft air cushion (LCAC) and deploy onto Mayport Beach during a Unitas Gold amphibious assault exercise. Maritime forces from Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Germany, Mexico, Peru, U.S., and Uruguay are participating in UNITAS Gold, which provides the opportunity to conduct and integrate joint and combined land, maritime, coast guard and air operations in a realistic training environment. The exercise is taking place April 20-May 5 off the coast of Florida. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by CWO2 Keith A. Stevenson/Released)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

tuyop posted:

We sent a bunch of folks to the Expeditionary Warfare School in Quantico a few years ago. The old Adjt of the Infantry School was one of them and gave us a briefing on it. Sounded pretty sweet and that might be a photo from their training.

Expeditionary Warfare School is a book learning school for captains.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veins McGee posted:

Expeditionary Warfare School is a book learning school for captains.

Oh, well the subject of his briefing was the whole amphibious unit in Halifax and amphibious ops so I don't know what he did.

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, that's about right ub. Every few years, NEO Coy of 2VP goes to Hawaii/Florida/sunny, warm beaches with beautiful women to train with the Marines. As well, R22R is the lead Regt on littoral and amphibious ops. Don't really know what goes on out at Valcatraz, other than they don't speak English and apparently have a penchant for drugs guessing from the hot pissers.

CumshotCommando fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 26, 2013

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

tuyop posted:

What about all that PT instruction training we get on CAP/BMOQ-L/PLQ? I thought the intent there was to qualify junior supervisors to teach PT.

I mean sure, it's loving stupid, but the expectation is that after that course, you are trained to improve the fitness of your soldiers. They explicitly told us that at the time.

wow....... no.

You think instruction by a bunch of people teaching "sports science" that is outdated by 20 years is supposed to make you effective?

Sure there's an intent, but it is horribly executed.

swagger like us posted:

Except Crossfit is as faddish as you can get nowadays and most sport scientists, strength & conditionning coaches and journals don't think its an effective thing for fitness. Athletic training is stupid without periodization, and using the SAID principle (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands). Im sure theres some Crossfit out there thats actually structured well, but unfortunately most CF people who get attracted to it are only attracted to it because they think that because its SO HARD and makes you fuckign PUKE, GET SOME, GET SOME. Doing some random WOD each day, and it being only constructed because of how hard it is isnt the way to make a PT plan.

Theres been generations of sports scientists in football, rugby, wrestling etc. that know ions more about physical fitness and conditionning than crossfit "lvl 1 certification" (which literally means you give up $1,000 and get a piece of paper. Doesnt mean poo poo).

Yeahhhh, there isn't really a point in periodization until there is an effect when doing it. For most untrained people (people in the army) there isn't much point. This is because guys in field units especially always become detrained, because they go to the field. Crossfit is a bit retarded in some ways, but in other ways it's good. It's good if you have someone that knows what they are doing actually lead it, instead of "hey guys just saw this new thing called crossfit let's do FRAN!" Uh ok, how do these guys do a thruster? How do they do pullups properly?

The problem is, in the army, everyone thinks they know what they are doing when it comes to Physical Fitness when most people don't have a loving clue what they are doing. I've taught hundreds of people in the army already and 98% of them think it's totally cool to lift weights in runners. This is basic poo poo guys don't know, because no one teaches them nor do they bother to learn and because hey! I'm good at running I'll make everyone do that. Well thanks for continuing the cycle of ignorance.

There is a science to conditioning and actually understanding physiology helps tremedously.

This is turning into a goddamn rant. My point is, people think this poo poo is so easy and simple and it's not. You have to train people properly and the CAF in no way trains anyone to do so properly. Even the PSP have a hard time teaching the basics properly. I'm not saying I know everything, not by a long shot. However, when being mostly self taught, I can correct a PSP staff multiple times on fitness that's pretty brutal. Just because it's not easy doesn't preclude people in a position of authority from not learning it. It's frustrating because everyone says physical fitness is important but never devotes any time to actually learning about it. I've heard so many people advocating smith machines I want to bash my loving skull in.

Also, Maple Resolve blows nuts as an Exercise.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I did PT with dumb infantry people for 6 years and I never saw anyone (myself included) have issues with it outside of getting bored doing tons of 10ks or just being plain out of shape.

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012

Elgar posted:

Also, Maple Resolve blows nuts as an Exercise.

HAHAHA. Yes. That's all I've heard out of Wainwright so far. That and Col Anderson's fired some OCs and CSMs from the Rum-Int.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wainwright is a terrible place and everything that happens there is also terrible.

No exceptions

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

acumen posted:

I did PT with dumb infantry people for 6 years and I never saw anyone (myself included) have issues with it outside of getting bored doing tons of 10ks or just being plain out of shape.

Why would you have issues with it if you never knew of a better way to train?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Qualified for both my chosen trades on the aptitude test today. So excited! :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Qualified for both my chosen trades on the aptitude test today. So excited! :holy:

That'll fade. Then you'll just be be like the rest of us.