Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I don't like Chris G because he seems like an rear end in a top hat. I like watching him play Marvel, but absolutely think he's an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Dunno, guess I just don't see what you're seeing then.

Ed:

Neenski posted:

When he and Jwong got poo poo on for pot splitting at Texas showdown, he pretty much told everyone to go gently caress themselves. That, and him calling Mr Wizard a fag to an admittedly sick :iceburn:.

I admittedly thought he was right on the first one. And the EG guys were pot-splitting monsters when they were still winning games but aside from some complaining in stream chats at the actual time of the finals it never seemed to spill over much. Not that I think pot splitting is great or anything but I think it's up to the organizers to take a stand on that. Money in the FGC is already scarce, not really going to hang it over someone's head because they decided to take the guaranteed money doing something that isn't even illegal under most tournament rules.

Second one was bad but like I said, he's not doing that poo poo constantly or anything and I'm not prepared to completely write someone off because of a really dumb thing they said in the heat of the moment while everyone else takes their shots for losing a single set.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 28, 2013

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006
When he and Jwong got poo poo on for pot splitting at Texas showdown, he pretty much told everyone to go gently caress themselves. That, and him calling Mr Wizard a fag to an admittedly sick :iceburn:.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
As good evidence as any that more money is poison for fighting games.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
ChrisG has said some rude/dumb poo poo I really dislike, but so have players I really like. My only animosity towards him is because he plays the most lame team.

Him skipping Evo would be pretty drat unacceptable though. He's not reigning Evo champ, but is undisputed king of Marvel right now. It's to the detriment of the community for him to deny other players the chance to take him down. He owes it to the community to put it on the line so he can cement his position at the top or we can watch him tumble down a peg.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I wonder what his sponsor would have to say about him skipping out? He's their best player by far. I don't think they would like him skipping out on the biggest event.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I honestly think it's just that there are too many majors now. It's starting to feel like there's one every other week. You can't really attend all of them across the country, play every game, and still have a 'real' job. Heck, I can't even watch all of them without screwing myself over.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Eh, I wouldn't take it too seriously, he's probably just burnt out. I remember last year PR Balrog saying he was taking a long break after Evo, and that never really made any difference.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mango sentinel posted:

Him skipping Evo would be pretty drat unacceptable though. He's not reigning Evo champ, but is undisputed king of Marvel right now. It's to the detriment of the community for him to deny other players the chance to take him down. He owes it to the community to put it on the line so he can cement his position at the top or we can watch him tumble down a peg.

If anything him having a little trouble in recent tournaments makes Evo Marvel that much more exciting. Can Chris G put together some new tech/refine his old tech and retain his throne? Will someone else come out with some new crazy team, or take Zero May Cry/Dieminion's V-Joe/a different Morrigan team/whatever the hell Justin's trying to run all the way? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z at Evo!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
EVO is gonna be kind of a cluster gently caress for Marvel again so I can understand not wanting to deal with that.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Perhaps being Marvel Evo champ would have a little more prestige if the last two champs hadn't immediately stopped winning anything after their wins. At least for SF4 Infiltration is still the guy to beat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Filipino champ probably could've won a few tournaments after Evo if he just actually used the team that won it instead of that Phoenix poo poo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Double Bill posted:

Perhaps being Marvel Evo champ would have a little more prestige if the last two champs hadn't immediately stopped winning anything after their wins. At least for SF4 Infiltration is still the guy to beat.

Different reasons though. Viscant got shafted by the system and character nerfs, Champ is just being stubborn.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Viscant got second at Season's Beatings to Flocker, which was pretty much the only big vanilla tournament after Evo (that I can think of, at least). Champ still does fairly well but after Evo is when Chris really started dominating. I don't think it's completely fair to say that the Evo champs haven't done anything after winning. Hell, Chris probably would have won Evo if he didn't have that hard tag-brain fart in losers finals against Champ.

I'm with Mango Sentinel in thinking that Chris should go because he's the best UMvC3 player in the world. He should go to the biggest tournament to prove it, or so that the winner can say he won with Chris in the tournament whether or not he beats Chris along the way.

Out of curiosity, has there been another case of a player that has dominated like Chris not going to Evo? The closest thing I can think of would have been Justin not going during MvC2, but Justin never missed Evo.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Besides non-Americans having visa issues, none that I can think of.

troofs fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 28, 2013

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

It's to the detriment of the community for him to deny other players the chance to take him down.

Maybe that's his reason.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Sonata Mused posted:

The other ones I remember clearly are when he complains that he doesn't get enough "special treatment" at tournaments. That, purely by virtue of his e-celeb status, that he should be able to register whenever/not need a badge/show up late/not pay for things.

Not going to say that ChrisG doesn't say dumb things on social media, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of fanatiq, here, who is more or less in his own league of idiocy in this department.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
With the caveat that Fanatiq isn't even that successful in Marvel (or at all in other games).

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

iPodschun posted:

Out of curiosity, has there been another case of a player that has dominated like Chris not going to Evo? The closest thing I can think of would have been Justin not going during MvC2, but Justin never missed Evo.

Justin also dominated mvc2 a lot harder than Chris does at mvc3.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

animatorZed posted:

Not going to say that ChrisG doesn't say dumb things on social media, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of fanatiq, here, who is more or less in his own league of idiocy in this department.

Nah Chris has complained about getting DQ'd from tournaments for not showing up on time. A lot.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
All this talk about why ChrisG might skip Evo and nobody's mentioned the fact that Evo runs PS3 Marvel?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

MrXmas posted:

All this talk about why ChrisG might skip Evo and nobody's mentioned the fact that Evo runs PS3 Marvel?

He said it has nothing to do it, but it's worth noting. PS3, 2/3 in pools, winner can switch order, etc. EVO Marvel rules are awful.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 28, 2013

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

animatorZed posted:

Speaking of the devil, he's streaming now chatting about some problem with Keits and issues with Knives leading up to some poo poo with Fanatiq and Keits or something: http://www.twitch.tv/mrfanatiq

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Brett824 posted:

He said it has nothing to do it, but it's worth noting. PS3, 2/3 in pools, winner can switch order, etc. EVO Marvel rules are awful.

What does "winner can switch order" mean?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ToastyPotato posted:

What does "winner can switch order" mean?

If you win a game, you can change your team order before the next game (but you cannot switch characters). The loser can switch characters.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
-crofts beat me to it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Brett824 posted:

Just curious, as I've recently gotten back into fighting games again, but why do most tournaments run 360? Is it just because more people have a 360 over a PS3?

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Just curious, as I've recently gotten back into fighting games again, but why do most tournaments run 360? Is it just because more people have a 360 over a PS3?

Capcom are really bad at making games so the PS3 versions of Marvel and AE are noticeably worse than the XBox versions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Because 360 is better for less lag, but Evo runs PS3 because it's sponsored by Sony.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Tae posted:

Because 360 is better for less lag, but Evo runs PS3 because it's sponsored by Sony.

This isn't a myth either, the lag on ps3 is definitely noticeable, even on the simple stages people select to reduce it.
Its also not lag as in "input delay" but more like actual dropped frames which is erratic and inconsistent to account for.

That said, there might also be differences in input delay as well, but I'm not 100% on that. The screen used will usually have a larger effect on this.
Technically, input delay can be accounted for on combos, although it can still mess you up. Input delay completely screws with reaction time though, which is awful for fast paced games.

Online marvel has heaps of both :)

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

iPodschun posted:

For some non-Marvel games yeah, US would field their best but the dominant japanese players wouldn't attend. Best example I can think of is CVS1 where chikyuu entered the tournament just because (was considered an average CVS1 player, he was there for Alpha 3) and won. or when top japananese ST players wouldn't fly over.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Didn't a guy called Tomo completely dominate old, old school SF2?

edit: who didn't go to Evo. Ignore me I can't read.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

For some non-Marvel games yeah, US would field their best but the dominant japanese players wouldn't attend. Best example I can think of is CVS1 where chikyuu entered the tournament just because (was considered an average CVS1 player, he was there for Alpha 3) and won. or when top japananese ST players wouldn't fly over.

Japanese anime players also didn't really come to American tournaments. So Daigo won Evo Guilty Gear twice (while his team got 3rd in the first SBO with nothing after that), and the top 8's were filled with players like Mago and Tokido, who while excellent players in multiple games aren't really known for GG in Japan. At least RF was there multiple times blowing himself, winning in 2005.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Dias posted:

With the caveat that Fanatiq isn't even that successful in Marvel (or at all in other games).

That's not true though

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Didn't a guy called Tomo completely dominate old, old school SF2?

edit: who didn't go to Evo. Ignore me I can't read.

Tomo the one true god. yes. dont think evo was a thing in his heyday. he was in the true old school FGC

oh people were talking about virtua fighter the other day
well the NY VFDC crew has a weekly stream...its on now http://twitch.tv/nyc_vf some of nyc's long time vets. sometimes we get new people too.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 29, 2013

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I think Tomo stopped playing seriously when SSF2 came out. That was way before Evo was a thing (I think it probably predates B3 as well). He's part of the same generation as Mike Watson and Jeff Schaefer. Who's the oldest active player right now, Valle?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Watson still goes to tourneys I'm pretty sure.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Mr. Fun posted:

I don't like Chris G because he seems like an rear end in a top hat. I like watching him play Marvel, but absolutely think he's an rear end in a top hat.

A casual player I know says he can be a bit of a dick if you've got nothing to offer his game, this was WAAAAY back in loving competative third strike days so maybe he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat now. (also don't like the ChrisG vibes).

He also looks just straight up un-fun to play against.

mango sentinel posted:

ChrisG has said some rude/dumb poo poo I really dislike, but so have players I really like. My only animosity towards him is because he plays the most lame team.

I really don't get why he's king of marvel has his game changed much from morrigan/spencer/hawkeye? It looks like it's a matter of sussing out the gaps and going in for the kill to take his fireball game down*, but if his combos are solid I take back any doubt about his kingly stats

*way easier said than done

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SleepySonata posted:

A casual player I know says he can be a bit of a dick if you've got nothing to offer his game, this was WAAAAY back in loving competative third strike days so maybe he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat now. (also don't like the ChrisG vibes).

He also looks just straight up un-fun to play against.

I really don't get why he's king of marvel has his game changed much from morrigan/spencer/hawkeye? It looks like it's a matter of sussing out the gaps and going in for the kill to take his fireball game down*, but if his combos are solid I take back any doubt about his kingly stats

*way easier said than done

ChrisG is just ridiculously good. You can rag on him all you want about his personality, but when it comes to his Marvel skills he's far from a guy who just sits back and chucks plasma all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Jmcrofts posted:

If you win a game, you can change your team order before the next game (but you cannot switch characters). The loser can switch characters.

I think you should be able to swap either assist with the point character, but not other team order changes. Basically keep it how it would be if MVC3 was an arcade game - you can hold down either assist button to change your order, but not re-pick them in a whole new order. So ABC you could change to BAC or CBA, but not ACB, BCA, CAB, etc.