Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I feel like it's almost more dangerous than a bike, but then again I've never skateboarded. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You just need one of these. It's like a motorcycle you stand on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woOAmaNagpY

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I was tempted, but the bike is for sale at the moment (but going on Saturday! Woo...ish!).

I've tried skateboarding, I fall off once it starts going faster than about 10km/h and/or isn't on perfectly flat concrete. Turns are a mystery to me.

I tried that jump thing where they flip the board, I just jumped and the board kept going :(

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
II've broken both of my arms at 45 degree angles and received numerous gashes/scrapes riding a skateboard. Worst injuries I've ever gotten from a motorcycle was a sore rear end and cyclist's palsy. gently caress skateboarding.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
It's all about learning how to take a fall. Downhill longboarding is pretty fun if done in a controlled environment. Coincidentally, the lead tech at the shop I go to hosed his leg pretty bad longboarding.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

xd posted:

It's all about learning how to take a fall.
Yep, don't do it on your wrist like me.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My one semester of Hap-Ki-Do spent getting thrown through the air and practicing falling has saved my rear end over and over again. Kids should learn this stuff in pre-school.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Shimrod posted:

I had some idiot kids at the skate park jump out and try to touch me as I went past a while ago, little dumbshits.

This is what armoured knuckles were made for.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

thylacine posted:

My one semester of Hap-Ki-Do spent getting thrown through the air and practicing falling has saved my rear end over and over again. Kids should learn this stuff in pre-school.

Between this and skateboarding I am an expert at eating poo poo. Took a twelve foot fall from the top of a bouldering wall last week pretty much straight onto my back without injury. I agree, kids should be taught how to fall, it'll pay off time and time again.

Also, don't call the cops on skateboarders. Just take caution around them like you would any other kids playing. They're trying to get their kicks in same as us.

Angryboot posted:

What happened to the suv?

She stopped pretty quick, I was the douche in this case. Just went right around her after we were both stopped.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

This is what armoured knuckles were made for.

The rear end in a top hat version of a bro-fist.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Welp, had my first serious close call yesterday. Narrow forest road, lots of fun corners. Lots of blind corners though. Approaching a blind right hand corner with a rock wall on the right side there's a roadwork sign and a "recommended speed 30km/h" sign (the road is 70km/h otherwise). I slow down to 40ish and round the corner and there's gravel all over the road behind it. :argh:

Fortunately there's no oncoming traffic, so I stand it up and try to brake hard. The whole bike slides and I go over into the oncoming lane and narrowly miss going off the road before getting back on track.

My fault really, I didn't make the connection that roadwork = gravel and slowed down enough. At least I didn't panic brake, which was a lot thanks to reading all the other posts here and getting "when in doubt throttle on" ingrained in my head.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Just happened on my way to lunch. They are doing roadwork by my office. To get past a trench going perpendicular to road I stood on pegs and juiced the throttle just as I hit trench resulting in way more throttle than intended. Almost threw myself off the bike in front of a construction crew.

I will take a different route back to office.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Stugazi posted:

I will take a different route back to office.

For safety or embarrassment?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ReelBigLizard posted:

For safety or embarrassment?

I think you haven't been a biker for very long if you do'nt know the answer to that question.

It's embarrassment.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Well, I just had an eventful near-miss. I was coming home from checking out the house that we're buying when I came upon an Audi in front of me. Everything was fine and dandy until I noticed headlights speeding up on me from behind. "What the hell, I wasn't speeding." was my first reaction because I thought it was a cop. As it got closer I figured if it was a cop they would have put their lights on by now. The car got right on my six, I'm guessing they were probably three or four feet from my back tire. After a few seconds they went in to the other lane, on a double yellow, in an attempt to pass both the Audi and I. There was a car in the oncoming lane not to far ahead and I knew right away that there was no way this car, a mid-90s Dodge Caravan, was going to make it. I started braking and distancing myself from the Audi, the car in the opposite lane laid onto their brakes, dropping the nose of the car and skidding forward. The van drove the Audi off of the side of the road but the Audi maintained control and held a straight line while going onto the shoulder. The van sped off and the Audi waved me around. I caught up to the van about a mile ahead at a red light and (stupidly) flipped my visor up and started screaming at them. Then they blew the red light, almost got T-boned and got caught behind a BMW. The light turned green and I caught up to them but kept my distance. We were in a small town with a very tight double yellow and lots of curves. They tried to overtake the BMW on a curve and nearly hit an oncoming car head on. Like they did with the Audi they ran the BMW into the shoulder and took off. For a minute I thought about chasing them down and following them to wherever they were going but collected my thoughts and went home and phoned the police. They said that without direct evidence of reckless driving they can't do anything other than take a report unless multiple people report it. It's days like this when I wish I had a GoPro so I could get assholes like this arrested. :sigh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

poo poo like that is a good reason to get a gopro for your bike or a dash cam for your car.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Collateral Damage posted:

poo poo like that is a good reason to get a gopro for your bike or a dash cam for your car.

I've got one sat at home and posts like this tell me I've REALLY got to get it mounted. I was originally going to have it as a helmet cam, but I think it will be better for me in a more "covert" location near the dash.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I find it annoying messing with my gopro on the times where I take it out to record something on purpose. I can't imagine doing that every ride.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

nsaP posted:

I find it annoying messing with my gopro on the times where I take it out to record something on purpose. I can't imagine doing that every ride.

Whats so hard about mounting it? I have mine setup to start recording as soon as its powered on so its only one button too.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nothing hard about mounting it. It's everything else. I change settings so there's that. Gotta charge the battery every time and make sure my card is empty, then I have to worry about what I'm doing with my gopro once I get where I'm going. If I wanted an accident cam or whatever I'd find something more purpose made for it that I could hard wire.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pulled into work this morning, go to put my foot down to back it into the spot and step on a pebble or something. Don't know how I saved it but I was very close to the angle of no return.

Pull into the garage, put my foot down and stop on a nut. Foot goes sliding and I catch the bike with the wall :downs:

No more riding for me today.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Pulled into work this morning, go to put my foot down to back it into the spot and step on a pebble or something. Don't know how I saved it but I was very close to the angle of no return.

Pull into the garage, put my foot down and stop on a nut. Foot goes sliding and I catch the bike with the wall :downs:

I dropped the Vstrom for the first time Sunday. Got pre-occupied fiddling with something and didn't put the kickstand down. Thankfully the guards did their job and it was easy to put back up.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've only had my bike a couple of weeks and I've come so close, twice. The first time I took it off the stand to move it, but forgot it was in first. For some reason my reaction was to turn the ignition on to check the neutral light and in doing so I leant the bike away from me. How we both didn't go down I have no idea.

The second time was putting it on the main stand to oil my chain. I'd just washed it and my foot slipped, but I managed to keep everything upright.

It feels like a painful inevitability :(

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
It is, embrace it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Yeah it will happen. My SV has been dropped, knocked over and fallen over so many times I don't even worry about it anymore.

I've thought about getting a nice shiny new bike but I'd drop it and feel bad.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Haven't dropped my bike (yet).

However, one of my winter tires fell over and scraped up my fairings with the spikes :cry:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I seem to post in this thread way too much.

Was on my way to work a couple of days ago and was going around a big rig since it was turning into the local distribution center for HEB (Texas grocery chain) and as I'm getting back into my lane this loving deer decides it's a great time to go flying across the road.

We weren't even near anything that could be considered forest. Just some stupid drat deer in the middle of a semi-residential area. It came in from the side at night so I didn't have much time to do anything once it showed up in my field of vision but adjust my lean and hope I didn't hit it. Luckily it didn't look at my headlamp so it ran on by but I had about 5 feet of space between me and it. Serious pucker factor 5 moment there since I was going about 50 MPH and that would have ended super poorly for me.

I might be reconsidering my stance on deer hunting. Crossbows are pretty reasonably priced right?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Literally just there - typing this while smoking a fag to get my recollection straight. Coming to a crossroads where I had right of way, car on left side pauses for me, van on right side pauses for me, then decides to roll out anyway after a second or two. Hit the brakes because it was soaking wet, nearly lost control of the bike - jerked right and left under me, thank God I held on as I was only in trousers and normal shoes underneath. It was properly whipping about, I came to a sideways stop in the middle. Van waited for me, I pull up beside him and he just starts smirking and laughing at me. I go off on one, tell him to gently caress off, and the car behind him pulls up to check if I'm alright. Going to phone the police now but loving hell he could have seriously injured me and he's pissing himself laughing and looking smug as gently caress during it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It happened a few days ago, but nearly dropped the Daytona 675...was dropping by the dealership to pick up some stuff and I had to make a left across traffic and then somehow back the bike into the row of MC parking spots, so of course I decided it made a lot more sense to just make a left into a nearby driveway, ride up the sidewalk, and then ride off the curb. Unfortunately for me, the Daytona doesn't have nearly as much cornering clearance as most of my bikes, and the curb is particularly tall there. I didn't give it that much throttle as I rolled off the curb, the header bottomed out, the bike tipped suddenly to the right, and I very nearly dumped the bike straight into the row of bikes next to me.
As I struggled there with the bike just on the edge of the point of no return, desperately trying to get my stance wide enough to have enough leverage to stand the bike back up, thankfully there was another kid getting ready to leave, and he gave me a little push on the shoulder that took me just past the edge of no return. After a couple of little hops to get my right foot out far enough to use my legs to help lift the bike up, I managed to get it back from the brink and put it on the sidestand.

Then I looked down the row at the assorted KTMs, Ducatis, and other expensive bikes in a row and quietly thanked the lord that I didn't have to make an insurance claim on those...Header has a little dent/scrape in it now too. :shobon:

And then of course this morning as I did my usual rear wheel skid to get the bike into the parking spot, my foot slipped off the rear brake and I was suddenly riding straight towards a parked car. I was only doing about 3mph at that point so just used the front brake to come to a stop, but still felt like an idiot. :downs:

Maybe it's time to slow down a bit.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

It happened a few days ago, but nearly dropped the Daytona 675...was dropping by the dealership to pick up some stuff and I had to make a left across traffic and then somehow back the bike into the row of MC parking spots, so of course I decided it made a lot more sense to just make a left into a nearby driveway, ride up the sidewalk, and then ride off the curb. Unfortunately for me, the Daytona doesn't have nearly as much cornering clearance as most of my bikes, and the curb is particularly tall there. I didn't give it that much throttle as I rolled off the curb, the header bottomed out, the bike tipped suddenly to the right, and I very nearly dumped the bike straight into the row of bikes next to me.
As I struggled there with the bike just on the edge of the point of no return, desperately trying to get my stance wide enough to have enough leverage to stand the bike back up, thankfully there was another kid getting ready to leave, and he gave me a little push on the shoulder that took me just past the edge of no return. After a couple of little hops to get my right foot out far enough to use my legs to help lift the bike up, I managed to get it back from the brink and put it on the sidestand.

Then I looked down the row at the assorted KTMs, Ducatis, and other expensive bikes in a row and quietly thanked the lord that I didn't have to make an insurance claim on those...Header has a little dent/scrape in it now too. :shobon:

And then of course this morning as I did my usual rear wheel skid to get the bike into the parking spot, my foot slipped off the rear brake and I was suddenly riding straight towards a parked car. I was only doing about 3mph at that point so just used the front brake to come to a stop, but still felt like an idiot. :downs:

Maybe it's time to slow down a bit.

Sounds like somebody needs a motard. Shame the only one that's fast, light and has semi-reasonable service intervals is rarer than a spotted unicorn horn here in the states.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Not sure if this really counts as a near-crash, but close enough is good enough.

I was in a hurry to get to uni the other day, so I rolled my bike out of the garage, and got off for a moment to close the garage rolling door. I immediately jumped back on, and somehow landed on my right testicle as I hit the seat. The pain shocked me so much I ended up toppling over towards the ground, pulling the bike with me.

Thankfully, while I ended up in a heap, I was falling up a hill, and managed to hold the bike off me and stood it up without it smacking the ground. I have a very light 250, so I imagine if I rode something bigger that I'd have some damaged fairings and a damaged set of ribs right now.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Sounds like somebody needs a motard. Shame the only one that's fast, light and has semi-reasonable service intervals is rarer than a spotted unicorn horn here in the states.

He had one, and because he finds pleasure selling the best motorcycles on the planet he got rid of it for a bunch of ZX6e's. And shame. Don't forget the shame.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

needknees posted:

He had one, and because he finds pleasure selling the best motorcycles on the planet he got rid of it for a bunch of ZX6e's. And shame. Don't forget the shame.

I am why I can't have nice things.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

occipitallobe posted:

Not sure if this really counts as a near-crash, but close enough is good enough.

I was in a hurry to get to uni the other day, so I rolled my bike out of the garage, and got off for a moment to close the garage rolling door. I immediately jumped back on, and somehow landed on my right testicle as I hit the seat. The pain shocked me so much I ended up toppling over towards the ground, pulling the bike with me.

Trying not to laugh at the mental image of this playing out. Hope your balls are ok :sweatdrop:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Going to get dinner with a friend the other night and a Suburban full of idiot family nearly took me out; probably would if I had left home approximately one second earlier. I was approaching a line of cars at a stop sign where I would be making a right, so as I came up behind the last car in line I went right to cut up to the stop (prob ~30mph). Exactly at this moment, the Suburban decided it wanted to park in the nose-in spot directly to it's right, and do it as quickly as possible:

Since I ride a Harley, the face of Layer Dan appeared as a Vision before me. His rheumy eyes lolled wildly at me like pool balls as he screamed "LAYERDAAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhh", ceasing only to gulp hungrily from a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Instead, I did a pretty sweet emergency braking that transitioned nicely into a ~3foot locked rear slide that probably went out 6" to the right as I eased on the fronts. At that moment I was very thankful for all the times I have "practiced" locking up my rear tire at stoplights to "get used to the feeling". I came to a stop nicely oriented to pass behind them once they finished barging into the spot. I didn't even bother honking because I don't think they even realized what had happened. I was very thankful for proper MSF (and CA) brake training that evening.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
High 5 ^5

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does hitting a HUGE pot hole at 30 mph count? It was dark and I just didn't see it until it was too late. I had time to lift up off the seat for a second but slammed into it pretty hard. No wobble or any damage on the bike from what I could see.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Driving through town on a Saturday night, past shops and restaurants, you know, where cars often stop randomly to turn into parking lots, not paying attention, traffic slows mid-block while I'm still accelerating from the stop light. Good news, it turns out I know how to panic stop without dropping my bike. Locked up the rear which squealed for (what felt like) minutes, didn't lock up the front, but probably could have braked harder. Forgot to downshift, so I need more practice, probably also could have shifted my weight back over the rear tire, which may have helped (?). Missed the car ahead of me by feet, and it would have been a low-speed bump anyways, but still, stupid mistake. "Stay alert, stay alive". Sorry, all you patrons of the local bars and outdoor cafe's that had your evening interrupted by a dork on a dirt bike, just glad I didn't add any more excitement to your evening. Next time I do something stupid, I'll try to remember to do it somewhere without an audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Lane splitting after riding with a big group all day. Picked up the bad habit of revving my engine to get other drivers attention. Lane gets tight so I rev up to make the cars part except I didn't hold my clutch in. The sudden pop in accel jerks me back to reality as I do a mini wheelie in between two cars. Looked back at my friend sheepishly who shook his head and pretended he didn't know me.

Always stay focused!

• Locked thread