Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lord Lambeth posted:

That honestly sounds really nitpicky. Unless it adds more bugs then it takes out, I see no reason not to include it. I never had a problem with it on any of my multiple runs of the game.

I'm not trying to reduce the shocking fact that the modders are sexist, it's just that specific example isn't really enough for me to stop using Mission Mojave.

It would be easier for me to determine whether or not to include it if they had a bloody changelog somewhere.

TCOM may not have been the best example because New Vegas isn't nearly as broken as Oblivion, on a fundamental level.
vvv

Just open Mission Mojave in TES5Edit and look at the abundance of poo poo it actually changes. Or just look at this changelog. Conditional dialog fixes? 20DT restored? What the gently caress do they even base this poo poo on?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've spent a lot of time in the Oblivion modding thread, and it's really surprising how problematic TCOM and FCOM are for people--even those who are experienced with modding the game. Common advice nowadays is to simply avoid them and install mods, one at a time, until you get to where you want to be. Because of the way it stacks and loads individual mods, the Gamebryo engine (as Oblivion and Fallout exist on it) simply doesn't lend itself to comprehensive all-in-one modding that utilities like TCOM shoot for. The exception to this are utilities like some Morrowind overhauls, where they are intended to be installed and left alone, with little user input on what stays and goes*.

*Although there are ways to modify some Morrowind overhaul installers so they skip unwanted mods, but then this invites compatibility issues when mods that are supposed to be installed no longer are.

A mod pack for New Vegas would probably not be a great idea unless the merged patch creation would be automated already. TCOM was hilarious to see in the Oblivion thread because it was the author posting it, and then twenty some pages of people going "IM USING TCOM FROM THE OP AND WHAT IS THIS IN MY GAME". There isn't an easy way to make an all encompassing mod pack for Oblivion+, unfortunately.

I remember a goon made EasyFCOM which was great - easily installable archives of the FCOM components. It is already outdated, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Would anyone be willing to take a quick look at my load order to check if anything's amiss? I basically dropped all of the mods in FOMM and used the BOSS Autosort. I remember that back in the day it was necessary to create a merged patch in order for the various mods to play nice together, is it still a thing?

code:
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
CCO - Gameplay Changes.esm
CCO - Classic Perks.esm
CCO - Follower Tweaks.esm
DFB - Random Encounters.esm
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
jsawyer.esp
CCO - Follower Sneak Attacks Add-on.esp
CCO - Follower Weapon Auto-Repair.esp
CCO - Raul Crafting Add-on.esp
CCO - Rex Fetch Add-on.esp
CCO - Companion Development.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance.esp
CCO - GC JSawyer Patch.esp
CCO - FT All DLC Patch.esp
CCO - CP All DLC Patch.esp
CCO - Damage Resistance.esp
CCO - CP PN Core Patch.esp
CCO - CP PN Equipment Patch.esp
CCO - CP OWB PN Patch.esp
CCO - CP JSawyer Patch.esp
CCO - DR All DLC Patch.esp
CCO - PR PN Patch.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Dead Money.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Honest Hearts.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Old World Blues.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Lonesome Road.esp
CCO - DR PN Patch.esp
pipboy2500_edisleado.esp
Sunglasses Shipment.esp
Gunslinger.esp
Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
WMXUE.esp
WMXUE-PN.esp
SimpleStreetLights.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
WMXUE-CouriersStash.esp
ProjectRealityMkIv5HDR.esp

Total active plugins: 51
Total plugins: 51

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
e: post/reply problems really :(

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 29, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

real quick,

Unless PN says explicitly to do so, I believe having ESMs after ESPs is a bad idea.

Making a merged patch will let you deal with two+ mods which modify the same thing and I don't know enough about PN to say whether you need one. They aren't, usually, bad ideas - especially if you have a lot of small mods rolling them all into one merged is a lot better insofar as NV is concerned since modcount gets cranky after a while. With the number you have it shouldn't be a problem, but might be something you want to keep in mind as a first option if you get trouble.

Lord Lambeth posted:

That honestly sounds really nitpicky. Unless it adds more bugs then it takes out, I see no reason not to include it.

You have to ask yourself who the audience is for your modpack. MM changes a lot of things - a lot. And they aren't documented. So right there you're telling your audience "you have to trust me that the changes in here - which I can't list for you because they don't list - are good." Now arguably that's the case of any modpack, but at least in any other case I can refer to documentation for mods and see what has changed and decide if it's for me. If you include MM, it becomes "you have to trust me and there is literally no way to find out."

Also, Mission Mojave (or any 'unofficial patch') is in my experience irrelevant to the stability of NV - at best you break even, and more likely you're worse off. If you personally haven't had a problem, that's all well and good. Does it deserve to be in a modpack meant for the 'all in one making New Vegas better experience' - what I think you're trying for? I'd argue no.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 29, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
.esm's get loaded first no matter what, so it doesn't really matter.

Edit: Other than their relative order, that is.

Smol fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 29, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is there really not one mod that fixes A Final Plan for Esteban? I'm getting the issue in which he appears underground and is unable to be picked up. I know there is the workaround in which you can pick up that little nub of him, but even that is being a little to finnicky for me. The wiki says to use a console command "ee6c6.moveto player" in order to move the corpse which I've typed in exactly, but it doesn't work.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here but:

Has anyone else encountered this problem: whenever I try to target an enemy's thrown explosive either in their hand or in the air, it's percentage value is either 0% or it doesn't even give me the option to target it. It was working fine before, but I just noticed it's not working for whatever reason now.

Anyone know how to fix this?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PayingForTheView posted:

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here but:

Has anyone else encountered this problem: whenever I try to target an enemy's thrown explosive either in their hand or in the air, it's percentage value is either 0% or it doesn't even give me the option to target it. It was working fine before, but I just noticed it's not working for whatever reason now.

Anyone know how to fix this?

The airborne explosives bug was introduced in an FO3 patch and has never been fixed since. You should be able to target held explosives, though. That might just be V.A.T.S. being a bastard.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

The airborne explosives bug was introduced in an FO3 patch and has never been fixed since. You should be able to target held explosives, though. That might just be V.A.T.S. being a bastard.

So the bug continued to New Vegas? Is there no way to fix it? Bummer.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PayingForTheView posted:

So the bug continued to New Vegas? Is there no way to fix it? Bummer.

Not that I know of. I miss it, too. But like I said, you should still be able to target it if the enemy hasn't yet started the throwing animation.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Psion posted:

real quick,

Unless PN says explicitly to do so, I believe having ESMs after ESPs is a bad idea.

Making a merged patch will let you deal with two+ mods which modify the same thing and I don't know enough about PN to say whether you need one. They aren't, usually, bad ideas - especially if you have a lot of small mods rolling them all into one merged is a lot better insofar as NV is concerned since modcount gets cranky after a while. With the number you have it shouldn't be a problem, but might be something you want to keep in mind as a first option if you get trouble.

That's what I thought. I don't plan on having a ton of mods that add items, I just wanted to have the best rebalance mods and some new stuff, I think it will do.

Also, someone mentioned a bugfixing/rebalance mod for OWB - should I get it? I only played vanilla without DLCs when the game was released but I'd rather have the good experience the first time around because I probably won't play NV again for a long time after this playthrough.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there really not one mod that fixes A Final Plan for Esteban? I'm getting the issue in which he appears underground and is unable to be picked up. I know there is the workaround in which you can pick up that little nub of him, but even that is being a little to finnicky for me. The wiki says to use a console command "ee6c6.moveto player" in order to move the corpse which I've typed in exactly, but it doesn't work.

that's to collect the dead guy, yeah? last time I did that I found out that you can click on and delete the chunk of road he is under since it is just a huge flat terrain piece and not the actual floor of the world.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Huh, I'm not actually particularly competent with console commands or the GECK. How do you do that?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Huh, I'm not actually particularly competent with console commands or the GECK. How do you do that?

Hit your tilde key to bring up the console command screen, click on the section of road, and type 'delete' or 'markfordelete' I think.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Thanks. It was "disable" and worked perfectly.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Is there a mod that makes ammo boxes prettier?

I may have a problem regarding Feng Shui and screenshots. :f5:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

lordfrikk posted:

That's what I thought. I don't plan on having a ton of mods that add items, I just wanted to have the best rebalance mods and some new stuff, I think it will do.

Also, someone mentioned a bugfixing/rebalance mod for OWB - should I get it? I only played vanilla without DLCs when the game was released but I'd rather have the good experience the first time around because I probably won't play NV again for a long time after this playthrough.

I think you might be talking about me. Puce Moose made a series of plugins for OWB that rebalance it, but one of them in particular changes how the game handles enemies in that DLC. Basically, by default, there are a number of invisible "entities" that follow you around and spawn enemies. Since enemies spawn around you, this has the effect of making it impossible to sneak anywhere--often times, enemies will appearing out of thin air, right in front of you. Areas that were legitimately cleared a few moments earlier are suddenly repopulated with spongey, omnipotent enemies. For a lot of people, it's really annoying.

I would recommend that plugin, if only to improve your first-time experience with the DLC. Doubly so if you don't plan on replaying it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So is old world blues supposed to spawn enemies around you loving constantly? It's irritating as poo poo. I'll kill like literally 10 guys that just keep spawning around me to get into a building, go inside briefly, come back out to travel to the sink to sell / heal up and like 10 more guys just come out of nowhere. Irritating as gently caress.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The extensions are irrelevant (sort of). There's a bit in the file that truly determines master status. PN has some of it's modules set as "esp"s even though they're really .esm's because it can make modding easier.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr. Crow posted:

So is old world blues supposed to spawn enemies around you loving constantly? It's irritating as poo poo. I'll kill like literally 10 guys that just keep spawning around me to get into a building, go inside briefly, come back out to travel to the sink to sell / heal up and like 10 more guys just come out of nowhere. Irritating as gently caress.

Yeah. According to Puce Moose, you're basically stalked by a handful of blank entities that constantly harass you by assuming the form of various OWB enemies. You kill the enemy and the entity runs off to spawn and commandeer another enemy. It almost sounds like a story, in and of itself. Rumor has it that Chris Avellone hates sneaky-sniper types, and designed OWB to be as hostile to that play-style as possible.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For a lot of people, it's really annoying.

Mr. Crow posted:

So is old world blues supposed to spawn enemies around you loving constantly? It's irritating as poo poo.

:v: I think I'll go ahead and install it, yeah.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hmm, I'm having some problems with Darnified UI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu8aa8wi49brdsv/2013-05-29_00001.jpg The sizing of various menus and even my ammo counter in the bottom right is completely off. I can't seem to find any way to fix it, anyone happen to have the same thing happen to them?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hmm, I'm having some problems with Darnified UI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu8aa8wi49brdsv/2013-05-29_00001.jpg The sizing of various menus and even my ammo counter in the bottom right is completely off. I can't seem to find any way to fix it, anyone happen to have the same thing happen to them?

You didn't copy/paste the font changes into your ini. Do that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

As a sneaky sniper type, I hated the OWB overworld combat on my first playthrough. Now I just bring my companions with me by using the Underground Hideout's teleporter. Fixes everything.

I bring Ed-E with me to the Sierra Madre now, too. Did everything fair once. Now I just maximize my good time.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You didn't copy/paste the font changes into your ini. Do that.

But I did. Hmm thanks for the heads up though.

Edit: Try out suggestions? That sounded right in my head but not on text.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 30, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But I did. Hmm thanks for the heads up though, I'll try out more suggestions.

That's pretty much the only thing it could be. You're either accidentally having Steam overwrite the ini when it starts up the game (by launching it via the FalloutNVLauncher, which causes it to check your .inis in your documents folder and replace any significant discrepancies with the data found in the corresponding .inis in the Steam folder) or you're editing the wrong file.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a mod that makes ammo boxes prettier?

I may have a problem regarding Feng Shui and screenshots. :f5:

What you need to do is get yourself some swag.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I have plenty of that.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

What's currently the best weather mod? There doesn't really seem to be a truly good one that still sees updates.

I tried Nevada Skies 0.71 Vanilla Edition last year and generally like how it worked. It seemed to rain all the time though and some of the weather transitions were very jarring.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

natlampe posted:

There doesn't really seem to be a truly good one that still sees updates.
No real comment on your weather mod question as I never found one for NV that I liked.
But I did wanted to say that wether or not a mod still sees updates isn't a good measure of quality. If a mod is simply finished (the modder implemented all of the features he wanted, elimated any bugs and - if necesary - updated it for the latest patch) it doesn't need any updates.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Raygereio posted:

If a mod is simply finished (the modder implemented all of the features he wanted, elimated any bugs and - if necesary - updated it for the latest patch) it doesn't need any updates.
Yes, that goes without saying. None of them seem finished though and Nevada Skies' many fractured versions are a mess.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I like Nevada Skies 6.3 non-UWRLRWLRLR. I think that's the version, anyway. But I had to fix a bunch of conflicts in FNVEdit to get it working correctly, though. The weathers work as they should, only thing is the night-to-day transition is a bit sudden.

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

I like Nevada Skies 6.3 non-UWRLRWLRLR. I think that's the version, anyway. But I had to fix a bunch of conflicts in FNVEdit to get it working correctly, though. The weathers work as they should, only thing is the night-to-day transition is a bit sudden.

I'm not completely satisfied with any of the weather mods honestly. I use N Skies 6.3 vanilla as well. It all depends on your taste though. I really like how desolate and gray the world looks with Project Reality but it causes a noticeable performance hit for me whereas Nevada Skies and Fellout have almost no impact to frame rate.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I think the worst problem with weather mods is the lack of a genuinely decent lighting system. Love or hate Skyrim's "Creation" engine, at least it can do shadows and allow modders to generate some pretty weather and environments. Most weather mods in Fallout give things a weird, flat lighting, or clear up the vista so you can see the jittering of low-resolution LOD textures. There's a part of me that really wishes New Vegas was built on the Creation engine so we could do away with the floaty controls and ugly lighting.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like Project Reality, never had problems with it. Using it and the "Washed Out Wasteland" part of the Flora Overhaul looks really cool.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I also like project reality but I can see how it might cause performance issues. It used to cause me problems on my old machine unless I disabled heat haze.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I also like project reality but I can see how it might cause performance issues. It used to cause me problems on my old machine unless I disabled heat haze.

This. And there's reputedly a bug where it can toggle back on behind the scenes but doesn't show as such in the MCM menu. Toggling heat haze on and off periodically is a good thing.

I haven't run newer Nevada Skies, but did run the URWL variant with settings taken from here on an underpowered laptop: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40179. Looked pretty good on the whole.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the worst problem with weather mods is the lack of a genuinely decent lighting system. Love or hate Skyrim's "Creation" engine, at least it can do shadows and allow modders to generate some pretty weather and environments. Most weather mods in Fallout give things a weird, flat lighting, or clear up the vista so you can see the jittering of low-resolution LOD textures. There's a part of me that really wishes New Vegas was built on the Creation engine so we could do away with the floaty controls and ugly lighting.

Agreed. Better lighting would improve weather a lot.

The ENB guy has released a version for FO3/FNV that can do shadows to some extent. I haven't tried it, see thread here: http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1832. The Detailed Shadows code in ENB isn't anywhere near as expensive as the myriad other features present in it, so this is worth checking out for the shadows alone.

I use an ENB present for Skyrim that has just Shadows and Ambient Occlusion enabled, all other post-processing is disabled, and use it along with Project Reality/Climates of Tamriel. The two work well together there. Link if someone wants to try the same for FNV.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
So, do many people have a particular preference with JSawyer vs. PN's Rebalance module? I'm considering starting a game using the latter after exclusively using the former, but I'm interested to know how the experience differs, since PN seems to be more about altering pure numbers whereas JSawyer gets right into the guts of the base game and shakes things up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

Agreed. Better lighting would improve weather a lot.

The ENB guy has released a version for FO3/FNV that can do shadows to some extent. I haven't tried it, see thread here: http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1832. The Detailed Shadows code in ENB isn't anywhere near as expensive as the myriad other features present in it, so this is worth checking out for the shadows alone.

I use an ENB present for Skyrim that has just Shadows and Ambient Occlusion enabled, all other post-processing is disabled, and use it along with Project Reality/Climates of Tamriel. The two work well together there. Link if someone wants to try the same for FNV.

One of the reasons I'm interested in Fallout 4 is just because so many of the "old engine" problems we get with New Vegas would be gone. What was already done on that engine is pretty impressive, but imagine how amazing the darker nights and interior lighting adjustments would be with proper lighting and shadows? Or weather that didn't have rain clip through the ceiling of any outdoor structures because you can't actually check if an area is shielded from the sky (or well, technically you could, but it would be horribly slow and probably unplayable if you tried to do it with every possible location rain could be falling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But I did. Hmm thanks for the heads up though.

Edit: Try out suggestions? That sounded right in my head but not on text.

I think there are three INIs you can edit that all have the section DarnUI tells you to paste in. Worst case do it to all of them. It'll stick eventually.