Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stormfang1502 posted:

World Conqueror 2 is free at the moment. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet but it seems to be a cross between risk and advance wars. Seems fun so far, and the price is right.

http://appshopper.com/games/world-conqueror-2

I tried this over the weekend and I was really unimpressed. I ended up uninstalling after doing the 3 earliest German campaigns.

I don't know, something about it just irked me. The strategy part seemed really shallow compared even to something like Risk, and the system with the cards didn't seem to work well within it. The wonky as gently caress translations on some of the dialogue from the historical figures didn't help. It just kind of felt really poorly balanced and low-rent.

Give it a shot while it's free, but I just coudln't be bothered to invest more than half an hour into giving it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Det_no posted:

It really is pretty awesome. And for some reason I also like the setting a lot more than the usual "wacky violence" tone a lot of the popular runners have. :swoon:

The setting is really a great mix of goofy gore and stark drearyness. I absolutely love how the zombies swarm you the second you fall to the ground.

Grimmeh fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 28, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That man's crotch is very low.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You just dont get fashion, mom.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
They need to include the Akira bike and the two weapons/characters in Dead Ahead's IAP menu. I hadn't scrolled that far ahead until just now. That bike looks sweet!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The Rokstar posted:

Also in Dead Ahead I'm sort of getting the impression that the zombie invasion either happened after or completely independently of the traffic apocalypse that resulted in disabled cars being strewn all over the roads and is what, in fact, actually killed off everyone in this town.

I don't know about this - i tend to see cop zombies near cop cars for example. The way they eat their donut and are all confused and take it out of their mouth is super cute :3:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A little confused on the Dead Ahead love. Having your finger block a big part of what's coming is annoying. Maybe it's better on iPad...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Even on an ipad it's confusing. Why is the direction control not on the opposite side so you can avoid poo poo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You can actually move the direction bit to the left side. Just drag the shoot/accelerate buttons across to the right. Why it doesn't tell you this, and why it's not like that by default, I don't know.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

That simulate a raid healer game just went free.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

Frozen Synapse is awesome and I love it. Not for everyone though! What were you expecting, out of curiosity?

I was expecting a more SWAT style game "a la Tom Clancy". However, I gave it another whirl and I'm starting to understand it. I didn't know I could control the enemy units and do tests before setting off for the real thing. So that helps.

Also, using rockets and grenades help a ton when it comes to opening up the map.

I'm going to give it a few more days. It's growing on me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kolta posted:

I was expecting a more SWAT style game "a la Tom Clancy". However, I gave it another whirl and I'm starting to understand it. I didn't know I could control the enemy units and do tests before setting off for the real thing. So that helps.

Also, using rockets and grenades help a ton when it comes to opening up the map.

There's a steep learning curve, albeit based upon simple principles, but that's the price of entry on a proper hardcore game sometimes. Stick with it, the reward is totally worth it. Once it clicks, it is really something special.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Feenix posted:

A little confused on the Dead Ahead love. Having your finger block a big part of what's coming is annoying. Maybe it's better on iPad...

I'd rather see the zombies chasing but then again I play by going as slow as the level comfortably allows instead of just bolting.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Kolta posted:

As I said, lose the first 50 games as soon as possible :)

Playing iteratively with the enemy units is the best way to improve your turns; I usually start by doing a quick 30 second "this is probably roughly where they will be going/what they are doing" for the enemy side, and then start putting together a more complex plan for my side. Then I try to beat my plan with the enemy units. Then I try to beat THAT plan. Etc.

This is what I meant before by there being a pretty linear relation between time spent on a turn and likelihood of winning; lets say you have 2 people who play Frozen Synapse during their lunch hour. One might have a dozen games and spend a few minutes on each couple of turns in them. The other might spend the entire hour just doing both turns in one game. The huge strength of the "Simulate" function is also a weakness; it can easily cause people to degenerate into spending an inordinate amount of time planning their moves to be completely flawless.

Best non-obvious advice I can give you is that Crouching offers no bonus to kill time over Standing, it is merely a function for breaking line of sight, and the very act of Standing or Crouching prevents you from shooting for a small time so you can't pop up behind cover and shoot people because you will die. It's the only part that's kinda non-intuitive for the gaming literate.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
My first impression of Dead Alive was also "but you can't see what's coming", but after playing for a bit it's not that bad. You don't want to be going balls out fast anyway most of the time it seems.

I can't seem to finish the "jump 3 cars" mission though. I know you need to land on top of the cars to get credit, but I just never seem to see enough 'ramp->car' combos to make it happen. edit: of course as soon as I post about it I get it on my next run.

Voodoo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 28, 2013

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bummey posted:

This is what they want you to do! You are part of the problem!

Don't hate on non-consumable IAP, bro. :(

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Voodoo posted:

I can't seem to finish the "jump 3 cars" mission though. I know you need to land on top of the cars to get credit, but I just never seem to see enough 'ramp->car' combos to make it happen. edit: of course as soon as I post about it I get it on my next run.
I swear I've done this 20 times but don't get credit - I did it my first try on my iPad, but I've been stuck on my iPhone forever.

Also - spend $2 and get the fancy bike and no-ads - well worth it.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

porktree posted:

I swear I've done this 20 times but don't get credit - I did it my first try on my iPad, but I've been stuck on my iPhone forever.

Also - spend $2 and get the fancy bike and no-ads - well worth it.
Are you sure you're landing on and crushing the cars? I kept on jumping OVER the cars and not getting credits until it sunk in that I had to go slow and crush the car.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Grimmeh posted:

Are you sure you're landing on and crushing the cars? I kept on jumping OVER the cars and not getting credits until it sunk in that I had to go slow and crush the car.
You could be right - and do busses and vans count our just cars. I wish there was a progress indicator when you pause. I will be sure and crush cars from here on out.

edit: Yes busses count - yes you have to smash them. THANKS!

porktree fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 28, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Haha, I was coming to post and complain about the exact same thing. At first I thought you had to crush the cars, but I crushed three and it didn't give me credit. Then I thought you had to clear the cars, but I cleared three and got no credit. At this point I've tried like 30 times, though to be fair I've not completed the objective either way the majority of those attempts. My only conclusion now is that car means, specifically, car. I'm guessing only the sedans count, and that jumping the vans and buses doesn't. Thanks for confirmation that you need to land on them, that's easier anyway as it doesn't require me to be going full speed the whole time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

robodex posted:

Look claptrap is really annoying at the start of Borderlands 2 but the game makes up for it for basically being totally aware of it and having almost everyone in the game hate on him. I legitimately felt bad for him when he had a birthday party and nobody showed up :smith:

Clap is having a shendig?! You know, I'd go but..... I ain't gonna.

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......... no.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

MissMarple posted:

Best non-obvious advice I can give you is that Crouching offers no bonus to kill time over Standing, it is merely a function for breaking line of sight, and the very act of Standing or Crouching prevents you from shooting for a small time so you can't pop up behind cover and shoot people because you will die. It's the only part that's kinda non-intuitive for the gaming literate.
That's good to know - so it's just used to make you harder to shoot if you're behind a window or something?
This is easily one of the best games i've played on the ipad and it really makes me look forward to Xcom because the tablet is just so right for these type of games. Really, the only thing I dislike about Frozen Synapse is the font could be a little sharper.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Holy poo poo, Kingdom Rush Frontiers comes out next week

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
I havn't posted here in a long while, but me and goon haveblue's new game comes out Thursday.

Merchant to the Stars

You play as the owner of the shop that all the RGP heroes visit to sell the stuff they find in dungeons. You buy their items, scrap for parts, upgrade weapons and try to match the right item to a hero who needs it.

It's all done procedurally so there are millions of items with the kind of Diablo 2 style name/rarity patters.

The game is 99 cents and has no IAP. Anyway I just wanted to give a heads up, and I'll do some promo codes later tonight so that people are off from work and can redeem them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnC0f3M10g
Awesome trailer for my button pressing simulator.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

hippieman posted:

I havn't posted here in a long while, but me and goon haveblue's new game comes out Thursday.

Merchant to the Stars

You play as the owner of the shop that all the RGP heroes visit to sell the stuff they find in dungeons. You buy their items, scrap for parts, upgrade weapons and try to match the right item to a hero who needs it.

It's all done procedurally so there are millions of items with the kind of Diablo 2 style name/rarity patters.

The game is 99 cents and has no IAP. Anyway I just wanted to give a heads up, and I'll do some promo codes later tonight so that people are off from work and can redeem them.

Neat! I've been looking to scratch my Recettear itch and this seems right up my alley. I'll definitely try to grab a code and follow up with a review or buy it when it comes out.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone else playing Quizcross?

It is Words with Friends multiplayer meets tic tac toe where you get a space filled by answering trivia on topics like Geography, Music, Science etc. the trivia is not easy and it scratches my QRank itch (R.I.P.)

Username: Lotkacurves

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
I introduced my son to the old Putt-Putt adventure games recently, and he loves them. We play them together (he's two) and so I can help him, but he still finds it frustrating to use a mouse. Is there anything of comparable quality and complexity for the iPad?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hippieman posted:

Merchant to the Stars

Looks neat but couldnt you have made a font that matched the aesthetic of the game? Pixel art + high definition truetype fonts clash really badly.

Some pixels arent even to scale with each other!
:goonsay:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hippieman posted:

Merchant to the Stars

Going to have to try this when I get home. Never got a chance to play Recettear except for the demo and this looks like it will keep me out of trouble between sets.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I am so ready for this.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

SynthOrange posted:

Looks neat but couldnt you have made a font that matched the aesthetic of the game? Pixel art + high definition truetype fonts clash really badly.

Some pixels arent even to scale with each other!
:goonsay:

Much like the early 1990s we went all over the place. But yeah, the sizes of pixels change wildly. Consider it "indie charm". (I'll look into getting it all to match more, readability was top priority).

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Kingdom Rush was one of the best tower defense games ever. I'm going to throw money at these guys on principle.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

snickles posted:

I introduced my son to the old Putt-Putt adventure games recently, and he loves them. We play them together (he's two) and so I can help him, but he still finds it frustrating to use a mouse. Is there anything of comparable quality and complexity for the iPad?
Actually, there are some of those Putt-Putt and Pajama Sam games ported to the iPad.
http://appshopper.com/search/?searchdev=497839160&sort=name&dir=asc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Readability and supporting every type of iOS display; it's universal and also supports the iPhone 5. The game's pretty much a one-man effort, and font design and choice was the bit that fell through the cracks. It's certainly something we can consider revisiting.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

hippieman posted:

Much like the early 1990s we went all over the place. But yeah, the sizes of pixels change wildly. Consider it "indie charm". (I'll look into getting it all to match more, readability was top priority).

gently caress the haters, that game looks amazing. Be sure to remind us when it is out.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Actually, there are some of those Putt-Putt and Pajama Sam games ported to the iPad.
http://appshopper.com/search/?searchdev=497839160&sort=name&dir=asc

Amazing, thank you. I didn't even look for them on the App Store because I knew the company was defunct and assumed they wouldn't have been ported. How wrong of me.

I'd also forgotten about pajama Sam. I was too old for them at the time they were released (I was probably too old for putt-putt as well but whatever). They don't have our current favorite, Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon, yet. I'll have to send them an email. Thank you!

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
This last weekend I bought an ipod touch (I think it's 4th gen) and it's my first apple product. I was about to buy phoenix wright, when I decided to do a quick Google search to find out the trilogy comes out Thursday. I'm pretty excited to replay these games as I last played them when I imported the Japanese releases.

That said, are there any other visual novels in this vein? I heard ghost trick is good, but I've never played it, only watched the let's play from here. I went through some of the games in the OP, but I'm not sure how up to date it is, and as stated, its my first iOS device;usually I am using Android devices.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So... this is kinda an iOS game, in that your phone is the controller for the on-screen game.

http://chrome.com/campaigns/rollit

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Primworm posted:

This last weekend I bought an ipod touch (I think it's 4th gen) and it's my first apple product. I was about to buy phoenix wright, when I decided to do a quick Google search to find out the trilogy comes out Thursday. I'm pretty excited to replay these games as I last played them when I imported the Japanese releases.

That said, are there any other visual novels in this vein? I heard ghost trick is good, but I've never played it, only watched the let's play from here. I went through some of the games in the OP, but I'm not sure how up to date it is, and as stated, its my first iOS device;usually I am using Android devices.

The Secret of Chateau de Moreau is by no means a perfect title but it fits the bill with plenty of reading, some puzzles and some scenes vaguely reminiscent of Phoenix Wright games where you have to deduce out certain things based on information you have at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Any tips on how to score a 15-kill combo in Dead Ahead? The best I've managed is 12, and that was without trying.

• Locked thread