Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Boz0r posted:

I just bought this rig:

It's very nice, but when I don't have the opportunity to turn the power amp up loud, it sounds very fizzy. Standard loud amp issue, I guess, but is there anything I can get that'll make it possible to play this amp non-loud?

An attenuator or iso cab. That's about it other than getting a solid state power amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Boz0r posted:

I just bought this rig:

It's very nice, but when I don't have the opportunity to turn the power amp up loud, it sounds very fizzy. Standard loud amp issue, I guess, but is there anything I can get that'll make it possible to play this amp non-loud?

This kind of rig isn't really designed for "NATURAL OUTPUT TUBE DISTORTION", but rather to give a clean representation of what the preamp is putting out. There will be a minimum volume that you can get clear sound out of the Marshall, but once you've dialed that in, you can just use the volume control on the Soldano. You may need to dial a higher gain and throw in some compression to simulate the feel of playing at high volume, though. That's why I keep a collection of "teenage wasteland" pedals for home practice: high gain, high compression models(frequently with the word "metal" in their name) designed to sound good in a 16-year-old's bedroom, but are too noisy to play live.

In general (and speaking as a sound guy as well, here), you should be controlling the volume at the preamp stage after you've set it on the power amp. Goes for live sound, too.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

First of all, this thread has been really helpful. Right now I'm in the market for my first "real" amp, and I'm willing to spend anywhere up to $1000. (but would prefer to spend less). The sound I'm going for right now is a mix of layered, bright, chimey, sparkling cleans juxtaposed with really lush, heavy, thick distorted chords (not metal, but more of a 90s alt Siamese Dream era Pumpkins, HUM, Loveless, etc. sound).

Think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwo-KUXe0k
meets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K3KbcmgJQQ

I use a lot of loops and delays. I'm a fuzz/psych lover as well, and need something that plays well with pedals in general. I'm thinking the best route is to get a really clean amp and use pedals for distortion/fuzz. If I do get something with the intention of using amp distortion, I'd prefer something high-gain and channel switchable with an FX loop, with a good clean channel. I don't care about playing the blues or sounding like Hendrix, so a lot of the low-power boutique offerings don't interest me.

Not playing in a band or gigging right now, so something that will not make the neighbors want to murder me would be ideal. Otherwise I would have picked up a Twin or Ampeg or something along those lines off of CL already. Something that would be giggable for the future might be nice though as I do intend to get off my rear end and play out soon.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Princeton Reverb RI- in terms of sound, at low volumes, it's perfect. I LOVE the gorgeous cleans and onboard reverb/trem. The only thing I don't like from testing it in stores is that it seems to break up around the 4-5 mark (and the distortion caused isn't what I'm going for). I haven't had the chance to play around with pedals on one either, so not sure how it will handle that. Is there anything that has a similar sound, but maybe slightly less expensive and has more clean headroom? I think there's probably a wide spectrum of Fender between the Princeton and the Twin that I'm overlooking, to say nothing of other amp brands. A Jazz Chorus or Peavey maybe? I kind of want a tube amp, but I'm not absolutely married to the idea. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing out on something better and cheaper for what I'm trying to do before I go drop a grand on an amp.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
If you want really good and loud cleans without getting breakup you're going to be better off with a Jazz Chorus/JC-120 - check out this demo to get an idea of how nicely it handles distortion pedals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0D1RKn24s

They're also cheaper to maintain and hold up better to abuse...they can also be found used for much less than a Princeton or Twin Reverb. Also I'd stay clear of getting a twin reverb entirely for weight alone - you're going to lose friends fast lugging that thing around to gigs. They're one of the best tube amps ever made (duh) but they're just not practical for most guitarists unless you're routinely playing to crowds of 200+ people and have roadies to move it for you.

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 8, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If you want chimey cleans, you might consider a Vox AC30 which is pretty much the chimey clean amp. It will break up but you might like the way it breaks up more than a Princeton; they're very different amps.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was going to say that. You just can't go wrong with a nice Vox.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

You want to be careful though, PUSSY MASTER 007 because the AC30 is a hell of a lot of amp for someone who's not really gigging. I found one new on sale for (I think) $700 when I was looking for an amp recently and I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it. I ended up picking up a Fender Super Champ after originally not being interested due to the low price and it looking like a practice amp, but it ended up being perfect for what I was looking for.

You might want to check it out, PUSSY MASTER 007.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
nrr is right. The AC30 is even a hell of a lot of amp for most people who are gigging as well, unless you're only playing big clubs. You might try its little brother, or some of the suggested smaller Fender amps (though they won't have the british sounds the Voxes have).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

AC15, or a fender hot rod which still might be a bit much but its a wonderful amp for using with pedals.

Dont get a blackstar, I say this as someone who likes the same kind of tones you describe; the blackstar gain sound is far too modern.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

A fender Blues junior wouldn't be a bad choice either since you mentioned not wanting to piss off your neighbors.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Unless you're buying vintage, or the Korg-made TB model then any of the recent bog-standard (that is, not handwired -- although I think they apply too) incarnations of the AC30 will do you well. They all have master volume knobs that help tame the overall volume. Of course you will still be running through two 12" speakers so it will STILL put out a good amount of sound even at lower volumes. I've played the AC30CC2 and C2 models at reasonable volumes though. It's possible.

-edit-

Also keep in mind that all AC30's chew through tubes pretty fast so have a full tube compliment handy (extra $80 dollars) and be sure to keep the standby switch set in the "on" position as the AC30's circuitry was designed without a standby switch to begin with and using it as designed on, say, a Fender amp, runs you the risk of blowing the rectifier tube.

Blues Juniors are cool but like all Hot Rod-series amps I've worked on they have real issues with the power tube sockets being heated and the solder joints needing to be touched up. If you gig or just play often for long periods of time you'll have to visit a tech every year or two to keep the amp in order.

no dad im not gay! fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 9, 2013

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How loud should I be micing my guitar amp with an SM57? I have a pre-amp, but it seems like I'm using way too much gain on the pre-amp... what is a good ratio of pre-amp volume to amp volume? I have my Superchamp at about a 2 (maybe 2.5) on the volume knob, but have to use about 45 decibels of gain on my interface to pick up an adequate signal.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Anyone have opinions on the Fender made EVH 5150 iii 50watt amp? I'm looking for a metal amp with decent cleans that's louder than my Mesa mini rectifier. From the sound samples I heard I really like it and the cleans have that Fender sparkle to them. I need it because the mini rec isn't cutting it during rehearsal, I'm looking for more headroom.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

coolbian57 posted:

How loud should I be micing my guitar amp with an SM57? I have a pre-amp, but it seems like I'm using way too much gain on the pre-amp... what is a good ratio of pre-amp volume to amp volume? I have my Superchamp at about a 2 (maybe 2.5) on the volume knob, but have to use about 45 decibels of gain on my interface to pick up an adequate signal.

Is there any reason you have the volume at 2? is it just too loud for your rec space/environment otherwise? (I'm not sure how loud 2 is on a Superchamp)

So long as you aren't picking up/creating a lot of extra noise by having the preamp cranked up it's alright, but if you can run the amp louder, do it!

Generally aim to record as loud and as clean as possible, well that is if having the amp loud wont effect your tone or whatever.

You want the sound going into your recording program to sound the same as it does normally, so long as there's no clipping/introducing noise with the preamp it should be fine.

Curious, what interface are you using?

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spikeness posted:

Is there any reason you have the volume at 2? is it just too loud for your rec space/environment otherwise? (I'm not sure how loud 2 is on a Superchamp)

So long as you aren't picking up/creating a lot of extra noise by having the preamp cranked up it's alright, but if you can run the amp louder, do it!

Generally aim to record as loud and as clean as possible, well that is if having the amp loud wont effect your tone or whatever.

You want the sound going into your recording program to sound the same as it does normally, so long as there's no clipping/introducing noise with the preamp it should be fine.

Curious, what interface are you using?

I'm using a Mackie Onyx Blackjack (interface plus pre amps) and an SM57 and GLS ES-57 microphone. I'm not getting the results I thought I should with this setup. Do you have any advice on how I should set my levels? I can use about a 2.5 max on the amp, it's not an especially loud amp but 2.5 is enough to hear over my strings and fill the room, but nothing more.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Heard good things about the 5150 series in general. ats it.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
You might mean the Peavey 5150, which is a bit different than the EVH 5150 which is made by Fender.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
On third thought, I believe I do.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So after my last tube rig got stolen last year (Laney VH100R half stack) I've decided to go digital with a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II. The new generation of amp modeling devices are the first to really nail the sound of great tube amps. Also it's smaller, lighter, and easier to drag in and out of pubs. I'm so happy to be done with the expense, hassle, and volume tube amps require.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What do you recommend along the lines of a Blues Jr or Superchamp that 2 inputs?

Something like a Deluxe but won't shake the ground.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Does anyone have any opinions on Granger amps?
I'm absolutely regretting selling off my Silver Jubilee and was talking about it to a friend earlier and he pointed me towards them (plus they're local) and either their SLO 100 or the AFD variants looked and sound kind of interesting.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Iucounu posted:

So after my last tube rig got stolen last year (Laney VH100R half stack) I've decided to go digital with a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II. The new generation of amp modeling devices are the first to really nail the sound of great tube amps. Also it's smaller, lighter, and easier to drag in and out of pubs. I'm so happy to be done with the expense, hassle, and volume tube amps require.

You will not regret it....and sound guys will love you for it (live).

I programmed the most awesome Boogie Mark V tone earlier in the week on mine my ears have had a boner ever since.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

crm posted:

What do you recommend along the lines of a Blues Jr or Superchamp that 2 inputs?

Something like a Deluxe but won't shake the ground.
Do you mean tone-wise? The Fender Priceton is close--bit more Fender-y to my ears and a better reverb. Do you mean cost-wise? Vox AC15 (but one of the inputs is for the Top Boost channel).

It's hard to find two input amps in the 15-20W range.

Why do you need two inputs? There is probably a better way to solve your problem...

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

crossposting from the new gear thread:

Thanks for the advice yall. Wasn't my first choice, but I found one for $300 in pristine condition on CL and couldn't pass it up. Beautiful cleans, it gets loud but also sounds just as good at 1. The chorus is loving choice, and I'm not even a huge chorus fan/user. I'm having trouble dialing in a -great- distortion tone with pedals, but I'm sure I'll get one with some tweaking/swapping. I'll try to upload some clips later- for now, back to playing covers of New Order/Police/Cocteau Twins/Metallica/any 80s band with chorused guitar.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

Wasn't my first choice, but I found one for $300 in pristine condition on CL and couldn't pass it up.
Not only is that a great solid state amp, it's the only solid state amp worth any amount of money. That's a steal of a price too; worth more than double that easy.

Don't try too hard to make it sound like something else, love it for what it is.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

That's a fuckin great deal. I'm jealous as poo poo, PUSSY MASTER 007

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That JC is amazing and I wish I could find one in Kalamazoo for twice that price. I'd A/B it with a Marshall tube combo like early Sublime rigs.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

Thanks for the advice yall. Wasn't my first choice, but I found one for $300 in pristine condition on CL

You done good, kid. Enjoy!

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

Thanks for the advice yall. Wasn't my first choice, but I found one for $300 in pristine condition on CL and couldn't pass it up. Beautiful cleans, it gets loud but also sounds just as good at 1. The chorus is loving choice, and I'm not even a huge chorus fan/user. I'm having trouble dialing in a -great- distortion tone with pedals, but I'm sure I'll get one with some tweaking/swapping. I'll try to upload some clips later- for now, back to playing covers of New Order/Police/Cocteau Twins/Metallica/any 80s band with chorused guitar.

nice choice. I love my '82 JC120. It simply can't be beat for what it's made for.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Crosspost from gear thread brecasue :drat:

I paid $50 for it. :canada:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

loving hell, went to pick up a rockerverb 50 and there's a drat silver jubilee here.

Quick, opinions?

Edit: gently caress it, I miss my old jubilee too much to pass it up.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 24, 2013

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Just bought my first tube amp after using a Line6 Spider III/IV for several years... Kinda bought it soley based on some reviews and the fact that I'm a huge Tony Iommi fanboy since no store in my country actually sells it! So I had to order it in Germany without being able to play test it first ... Atleast it looks bad-rear end :black101:

So anyone have any experience with the Laney TI100?

I'm giddy as a school girl since it' scheduled to be delivered sometime tomorrow!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hokay so there's a Marshall JCM 900 4502 2x12 combo up for $500 at my local shop. It would be replacing a Peavey VK100 + JCM 900 4x12 and play alongside a DeVille 4x10. How would this hold up? The combo is a must-have, and we just can't get the VK to sound good. We've decided that the options are that 4502 combo, or get a JCM 900 and put it on a 2x12 cabinet, but we'd prefer the combo.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

scuz posted:

Hokay so there's a Marshall JCM 900 4502 2x12 combo up for $500 at my local shop. It would be replacing a Peavey VK100 + JCM 900 4x12 and play alongside a DeVille 4x10. How would this hold up? The combo is a must-have, and we just can't get the VK to sound good. We've decided that the options are that 4502 combo, or get a JCM 900 and put it on a 2x12 cabinet, but we'd prefer the combo.
I beat the holy gently caress out of one of those for a couple of years, the only real issue I had was the tube sockets getting a little loose, no big thing.

I gotta ask tho, why would you prefer the combo?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

I beat the holy gently caress out of one of those for a couple of years, the only real issue I had was the tube sockets getting a little loose, no big thing.

I gotta ask tho, why would you prefer the combo?

Portability. The lovely half stack is such a pain to haul around and we play out weekly. Everyone else has a great-sounding compact setup, so why not this too? :shobon:

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

scuz posted:

Portability. The lovely half stack is such a pain to haul around and we play out weekly. Everyone else has a great-sounding compact setup, so why not this too? :shobon:

I don't blame you for wanting to downsize - a combo 2x12 saves way more space than a head + 4x12 cab, especially if you're using someone's car to lug stuff around to gigs and not a van. Just make sure your casters work and your in business. And unless you're playing regularly in 200+ capacity rooms a half stack is sort of overkill anyway - even more so if you find yourself constantly getting mic'd by sound guys in teeny venues.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

scuz posted:

I should probably qualify myself by saying that I swore off halfstacks a few years ago in lieu of 2x12 cabs.

I like the versatility of head + cab (but I have a variety of heads and cabs, so that may be just me), they seem easier to transport than most combos (even if they're somewhat unwieldy). Bear in mind, I think the last combo I hauled around was a Peavy 5150, so there's that.

I also prefer cabs because the open backs on most combos tend to sound a little anemic compared to a nice sealed 2x12, plus, depending on the venue you can turn a sealed cab around to avoid laser beaming the audience and to keep the sound guy happy. Turning an open back around to do that tend to get a little woofy and can screw the mix up on stage. All this depends on what you're doing, of course.

That said, I liked the sound of my JCM 900 combo, I stuffed the back area full of pillow stuffing (grabbed from Wal-Mart or somewhere similar) to make it a little more responsive, that helped a lot.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

One of my buds has a JCM900 hi gain dual reverb head and JCM800 lead series 4x12 cab he wants me to sell for him. Any idea of what price I should be aiming to put them at? I'm up in Canada if that makes any difference

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nrr posted:

One of my buds has a JCM900 hi gain dual reverb head and JCM800 lead series 4x12 cab he wants me to sell for him. Any idea of what price I should be aiming to put them at? I'm up in Canada if that makes any difference

Hop on Kijiji, type the model in and see what comes up. I'm seeing prices around ~$1500 for the pair in the Toronto area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

Be aware that one particular model (I think the Mk5) is somehow more desirable than the others and is apparently worth a chunk more. I could be totally wrong but I swear I read something about that recently.