Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

PhotoKirk posted:

Full Disclosure: I am biased. I have a Gator Pit, I work for Gator Pit.

Ever shipped one of those to Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

West side, Beltway 8 and West Little York.

Hrmm, I may take you up on that some time, I live 35~40 minutes south of Houston.

Also does Ritch normally carry a .45 on his hip at the shop, if so that is awesome and I want to meet him.

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 29, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Taxes posted:

How large was the butt? That's quite a long time.

Like 13 pounds. I wasn't able to tend it for the first 9 hours or so.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Hrmm, I may take you up on that some time, I live 35~40 minutes south of Houston.

Also does Ritch normally carry a .45 on his hip at the shop, if so that is awesome and I want to meet him.

All day, every day. I think that's a Springfield, I usually carry my Gen2 Glock 17 or my BHP.

Give me a head's up when you (or anyone else) wants to meet up at the shop. I'm usually working remotely.

VERTiG0 posted:

Ever shipped one of those to Canada?

Yup. We ship them all over the world. We just sent a Captivator to Finland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIm0fhhPQVA

This one went to Scotland.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

All day, every day. I think that's a Springfield, I usually carry my Gen2 Glock 17 or my BHP.

Give me a head's up when you (or anyone else) wants to meet up at the shop. I'm usually working remotely.

Sure will do.
I guess you film/edit their videos as I assume that is your name drop at the end there?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Sure will do.
I guess you film/edit their videos as I assume that is your name drop at the end there?

Yup. Drop me an email at (namefromvideo)@gmail.com if you want to see the shop.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

Yup. Drop me an email at (namefromvideo)@gmail.com if you want to see the shop.

Will do!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

polyfractal posted:

We recently purchased a propane grill because my girlfriend wanted to use it not bother with charcoal :(. Is it possible to smoke with a propane grill? I've read about putting wood chips/chunks in slightly vented foil and throwing that right on the heating elements. Will that work?

I know it won't be as good as a real smoker (or even a charcoal grill), but I'd really like to do some smoking this summer.

I had great luck with my propane grill as a smoker.
Soak 1/2 your woodchips in water/coffee/juice (flavoured liquid of choice) for at least 1/2 an hour. Mix the wet/dry 50/50, wrap in foil (shiny side in, not sure if it matters). Place the pouch under the grill, but overtop of the grease/whatever guards on your BBQ's burner. Turn that specific burner on low, and away you go. You may need to play a bit, but I just left the foil wrapped and folded but not too tight - it could "Breathe", but it couldn't outright burn. I'd get 30-40 minutes per foil pouch. I'd usually start with 2 or 3, and then just replace one every 30 minutes or so. Not as good as my MES, but still damned good, and I still use the trick every now and then for quick smokes that need less time - adds a nice mild smoke flavour to burgers, for example.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, attempt #3 at learning this grill. Doing the minion method this time, going to try to keep the temp at a steady 300f. From what I can tell, the grill is pretty well sealed, my earlier issue was simply letting it get hot and then trying to choke it back down.

I've got wings and drumsticks in a brine of saltwater, montreal chicken spice and chilli flakes for the last 1.5 hours.

Do we have a normal grilling thread that I should be participating in ?

Also, can anyone give opinions on these electric smokers ?

http://tinyurl.com/nmahf8y

The one that caught my eye is this cuisinart
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/Smokers/PRD~0851153P/Cuisinart+Electric+Smoker.jsp?locale=en

Home Depot.ca also has these smokers.
http://tinyurl.com/p8ols3j

I'd like something that I can add those pellet things to, and just go to bed and get up and pull it out at noon and not have to worry.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

jonathan posted:

Ok, attempt #3 at learning this grill. Doing the minion method this time, going to try to keep the temp at a steady 300f. From what I can tell, the grill is pretty well sealed, my earlier issue was simply letting it get hot and then trying to choke it back down.

I've got wings and drumsticks in a brine of saltwater, montreal chicken spice and chilli flakes for the last 1.5 hours.

Do we have a normal grilling thread that I should be participating in ?

Also, can anyone give opinions on these electric smokers ?

http://tinyurl.com/nmahf8y

The one that caught my eye is this cuisinart
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/Smokers/PRD~0851153P/Cuisinart+Electric+Smoker.jsp?locale=en

Home Depot.ca also has these smokers.
http://tinyurl.com/p8ols3j

I'd like something that I can add those pellet things to, and just go to bed and get up and pull it out at noon and not have to worry.

It's my understanding that the Cuisinart smoker is a Masterbuilt MES 30 without the meat temperature probe, and a less-functional wood chip loading slot. They claim to take pellets rather than chips, but loading pellets into the "chip tray" of one of these would likely not work very well.

If you get this, you'll need something like a Maverick ET732 to keep an eye on the temperature of what you're smoking ($65.99 CAD). I also highly recommend an A-MAZE-N Pellet smoker for any electric smoker you purchase. This one fits an MES 30: http://www.amazenproducts.com/productdetails.asp?productcode=amnps5x8

I think with the AMNPS and a probe thermometer of some sort (the ET732 is great if you don't want to go outside and monitor the temp, but you could get away with a normal kitchen probe-on-a-string style) you could have good success with this smoker. There are quite a few negative reviews regarding the build quality, though, so caveat emptor.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PainBreak posted:

It's my understanding that the Cuisinart smoker is a Masterbuilt MES 30 without the meat temperature probe, and a less-functional wood chip loading slot. They claim to take pellets rather than chips, but loading pellets into the "chip tray" of one of these would likely not work very well.

If you get this, you'll need something like a Maverick ET732 to keep an eye on the temperature of what you're smoking ($65.99 CAD). I also highly recommend an A-MAZE-N Pellet smoker for any electric smoker you purchase. This one fits an MES 30: http://www.amazenproducts.com/productdetails.asp?productcode=amnps5x8

I think with the AMNPS and a probe thermometer of some sort (the ET732 is great if you don't want to go outside and monitor the temp, but you could get away with a normal kitchen probe-on-a-string style) you could have good success with this smoker. There are quite a few negative reviews regarding the build quality, though, so caveat emptor.

This is an awesome post because you are awesome. Thanks! I Will look into all of the above, They have a display model so I will go check the build quality.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Home Hardware carries that Maverick thermometer for $59.95 FYI.

Also I would take back that dumb Canadian Tire thing and get a separate smoker and separate grill. Hell for that price you could get Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and a nice Weber One Touch grill and still have money left over.

(~$339 for an 18.5" WSM and $119 for a 22.5" OneTouch Silver)

That goddamn Coleman thing was $700?! Holy christ

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 1, 2013

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I'm looking to get an electronic smoker. I figure I don't have the patience to babysit a charcoal smoker, I want to try out smoking meats and if I like the result with electronic smoker I might get a charcoal one later. My budget is around $300. Anyone have any recommendations? Are the auto loading wood biscuits a good thing, or should I avoid them? Do I still need to get a maverick type thermometer to measure internal temperature of the smoker or would a meat thermometer be enough?

e: MES 30/40 meaning a Masterbuilt Smoker? Like this one? http://www.homedepot.ca/product/electric-digital-smoker-with-window/825660 Whats A-maze-n (AMPS)? Thanks for your help dude, sorry for my ignorance!!

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 2, 2013

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Maverick - yes.
MES 30/40 - yes (don't get the puck system)
A-maze-n (AMPS) - yes.
Wood pellets - yes.

Those 4 items as a combo will give you awesome smoking experience and probably add 5lbs to your waist.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Sunday! Anybody up before sunrise getting those coals lit up?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

VERTiG0 posted:

Sunday! Anybody up before sunrise getting those coals lit up?

No, but I was going to heat up the MeS for...something. And its raining. Hard. Hard hard. And the power keeps going out. And its just a gross day.
I WANT BBQ WEATHER DAMNIT

Pork shoulder next weekend if its nice out I'm thinking

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Yeah. It's rainy and stormy here. Sucks.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

We had a light shower overnight here, but the WSM stayed at 225 or so the whole night. Now if this drat pork butt will finally hit 190 I can get it resting.

I'm using the minion method for lighting my coals, but I've found that after about 12 hours it stops holding steady temperature and starts to decline. I assume this means I should add more coals at this point - do you have to get them started in the chimney, or can you just put cold coals on top of the already hot coals mid-smoke?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VERTiG0 posted:

Home Hardware carries that Maverick thermometer for $59.95 FYI.

Also I would take back that dumb Canadian Tire thing and get a separate smoker and separate grill. Hell for that price you could get Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and a nice Weber One Touch grill and still have money left over.

(~$339 for an 18.5" WSM and $119 for a 22.5" OneTouch Silver)

That goddamn Coleman thing was $700?! Holy christ

Nah I got it on sale. Justification was we needed a grill, this one is sturdy and built solid, and I liked the dual fuel option. Both grills are well built. The price for a decent gas grill was only $100 less so we went with this one. Plus it looks pretty on my patio.

In hind site I could have found a cheaper gas and then got a charcoal smoker but whatever. I like the flexibility if having all 3 styles of cooking.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Korwen posted:

I'm using the minion method for lighting my coals, but I've found that after about 12 hours it stops holding steady temperature and starts to decline. I assume this means I should add more coals at this point - do you have to get them started in the chimney, or can you just put cold coals on top of the already hot coals mid-smoke?

As long as it is still burning, just toss them in unlit. It also helps to kick the legs once a while to knock the ashes off.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Decided to toss a brisket in today. Tuscan Herb olive oil, Half and half blend of Tellicherry black peppercorns and Sarawak white peppercorns, Salt, and Rosemary.

Been in since around 11am. Crutched it at 7pm. Waiting for gold. Will toss up pics soon!

Update:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 3, 2013

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Digital_Jesus posted:

Decided to toss a brisket in today. Tuscan Herb olive oil, Half and half blend of Tellicherry black peppercorns and Sarawak white peppercorns, Salt, and Rosemary.

Been in since around 11am. Crutched it at 7pm. Waiting for gold. Will toss up pics soon!

Update:

It looks delicious but that is the smallest brisket I've ever seen. How big is it?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

cornface posted:

It looks delicious but that is the smallest brisket I've ever seen. How big is it?

It was around a 5lbs flat. last month when I went a shoppin the guy I usually get my cuts from didn't have a whole packer, and that flat hit the 30 day mark in the fridge, so it was time to get it cooked.

I've gotta remember to run to the store sometime this week and pick up a packer for my party in july though!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

jonathan posted:

Nah I got it on sale. Justification was we needed a grill, this one is sturdy and built solid, and I liked the dual fuel option. Both grills are well built. The price for a decent gas grill was only $100 less so we went with this one. Plus it looks pretty on my patio.

In hind site I could have found a cheaper gas and then got a charcoal smoker but whatever. I like the flexibility if having all 3 styles of cooking.

The only problem is that it only does those style of cooking in a mediocre fashion. Definitely save up for a dedicated smoker, even if its a cheapo, there are lots of things you can do to greatly improve the quality of a cheap Brinkmann.

On an unrelated note, if anyone is in the market for a quality, budget priced, instant read meat thermometer, check out Thermoworks RT600C. I've been using one for about a month now and it has been absolutely great. Makes sense given this is the same company that makes the "legendary" ThermaPen. I have no complaints at all about it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

Update:

drat man that looks amazing, I have never used rosemary but after seeing these pics I am going to be using that idea. Looks tasty as hell.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Out of curiosity, is there any particular brand of lump charcoal that is better than most? I got a Vision Kamado from costco a few months ago that I've been putting through the paces(It's friggin awesome btw) and I've mostly used Cowboy or Royal Oak and I'm just not 100% happy with either.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I use Dragons Breath: http://dragonbreathcharcoal.com

Fantastic stuff. Never lets me down. Otherwise if I'm feeling lazy or run low on dragon's I just use kingsford. Meh.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Engineer posted:

I got a Vision Kamado from costco a few months ago that I've been putting through the paces(It's friggin awesome btw)
So is this basically the same thing as a BGE just without being green? Because the kit at Costco looks pretty good if so.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Safety Engineer posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any particular brand of lump charcoal that is better than most? I got a Vision Kamado from costco a few months ago that I've been putting through the paces(It's friggin awesome btw) and I've mostly used Cowboy or Royal Oak and I'm just not 100% happy with either.

Cowboy is pretty bad.

Royal Oak has some of the very best reviews. Actually pulled from the same pile as BGE, the big pieces go to BGE for a huge markup, the rest go to Royal Oak. Why are you not happy with it?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Digital_Jesus posted:

Fantastic stuff. Never lets me down. Otherwise if I'm feeling lazy or run low on dragon's I just use kingsford. Meh.

If you can find this get this

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 4, 2013

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

MoosetheMooche posted:

e: MES 30/40 meaning a Masterbuilt Smoker? Like this one? http://www.homedepot.ca/product/electric-digital-smoker-with-window/825660 Whats A-maze-n (AMPS)? Thanks for your help dude, sorry for my ignorance!!

Yes, MES is the common abbreviation used for the masterbuilt electric smoker - a very popular device.

AMNPS is the aftermarket upgrade to the MES. Instead of using the built in tray and having to fill it up every 40 minutes, the AMNPS allows you to use pellets for like 8 hours straight (think overnight smokes).

The AMNPS device (really just a metal mesh "maze" - hence the maze in the name) was specifically built for the MES originally and fits perfectly in the bottom. It also produces the "true blue smoke" all the time which imparts flavour and not bitterness to your food. Bonus is that you can use it for cold smoking too!

Pellets are easily found, cheap and are available in many types of wood. The pucks are not.

The only thing that an electric smoker will not do is produce that legendary smoke ring on meat. That requires lots of carbon monoxide, which only gets made with charcoal or wood.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

sellouts posted:

Cowboy is pretty bad.

There are a surprising number of posts on BBQ forums about finding pieces of plywood in Cowboy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm a big fan of wicked good charcoal, made from Brazillian hardwoods

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Safety Engineer posted:

Doesn't Kamodo reccommend using their coconut husk charcoal? The only problem I can see is you'd have to buy an entire pallet of the stuff.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Digital_Jesus posted:

Fantastic stuff.

Seconding this, Our local BGE dealer carries it and it is great. They push it over the BGE brand and they sell both for the same price.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I just picked up an 18.5" WSM. I've read some differing opinions on doing a "burn-in" for the new cooker. I've seen people suggest running a full load of charcoal on an empty smoker, smoking bacon/fatty junk parts of food, just jumping right in with a cook, and everything in between. What say you goons? Should I go straight for cooking or do some dry/junk runs first?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
The first thing I did with my WSM fresh out of the box was smoke some ribs. They were delicious.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Doug posted:

I just picked up an 18.5" WSM. I've read some differing opinions on doing a "burn-in" for the new cooker. I've seen people suggest running a full load of charcoal on an empty smoker, smoking bacon/fatty junk parts of food, just jumping right in with a cook, and everything in between. What say you goons? Should I go straight for cooking or do some dry/junk runs first?

I just wiped mine out with a sponge and started cooking. You should probably start with something that isn't going to be real sensitive to temperature fluctuation, like a butt without a lot of sugar on it, because it might take a couple of cooks before all the air gaps seal up with gunk.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I did a burn in with a full load of coals to get an idea of how the vents worked and what kind of burn time I could expect. It was helpful and worth whatever the coals cost.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wiped it down, smoked some bacon, then got to work with a pork butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Doug posted:

Just cook something. Just know its probably going to run a little hotter overall and probably wont be quite as stable as it will later on. I second cornface's recommendation, I think thats a good way to start off.