Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Alikchi posted:

The new technology system is so far superior to the old one it's unbelievable.

Seriously. At first I was lukewarm towards it, but then I got one of those "philosopher found" events. Before this patch I would say yes if I had money to spare and no if not. I didn't even really care what the money was invested in, and certainly didn't look at the tech screen to check whether it made a difference. Now you get a pretty huge pile of research points you can then invest at your leisure. I've actually found myself considering which bonus to get right now a couple of times already.

Also, in case anyone here is a sperglord min-maxer like me and keeps periodically checking the tech screen: you get a notification once you've accumulated enough points to invest in any tech of your choosing. So unless you're waiting for a specific, comparatively cheap tech advance, you can just ignore it altogether (basically like before, except you don't have to worry about inheritances changing your foci).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Alikchi posted:

The new technology system is so far superior to the old one it's unbelievable.

It is, but it breaks apart hardcore if you give yourself a superpowered ruler with the designer. high learning + one of the research gives you a huge amount of rp.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Does the size of your raider army relate to how quickly they pillage gold, or is it a set amount?

Also it seems the loot bar on owned provinces affects your tax income?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Unnnnnf waiting to get Old Gods 'til CK2+ gets updated come onnnnnnn Wiz

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DrPop posted:

Unnnnnf waiting to get Old Gods 'til CK2+ gets updated come onnnnnnn Wiz

Wiz on the Paradox forums posted:

I am making a compatch, earliest in the weekend probably more realistically next weekend.

You may be waiting a while, then.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 29, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm installing the game and I was wondering with all the religious options is it possible to try and rule as a Jew?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

gfanikf posted:

So I'm installing the game and I was wondering with all the religious options is it possible to try and rule as a Jew?
Now that would be ridiculous.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

gfanikf posted:

Nope, you'll have to wait for CK2+ like everyone else.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a mod that lets you hear DLC music without the ingame factors?

Okay, I believe this should do it.

Actually had to change it a little because it wasn't working right before.

Question for anyone who does modding, how do duplicate entries interact with each other? Originally I just had the .txt files in there normally without them set to replace the original files (ie without replace_path = "music" set), but I got some really weird results like that. Shouldn't entries in your mod's .txt files override the default ones entirely? Or is it more complicated than that?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I've played CKII from day one, but I don't think I've ever had as much pure, unadulterated fun as I did playing Jorvik. Raiding, concubines, blots, unique events, and steamrolling Anglo-Saxons all day long. Plus, I never realized just how cool gavelkind is. It's a real challenge to keep your realm together with a dozen sons, but it is quite an accomplishment. I imagine it gets less fun when it happens multiple times though.

Anyway, ToG is definitely my favorite CKII expansion/DLC yet. I would criticize Paradox for being Scandinavia-centric, but they really made the viking experience great.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone else run into a problem where Norse men's faces and background keep changing? I thought it was kind of funny at first but it's getting difficult to remember which son/rival is which when they constantly rotate appearances.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just ran around Scotland executing and sacrificing all the Earls and Petty Kings I could find. This is awesome :black101:

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

The CK2 thread is dead, long live the CK2 thread.

Holy :lol: 5 pages already. Vikings really get goons motivated.

Beard!

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
how do you get the ability to organize a raid/or just loot a province without taking it....I'm not trying to annex a rich province just grab some gold and leave

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder what they'll do next, since they're going to keep releasing DLC as long as people keep buying them.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ymel posted:

Seems like they forgot the Schism doesn't happen until 1054, there are no orthodox and catholics at 867!

Apparently they realised this, but decided for gameplay reasons to have a divide earlier. They justify it by saying that while they were still technically together until the mid-11th C, they were pretty divided theologically speaking. It's a reasonable compromise considering the amount of work they would have needed to put into making it more realistic - Rome was at odds with Constantinople well before that, but I agree they should have done something with it, even if that was just a few events for flavour. I would hope that if they ever do a theocracy DLC (which I guess would likely be their last) they would address the Catholic/Orthodox issue a bit more alongside expanding papal elections etc. At any rate, I find it hard to complain given how much stuff has been added by the Old Gods.

Also, has anyone been a little dull and played a standard Catholic ruler from the earliest startdate? While being a viking is great fun, I can imagine it would be very frustrating to have tons of them running all over your realm as Charles the Bald or whatever (historically accurate, if nothing else).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

how do you get the ability to organize a raid/or just loot a province without taking it....I'm not trying to annex a rich province just grab some gold and leave

Raise your levies, put them into a single army, and then in the leader management screen click the blue button that says "Make Looter". Then pick a province and make the weak fear you.

quote:

Also, has anyone been a little dull and played a standard Catholic ruler from the earliest startdate? While being a viking is great fun, I can imagine it would be very frustrating to have tons of them running all over your realm as Charles the Bald or whatever (historically accurate, if nothing else).

I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to play a Catholic ruler in a Viking nation's sphere of interest because the Vikings are built to kick the poo poo out of everyone from day one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

1stGear posted:

I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to play a Catholic ruler in a Viking nation's sphere of interest because the Vikings are built to kick the poo poo out of everyone from day one.

I'm gonna try out Alfred the Great once I'm done with my current game. Dude has frightening stats.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Kainser posted:

Gavelkind seems to be a lot more logical with the division of the inheritance now. It's pretty great.

vvv: reform the faith

I don't know about that. In my Harald Fairhair game, my first son got exactly one non-capital county, while my second son got the three counties I had since the start of the game and had fully upgraded, including the capital.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Apparently they realised this, but decided for gameplay reasons to have a divide earlier. They justify it by saying that while they were still technically together until the mid-11th C, they were pretty divided theologically speaking. It's a reasonable compromise considering the amount of work they would have needed to put into making it more realistic - Rome was at odds with Constantinople well before that, but I agree they should have done something with it, even if that was just a few events for flavour. I would hope that if they ever do a theocracy DLC (which I guess would likely be their last) they would address the Catholic/Orthodox issue a bit more alongside expanding papal elections etc. At any rate, I find it hard to complain given how much stuff has been added by the Old Gods.

Once I get tired of being Vikings, which may be never, I want to give the Byzantines a go from the Old Gods start date. The weakener middle east and extra two hundred years will make it a lot easier to reform the Roman Empire and I guess you can even mend the schism before it technically even began.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

From playing in MP it seems like the old gods isnt very well balanced. The norse seems to get a poo poo ton of troops but all the other pagans get dick all. So all the Norse countries have well over 1000 troops and playing as a slavic pagan all I get is around 300 troops, not even enough to siege provinces.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 29, 2013

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

if only :allears:.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

I invited that girl to my court and she wasn't anything special. Just a mystic with low stats. I married her to some lower relative, and her son was like the second coming of Jesus. I have never seen so many green traits. Zero red ones.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh man I bet Paradox are pissed right now. When I enable dlc in the new releases list it's hidden on page 2 because of a mountain of Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC :v:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I wonder how moddable the conditions to allow a ruler to create raiding armies are. Whether it's only tied to religion. As vikings weren't the only pirates to terrorize Europe at this time, the period encompassed in the Old Gods, and epsecially the 10th and 11th centuries were high points for Muslim pirates in the Mediterranean, to the point that Italians as good as gave up living along the coast because of the pirates and began to fear (and tear down) Roman ruins because they were often used as strongholds by the pirates. Especially notable pirate strongholds were Sicily and Crete, and Tunis as well (especially as the place where people sold their captives into slavery).

Ofcourse this would make life hell for catholics in the Mediterranean as well as by the Atlantic, though it would probably seriously weaken some of the Carolingian successor states, which would be a good thing.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh man I bet Paradox are pissed right now. When I enable dlc in the new releases list it's hidden on page 2 because of a mountain of Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC :v:
I don't think they are to bothered really:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kainser posted:

I don't think they are to bothered really:

Good point, this game is printing money.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
edit: ^^^^^^:argh::argh:

Demiurge4 posted:

Can't be too pissed. It's at the top of the Top Sellers list.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

After so long with CK2+ playing as a TOG Viking is easy mode++. I would have to try to lose, everyone loves me, if I need cash I can literally just go and get it, ultrapowerful pagan CBs...

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Wingless posted:

The CK2 thread is dead, long live the CK2 thread.

Holy :lol: 5 pages already. Vikings really get goons motivated.

Beard!

Pillaging gets me all hot and bearded.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

This viking thing is pretty fun so far. I always thought that a good raiding and pillaging system was sorely need in this game right from the beginning. I've only played for like an hour so far but it's fun just happily sailing around looting everything. There seemed to be quite a lot of raiding going on when I was playing. I had Icelandic vikings come loot my rear end while I was away looting someone else. By the time I had troops organized they were gone.

I hope they keep pumping out more DLC like this.

Alikchi posted:

After so long with CK2+ playing as a TOG Viking is easy mode++. I would have to try to lose, everyone loves me, if I need cash I can literally just go and get it, ultrapowerful pagan CBs...

I wonder if it's only like this early on? This is supposed to start out right at the height of the viking age right? I figured the vikings are supposed to be really powerful at the start, but they get less and less money from looting as time goes on, as coastal provinces become more and more built up and fortified.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
To raid, do you need to organize an invasion? I can't seem to loot anything cause its always considered a friendly territory.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JosefStalinator posted:

To raid, do you need to organize an invasion? I can't seem to loot anything cause its always considered a friendly territory.

I think you need to target people who are not of your religion.

Weirdly enough, I have yet to play an extensive Viking game with The Old Gods! All today I've just been Khan-ing my way through Europe and having a merry old time while at it.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

JosefStalinator posted:

You must put your raiding army in looting mode (button next to merge etc.) before you send them out to pillage stuff.

And yeah, you can't do it to people with the same religion.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

From playing in MP it seems like the old gods isnt very well balanced. The norse seems to get a poo poo ton of troops but all the other pagans get dick all. So all the Norse countries have well over 1000 troops and playing as a slavic pagan all I get is around 300 troops, not even enough to siege provinces.

The beginning is a little rough, yes. I started with two counties in my demesne and one vassal county, and even when I was fighting only plucky little OPMs around me I would usually have to get mercenaries to actually lay siege after beating their army in the field. But it gets a lot more reasonable pretty quickly. I'd say it was about the first 2 or 3 wars that went like that, and there were starts like that in the 1066 start pre-patch/DLC, too, so I didn't mind it too much. This is not to say TOG is balanced. I'd be shocked if a Paradox game/patch/DLC was balanced right out the gate.

1stGear posted:

I'm not playing as a Catholic ruler (Sorbs -> Kingdom of Pomerania), but the one run-in with Vikings I've had was a little underwhelming, honestly. I got a warning that some Norse adventurer was eyeing my lands, then the king of Sweden declared war trying to subjugate me (i.e. take my kingdom title and make me his vassal), and then the adventurer joined in on the pile. The adventurer was a complete pushover, and Sweden was more than happy to take a white peace after I beat the armies they sent and took exactly one Swedish holding. I'm still wary, though. I've got two navigable rivers in my kingdom now, so if the AI got its poo poo together they could just roll over me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just picked up old gods. Time to raid :black101:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Anyone play the more defence-minded pagans yet, like the Romuvas or Suomenuskos?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
While I was waiting for my 1-year-old Queen to come of age I sailed off to the Mediterannean from Sweden for shits and giggles and kicked the poo poo out of basically everyone. Kicked around some minor Orthodox duchies on the Black Sea, raided my way up and down the coast of Africa, even sacked Rome. Pillaged some Byzantine holdings in Crimea and ran away as a couple of giant doomstacks made their way up the coast, and I refuse to believe they didn't say 'meep meep' before doing so.

Nobody is safe. It's glorious.

Created the merchant republic of Gotland a couple centuries early and they gave me 225 boats as levies :psyduck:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Kainser posted:

And yeah, you can't do it to people with the same religion.

Are you sure? I'm Norse, playing as Ivar the Boneless and I was raided by Norse vikings from Iceland when I was playing earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

You just select the army you wish to send of looting and click "toogle looter" it should be in the top right of the army display when you select it (this has to be done in friendly territory). If the province you are raiding is neighboring a county you control directly the gold goes directly into your treasury, if it is a coastal province that does not border one of your counties, then you have to bring ships. By clicking on the fleet you can see how much loot it can carry off and how much it is currently carrying (automatically added by adjacent raiders), this shows up in the window that appears when you select your fleet.

• Locked thread