Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

C-Euro posted:

A few weeks ago I got my blood pressure checked (no, this was not motivated by the blood pressure thread in GBS) and one of my numbers was high. Since I'm in pretty good shape and going through a stressful job change + move I think I know why it's high, but just in case do you all have any advice for things I should/shouldn't cook with in order to keep my blood pressure at an OK level? Yes, they did tell me to watch how much salt I eat.

Avoid cheese, salt (and all the other not really salt things that have sodium), and fried food.

I had an insane headache for a week so I went to get checked out, 185/120, not cool. Prescribed me a 2 week blood pressure medication and they gave me a shot and let me go home when it was back to 150. Ate like a bird all weekend and it's back to 118 in my left arm and 135 in my right, so I'm not sure if it was the 4-day weekend away from work or what.

No more large pizzas for lunch etc. 31 and in good shape so it's kind of a letdown to not be able to pig out every meal anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

What's the secret sauce on making ice cream? I have an ice cream maker I got for my wedding and summer's coming and god damnit I want some ice cream/sorbet/whateverthefuckyoucanmake

Make this. The instructions are spread out through the original post. If you want to make it, and don't have archives, I can go through and consolidate all of the steps here.

Pears Foster with Homemade Pear and Honey Ice Cream

Pear and Honey Ice Cream:

3 lbs Anjou Pears, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups Heavy Cream (Must be Heavy cream, or possibly "Double Cream?")
6 Egg Yolks
3/4 cup Pear Nectar
1/2 cup Pear Brandy
3/4 cup White Sugar
1 Vanilla Bean
1 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Clover Honey

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
You're 31 and you'd pig down for every meal and you are in good shape? I wish I could do that :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doom Rooster posted:

Make this. The instructions are spread out through the original post. If you want to make it, and don't have archives, I can go through and consolidate all of the steps here.

Please do

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Find/replace in Word turning the images into timgs was actually super easy, so here is the entire post.

Doom Rooster for his Newbie ICSA posted:

Pears Foster with Homemade Pear and Honey Ice Cream

Pear and Honey Ice Cream:

Ingredients(not pictured)

3 lbs Anjou Pears, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups Heavy Cream (Must be Heavy cream, or possibly "Double Cream?")
6 Egg Yolks
3/4 cup Pear Nectar
1/2 cup Pear Brandy
3/4 cup White Sugar
1 Vanilla Bean
1 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Clover Honey

Apologies for no ingredients picture. I let my lovely assistant know that I was going to need her help peeling the pears, and next thing I knew, she had already peeled all of them, and set them into a bowl tossed in the lemon juice. It was magical. If you don't have a lovely assistant, get one. It's worth the upkeep costs.

Anyway! Start out by peeling, coring and slicing up all of your pears. It is very important that you get ALL of the skin off, as pear skin is very tough, and even once blended will greatly degrade the texture of the ice cream. As you are slicing them up, put them into a bowl with your lemon juice, and toss them, so that they do not turn brown while you are finishing the whole batch.

Once they are all done, put them into a small pot with the lemon juice from the bowl, the pear nectar, and the pear brandy.

Cook them with the lid ON, until they look like this:

They should be very, very tender. Since I was cooking with these the day that I bought them, they were a little under ripe, so this took me about 20 minutes. Once they are there though, go ahead and toss them into the blender and work up to the liquefy setting.

Leave it on there for a good 60 seconds, until it looks like this:

You want 3 cups of this exactly, cooled to room temperature. Anything left over after that, enjoy as pear sauce. It is amazing by itself.

Now to start the cream base! Separate out all of your egg yolks and then add them to a large bowl with the sugar in it.

You want to whisk these together until the mixture is much lighter in color, and forms smooth, thick ribbons.

Go ahead and bring 1 cup of your heavy cream up to a light simmer. While this is going, slice your vanilla bean down the center and scrape out the gooey seeds in the middle.

Remove the cream from the heat, then add very slowly to the egg and sugar mixture.

Return this to the cream pot, add and heat over medium-low heat until it coats the back of a spoon like the picture below. If you have a thermometer, this is about 175 degrees. Do NOT go above 180.

Once this stage has been reached, strain the mixture back into the large bowl you were using before:

Add in the other 2 cups of cream, as well as the honey, and finally the pear mixture from before.

Whisk this together well, cover the bowl in plastic wrap, then let sit for at least 12 hours.

Once that time has passed, process per your ice cream machine's manufacturer's instructions! As a few tips though, put a spatula and whatever vessel you are going to be storing the ice cream in, in the freeze to cool down before you start turning the ice cream. Also, do not stop at the stage below. That is not done.

This is what you really want.

Once it has reached this stage, pull the bowl and spatula out of the freezer, and transfer your mixture quickly to that bowl. Any melting here, will turn into hard, dense ice cream later.

Quickly place plastic wrap directly down on top of the ice cream, and put back into the freezer to set for at least 3 hours.

Pears Foster

Ingredients:

3 Golden Bosch Pears
3 Forelle Pears
1 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 stick Butter
1/3 cup Pear Brandy
1/3 cup Aged Rum
1 tsp Cinnammon

You may notice that I am using light brown sugar and regular aged rum, instead of the dark versions of each ingredient. I did this because I was worried that the dark molasses taste would overpower the subtlety of the natural pear flavor. After tasting, I feel that it worked perfectly.

Start off by beginning your sauce. melt your butter in a large pan, then add your brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble steadily.

Go ahead and add your pear brandy, and flame it for kicks if you want to. No biggie. Just some fire inside. Once the flaming subsides, or after it has been bubbling for a good 30 seconds, go ahead and turn off the heat, and look to preparing your pears.

Peel, core, slice.

Add into the pan with your sauce.

Turn the heat back on and cook over medium-high heat, spooning the bubbling sauce over the exposed sides of pear.

After a few minutes, go ahead and flip the pears over, but continue to spoon the sauce over the newly-exposed sides.

Once your pears are semi-translucent, and the thinner edges are starting to become pliant, add your rum, and fire that bad boy up. If you have a gas stove, you can just swirl the pan, then tilt it so that the flame from the stove comes very close to the edge of the pan. If you are using an electric stove, get a fireplace starter to use.

Keep swirling the pan until the flame goes out. Check for all of your body hair. Look at your lovely assistant to gauge how impressed she is. Keep on heat until the pears are perfectly cooked. You want them to be soft, but still have some body to them.

While those finish cooking, pull the ice cream out of the fridge and spoon some into bowls. Admire the texture of the ice cream.

If your freezer tends to make ice cream rock solid, pull the ice cream out and put it into your refrigerator about an hour before you want to serve.

Once the pears are done, turn off the heat and spoon pears and sauce liberally over ice cream.

Enjoy!

The Pear and Honey ice cream is easily the best ice cream I have ever had. Paired with the foster sauce and warm, soft pears, it could be one of the best things that that I have ever eaten. Well worth the effort.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 28, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Slavvy posted:

My boss, who seems to be somewhat of an expert on slow cookery, has repeatedly urged me to make macaroni and cheese in my recently acquired cooker. However, in the instructions that came with the cooker it specifically tells you not to cook pasta in it because x y z will happen and it'll come out like poo poo. Who's right here? Is macaroni and cheese possible in a slow cooker?

There's an America's Test Kitchen cookbook for slow cookers, Slow Cooker Revolution. It has a lot of pasta recipes so it seems to be a thing that's entirely possible.

However, it appears that the mac and cheese recipe they have is accomplished through a few tricks, such as using a tinfoil lining in the cooker and doing some precooking of ingredients.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Best way to reheat pork belly? I'm a bit afraid to microwave it. :ohdear:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Best way to reheat pork belly? I'm a bit afraid to microwave it. :ohdear:

Deep fry it. Or pan sear it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Deep fry it. Or pan sear it.

If the skin isn't puffed yet you can roast it on low until warm through then crank up the broiler to puff the skin.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
just let it come up to room temp and eat it

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

put it in stand mixer and make rillettes

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Slavvy posted:

My boss, who seems to be somewhat of an expert on slow cookery, has repeatedly urged me to make macaroni and cheese in my recently acquired cooker. However, in the instructions that came with the cooker it specifically tells you not to cook pasta in it because x y z will happen and it'll come out like poo poo. Who's right here? Is macaroni and cheese possible in a slow cooker?

A couple years ago, this topic came up, and I did it for science's sake. Don't do it, it's a retarded idea and makes a nice bowl of mushy starchwater.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I bought a can of butter beans without having a specific plan for them. How can I use them? I vaguely remember some tv chef using them for a type of salad, but I can't remember how.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

YEAH DOG posted:

A couple years ago, this topic came up, and I did it for science's sake. Don't do it, it's a retarded idea and makes a nice bowl of mushy starchwater.

Really? I was curious and googled for recipes and it looks like there are a ton in the 2-3 hour range... it made me want to get a slow cooker.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There are loads of things a slow cooker is good for, just not macaroni.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Kenning posted:

There are loads of things a slow cooker is good for, just not macaroni.

Of course. But I also have a pressure cooker and slow cookers are pretty expensive here, so it seemed kind of redundant at best.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oil question: is grapeseed oil good for general cooking? I bought some on sale and have yet to open it since I've been using corn oil for my cooking needs. It apparently has a high smoke point, but I don't know how strongly flavored it is. It's also very green.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Eeyo posted:

Oil question: is grapeseed oil good for general cooking? I bought some on sale and have yet to open it since I've been using corn oil for my cooking needs. It apparently has a high smoke point, but I don't know how strongly flavored it is. It's also very green.

I use it a lot at home. It doesn't have much of a flavor, pretty light and mild. I've actually used it in salad dressings where I didn't want the oil flavor to influence things too much. And yeah, you can get it wildly hot before it starts to smoke.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
Quick venison marinade question! I recently acquired half a springbok and am planning on roasting the leg for some friends over the weekend. This springbok seems to be particularly gamey. I was planning on marinading it in the fridge over two days in a dry red wine-based marinade. Does anyone have any other suggestions that I could try in order to minimise the gameyness?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I think marinading with milk is an old trick to reduce the game taste.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

I think marinading with milk is an old trick to reduce the game taste.

Yeah, I saw buttermilk popping up in Google. Seems like a weird thing to do, but I'm inclined to look into it. Thanks!

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Any suggestions for how to use a ton of potatoes? Preferably without using cheese or herbs because I don't have any other than some pecorino pepato and shallots. I have half a litre of unflavoured yoghurt too, which will end up rotting in my fridge if left unused, but I don't want to force it in a potato recipe if it'll taste weird or gross.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fall posted:

Any suggestions for how to use a ton of potatoes? Preferably without using cheese or herbs because I don't have any other than some pecorino pepato and shallots. I have half a litre of unflavoured yoghurt too, which will end up rotting in my fridge if left unused, but I don't want to force it in a potato recipe if it'll taste weird or gross.

Make some Bombay Aloo?

Or something like this maybe:

http://honestcooking.com/creamy-indian-potatoes-dahi-ke-aloo/

VVV fyi I haven't made it myself yet, so I can't vouch for the tastiness :) Also one of the comments below did say to not boil the yoghurt as it can curdle and start tasting really sour VVV

Pookah fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 29, 2013

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Looks delicious and the ingredients list is startlingly simple (a Good Thing). Thanks!

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I have come into possession of a bag of baby spinach the size of a throw pillow. What should I do with it? It's a lot of goddamned spinach.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Semisponge posted:

I have come into possession of a bag of baby spinach the size of a throw pillow. What should I do with it? It's a lot of goddamned spinach.

Send it to me.
Alternatively, it goes into most bean/rice dishes.
Some off the cuff suggestions: Risotto with mushrooms, Indian style curry with lentils or chickpeas, a feta and spinach pie or pizza, or chuck it into a fritatta. Did you even watch popeye? Have you ever made a salad with spinach being the greens instead of iceberg lettuce? Spinach is the best leafy green.

Edit: Wasn't that Pepin crazy deboning chicken video just to wrap up spinach and mushroom?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 29, 2013

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Semisponge posted:

what about a green smoothie? ...or two...

(and no, I've never made one myself, as I detest spinach in general, but the internet is exploding with "green smoothie" recipes, trying to make you live forever and everything, and they all feature spinach...ugh) :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Semisponge posted:

Saute it, it will reduce to a puny, puny amount.

Take a big handful of it and saute it with a little oil and salt and pepper and a squirt of lemon and eat it as a side.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, the GF makes herself green smoothies, and they often feature spinach.

My first suggestion was going to be Saag (a family of Indian dishes based on spinach), but that's best made with frozen spinach.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What temperature do I bake fish (salmon) to and do I need to rest it like meat?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bob Morales posted:

Saute it, it will reduce to a puny, puny amount.

Take a big handful of it and saute it with a little oil and salt and pepper and a squirt of lemon and eat it as a side.

Kind of this. One of my favourite things is spinach fai dang (I think that's right - I cribbed it from my favourite Thai place.) Essentially, stir fry that entire bag of spinach in the wok after you've stir fried two heads of garlic, a thumb of ginger, and a handful of bird chiles. Finish with fish sauce and a bit of sugar. It is fantastic.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I just opened a can of coconut milk. I noticed right away a dent in the side before I shook and opened it. 'It probably fell' was my first thought. When I pierced the lid, it popped out. The contents (probably because I agitated them) seem to be fine, there was no off smell, and against my better judgement, I tasted a tiny bit. Save for that small indent, it seems to be perfectly okay. Should I toss it anyway?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, the GF makes herself green smoothies, and they often feature spinach.

My first suggestion was going to be Saag (a family of Indian dishes based on spinach), but that's best made with frozen spinach.

Couldn't Semisponge just throw the throw pillow in the freezer?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kinmik posted:

I just opened a can of coconut milk. I noticed right away a dent in the side before I shook and opened it. 'It probably fell' was my first thought. When I pierced the lid, it popped out. The contents (probably because I agitated them) seem to be fine, there was no off smell, and against my better judgement, I tasted a tiny bit. Save for that small indent, it seems to be perfectly okay. Should I toss it anyway?

That indent has put very bad JuJu into the coconut milk. You will anger the god of pristine cans if you eat it and get even more bad JuJu. Can you spare that much good JuJu to cancel it out?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Can't you make some sort of pesto with spinach and some nuts, oil and garlic? Maybe walnuts,

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kinmik posted:

Dented cans are not what you need to worry about (as long as they aren't leaking, and don't have an off smell when you open them). It's BULGING cans that are bad news.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Skrill.exe posted:

Couldn't Semisponge just throw the throw pillow in the freezer?

It is so much spinach it would not fit in my freezer.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Semisponge posted:

It is so much spinach it would not fit in my freezer.

You must have a really big head.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Boris Galerkin posted:

What temperature do I bake fish (salmon) to and do I need to rest it like meat?

"Until it's done."

But really just until it's opaque (or just barely opaque), so idk 130, maybe? And you shouldn't really have to rest it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Semisponge posted:

I add spinach to nearly everything I make (nutrition, and I just like the way it tastes). Toss it into a stir fry, shred it and use it instead of lettuce or cabbage for tacos, put it on a pizza, shred it up and use it as a filling for Vietnamese summer rolls, put it on your sandwiches...the possibilities are endless.