Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

cheetah7071 posted:

It actually assumes only that the copy's escalate will double the second copy of Ragefire in your hand--it doesn't care one way or another what happens to the copy.

I guess what I'm thinking is that Escalation reads "shuffle this card in. Then, double the number on all cards with the same name."

If the copy doesn't shuffle in, I can't see it actually Escalating. However, I'm operating on Magic rules at the moment, so it's totally possible that it'll work just fine.

Actually, rerereading Escalation, it saying "each card in your deck, hand and graveyard," which would indicate that copies on the stack won't Escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Some Numbers posted:

I guess what I'm thinking is that Escalation reads "shuffle this card in. Then, double the number on all cards with the same name."

If the copy doesn't shuffle in, I can't see it actually Escalating. However, I'm operating on Magic rules at the moment, so it's totally possible that it'll work just fine.

Actually, rerereading Escalation, it saying "each card in your deck, hand and graveyard," which would indicate that copies on the stack won't Escalate.

Actually, if it works exactly like magic, then the copy would double your other cards--in magic, if parts of an instruction are impossible, the game will just do whatever it can. The shuffle is (potentially) impossible, but the doubling can and would still happen.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Karnegal posted:

The issue isn't so much power as it is lack of fun. The reason Magic design is cutting hexproof out is because players, particularly new players get real bummed out when they encounter it. Although Gesit of St. Traft (the marquee power card with the hexproof ability) is certainly a very good card, it has hardly warped the Standard Magic format. It's more of a question of whether the fun you have playing it makes up for the lack of fun you can have when playing against it. Personally, I don't see it as a problem, but I'm also not a casual player.

I'm sure that the developers know about Geist and Invisible Stalker, it wouldn't surprise me if they were extremely conservative with putting Spellshield on PvP cards.

One thing I am wondering, will they change the text of cards after they are released if they turn out to be too powerful or not powerful enough? On the one hand, this will allow them to balance the game without resorting to the extreme measure of banning cards, but on the other hand, I'm sure a lot of people would be angry if their pet card got nerfed, especially if they just bought 4 copies for a lot of money.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
After browsing the Hex forums for a bit I see more than a few people claiming that Dungeon Crawler bonus only applies to Dungeon Bosses, which are definitely separate from Raid Bosses. Now I am really reconsidering my move from King to DC. I wish we could get some sort of definitive answer.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Konstantin posted:

One thing I am wondering, will they change the text of cards after they are released if they turn out to be too powerful or not powerful enough? On the one hand, this will allow them to balance the game without resorting to the extreme measure of banning cards, but on the other hand, I'm sure a lot of people would be angry if their pet card got nerfed, especially if they just bought 4 copies for a lot of money.

I believe they have said that while it would be quite easy to change the card, they would prefer not to for reasons such as this.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

HotBobaloo posted:

After browsing the Hex forums for a bit I see more than a few people claiming that Dungeon Crawler bonus only applies to Dungeon Bosses, which are definitely separate from Raid Bosses. Now I am really reconsidering my move from King to DC. I wish we could get some sort of definitive answer.

It... says it in the description of the tier? "Dungeon Bosses," not raid bosses...

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Re: altering cards
They've been somewhat intentionally vague on this concept. It seems like they aren't ruling it out, but they also don't want to do it. They cite their record of non-banning many cards in the WoWTCG as a way of saying this is a non-issue, but I don't know if they are just way too permissive with that game. It sounds like WoW has a lot of consistent cards across decks, which could be ban worthy in other games (see the prevalence of Survival of the Fittest in Magic a couple years ago). Like I said, I don't know much about WoWTCG. It does sound like the options are all on the table, but they will be hesitant to change cards. This is an interesting contrast to SolForge, where the devs have been very upfront with the plans to alter any broken cards that emerge.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I wonder if they'd even support pre-errata version of cards in custom games

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

BenRGamer posted:

It... says it in the description of the tier? "Dungeon Bosses," not raid bosses...

Where do you find raid bosses, if not in dungeons? For someone who never plays WoW it's a pretty arbitrary distinction, especially when the Raid Leader bonus clearly applies to all non tournament PvE including 'dungeons'.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

OBi posted:

Where do you find raid bosses, if not in dungeons? For someone who never plays WoW it's a pretty arbitrary distinction, especially when the Raid Leader bonus clearly applies to all non tournament PvE including 'dungeons'.

To be honest, I've heard that the Raid Leader bonus only applies in Raids, not in other PvE content, though I dunno if that's true or not.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OBi posted:

Yeah I thought, at worst, it meant that you'd have to get through a dungeon and the last encounter would drop more poo poo. If it's seriously that only non-raid bosses drop more, what the gently caress is the point? If it doesn't apply to the end game who the gently caress cares

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I thought, at worst, it meant that you'd have to get through a dungeon and the last encounter would drop more poo poo. If it's seriously that only non-raid bosses drop more, what the gently caress is the point? If it doesn't apply to the end game who the gently caress cares

I don't think they've said that raiding will be end game. It's possible that there are end-game solo dungeons as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Karnegal posted:

I don't think they've said that raiding will be end game. It's possible that there are end-game solo dungeons as well.

I just want some kind of confirmation. Some level of hard information other than "pve exists"

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

signalnoise posted:

Well, Raids and Dungeons are two entirely separate things. I imagine raids would be much shorter than out and out dungeons for the sheer fact that they're built around cooperative play, and it's not likely everyone in a group has time to play the 5-7+ matches that a full dungeon with side quests would entail, so I'd imagine that full on dungeons would offer more loot than raids, though this is full on speculation.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BenRGamer posted:

To be honest, I've heard that the Raid Leader bonus only applies in Raids, not in other PvE content, though I dunno if that's true or not.

There are two Raid Leader-exclusive bonuses. Both of those bonuses only apply when grouped:

"+1 card in the opening hand of all players grouped with 'The Raid Leader' in non-tournament PvE content"

"anybody grouped with an account that backed at the Raid Leader tier will start with the Raid Leader’s Blessing in play"

Theoretically the Raid Leader could get both those bonuses when solo, I guess, but that's not what's said.

More interestingly to me, there's this tidbit: "non-tournament PvE". That implies there could be tournament PvE. I wonder what that might entail?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

To me that sounds like it's talking about PVP tournaments which allow use of PVE cards and equipment, which they've already confirmed will happen occasionally.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's poorly-worded if so; that would be PvP with PvE cards, which isn't nearly the same thing as PvE.

A PvE tournament would (could) be something like a tournament where everyone plays their own decks against a pre-determined AI deck in each round.

Not that it matters, I just thought that particular disclaimer had some interesting implications.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Doesn't the WoW TCG have raiding tournaments? It's not exactly PvE since there's a dungeon master type player playing the raid deck, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kinds of competitions in that format.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I'm debating trading in my collectors at $250 for two kings at $240. I'd have double the starters and boosters (300!), two of every add on (extra crafting likely good, could sell a lotus or pool them), and an extra account I can use to try and get a friend into the game. I lose the 6 extra art cards which I'm betting will be worth a decent chunk in the long run. The loss of draft for a year is kind of softened by those 150 boosters tacked on.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'm debating trading in my collectors at $250 for two kings at $240. I'd have double the starters and boosters (300!), two of every add on (extra crafting likely good, could sell a lotus or pool them), and an extra account I can use to try and get a friend into the game. I lose the 6 extra art cards which I'm betting will be worth a decent chunk in the long run. The loss of draft for a year is kind of softened by those 150 boosters tacked on.

1 year of drafts = 156 boosters + 52 dollars assuming you use all the drafts. I suppose the breaking point for you should depend on how many drafts you really expect to do. 2 kings will get you a second Primal pack as well as 3 additional free drafts and 5 additional packs. So you're looking at 155 packs vs 49 drafts (147 boosters and 49 dollars). Assuming 1.3 dollars per pack at this level, the dollar differential breaks down at around 41 drafts. Are you going to make 41 drafts in 52 weeks?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just noticed this in one of the demo videos

:pwn:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glad that'll only be in PvE!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Totally like 90%

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

My guess is that means X total damage, not X damage to target 1 and X damage to target 2, but it is PvE only...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

My guess is that means X total damage, not X damage to target 1 and X damage to target 2, but it is PvE only...

I feel like it should say "divided as you choose" or "divided evenly" in that case.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think it's probably X damage to both targets, but I was really posting that to point out the win/loss record :v:

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
So I've traded in a bunch of stuff at a local store and now have enough money to go from Knight to King, but I'm torn between doing this, and using that money for 13th Age. I know it comes with a lot of cool stuff, but $120 is a lot to spend on a single game when I can't be sure that it'll be successful in the long run.

In the meantime, making a Mono-B Control list has been fun.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 29, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

drat, after the math I did on the bonus booster drafts now I'M kinda contemplating just going with 2x King

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

signalnoise posted:

drat, after the math I did on the bonus booster drafts now I'M kinda contemplating just going with 2x King

It is a good amount of booster drafts to get into and there are a lot of side benefits to King x2. The unique cards are really tempting but I kinda want the spare account to give out. I almost feel the $250's need a small bump so this wouldn't be a decision.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All Nines posted:

In the meantime, making a Mono-B Control list has been fun.

You too, huh?

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

signalnoise posted:

One calculation to keep in mind is that all boosters from King will be Set 1. Free drafts will be able to use any released sets, so once Set 2 comes out, you'll be able to get free Set 2 boosters from drafting (including boosters you win in those drafts).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kakesu posted:

One calculation to keep in mind is that all boosters from King will be Set 1. Free drafts will be able to use any released sets, so once Set 2 comes out, you'll be able to get free Set 2 boosters from drafting (including boosters you win in those drafts).

So the question then is when do the free drafts start and when do the sets come out?

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

Some Numbers posted:

You too, huh?

Yep. What I'm liking about it is that it seems to have good options at every stage of the game, and lots of efficient immediate-value plays. I particularly like Xarlox. And I'm pretty sure Life Siphon is more efficient at every possible casting cost than any equivalent cards in Magic (barring payments of 10 or higher, because at that point you'd think someone would have won already :v:).

After that, Three-Color Humans looks cool, too, but making that seems much harder.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

signalnoise posted:

So the question then is when do the free drafts start and when do the sets come out?

Probably every 3-4 months once it gets up and running. I'd be surprised if the second set is released less than 2 months after the transition from out of beta, though, which would mean about a year after the beta goes live.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably every 3-4 months once it gets up and running. I'd be surprised if the second set is released less than 2 months after the transition from out of beta, though, which would mean about a year after the beta goes live.

I don't think they've given a precise release date on Beta but from what I have heard them say they intend to release the full game "as soon as possible" after Beta, a matter of months.

signalnoise posted:

They've said every three to four months. So it's possible a free year might take us into set 2 or even set 3 maybe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think they've given a precise release date on Beta but from what I have heard them say they intend to release the full game "as soon as possible" after Beta, a matter of months.

I thought the timeline was September 2013 for the beta, and July 2014 for the full release.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I believe the beta starts in September, and the full game is planned to be open by anywhere from December at the earliest to Summer 2014 at the latest.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 29, 2013

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

They said on the IGN interview/demo/video that they're aiming for September for Beta, and hoping to have full release before the end of the year.

fake edit: :arghfist::eng101:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All Nines posted:

Yep. What I'm liking about it is that it seems to have good options at every stage of the game, and lots of efficient immediate-value plays. I particularly like Xarlox. And I'm pretty sure Life Siphon is more efficient at every possible casting cost than any equivalent cards in Magic (barring payments of 10 or higher, because at that point you'd think someone would have won already :v:).
I was thinking about Xarlox, but I wasn't sure if he's supposed to be Unique or not and hadn't decided to run him or not.

Most of the other Troops have a great immediate impact (Corrupt Harvester, Shadowgrove Witch, Giant Corpse Fly) and Blood has a lot of great spells. Life Siphon is just better than Drain Life or Consume Spirit. Extinction is great. I have high hopes for Terrible Transfer.

I'm undecided, but I think that Shrine of Prosperity might also be worth running.

quote:

After that, Three-Color Humans looks cool, too, but making that seems much harder.

Ruby, Diamond and what? Sapphire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

They've said every three to four months. So it's possible a free year might take us into set 2 or even set 3 maybe.

Not if your free drafts start in september and it takes a year to get to a full release, which is what I'm hoping doesn't happen. But we'll see! I think I'll be taking the Dungeon Crawler tier anyway though. 150 boosters of set one is way more than enough.

• Locked thread