Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Xml is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope xml is gr8

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

xaml seems ok. i imagine that maybe it could become a clusterfuck in a large app, but otherwise it looks pretty straightforward and vs does a lot of the work for you in setting it up

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

nope xml is gr8

yep

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

nope xml is gr8

xml is a reasonable attempt at making it so no-one has to hand roll a goddam parser for some ad-hoc crazy protocol

unfortunately, xml is also insane. brb lolling a billion times

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
My favorite is XML as a language injector for java.

Why yes I would like no proper stack trace, no debug, no IDE support, lovely indentation because the format tool is gone, and obscuro sub-plang languages making GBS threads everywhere with no way to know what dependencies are even being used.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't do that. just use java and if you need a runtime scripting language use groovy cause its really just java in script form

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

gucci void main posted:

xaml seems ok. i imagine that maybe it could become a clusterfuck in a large app, but otherwise it looks pretty straightforward and vs does a lot of the work for you in setting it up

Writing ui's by hand lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MeruFM posted:

My favorite is XML as a language injector for java.

Why yes I would like no proper stack trace, no debug, no IDE support, lovely indentation because the format tool is gone, and obscuro sub-plang languages making GBS threads everywhere with no way to know what dependencies are even being used.

idk i think json as a code injector for rails beats that

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

vapid cutlery posted:

Writing ui's by hand lol

my bespoke ballmerapp

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

also intellij has excellent support for maven, spring and servlet container xml configs. plus if you have a non-poo poo xsd it will give you autocomplete + popup docs and on-the-fly validation

ofc its possible to make a terrible abomination in xml, but well-done xml is literally self-documenting both from expressive tag names and descriptions embedded in the xsd

whereas a typical yaml config will look like this

boner_providers:
- Provider::Svn
- Provider::Git
- Who::The::Hell::Knows
butts:
- My::Butt
- Butt::Yours
- Shadowhawks::Real::Doll::Butt

the gently caress is a boner provider? how does this gem get a boner from svn? who knows. what is it doing to my butt? who knows. use the source, luke

edit: or you can just gently caress around with it until it looks like its doing what you want, which i'm 99% certain is what p-langers do as a substitute to actually knowing wtf is going on

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

all you had to say is "yaml is garbage"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

basically everything p-langers do for configuration and documentation is garbage

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
that goes without saying

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
stupid things programmers believe:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

literally self-documenting

in the same way no-one needs a dictionary because every word in english is self descriptive.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

stupid things programmers believe:

in the same way no-one needs a dictionary because every word in english is self descriptive.

usually im ok with your smug smartass posts but this one makes me caremad a little. what you apparently missed is that the xsd can contain prose documentation on the tags & attributes. thats the loving dictionary in your dumbass analogy. how about you post a link to a blog post you read and butt out

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Nomnom Cookie posted:

usually im ok with your smug smartass posts but this one makes me caremad a little. what you apparently missed is that the xsd can contain prose documentation on the tags & attributes. thats the loving dictionary in your dumbass analogy. how about you post a link to a blog post you read and butt out

lol

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if you have a non-poo poo xsd

oh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so how do i make uis without wanting to kill myself

like whats the form builder app of choice or whatever

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Bloody posted:

xcode

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

xaml in visual studio

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

tell ur ux guy to make one \

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
doxygen makes documentation less painful and encourages better grammar
it's always good to take a step back from a 50 line function and then coherently write out what it does. Because if you can't, you should rewrite it or yell at your architect.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

MeruFM posted:

doxygen makes documentation less painful and encourages better grammar
it's always good to take a step back from a 50 line function and then coherently write out what it does. Because if you can't, you should rewrite it or yell at your architect.

spelling errors in variable names are the bane of my existence now that i'm in charge of a junior developer

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
today i looked at a big wall of code on his screen from a good distance away and immediately saw a spelling error. thanks autism

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you heard it here first, folks: documentation is self-documenting.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Bloody posted:

borland c++ builder or delphi

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i wish the manufacturing guys at work had picked up delphi rather than vb for their automation poo poo, it would be way easier to fix

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
maybe if you work in a money printing factory

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Nomnom Cookie posted:

its got comments, lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i wonder if we could port this 'comments' tech to other markup languages

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

tef posted:

i wonder if we could port this 'comments' tech to other markup languages

that's easy, the hard part is putting useful information in these 'comments'

like in java you could convert your javadocs to runtime annotations, then have your serialization code read the annotations and add them as comments, easiest thing ever

I don't know how you would even start to approach doing something like that using some other tech

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

use the fancy <summary> and <argument> or whatever tags in visual studio before your functions and methods and whatnot

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dependency Injection is nice for webapps, how else are you going to instantiate your fifty-odd "controllers"

Spring, like many Java things, started out decent and then completely went off into the metametametaframework weeds. Implicit injection with annotations is some :okpos: poo poo and AOP makes me feel like I'm being trolled. "Yes certainly, let's implicitly alter the semantics of methods if their names match certain patterns. This sounds like a very reasonable thing to do"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
does anybody use apache struts any more? i remember getting a brief lesson in it and thinking it was interesting, but not for lightweight sites

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

that's easy, the hard part is putting useful information in these 'comments'

like in java you could convert your javadocs to runtime annotations, then have your serialization code read the annotations and add them as comments, easiest thing ever

I don't know how you would even start to approach doing something like that using some other tech

then it will be 'self documenting' except for the documentation that is inline :3:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

tef posted:

then it will be 'self documenting' except for the documentation that is inline :3:

i wish ppl would document the circumstances surrounding the code rather than the functionality.

it'd be just as if not less useless and way more fun to read.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Dependency Injection is nice for webapps, how else are you going to instantiate your fifty-odd "controllers"

Spring, like many Java things, started out decent and then completely went off into the metametametaframework weeds. Implicit injection with annotations is some :okpos: poo poo and AOP makes me feel like I'm being trolled. "Yes certainly, let's implicitly alter the semantics of methods if their names match certain patterns. This sounds like a very reasonable thing to do"

spring also has annotation-driven AOP which is better than method name pattern matching but terrible compared to good things

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

its got comments, lol

nope, doc tags that the ide can parse and display when i push the "wtf is this poo poo" key. this makes the xml self documenting in that it contains a reference to its documentation

thats not really what self documenting means

w/e it still beats the poo poo out of all the text serialization formats promoted by p-langers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Nomnom Cookie posted:

nope, doc tags that the ide can parse and display when i push the "wtf is this poo poo" key. this makes the xml self documenting in that it contains a reference to its documentation

thats not really what self documenting means

w/e it still beats the poo poo out of all the text serialization formats promoted by p-langers

xml has a nice subset inside it and xpath owns