Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I forgot they used to have the light metres on the scoreboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

boooooooooooo

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Well that's annoying.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress the haters

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thanks for the net sessions lads.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I hope that Cook's atrocious captaincy costs England the ashes.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Never in any doubt. Wrap it up Southern Hemispher-ailures. :smug:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Careful, they report you if they don't win

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Alastair Cock.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

Careful, they report you if they don't win

Small time posters for a small time team imo.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
brave english lions

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Gorn Myson posted:

Alastair Cock.

this is why this thread is rated 5

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Now they've won, that's it. They have all the justifications they need.

Compton is going to cling onto that opening spot like a particularly tenacious barnacle on a blue whale's foreskin.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

... particularly tenacious barnacle on a blue whale's foreskin.

Just reading that hurts.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

You could probably get inside a blue whale's foreskin like a sleeping bag.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm diving and I get tired.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thehappyprince posted:

You could probably get inside a blue whale's foreskin like a sleeping bag.

Probably closer to a tent, although I wouldn't recommend camping in one, the smell would probably keep you up all night.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

starving in the willy of a whale

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thehappyprince posted:

starving in the willy of a whale

This is a metaphor for New Zealands cricket team.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Hi, thread.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-29/ponting-would-never-say-never-to-ashes-recall/4721192

quote:

Former Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting has left open the possibility of playing in this year's Ashes series, if Australian selectors ask him to return.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Five years in to the future Shane Watson will be saying the same things from his wheelchair.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ricky "Cowdrey" Ponting

edit: except that Cowdrey was well-loved even outside of his own country.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why are you even posting that crap? Some reporter asked him a stupid loving question just to get a headline and you fell for it hook line and sinker.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

But, more interesting in the cricinfo version of that article (http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/638277.html):

quote:

Another important factor for the Australians will be their preparation and off-field efforts, which slipped so significantly on the Indian tour that Clarke, coach Mickey Arthur and team manager Gavin Dovey suspended four players for not completed a so-called "homework task". Ponting said he was uncertain how he would have dealt with such issues if he had still been in charge.

"I can understand what the captain and coach were trying to achieve but I'm not sure I totally agree with what happened," he said. "I don't know for sure how I would have handled that situation but those type of things didn't happen when I was captain."

That last sentence, ouch.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Winning the ashes was also a thing that rarely happened whilst Ponting was in charge

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So was losing 4-0 to India.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Mister Chief posted:

Why are you even posting that crap? Some reporter asked him a stupid loving question just to get a headline and you fell for it hook line and sinker.

Calm down dear

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm still clearly distraught over certain recent results.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

I think you should apologise to boss key

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

He has clarified now.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/cricket/i-wont-play-in-the-ashes-not-even-in-an-emergency-says-ricky-ponting-8635479.html

quote:

Ricky Ponting today ruled out a return to the Australia side for this summer’s Ashes but revealed he could be back as a coach for future battles with England

“I should probably clarify the situation,” he told Standard Sport. “I was as strong as I could possibly have been — it’s so unlikely that it would happen that it is almost laughable. There are reserve batsmen on the tour. I wouldn’t get a phone call anyway and even if I did, I wouldn’t play. I stepped out of international cricket last year and I’m happily retired. That is probably what I should have said.”

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Mister Chief posted:

:(

In other news this is the first time I've been here since summer so I don't know what the prevailing group theory is but I'm not sure things are as desperate for Australia as the media thinks. I wouldn't put them down for an easy victory but I also wouldn't put them down for 0-5. It's test cricket, things happen. Let's think about the next ten tests, what number of victories would you put money on? Australia is inconsistent, but the players are not outright bad.

I'd think England should win five, Australia could win three, and presume at least a couple of draws. 5-3-2. This may be optimistic but it's not out of the question. Depending where these wins happen, who knows what a bit of confidence for Australia or pressure for England could do to affect the outcome?

I'm anti-nationalistic and don't care who wins, but I love a tight contest and don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Can't wait. I love it when the Ashes are in England, on TV in prime time.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I didn't really mean it as a dig at you as much as the reporter who was obviously quote mining in order to get a headline.

As for your prediction I think you're forgetting the weather factor.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

boss key posted:

:(

In other news this is the first time I've been here since summer so I don't know what the prevailing group theory is but I'm not sure things are as desperate for Australia as the media thinks. I wouldn't put them down for an easy victory but I also wouldn't put them down for 0-5. It's test cricket, things happen. Let's think about the next ten tests, what number of victories would you put money on? Australia is inconsistent, but the players are not outright bad.

I'd think England should win five, Australia could win three, and presume at least a couple of draws. 5-3-2. This may be optimistic but it's not out of the question. Depending where these wins happen, who knows what a bit of confidence for Australia or pressure for England could do to affect the outcome?

I'm anti-nationalistic and don't care who wins, but I love a tight contest and don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Can't wait. I love it when the Ashes are in England, on TV in prime time.

Personally I struggle to see Australia winning more than one test in both series.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It will be tighter than the media and my normal posts would make you believe, but Australia dont have the batting to win. Their bowlers are good, but getting their best 4 on the field at the same time will not happen due to injury but Michael Clarke has scored a quarter of all Australias runs over the past 2 years I think sky said yesterday. Get him out cheap and Australia cant win.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

England have got issues with batting too really. They're going to have either a walking wicket in Compton, an untested 15 year old in Root, or someone completely random as an opener, and who knows what Pietersen's going to be like. I've got a bad feeling we might somehow end up seeing the Duke of Bellington promoted up the order, and we know how that always works out.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The main differences between the batting line ups are Trott and Prior. Get some consistent runs out of those two and Australia's cooked

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about bloody Pietersen. He's guaranteed at least two match winning innings across ten Tests, the bastard

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's some weird stat Zaltzman has about Pieterson peaking in the second test of a series, then being a bit poo poo for the rest.

Might only be for away series though. Would have to look it up.

edit: http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/625088.html is the article, and it is only for series abroad. His average is pretty stable on the far side of 50 when in England.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 29, 2013

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Lionel Richie posted:

England have got issues with batting too really. They're going to have either a walking wicket in Compton, an untested 15 year old in Root, or someone completely random as an opener, and who knows what Pietersen's going to be like. I've got a bad feeling we might somehow end up seeing the Duke of Bellington promoted up the order, and we know how that always works out.

Sure England don't have it all perfect, but the Aussies would give their left testicle to be able to pick from Cook, Pietersen, Trott and Prior. And if Root and even Bell were Australian, do you have any doubt they would be picked?

An interesting exercise though. I guess if England could pick any Aussie they would pick Clarke, move Root to opener and dump Compton. Then, I'm really not sure they would pick any of the other Aussies, definitely not the batsmen. Maybe Pattinson or Siddle for Broad, but even that's not likely.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Unimpressed posted:

Sure England don't have it all perfect, but the Aussies would give their left testicle to be able to pick from Cook, Pietersen, Trott and Prior. And if Root and even Bell were Australian, do you have any doubt they would be picked?

An interesting exercise though. I guess if England could pick any Aussie they would pick Clarke, move Root to opener and dump Compton. Then, I'm really not sure they would pick any of the other Aussies, definitely not the batsmen. Maybe Pattinson or Siddle for Broad, but even that's not likely.

Warner for Compton
Clarke for Bell (Leave Root)
Pattinson for Finn

Those would be the only three that would make the team for me. (Warner is exceptionally marginal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Lyon should be picked as the spinner instead of Swann.

• Locked thread