Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I would be extremely surprised if they made you use your year of free drafts on their beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

Some Numbers posted:

I was thinking about Xarlox, but I wasn't sure if he's supposed to be Unique or not and hadn't decided to run him or not.

Most of the other Troops have a great immediate impact (Corrupt Harvester, Shadowgrove Witch, Giant Corpse Fly) and Blood has a lot of great spells. Life Siphon is just better than Drain Life or Consume Spirit. Extinction is great. I have high hopes for Terrible Transfer.

I'm undecided, but I think that Shrine of Prosperity might also be worth running.

Ruby, Diamond and what? Sapphire?

We seem to have a lot of the same thoughts on this. It looks like Xarlox has an older card templating, so I'm assuming he'll be Unique. But I would probably still run 1-3 of him, myself. Cast him, 187 something, and then leave him to further clog up the board seems like what this deck wants to do until it can cast Extinction. Or at least, I could see it going like that. Do you think this deck (or at least the control shell for this color) should go hard in on kill spells/Siphon as a win con? To that end, I was also thinking about a 1-of Necessary Sacrifice for the late game.

I was also undecided on Shrine of Prosperity. I feel like it might depend on how fast the metagame is and how fast this deck is, too. But it's definitely a cool card. The biggest other question I have in mind is how many Pacts of Pain it should run. It's a dead draw beyond the first one unless they can destroy it, but it's definitely an effect that this deck can appreciate. Was Necropotence an automatic 4-of in its heyday?

And yeah, Sapphire's the third Human color.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 29, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'd be disappointed but not surprised. I've seen some poo poo

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

signalnoise posted:

I'd be disappointed but not surprised. I've seen some poo poo
Haha. There are definitely ways to piss off players when dealing with f2p games, open betas and preorders. I think that i need to see why 2x dungeon boss only loot is a good idea. Maybe collectors is the better tier after all. Or maybe i back off of spending this much on a preorder. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All Nines posted:

We seem to have a lot of the same thoughts on this. It looks like Xarlox has an older card templating, so I'm assuming he'll be Unique. But I would probably still run 1-3 of him, myself. Cast him, 187 something, and then leave him to further clog up the board seems like what this deck wants to do until it can cast Extinction. Or at least, I could see it going like that. Do you think this deck (or at least the control shell for this color) should go hard in on kill spells/Siphon as a win con? To that end, I was also thinking about a 1-of Necessary Sacrifice for the late game.
I agree with a lot of this. If I can get copies of Xarlox, I'll run him. If not, Witch is a decent filler blocker that can make a guy smaller. Corpse Fly is also fine. Depending on how the format shakes out, I can see overloading on removal and winning on the back of Corrupt Harvester and Life Siphon. It would be nice if we could have 8 Life Siphon, but such is life.

quote:

I was also undecided on Shrine of Prosperity. I feel like it might depend on how fast the metagame is and how fast this deck is, too. But it's definitely a cool card. The biggest other question I have in mind is how many Pacts of Pain it should run. It's a dead draw beyond the first one unless they can destroy it, but it's definitely an effect that this deck can appreciate. Was Necropotence an automatic 4-of in its heyday?
If the format is really fast, I think Shrine might be really important, because it speeds up the Champion and all the spells.

Pact is probably a 3 of. Necro was a four of in a format with Dark Ritual and Necro didn't cost anything to activate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

I would be extremely surprised if they made you use your year of free drafts on their beta.

It would be a very good way to ensure that the game launched to empty servers and universal bad word of mouth.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
At some point in beta, they're going to give out all the KS stuff. After that point, there won't be any wipes. I would assume that free drafts will start at the same time.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Well, I just jumped in on the 20 dollar tier. Hopefully I don't regret this.
Will Spectral Lotuses be able to be deposited into the Guild Bank? If so, wouldn't that make a guild with a few Lotus Gardens beast mode in PvE?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Karnegal posted:

At some point in beta, they're going to give out all the KS stuff. After that point, there won't be any wipes. I would assume that free drafts will start at the same time.

If Cryptozoic say free drafts start during beta, then gently caress them to death with a splintered broomstick. They'll either be offering free drafts that everyone will get anyway, or they'll be charging players to beta test.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jedit posted:

If Cryptozoic say free drafts start during beta, then gently caress them to death with a splintered broomstick. They'll either be offering free drafts that everyone will get anyway, or they'll be charging players to beta test.

They've said repeatedly there won't be any wipes, though - why wouldn't they be charging players for draft when draft is giving them cards they can use in the full game? I can see them knocking off the $1 charge maybe, but not giving out free boosters.

e: I believe they have said they'll refund people if a draft is ruined by a bug, although I might be wrong on that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I guess I'll just see if they respond to that question

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I think i'd prefer the beta be an actual beta and we get all of our goodies once the game is released or at least open to the public. That would avoid the possibility of the year of drafts being all set 1 and I think it would be overall better for the economy of the game.

Considering it could be 9+ months from beta to release, there's probably going to be a ton of people wishing they would have chipped in for the KS. I wish there was an easier way to obtain several beta slots for friends and whatnot who are too lazy to go to KS and make an account and pledge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

They've said repeatedly there won't be any wipes, though - why wouldn't they be charging players for draft when draft is giving them cards they can use in the full game?

Here's a better question: how do they expect to get their game properly tested if the testers don't have access to the cards? If the only way testers can test is by paying for their own cards then the rare cards and equipment are more likely to be bugged on release. I was a Magic Online tester for many years; we all had full access to everything on our beta accounts and bugs still made it through. If Cryptozoic think they can run a successful beta test granting limited card access and charging the testers to do it, then that's a giant signal that they have no idea what they're doing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
IT depends on the "beta." Is this going to be a beta like, say, Mechwarrior Online, which is technically still "in beta" months and months after what was functionally a full release, or is it going to be a "beta" like Everquest where 3/4ths of the game doesn't work and they're just stress testing the servers? Is it going to last a month, or six?

If it's a three-month "beta" and they release Set 2 after four or five months from the start date of "beta", ok then. If it's a six-month beta and they don't release set 2 till three months after "release," yeah that would be more annoying to a lot of folks I think.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 29, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

Here's a better question: how do they expect to get their game properly tested if the testers don't have access to the cards? If the only way testers can test is by paying for their own cards then the rare cards and equipment are more likely to be bugged on release. I was a Magic Online tester for many years; we all had full access to everything on our beta accounts and bugs still made it through. If Cryptozoic think they can run a successful beta test granting limited card access and charging the testers to do it, then that's a giant signal that they have no idea what they're doing.
This is a very good question that needs answering. I'll create an account on hextcg's forums and ask if no one else has.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

They're giving out hundreds of thousands of boosters (last I checked it was 800,000) along with the Kickstarter, plus the free drafts. Combined with the guild banks that's going to mean everyone has more or less unrestricted access for casual constructed, most people are going to have enough cards to thoroughly test tournament constructed unless CZE are stupid with rarities, and a lot of people are going to get weekly free drafts. Especially given that Magic Online presumably had a ten year backlog of cards and rules to implement and Hex only has 600-odd, I'm not that worried...

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

They're giving out hundreds of thousands of boosters (last I checked it was 800,000) along with the Kickstarter, plus the free drafts. Combined with the guild banks that's going to mean everyone has more or less unrestricted access for casual constructed, most people are going to have enough cards to thoroughly test tournament constructed unless CZE are stupid with rarities, and a lot of people are going to get weekly free drafts. Especially given that Magic Online presumably had a ten year backlog of cards and rules to implement and Hex only has 600-odd, I'm not that worried...

You say that, but they have been specifically working on the card engine and card interactions for the past two years right? The most recent livestream showed a guy playing a human inspire deck with a card that was supposed to allow graveyard troops with inspire affect new troops played on the board. It didn't work and it wasn't like this card was a junky card that wouldn't see play. In my mind, that was a cornerstone card to an inspire deck and unless the devs hate playing human decks it should have been found sooner.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It was an alpha build, new bugs are going to be cropping up while things are in development. They also said in one of the streams that they'd wanted to use a different Champion but the last update had broken his abilities.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Blazing Zero posted:

This is a very good question that needs answering. I'll create an account on hextcg's forums and ask if no one else has.

Don't ask on the forums. That just rallies a bunch of public shouting and commotion. Ask them directly via the Kickstarter "Contact Me" button. They will get back to you. I write them once a week with questions and I always have an answer within a day or two.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Don't ask on the forums. That just rallies a bunch of public shouting and commotion. Ask them directly via the Kickstarter "Contact Me" button. They will get back to you. I write them once a week with questions and I always have an answer within a day or two.

Is this the best method of getting a reply? Alright, I'll do that.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It was an alpha build, new bugs are going to be cropping up while things are in development. They also said in one of the streams that they'd wanted to use a different Champion but the last update had broken his abilities.

No one's denying the fact that there will be bugs. The question was whether it will be an actual beta or a launch with a beta tag floating over it.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Blazing Zero posted:

No one's denying the fact that there will be bugs. The question was whether it will be an actual beta or a launch with a beta tag floating over it.

This is pretty much all betas now. They are usually "soft" betas, which mean you can usually spend your money, because your account isn't going to get reset, and play, and help the find bugs. Most successful F2p games relying on microtransactions are doing this. I wouldn't be suprised by it in the slightest. The word Beta doesn't mean the same thing that it used to. It usually means, we have a product that is pretty finished as far as we can tell, but we are still looking for bugs and stress testing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I don't see the problem with selling things in beta, depending how the beta is being run - remember games like DOTA2 are technically in beta STILL.

Although there haven't given us a firm explanation of how beta will work, given that CZ has said people will get KS stuff at some point in beta as opposed to the start of beta implies strongly that it will function something like this:

Stage 1: People will get access to all the cards or free draft materials, etc. There will be a period of time where they're just jamming games and stuff to uncover any bugs that made it out of the Alpha. There will be limited PvE play (it sounds like just the Arena at first).

Stage 2: There will be a wipe. KS stuff will be distributed. I assume that this will be the point where PvP is "ready to go" and they'll be shifting their focus to PvE. Since PvE is F2P, bugs there aren't costing you money - time yes, money no and it's your option to participate in the beta. This is what is often called a "soft launch," essentially the game, or a portion of the game is ready to launch, but they aren't calling it a launch because all of the game isn't ready yet. I wouldn't be surprise if this is the point where they started letting in a steady stream of additional beta testers. Any lingering bugs that impacted cards you paid for would presumably be refunded the same way that a glitch in an MTGO draft is handled to this day.

To me, this seems like a fine way to run things. Initially, I'm going to want to plug away with the card base and see what's good, but I don't want to spend up to a year in beta only to have my collection wiped. I'm fine with it happening at some point, but a year is a lot of time to play and then lose all my stuff.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Here is Stovetop posted:

This is pretty much all betas now. They are usually "soft" betas, which mean you can usually spend your money, because your account isn't going to get reset, and play, and help the find bugs. Most successful F2p games relying on microtransactions are doing this. I wouldn't be suprised by it in the slightest. The word Beta doesn't mean the same thing that it used to. It usually means, we have a product that is pretty finished as far as we can tell, but we are still looking for bugs and stress testing.

Aka consumers just open their mouths and let the poo poo just slide right in... all the while thanking them for the privilege

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Vomik posted:

Aka consumers just open their mouths and let the poo poo just slide right in... all the while thanking them for the privilege

Pretty much the gaming community has allowed this to happen to themselves back when they started pre-purchasing games for beta access. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's the current state of affairs, enough people did vote with their wallet and say they wanted this that we are getting it full on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, a wipe after a year would be pretty miserable, but I'd be fine with just playing and maybe drafting for a couple of months, having a wipe around New Year's and getting all the KS stuff after that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Here is Stovetop posted:

Pretty much the gaming community has allowed this to happen to themselves back when they started pre-purchasing games for beta access. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's the current state of affairs, enough people did vote with their wallet and say they wanted this that we are getting it full on.

I think it's also an inevitability given the nature of modern online gaming. It's not possible for a company to fully test for all bugs and problems pre-release. In house testing can't match the mass market, it's just not possible, because they can't duplicate every weird configuration someone might possibly have at home and so forth.

If we didn't have "open betas" for these games the games would just release buggy as hell anyway. Calling the initial release phase "beta" is more honest anyway.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Karnegal has it right. This isn't final so manage your expectations accordingly, but it looks like we'll have a friends and family alpha where we have partners and family help test the game in a directed fashion along with our QA team. Then we'll probably move into a short beta period where we allow backers to play for free with a wipe after that, and then we'll move into a monetized beta similar to games like DotA 2 once the game looks good and that's where your year of free drafts start. If we can do it, you'll have a window to activate your free drafts so, in case you're on vacation for the week of monetized beta release, you don't lose that week. I wouldn't consider the game fully released until all PVE content is in the game, which is why it's technically going to be in beta.

Anyway, we understand that once the Kickstarter closes, you've paid for a product and we have to deliver on the expectations we've set, so you can expect open channels of communication during tha ttime.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blinkman987 posted:

Karnegal has it right. This isn't final so manage your expectations accordingly, but it looks like we'll have a friends and family alpha where we have partners and family help test the game in a directed fashion along with our QA team. Then we'll probably move into a short beta period where we allow backers to play for free with a wipe after that, and then we'll move into a monetized beta similar to games like DotA 2 once the game looks good and that's where your year of free drafts start. If we can do it, you'll have a window to activate your free drafts so, in case you're on vacation for the week of monetized beta release, you don't lose that week. I wouldn't consider the game fully released until all PVE content is in the game, which is why it's technically going to be in beta.

Anyway, we understand that once the Kickstarter closes, you've paid for a product and we have to deliver on the expectations we've set, so you can expect open channels of communication during tha ttime.

Thanks for the confirmation (now I feel smart!). Is the daily content on the main website going to continue post-ks campaign? I know I'm pretty excited to check in every day and see what's up.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Will that monetized beta still be for backers only? If yes, could look into getting a beta invite added to the 3x30 boosters the Guild Leader and Great King tiers get?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Probably more than just backers--they have a beta signup on their website, but by that same token, it may not going to be fully open, either.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
New update, apparently we're only $40k away from Tablet support, and they've got an MMO Review up.

http://www.mmoreviews.com/discover-the-amazing-free-to-play-online-tcg-hex-shards-of-fate/

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double post.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

By the way, I asked via a Kickstarter message and there apparently will be expert-level dungeons to go along with the raids in the endgame.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

By the way, I asked via a Kickstarter message and there apparently will be expert-level dungeons to go along with the raids in the endgame.

Dungeon crawler pledge kept

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

signalnoise posted:

Dungeon crawler pledge kept

Ditto. This is exactly what I wanted to hear to keep me from swapping to Collector.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Man trying to snipe one of the Pro-Player / Grand King tiers is a huge pain in the rear end, because there are so many other people trying to do the same thing you have about 2 seconds to grab it before they do - the number of times I have turned my back for a second at work or gone to answer the door at home and missed out, it's infuriating :argh:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
There are tiers other than Grand King or Pro-Player. I mean, I know Pro-Player and especially Grand King are valuable, but it's only one free draft a week. If you wanna play more you'll have to use your other boosters or pay.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm already down for collector but I mean if we can combine accounts then why not try to get 4 of the better rewards all rolled into one?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've already submitted this as a question to Crypto, but maybe you guys know faster: Using the guild bank function, can you deposit cards, or only decks?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

signalnoise posted:

I've already submitted this as a question to Crypto, but maybe you guys know faster: Using the guild bank function, can you deposit cards, or only decks?
The feature isn't coded yet, and they haven't said anything about it specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I really hope they don't gently caress that part up because it's going to basically be the cornerstone of me being able to keep my friends playing

• Locked thread