Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Martytoof posted:

Do the new plans "happen" to cost $7 more? :haw:
That would not surprise me in the slightest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Martytoof posted:

Do the new plans "happen" to cost $7 more? :haw:

Given that they never do anything that might harm their precious ARPU, I'm gonna wager yes :D

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
$5 more, actually. They did the same thing when the system access fee was eliminated. In some cases it's still cheaper to pay for call display if your plan is good.

But on the upside, Nova Scotia is now among the few provinces (including Newfoundland, Manitoba, and I think Ontario) where you no longer need to give 30 days notice to cancel your account. The wheel of competition continues to turn! (note: the wheel is square and pulled by a dead mule)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mobilicity's debtholders have approved the sale:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/05/23/business-mobilicity-debtholder-approval.html

Still needs regulatory approval but this was the first step (Industry Canada/Competition Bureau/Ontario Superior Court still to go).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So uh, I don't remember ever increasing my data limit from 500MB, but I fired up the Rogers account iPhone app today and it says I have 109mb out of a 2GB quota. Is Rogers in the business of just bumping up quotas these days or what?

I will obviously call to confirm later when I feel like talking to a human being again, but I'm just curious if this could be a fault of the app or what?

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Martytoof posted:

So uh, I don't remember ever increasing my data limit from 500MB, but I fired up the Rogers account iPhone app today and it says I have 109mb out of a 2GB quota. Is Rogers in the business of just bumping up quotas these days or what?

I will obviously call to confirm later when I feel like talking to a human being again, but I'm just curious if this could be a fault of the app or what?

The only place the iPhone is listed on this page is under the 2GB plan, maybe your old plan no longer supported your device so they upgraded you. This has happened to a few of the people I switched to iPhones at work on Telus, except they went from (iirc) 500mb plans to 6gb plans and cost us a bunch of money. Here's hoping your upgrade is free since it's mandatory.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's hoping my upgrade is free because they never notified me otherwise :ohdear:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Martytoof posted:

No, this doesn't really make any sense. Maybe just a glitch in the app. Are you on a family/sharing plan? Maybe someone else on your account changed your plan?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am on a family plan but nobody else is technically savvy enough to make a call to customer service, let alone ask for more data.

e: Okay, according to Rogers.com I am on a 2GB plan. Going to have to call in to see when that was done.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 25, 2013

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It's rogers, so there was probably a notice in super fine font on an obscure section on the site, and since you didn't fax and mail in your complaint through registered mail, you've been renewed for another 3 year term

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently on Thursday, the Amazon App Store became available in Canada. Your phone has to be able to install third party apps, if any still block that.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001119741&ref_=sa_menu_gs_adr_app

I doubt the prices are any better, but it does have the free app of the day.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently on Thursday, the Amazon App Store became available in Canada. Your phone has to be able to install third party apps, if any still block that.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001119741&ref_=sa_menu_gs_adr_app

I doubt the prices are any better, but it does have the free app of the day.

Sweet. I take back some of the nasty things I said about you for being a Bruins' fan.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
The install button wont work for me :(

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Does anyone use that Rogers One Number thing? I'm hesitant to even try it, if their billing system is any indication of their general web app competence.... but I could see aspects of it being useful.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone use that Rogers One Number thing? I'm hesitant to even try it, if their billing system is any indication of their general web app competence.... but I could see aspects of it being useful.

The most useful feature I found on it was that I could download and replay voicemail messages on my computer. There were times when I had to re-enter information because they didn't "take" (maybe server was busy or something). I think Rogers farmed out the implementation of Rogers One Number to a third party as well.

A couple of months ago there was a call-forwarding problem with Rogers One Number where you couldn't change its settings. Unfortunately my phone was set to call forwarding when that happened and was stuck in call forwarding mode for about half a week.

I think you can ungregister yourself from Rogers One Number if you end up not liking it, but the changes might not take effect right away. Anyway, I switched to Virgin Mobile at the beginning of the month and I don't really miss Rogers One Number that much.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Your entire post was very persuasive for me to just stay the gently caress away from it. Thanks I guess!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
When I was on Rogers I was always wary of taking advantage of 'value add' services like that for fear of their unreliability, bad customer service, and the possibility that they might just be trialing it with customers with the intention of turning it into a paid service (that's most likely too expensive for what is offered).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

When I was on Rogers I was always wary of taking advantage of 'value add' services like that for fear of their unreliability, bad customer service, and the possibility that they might just be trialing it with customers with the intention of turning it into a paid service (that's most likely too expensive for what is offered).

Yeah, that had occurred to me also.

It was a litany of silliness getting a second sim card provisioned for data-sharing on my iPad with them. It took three attempts at mailing out packages before they sent the correct sim card size (nano) despite very clear instructions, not to mention several phone calls to set it up in the first place.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I've heard rumours that one may switch to Fido from Rogers for a cut-down ETF of $100, regardless of what one's balance outstanding is.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I can confirm that it definitely used to be a thing, I haven't been with Rogers for a year but I'm sure it still is since they're essentially still getting your money if you switch.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Canadians would be willing to pay more for cellular services, study says

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'd like to know who paid for this propaganda

Migishu fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 3, 2013

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Who the hell did they survey? Did they talk to any Canadians?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
This..

quote:

That is a key finding of a new study set to be released Monday by telecom consultancy Nordicity and the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, the main lobby group for the $19-billion industry.

is all you need to read in that article.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
1. If every carrier suddenly jacked their prices up by $20/month, would you:

a) Immediately toss your phone into the lake and move into the woods
b) Be willing to pay more for cell phone service

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DarkJC posted:

This..

is all you need to read in that article.

Even thought they funded it, who the gently caress did they actually ask? Their own employees? I am so mindboggled by this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which of the following two phrases best describes Canadian Cellular Service: I would be willing to pay more monthly, or magic picture that if you stare at it long enough, you see something?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

tehloki posted:

I'd turn into a loving luddite and satisfy myself with nothing but the bare minimal Internet connection.

Then they'll come after my Teksavvy/Distributel/etc... :smithicide:

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
Given how apathetic most people are about carrier pricing and three-year contracts. I'm not surprised at all if they'd be willing to just suck it up if their bills went from $60-$70 a month to $80-$90. People love their phones to the point, where demand for mobile service is pretty inelastic.

The new entrant carriers haven't made much of a dent on the market even with unlimited everything at bargain basement pricing. Cause it seems the thing people care about the most are: 1. Network quality and having reception everywhere, even if they are only in the boonies like 1% of the time. 2. Getting the latest shiny phone for a cheap upfront cost. Whether they're getting gouged relative to the rest of the world is not high on their care list.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MoxSquad posted:

Given how apathetic most people are about carrier pricing and three-year contracts. I'm not surprised at all if they'd be willing to just suck it up if their bills went from $60-$70 a month to $80-$90.

About those three year contracts.

CRTC posted:

Today, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) issued a wireless code that will make it easier for Canadians to understand their contracts and sets out their basic rights. The code will apply to new contracts for cellphones and other personal mobile devices starting on December 2, 2013. It will also apply to contracts that are amended or extended after that date.

The wireless code addresses the main frustrations that Canadians shared with the CRTC, which included the length of wireless contracts, cancellation fees, roaming charges and other industry practices. Among other things, individual and small business consumers will be able to:

-terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term

-cap extra data charges at $50/month and international data roaming charges at $100/month to prevent bill shock

-have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full

-return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service

-accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., 2-year), and receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.

I haven't had time to read all the details, but this looks at first glance like a decent start.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

About those three year contracts.

I haven't had time to read all the details, but this looks at first glance like a decent start.

The Big 3 can easily maneuver around this, they'll just switch to a tab system and get rid of fixed-term contracts. Fido for example has already done this.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MoxSquad posted:

The Big 3 can easily maneuver around this, they'll just switch to a tab system and get rid of fixed-term contracts. Fido for example has already done this.

True enough (which is why I thought the focus on three-year contracts as a bugbear during the public debate was...counterproductive) but either way things improve.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

tehloki posted:

Honestly, even the $30/m I'm paying for my current service seems like a complete ripoff. I'm only paying for it because I started needing to use more. If they upped the price of my plan, I'd be more than happy to cancel my contract and go back to a pre-paid SIM.

I did it for 2 years, didn't cost me anywhere near what I'm paying now, I can easily do it again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MoxSquad posted:

What exactly is the tab system anyway? It looks like a phone loan of sorts, and I'm guessing these loans will now be extended to three years if I'm reading you right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

What exactly is the tab system anyway? It looks like a phone loan of sorts, and I'm guessing these loans will now be extended to three years if I'm reading you right.

It's basically the same as the Quebec early cancellation fee law/Rogers hardware upgrade policy.

The phone's cost is reduced by (Subsidized price of phone divided by months in contract) each month, and you can pay off that balance at any team to upgrade or leave.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Awesome, I'm glad that the CRTC is standing up for m....

quote:

It will apply to new contracts starting on December 2, 2013. It will also apply to contracts that are amended or extended after that date.

Never mind, I'm still hosed for the next year and a half or so of my contract.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lobok posted:

They give you a phone and x% of your monthly bill (usually 10%) goes toward paying off the value of the phone. So if your bill is $60 then every month your tab is decreased by $6 until the phone is paid off. You aren't technically locked into a contract because if you leave then you don't pay a set cancellation fee, you just have to pay off the remainder of your tab.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squibbles posted:

They give you a phone and x% of your monthly bill (usually 10%) goes toward paying off the value of the phone. So if your bill is $60 then every month your tab is decreased by $6 until the phone is paid off. You aren't technically locked into a contract because if you leave then you don't pay a set cancellation fee, you just have to pay off the remainder of your tab.

Oh, really? That's way worse than what Rogers has.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, really? That's way worse than what Rogers has.

Really? I'd gladly take that. With Rogers, I'd have to pay a ridiculous cancellation fee to leave my contract that is many times more than what the remaining value of my phone would be. I think it's completely fair and good to have a system where the phone's value is actually a loan you pay back, and leaving your contract means you pay off your subsidized phone (instead of an arbitrary $500 fee).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just pay the remaining value of your subsidy on a Rogers flextab. Except your cost is reduced by a 36th of that subsidy every month, instead of 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Oh and most providers with a tab system such as Koodo allow you to build up your tab if you don't currently have one. Koodo lets you build up to $150 in positive tab credit so next time you go to buy a phone your tab hit won't be as bad if you end up leaving early.