Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Traveller posted:

Are fantasy FPS dead? I was thinking I really miss Heretic, but I can't think of any recent fantasy FPS (and actually, I can't think of any fantasy FPS other than Heretic, the Hexens and augh Witchhaven)

Have you seen Amulets and Armor? See also the excellent Let's Play.

Also, if you're a little loose on the 'S' in fantasy FPS, there are the Ultima Underworlds and Thief games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Traveller posted:

Are fantasy FPS dead? I was thinking I really miss Heretic, but I can't think of any recent fantasy FPS (and actually, I can't think of any fantasy FPS other than Heretic, the Hexens and augh Witchhaven)

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is the only one I can think of and it is actually a pretty good game! It's $10 on Steam, definitely worth it in my opinion. The combat actually feels "right" and is punchy and brutal enough to work for the setting.

Comedy option: Elder Scrolls IV and V :v:

Oh yeah, I forgot Magestorm. It's not recent but it was a neat multiplayer FPS type thing where you slung spells at each other and caused large amounts of magical chaos. There were still people playing it online as of a few years ago, no idea how active the community is now.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 27, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's always King's Field, although those are Playstation games.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Evan Montegarde posted:

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is the only one I can think of and it is actually a pretty good game! It's $10 on Steam, definitely worth it in my opinion. The combat actually feels "right" and is punchy and brutal enough to work for the setting.

Also known as "The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks".

Basically, your Mighty Boot is the only weapon you really need. It's awesome.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The big weakness with fantasy FPSs is that very few first person games ever really got the melee combat aspect right. I think Dark Messiah is probably the best example of melee combat in an FPS since everything has such a strong sense of momentum and weight behind it where as most games just feels like you are just swiping at a hit box.

And obligatory Dark Messiah of Slippin' and Slidin'

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm thinking it might be difficult to market a fantasy FPS today, because you would have to really drive home the fact that "it's not Oblivion, but you should still play it".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Reskin "Condemned: Criminal Origins"; hobos become goblins.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is my absolute favorite game of the past years. The amount of fun I had loving with enemies in that game can't be matched by anything other than Dark Messiah 2.

Dishonored came close, and I really like what they did with that game in general as a spiritual successor to both DM and Bioshock, but the prominence of stealth kinda took away from it a bit.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm thinking it might be difficult to market a fantasy FPS today, because you would have to really drive home the fact that "it's not Oblivion, but you should still play it".

Yeah I don't think a Fantasy FPS would sell well these days without the 100% backing of a giant publisher. Though Game of Thrones being nasty-popular might help out.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 28, 2013

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Tewratomeh posted:

Why didn't I listen when you mentioned how bad Nuke It is? I actually sought it out, put the maps in my eDuke folder (in quarantine, didn't want them getting mixed in with the others), and skipped ahead to the M's just to get a sample. I played about 10 maps, and not a single one was playable or "good" in any sense of the word. I have it on good authority that every single map in that compilation is complete poo poo, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were all made by whoever released that CD.

Pretty much every CD-ROM level compilation released in the 1990s was just a big pile of files from a few different FTP sites with the "quantity over quality" factor taken to the extreme. I think all the levels being made by the publishers of the CD could have actually been a modest improvement.

I still have Nuke It on my hard drive, of course, mostly out of some terrible combination of nostalgia and masochism.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There's also Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for those who want an arena shooter equivalent with swords, clubs, maces, and bows :black101:

No magic, though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrBims posted:

I was playing UT3 on a laptop that had a Gears of War advertisement covering half the space in front of the keyboard when I opened the box. No points for guessing where Epic Games's attention has been the past 6 years.

At first when Gears came out I was excited that Epic had a new IP other than kicking out new UT games.

Now I am :smith: because that's all they care to do. Well, they may have crap for games now, at least they make great engines and tools. Unreal Engine is absolutely top-notch and has the best tools of any game engine out there; more than ID can say these days.

So.... I've played a s-ton of UT'99 and 2k4 and everything, but I never actually played Unreal 1 :shobon: guess now's the time.

Mak0rz posted:

There's also Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for those who want an arena shooter equivalent with swords, clubs, maces, and bows :black101:

No magic, though

I love Chivalry but it should be noted its multiplayer only really and very limited in what you do. But no other game out there gets in-your-face and makes you feel the brutality of medieval war like Chivalry.

Evan Montegarde posted:

I've heard good things about Arx Fatalis but I haven't tried it yet.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 28, 2013

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've heard good things about Arx Fatalis but I haven't tried it yet.

Arx is pretty awesome, its DMMM but with more computer like inventory management and other stuff. It makes a lot more sense when you learn it was supposed to be an Ultima Underworld game but they lost the rights.

That said, I found it very confusing to navigate, but a fun game overall.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uPTp1va8uw

This is looking/sounding great so far. I hope the gun sounds are improved though.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

daft punk railroad posted:

Pretty much every CD-ROM level compilation released in the 1990s was just a big pile of files from a few different FTP sites with the "quantity over quality" factor taken to the extreme. I think all the levels being made by the publishers of the CD could have actually been a modest improvement.

I still have Nuke It on my hard drive, of course, mostly out of some terrible combination of nostalgia and masochism.
The Maximum Doom CD was pretty bad in this regard as well. It did have some great WADs on it, but you had to dig through an utter mountain of poo poo (CEREALS.WAD, anyone?) to find them. Plus they lied about the number of WADs - the box said 3,000+, but the disc held just over half that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zero Star posted:

The Maximum Doom CD was pretty bad in this regard as well. It did have some great WADs on it, but you had to dig through an utter mountain of poo poo (CEREALS.WAD, anyone?) to find them. Plus they lied about the number of WADs - the box said 3,000+, but the disc held just over half that.

Well the manual for Maximum Doom said this:

So I'm pretty sure the box also said "over 3000 levels" instead of "over 3000 WADs".

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 29, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Setting up a Doom/Doom2 server on a VPS. Which WADs are the best for co-op? It's unofficially a goon server, so I'll post the details when it's ready to go. (Additionally it will be a HL1/HL2 mods server as well).

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Scythe 1 / 2 and Alien Vendetta to give a few.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Zero Star posted:

yourded.wad is an utter treasure.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Kakumei posted:

yourded.wad is an utter treasure.

Does yourded2.wad live up to that title?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Evan Montegarde posted:

Just finished playing through Winter's Fury and I highly recommend it. The boss fights are kind of boring and overly difficult, but all in all some very solid gameplay coupled with some of the best visuals I've seen in a Doom wad. It's neat to see story-driven wads that try to be "cinematic" in the Doom (well, Zdoom) engine and actually work out. Makes me wonder what could have been if the original vision for Doom, like that in the Doom Bible, would have been like as a game with Zdoom scripting and level design possibilities.

Can anyone recommend similar wads that feature some attempt at a story and original gameplay? For that matter, has anyone ever tried to recreate Tom Hall's original vision for Doom? Seems like it would be very possible with Zdoom.

Actually, I was playing through it earlier and I remembered that "The Ultimate Torment and Torture" might be another WAD to check out. It's a light objective/story-driven experience that takes place in a series of large, technically impressive levels. Boss fights, decent player voice acting, lots of GZDoom features like liquids and "room-over-room" tricks.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 29, 2013

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I don't even know what's going on in this doom mod but it looks amazing, especially the arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcKYwNlAJwk

also: Loving the retro game music bundle, kinda wish it had monster bash in it, though, that game had some really cool tracks.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 29, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

I don't even know what's going on in this doom mod but it looks amazing, especially the arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcKYwNlAJwk

also: Loving the retro game music bundle, kinda wish it had monster bash in it, though, that game had some really cool tracks.
Ah Doom Center!
There used to be a whole bunch of these, the community hated them because they'd rip a bunch of assets from other mods to combine together in these little cityscapes you could explore, there used to be a classification specifically for these kinds of wads, but I think the majority of them have been deleted from the archives.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Get a free copy of Shadow Warrior Classic on Steam by liking the official Facebook page.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I got a MySQL error when I tried liking it, and now it says I can only get one key and won't tell me what it is. It was worth a shot though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

This worked for me, but apparently there are some errors going on. "You can only get one key!" messages after it gives a MySQL error, etc...

So it might be best to wait a bit until they get their code fixed, so you don't make it think you've already got a key. Or you might want to strike soon while they still have keys.

How long has this even been on Steam?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Chinook posted:

This worked for me, but apparently there are some errors going on. "You can only get one key!" messages after it gives a MySQL error, etc...

So it might be best to wait a bit until they get their code fixed, so you don't make it think you've already got a key. Or you might want to strike soon while they still have keys.

How long has this even been on Steam?

Hasn't been up for very long. They just recently added it.

For those who have it on Steam, how does it compare to the GoG release?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hasn't been up for very long. They just recently added it.

For those who have it on Steam, how does it compare to the GoG release?

Evidently it doesn't include Twin Dragons or Wanton Destruction.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

Evidently it doesn't include Twin Dragons or Wanton Destruction.
Well that's a shame. At the very least I want a Shadow Warrior copy for Steam just to have for my profile.

Hopefully getting copies of Shadow Warrior out to people will revive interest in the game and hopefully get more sales of the remake out the door, ultimately giving us more people interested in old school shooters. And that's never a bad thing.

Edit: Update on the thing:

quote:

The free Shadow Warrior Classic App was mistakenly set to live early and there were no keys offered as the database was not setup yet! Sorry for the confusion but it will be working this week and you'll all have a chance for a free code for Shadow Warrior Classic on Steam!

That doesn't explain why some people got keys, though. In any case, we'll be getting keys later this week.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 29, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shadow Warrior is now just outright free to play through Steam. Dunno if its temporary or not, so get up in there!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Shadow Warrior is now just outright free to play through Steam. Dunno if its temporary or not, so get up in there!

According to the facebook page the database got hacked, so they just said "gently caress it" and made the game free.

Reive
May 21, 2009

The Kins posted:

Clicking play just opens the forums. :doh:

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Just a note that the Facebook page does say 'free for a limited time' so better off to grab it just in case they lock people out sooner rather than later. I suspect they may keep the base game free but charge for the expansions or something.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Reive posted:

Clicking play just opens the forums. :doh:

Try restarting Steam entirely. That usually works for stuff like that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
This is still the best Doom II mod (very, very NWS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKc79fo8LXs

It's like the game Running With Scissors (Postal) wants to make, but keeps failing. Link here for anybody who hasn't experienced it yet: http://darkgiovy.forumcommunity.net/?t=52343635

On an unrelated note, I guess I now own three perfectly functional copies of Shadow Warrior, the original disc version, the GoG version, and now the Steam version... same with Duke Nukem 3d now that I think of it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That link doesn't seem to work...

Also everyone downloading Shadow Warrior should make a backup of the directory in case Steam deletes it at some point. The game runs through Dosbox so is completely DRM free.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
In Wolfenstein: New Order, Blascowicz says one liners like "I got bad news for ya, Fritz!" (after picking up a cool new gun) and "They put a Nazi on the moon? gently caress the moon." (after finding out they put a Nazi on the moon.)

Do I want to play this game?

Ja.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In Shadow Warrior, turning left and right in the Steam release don't have any keys bound to them by default, which makes driving a huge pain in the rear end because you can't turn. Go into setup and bind them to the left and right arrow keys to fix it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DoombatINC posted:

Edit: The writing is pretty good, if anything can be said in its favor

I remember liking your crew mates but the The Ending happened and it was the dumbest goddamn thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

In Wolfenstein: New Order, Blascowicz says one liners like "I got bad news for ya, Fritz!" (after picking up a cool new gun) and "They put a Nazi on the moon? gently caress the moon." (after finding out they put a Nazi on the moon.)

Do I want to play this game?

Ja.

I'm with you. I see they're going the cheesy way with big, hilarious and over the top guns filled with nazi jokes and one liners. Seems that it'll be right up my alley, basically Wolfenstein meets RoTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Well, it looks like I can't beat level 2 of Shadow Warrior, because the machine that's supposed to give me the gold key causes the game to freeze :mad: