Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tiny Chalupa posted:

so I grabbed Crusader King 2 + the expansions, excluding the latest one until I try the game out more, outside of checking out
this link

Any other sites I should check out for tips before playing?

After that first LP, the Flamboyant Schemer one linked in the OP is good also. It is less instructional (it assumes that you already know the basic game mechanics and UI) but is written such that it is fantastic entertainment if you have even the slightest interest in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Also, I was wondering whether there was a limit with regards how powerful stats can make you. If I was to make a monster 60 martial guy in the ruler generator, would he be more or less unstoppable, or is it a case of diminishing returns? For example is it a case of everything over 30 or so doesn't make a great deal of difference, or could you make a guy with every point in martial who could just take on an army of 5000 with 500 men and win?

I've only tried this with intrigue, but during one of the multiplayer games where we all used the ruler designer I had a guy whose intrigue score was over 150. Now, while he was amazing, he was also not as good as the difference between, say, 5 intrigue and 20 intrigue would have you believe. Like, diplo-assassinations were clocking in at around 85% chance of success, which is far better than normal but still not 100%, and plots still took ages to fire if I couldn't get any co-conspirators(which I frequently couldn't because getting 150 intrigue involved making him a hunchback, cowardly dwarf who was hated by literally everyone). He did usually get around 1000% plot power just by himself, though, which was nice. This was with CK2+ turned on, by the way.

So, yeah, for Intrigue at least there are definitely diminishing returns.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone else experienced the Norse turning to Christianity?
Just began to happen in my game, somewhat without me realizing it, first out was Denmark I think where it seems it went somewhat from the ground up.

Then there was Sweden. It began with the daughter of the Swedish king, presumably murdering her father so she would inherit the crown, then a few years after it appears she, as the first significant person in Sweden, turned to Christianity. I kind of didn't quite catch it at first, but it soon became apparent that she was on a personal crusade to completely eradicate the Swedish nobility, revoking their titles, imprisoning them, banishing and executing nearly every single Norse (relgion) person in the entire country within a span of some 10 years. They are all gone now, replaced with Catholics, not a SINGLE vassal has negative opinion of her, and the significant ones all are 90+, she also controls 3 jarldoms and 7 counties (the max for her stewardship). Sweden also has an empire in the Baltic from its :black101: days and is by far the strongest country in Scandinavia, and now they have juicy Holy War targets in every direction (except Denmark) and a ruler whose vassals love her unconditionally :ohdear:

I'm in Norway, the Jarl of Vestlandet, I've been restraining myself greatly and somewhat roleplaying my rulers, my first two rulers were :black101: to the max, but after that I had an incredibly long-lived craven administrator dude, who only sent some people once it in a while to raid because it was expected of him, he eventually also backstabbed his way into the jarldom of Trøndelag and married his son (regular marriage) to the reigning Queen of Norway (I just sort of let the Ynglings unite Norway, even helped, my first two rulers were more interest in raiding than ruling). Though now the future doesn't look so bright with Gyla the invincible idol-smasher next door (Norway levies number roughly 4,000 Gyla's are somewhere in the vicinity of 15,000 and Denmark will not come to our aid).

best DLC so far, if you ask me, though it definitely needs some balance and tweaking, what with Hungary going on a conquering spree AFTER they settled down (in Hungary even) and forming a snaky empire stretching all the way to the eastern bounds of the map.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 29, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can I play with ck2+ if I don't own TOG?

Or am I hosed because its already patched in?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Can I play with ck2+ if I don't own TOG?

Or am I hosed because its already patched in?

Already patched, you're out of luck.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Just began to happen in my game, somewhat without me realizing it, first out was Denmark I think where it seems it went somewhat from the ground up.

Yeah: in a custom ruler Irish Viking game (replaced count of Dublin), I had Ivar the Boneless go Catholic sometime after his initial invasion. By this time I had conquered four Irish counties while his initial doomstack had been worn down, so I used it as a convenient excuse to gain my independence and eventually unite Ireland.

Ireland is still the best newbie-friendly start, even in Old Gods. Also, the Scandinavian Norse have problems with Gavelkind, but as an Irishman you get access to Tanistry without having to reform! The only problem I can think of with the start is not having easy access to Norse holy sites, so you'll be missing out on limiting the power of your vassals with Medium+ Crown Authority. Catholic rebels will also bother you every so often, but I prefer to think of them as free blot fodder.

Next time I might try turning Ulster into a Republic vassal for even more money, and the spectacle of Irish mercantile Vikings causing hell in the Mediterranean every time I want a new upgrade for my castles.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Enrico Dandolo posted:

East Francia picked up and moved a little further east (yes, all of it is in the picture).

East Francia, a few years ago:

Now it owns everything that isnt Lotharingia

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SeaTard posted:

Already patched, you're out of luck.
You can apparently roll back the patch by right clicking on your game in the list, open the properties window, go to the Betas tab, and then switch to "1_09x Patch Level"

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Well, going to give this a second shot.

I tried to do this in the past but just kept getting curbstomped trying to unite Ireland all the drat time.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I find it hilarious that Lotharingia manages to keep independent of the other two kingdoms in nearly every game. Historically, it was carved up in the aftermath of the Worst Divorce Case Ever, starring Lothair II, his wife Teutberga, his lover Waldrada, the Pope, and two kingdoms that wanted him dead. I kind of want to put off trying to play as Lothair II until I figure out how to legitimize his current bastards.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Randarkman posted:

It's really hard to convert those goddamn pagans. I was playing as the Byzantines, and decided to convert the Rus to glorious Orthodoxy. They imprisoned my guy, (after which you can't send another, possibly in your lifetime), so I sent another priest on.

Bam, imprisoned.

I ended up reconquering the Levant and Egypt, and giving it all to the priesthood, whom I taxed and levied outrageously.

Why, you might ask?

Every time one of those literate fucks got a tiny bit out of line, I immediately made them my personal priest, and gave them the great honor of going to convert the heathens in Norway. Or Finland, or Russia, or England, wherever, really. Out of the sixty-two priests I sacrificed to the Old Gods, one was not immediately imprisoned and was allowed to preach.

He quickly converted one of the King of Denmark's second cousins to Orthodoxy, and was imprisoned for his troubles.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

occipitallobe posted:

It's really hard to convert those goddamn pagans. I was playing as the Byzantines, and decided to convert the Rus to glorious Orthodoxy. They imprisoned my guy, (after which you can't send another, possibly in your lifetime), so I sent another priest on.

Bam, imprisoned.

I ended up reconquering the Levant and Egypt, and giving it all to the priesthood, whom I taxed and levied outrageously.

Why, you might ask?

Every time one of those literate fucks got a tiny bit out of line, I immediately made them my personal priest, and gave them the great honor of going to convert the heathens in Norway. Or Finland, or Russia, or England, wherever, really. Out of the sixty-two priests I sacrificed to the Old Gods, one was not immediately imprisoned and was allowed to preach.

He quickly converted one of the King of Denmark's second cousins to Orthodoxy, and was imprisoned for his troubles.

Haha, this is great. "Oh, Bishop, I have a special mission for you!"

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Datasmurf posted:

Quite interesting. I start up as some guy of Rogaland and within a week of starting, I get invaded and owned pretty hard. Both me and my heir died before I even had gotten a wife.

On my second start, I lasted a month before some Irish guy came across the ocean and raped Norway.

Then it was 2 AM and I had to get up for work in 6 hours, so I decided to call it for the night and try again today. Can't wait, though!

That's pretty much what happened to me. First game I played as a Count I got attacked within a month.

2nd game I actually started doing pretty well. Was about 30 gold away from creating my first Duchy title and I died at the age of 34 and the only two counties I had got split. :\

edit: I'm still pretty new to this game. I should probably not play as a Norseman until I get a better grasp on it.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Heh, playing a pre-patch game of CK2 because I want to finish my current game before moving on and I run into a bug that I saw here - when the Golden Horde converted to Nestorianism it made EVERY pagan rule do so.

So the pagan Kingdom of Ghana, which is quite large, just converted out of nowhere despite not a Christian in sight of it.

In my mind this is all due to one REALLY convincing Nestorian holy man.

In my game there are now three branches of Orthodox faith: A Monophylite Byzantine Empire with all of its 1066 territory under high crown authority (which they earned after they converted... due to this not only do all the Byzantine rulers in my game have absurdly high piety for all their converting but really high prestige too), a large Georgia-Azerbaian with traditional Orthodox faith, a Rukirovich (the only remaining ones) Finland-Novogrod who also follow the "main" Orthodox branch and now the Nestorian Ghana/Golden Horde.

Lollardy is also really odd in my game... it has huge swathes on Europe but all of the rulers themselves maintain to Catholicism, forcing a race to convert lost territories. The only traitor has been the King of France who is now losing his northern territories to a Saxon England.

Germany is free of Lollardy... because it's Fraticelli.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

Bam, imprisoned.

Why, you might ask?

See, here I was wondering why those silly enemy-lovers kept sending priests to my lands, providing me a neat secondary income and keeping my dungeons from getting moldy, but I hadn't considered it being a punishment. Maybe I'll go easier on the next chump (spoiler alert: I won't. Praise be to Svantevit.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SuicideSnowman posted:

That's pretty much what happened to me. First game I played as a Count I got attacked within a month.

2nd game I actually started doing pretty well. Was about 30 gold away from creating my first Duchy title and I died at the age of 34 and the only two counties I had got split. :\

edit: I'm still pretty new to this game. I should probably not play as a Norseman until I get a better grasp on it.

More like play a Duke or King. Counts require at least a little finesse cause you are so tiny/helpless. If you insist on learning as a Count, start as one in Ireland.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

occipitallobe posted:

Bam, imprisoned.

Why, you might ask?

Sounds frustrating. I really don't know how it happened but this is the end result in Sweden

This lady is as single-handedly responsible for ensuring the conversion of a country to Christianity, as there ever has been, unless you count whoever it was that baptised her. Her son (tutored by her) is amazingly enough still Norse though. But I guess she will beat him over the head with a bible 'till all he can see is crucifixes the minute he turns 16. Also turns out that some of her vassals have soured on her, as some only have like 40-50 relation with her now, rather than the full 100.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 29, 2013

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I ended up swapping from Scandinavia in my Harald Fairhair start game, to the newly formed Mega-Lithuania. Apparently while I was dealing with basically everyone rising up to crush me, the Lithuanian duke went on a conquering spree of basically every county that was formerly conquered by Denmark, Norway, or Sweden in the Baltic. Now, I've got the Romuva faith reformed and the succession changed to Elective, and the Norse Moral Authority fell into the toilet, leaving the new King of Sweden, Denmark, and Norway to convert to Catholicism and basically end the Norse faith. TOG is fun as hell, even if Gavelkind is still kinda screwy.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

If you do a reformation on the Norse religion, you still can't switch to primogeniture unless you have High crown authority?

I hate hate hate gavelkind :(

Are only unlanded sons given crap once you die? Can I give my second son a duchy and the first one gets everything else?

The best alert was the "you haven't been at war in 2 years. you're losing prestige, go kill something"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Randarkman posted:

Sounds frustrating, I really don't know how it happened but this is the end result in Sweden

This lady is as single-handedly responsible for ensuring the conversion of a country to Christianity, as there ever has been, unless you count whoever it was that baptised her. Her son (tutored by her) is amazingly enough still Norse though. But I guess she will beat him over the head with a bible 'till all he can is crucifixes the minute he turns 16. Also turns out that some of her vassals have soured on her, as some only have like 40-50 relation with her now, rather than the full 100.

Saint Gyla sounds pretty :black101: to be honest. Swear fealty to her, convert, help her conquer Norway!

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

crm posted:

If you do a reformation on the Norse religion, you still can't switch to primogeniture unless you have High crown authority?

I hate hate hate gavelkind :(

Are only unlanded sons given crap once you die? Can I give my second son a duchy and the first one gets everything else?

Kind of. Basically, if you give your unlanded sons stuff, it counts 'against' their inheritance. If I was a Duke with three counties and a Duchy, and three sons, and I gave my second son a county, my third and first sons would inherit the other two.

Under old gavelkind, you could just give your first son all your poo poo and happily wait to die, which made the law effectively a way to have more holdings and keep your family happy. Now it actually works as intended, which is both frustrating and kinda neat.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Saint Gyla sounds pretty :black101: to be honest. Swear fealty to her, convert, help her conquer Norway!

.. I am the king-consort of Norway, my son is set to inherit the kingdom, Gyla seems (at the moment) more interested in conquering Baltic pagans, so we're safe for now.

Though I will not disagree that Gyla is :black101: as gently caress and would be a clear candidate for the Scandinavian "convert or be chopped to pieces"-rear end in a top hat-saint in this timeline. I've never seen an AI ruler crush internal dissent as completely as she's done, now she just has to convert the people as well. seems like 4 counties in Sweden proper are catholic sofar, more outside in the Baltics and Finland.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 29, 2013

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Was anyone else vaguely saddened that you can't go to any of the intermediate dates between the new Viking start and 1066 when starting a game? I always liked watching the realms develop.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

withak posted:

After that first LP, the Flamboyant Schemer one linked in the OP is good also. It is less instructional (it assumes that you already know the basic game mechanics and UI) but is written such that it is fantastic entertainment if you have even the slightest interest in the game.

I'd like to suggest Saltborn: A Crovan AAR. It's from a patch version near release so there's a lot different (no republics or retinues for instance, but the style of writing and the form of humor is, well, SA-esque.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Was anyone else vaguely saddened that you can't go to any of the intermediate dates between the new Viking start and 1066 when starting a game? I always liked watching the realms develop.

Yeah, I had thought it was going to be an extension of all the dates back to 867.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cumfart Vortex posted:

Yeah, I had thought it was going to be an extension of all the dates back to 867.

I'd bet on it getting modded in. I was hoping that too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

occipitallobe posted:

Bam, imprisoned.

Why, you might ask?

Oh man, that's great. I'm playing as a pagan Empire of Scandinavia (though it's probably going to collapse after my current ruler dies) and it occurred to me that probably half the bishops in Europe have been in my dungeons at one time or another.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure that the new Gavelkind is a bug, because there why else would the heir get a king title and a single county (the least developed one of course), the second in line get 2 duchy titles and 4 counties, and the third, fourth, and fifth get nothing?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

This DLC owns so hard. Can anybody recommend a Viking-appropriate Pandora station, maybe some metal?
:rock: :black101:

http://open.spotify.com/track/2tx8xSVXqktDPDnp6dcXzL

In Flames, amazing band, melodic death metal straight from Sweden for all your Viking pillaging needs :black101:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If there's one thing I love in Crusader Kings II it's the stories it generates. I started a game as the King of Croatia and was poking around. I narrowly missed a chance to seize Hungary, stole some lands from scheming relatives only to have them stolen from me, and the usual things. I had one truly major problem, however. My wife would only have daughters. One daughter after another and each time I got my hopes up that this time I would get a son.

So I had just started a war with the HRE to reclaim one of my ducal lands that they stole from me thinking I could snatch that one tiny piece of property back while they were occupied elsewhere. As soon as the siege started however, the king fell over dead and the country was divided among his many daughters, the oldest of which was about twelve. Okay, the HRE was still busy, I could wrap this up and try to fix the kingdom. Then my excellent marshal fell over dead and the next in line for the generalship was completely incompetent. The HRE rolled in, smashed my army, and it was over.

That's when Venice decided it would be a good time to seize the coast and as I'm getting crushed by them my aunt decides that she should be Queen of Croatia. I don't have any troops to fight with so I give in immediately thinking that I'll just build up against from a dutchy. Except the dutchy I got effectively all in the hands of Venice. I was a duchess in name only with massively negative prestige and little ability to gain allies through marriage. My ability scores were all crap except for diplomacy.

I tried to see if I could weasel my way back into more power without much success so finally I said, "Screw this! One of my sisters is my heir! I'll just start a war, get myself killed, and pick the game up with her!"

I think you can see where this is going.

The quickest way to start a war was to declare myself a faction for Queen of Croatia. I go ahead and do that, start my war, and sit back and wait to get crushed. And I am, the one province I have nominal control over is quickly beaten.

That's when the rest of the family gets involved. My four sisters join the war on my side. They bring in their husbands' families. Serbia is shattered and my aunt is reduced to nothing in a matter of weeks. Without me having to lift a finger, my family defeats her, throws her in the dungeon, and I'm reinstated as Queen.

I still don't have a male heir, though, so I might be going through this again twenty years down the line...

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bogdamn, has the AI always been so opportunistic? Peasant revolt? Here's 40k East Francian troops being dicks in the name of the Lord. Helping my Polish buddies/quasi-vassals in a defensive war? The loving Rus' declare war. I mean, in a way I'm glad because I only took the county they want to reform the faith and it's seriously messing with my pretty borders. I guess this is one way of getting rid of it, but still. Being an opportunistic jerk is my strategy.

Oh wait, I don't need to keep the holy sites after reforming the faith, do I? That would suck.

edit: You don't. It's only fair really, otherwise the Christians would be kind of hosed at later dates.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 29, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I almost did the same thing, but then I had a better idea. I assigned myself as the prisoner girl's educator, converted her to the Norse faith, culture-flopped her to Norse, and then, when she hit 16, I took her as a concubine.
For me, the prisoner girl in question was the Princess of France, captured at age 3, who happened to have a strong claim on the throne of France. After making her my concubine, I pressed her claim to the throne, to see what would happen.

Turns out, concubinage ends if the person becomes a ruler in their own right. (Guess that makes sense). So I just divorced my wife (she was like 50 at that point) and married the newly-minted Norse Queen of France instead. She had 100 opinion of me, despite the whole "briefly made into a concubine" thing.

And then, of course, she didn't manage to get pregnant in the 20 years before dying at age 35 from the common cold, so my line didn't actually end up on the throne of France. But she did manage to convert the nobility to Norse pretty effectively, at least, so when her brother took over it remained a fairly friendly kingdom.

Smirr posted:

Oh wait, I don't need to keep the holy sites after reforming the faith, do I? That would suck.
No...why would that suck, though? You're not keeping them in your personal demesne, are you? They just have to be somewhere in your realm in order to reform the faith. And as long as someone of your faith holds them, you get the bonus to moral authority.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Does starting at the Old Gods start date just simply give you an extra 200 years of game time, or does that start date have an earlier ending date?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Okay, so the Pagan religion in Ruler Designer isn't set for holy sites, making it CTD if you check the religion tab.

There goes another Irish pagan ruler. :negative:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kersch posted:

Does starting at the Old Gods start date just simply give you an extra 200 years of game time, or does that start date have an earlier ending date?
The former. It's just a new bookmark.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

No...why would that suck, though? You're not keeping them in your personal demesne, are you? They just have to be somewhere in your realm in order to reform the faith. And as long as someone of your faith holds them, you get the bonus to moral authority.

No, I'm not holding them personally (well, the county that one of them is in, actually). I just briefly feared that as soon as I went below 3/5 the game would shove me back into gavelkind and all that other unreformed crap. But that would be really unfair to pagans, and you don't need to be above 750 piety or 50% moral authority all the time after reforming, either, so really that was a bit of a brainfart on my end.

The Russian king is Suomenusko, for some reason, but I just took the rest of Finland, so I guess it all evens out.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 29, 2013

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

How's the Abbasids doing in peoples' games? This is the situation in mine, the Byzantines had a period of resurgence, but then got their rear end handed to them when the Abbasids seized control of Egypt and then the entirety of northern and western Africa.

The darker green in Iberia is the Shia Caliphate, they popped up and destroyed the Ummayads quite a while back.

Is there some sort of event or anything to have the Seljuks show up? The Abbasids need something to shake them up, though they are capable of raising something like 250,000 troops now, so unless they show up with a completely ridiculous stack I'm not sure what could be done.

Are they tied to appear as a decadense invasion army perhaps?

EDIT: Also how does the HRE form? West Francia at the moment controls 4 kingdoms and more than half the de jure territory.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 29, 2013

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Smirr posted:

You could do it like me: curse a lot and briefly consider fighting (in your case) 20 subjugation wars before your guy drops (taking a cool 200 years if you don't have the "become king" ambition), then say "gently caress it" and edit your savegame so you have 50% authority. v:shobon:v But yeah, if you don't want to cheat you need to ramp up the conquering.

How exactly would I do this? No matter what I do I can't seem to conquer faster than I lose authority, because other norse guys are currently having their asses handed to them by catholic England.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is the DLC "Dynasty Coat of Arms Pack III" missing from Steam or something? I have this popup stating there is new DLC available but I see no listing through Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Man, gently caress the Mongols. I was playing as a count in Hungary until the Ilkhanate came in. They had wiped out the Golden Horde, taken Constantinople, and were fielding twice the army of the Holy Roman Empire.

• Locked thread