Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It sounds like somethings never change; Back in classic Everquest, when the servers were small tightly knit communities, it wasn't hard to get to know all of the regulars, which in turn meant getting a bad reputation wasn't hard either. The thing was though, the stuff people would hate you for was very petty. It wasn't hard at all to set someone off and get them to have their entire guild to never invite you to any groups or help you. We're talking not responding to a /tell within seconds sort of stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It sounds like somethings never change; Back in classic Everquest, when the servers were small tightly knit communities, it wasn't hard to get to know all of the regulars, which in turn meant getting a bad reputation wasn't hard either. The thing was though, the stuff people would hate you for was very petty. It wasn't hard at all to set someone off and get them to have their entire guild to never invite you to any groups or help you. We're talking not responding to a /tell within seconds sort of stuff here.

Mercs, multiboxing and the ease of soloing will do that

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Well in classic you had like 30 people per zone. If you trained a group you'd have 6 people pissed off at you cuz they lost like an hour's experience, but they could leave or you could leave and you could still find exp. As it is now with mercs and multiboxing, zones can only support like 2-3 people and their boxes; couple that with only having like 2 zones that are even worth exping in. People see someone AFK camping half a zone all day everyday, I could see someone getting pissed. People only really want to level if they can camp a spot and LoTD like 300 mobs without moving.

It doesn't really bother me either way, that's just how the game is, if it wasn't him, some other dude would be there anyways, doing practically the same thing they are pissed at him for. I don't think the goons care about him doing it, just that "he ruined their guild's rep" in other people's eyes.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 28, 2013

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

darkhand posted:

Well in classic you had like 30 people per zone. If you trained a group you'd have 6 people pissed off at you cuz they lost like an hour's experience, but they could leave or you could leave and you could still find exp. As it is now with mercs and multiboxing, zones can only support like 2-3 people and their boxes; couple that with only have like 2 zones that are even worth exping in. People see someone AFK camping half a zone all day everday, I could see someone getting pissed. People only really want to level if they can camp a spot and LoTD like 300 mobs without moving.

It doesn't really bother me either way, that's just how the game is, if it wasn't him, some other dude would be there anyways, doing practically the same thing they are pissed at him for. I don't think the goons care about him doing it, just that "he ruined their guild's rep."

The ruined rep and hatred shared by the whole server is actually just a couple of vocal people in general. If the rep of the roost is truly tarnished it's been done by other people, not the afk grinder absolutely no one cares about.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Hahaha, that's pretty funny then. I came onto test I guess as roost was disintegrating, I guess I was misinformed. Not funny that the guild "got tarnished", just funny that yeah test people are a bunch of loving babies.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 28, 2013

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Honestly, despite my being AFK 90% of the time (When I'm home from work I actually do monitor the screen and pull some more mobs) I've helped goons (items, money etc..) and they've helped me.

If ANYTHING was infringing on the rep of the goon guild, someone should have said something in this thread. I would have de-guilded immediately. I don't care enough about this server or EQ in general, but for the people who play alot on this server, this is their home server. Why would I want to gently caress with that?

This poo poo has come from literally out of nowhere and I'm bummed that I caused any grief, and that no one said anything until now.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Comfortador posted:

Honestly, despite my being AFK 90% of the time (When I'm home from work I actually do monitor the screen and pull some more mobs) I've helped goons (items, money etc..) and they've helped me.

If ANYTHING was infringing on the rep of the goon guild, someone should have said something in this thread. I would have de-guilded immediately. I don't care enough about this server or EQ in general, but for the people who play alot on this server, this is their home server. Why would I want to gently caress with that?

This poo poo has come from literally out of nowhere and I'm bummed that I caused any grief, and that no one said anything until now.

I've never seen, nor heard anyone even mention it outside of the guild/forums. Paw is a huge zone and unless you shouldn't be there anyways you aren't clearing more than a third of it yourself so I don't even see how you are a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it man. Keep on afking it up. If you outlevel that, the zone with tons of islands in TBS is another decent afk spot.

Malt fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 28, 2013

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Malt posted:

I've never seen, nor heard anyone even mention it outside of the guild/forums. Paw is a huge zone and unless you shouldn't be there anyways you aren't clearing more than a third of it yourself so I don't even see how you are a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it man. Keep on afking it up. If you outlevel that, the zone with tons of islands in TBS is another decent afk spot.

Well I was just AA'ing there. The camp I'm taking is right at the entrance, there are 2 rooms with 4 mobs (5 with the one that spawns in the middle) That's literally all I take every day.

I'm probably not going to be playing like I thought, so I'm just AA'ing it up for shits and giggles at this point.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No one cares about you AFK leveling except for the usual EQ drama-queens and who the gently caress cares what they think. Play the game however you want, especially on Test.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

darkhand posted:

Hahaha, that's pretty funny then. I came onto test I guess as roost was disintegrating, I guess I was misinformed. Not funny that the guild "got tarnished", just funny that yeah test people are a bunch of loving babies.

Welcome to EQ. Behavior actually matters to people there. Reputations get developed, people pay attention to them, and they're particularly sensitive to poo poo that's inconsiderate to other players. AFK grinding in particular is frowned on by the playerbase across pretty much all servers.

That being said, Roost's reputation going to poo poo probably had very little to do specifically with someone AFK grinding and an awful lot to do with goons being goons in General.

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

Malt posted:

The ruined rep and hatred shared by the whole server is actually just a couple of vocal people in general. If the rep of the roost is truly tarnished it's been done by other people, not the afk grinder absolutely no one cares about.

This is not entirely true. I was defending the guild to people outside of general including my friends and the only problem was the 24/7 afk grinding. It's not hurting anybody but apparently it doesn't make anybody any friends either. It's fine not to care, but at least not care accurately.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

darkhand posted:

Well in classic you had like 30 people per zone. If you trained a group you'd have 6 people pissed off at you cuz they lost like an hour's experience, but they could leave or you could leave and you could still find exp. As it is now with mercs and multiboxing, zones can only support like 2-3 people and their boxes; couple that with only having like 2 zones that are even worth exping in. People see someone AFK camping half a zone all day everyday, I could see someone getting pissed. People only really want to level if they can camp a spot and LoTD like 300 mobs without moving.

It doesn't really bother me either way, that's just how the game is, if it wasn't him, some other dude would be there anyways, doing practically the same thing they are pissed at him for. I don't think the goons care about him doing it, just that "he ruined their guild's rep" in other people's eyes.

One time back in 2000 I had just started and I was sitting outside felwithe on my mage who was like level 4 or some poo poo. Some scrub asks me to 'hold' a staff while he logs in a different character to trade it to. I looked at the staff and it was a Firecrystal Staff, coolest thing I ever saw (from Sol B or some poo poo) so I took off running with it. The dude chased me all the way to the boat in Butcherblock screaming in ooc because there was no general channel.

Those were the good 'ol days, change continents and you effectively became anonymous. I think a GM confiscated that staff from me and gave it back to him I cant remember

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

No More Heroes posted:

One time back in 2000 I had just started and I was sitting outside felwithe on my mage who was like level 4 or some poo poo. Some scrub asks me to 'hold' a staff while he logs in a different character to trade it to. I looked at the staff and it was a Firecrystal Staff, coolest thing I ever saw (from Sol B or some poo poo) so I took off running with it. The dude chased me all the way to the boat in Butcherblock screaming in ooc because there was no general channel.

Those were the good 'ol days, change continents and you effectively became anonymous. I think a GM confiscated that staff from me and gave it back to him I cant remember

I was on Rallos Zek PVP server so I never trusted anyone...no way would I hand a random stranger an item an ask them to hold it. No, we did it like MEN - find the most obscure spot you can, drop the item on the ground, log in other character and pick it up. :D

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you're spending more time afk in the game than you do playing it, maybe you should find another game to play?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

ponzicar posted:

If you're spending more time afk in the game than you do playing it, maybe you should find another game to play?

You've played EQ before right? A good chunk is tedious if you're the wrong class. Leveling, AAing, factioning, etc. There are fun times that deserve my actual presence, and boring times that need to get done that enhance the fun times. I let a ranger/sk do the boring work for me, he lets a merc. Blame EQ for the way the game is, not the player.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Posting this so everyone can see how ridiculous it is for anyone to be upset at what he is doing. The red circle is what he is killing afk. If someone is honestly complaining about that, you really have no reason to talk to that person or defend his actions. They are stupid.

The 5 named in the zone can't spawn there and the mobs are the lowest level in the zone at the entrance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malt fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 29, 2013

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

MrTheDevious posted:

Nobody join/rejoin Roost at this point unless you like being ostracized by an entire server and trained anytime you go basically anywhere thanks to that guy.

Glad I never bothered to leave my private <Botswarm> guild to join Roost.

And not because of the rep, having played long term on Test I give no fucks really. I would just hate losing my personal guild (and guildbank) just to move to another empty guild.

ShankyMcStabber fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 29, 2013

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ShankyMcStabber posted:

And not because of the rep, having played long term on Test I give no fucks really. I would just hate losing my personal guild (and guildbank) just to move to another empty guild.

I play semi-frequently on Test and never seen anyone crying about the Roost guild, who is experiencing this ostracizing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ShankyMcStabber posted:

After all this, I was thinking of making a new guild on Test called the <Avatars of Fear and Kaos>.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Malt posted:

Posting this so everyone can see how ridiculous it is for anyone to be upset at what he is doing. The red circle is what he is killing afk. If someone is honestly complaining about that, you really have no reason to talk to that person or defend his actions. They are stupid.

The 5 named in the zone can't spawn there and the mobs are the lowest level in the zone at the entrance.

Exactly, when someone said near the entrance to Paw I presumed they had said the wrong zone.

For lazy xp'ing in Paw the best spot is that little nook south of 3 and clearing pretty much everything on the map to the west north and east of it. The "beach" up and right from 5 isn't bad for pulling passer by stuff and needs a little bit of running around. Other than that and the entrance area for slightly lower levels the rest of the place is too much of a pita unless you find a puller who is keen as mustard.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sancho posted:

You've played EQ before right? A good chunk is tedious if you're the wrong class. Leveling, AAing, factioning, etc. There are fun times that deserve my actual presence, and boring times that need to get done that enhance the fun times. I let a ranger/sk do the boring work for me, he lets a merc. Blame EQ for the way the game is, not the player.

Level 100 bard, 9k AAs, level 95 wizard box, cazic server. Play how you want, but EQ is 99% grinding. I figure it's more fun to actively play on occasion and have fun than to get burned out efficiently.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

AFK leveling never made much sense to me. You sit AFK all night for 30 AA which takes all of an hour at most of actively playing on Test.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

AFK leveling never made much sense to me. You sit AFK all night for 30 AA which takes all of an hour at most of actively playing on Test.

Zero effort vs. an hour of effort.

Personally, I love the idea of AFK leveling just because I was an original EQ player and I remember sitting killing mobs for 4 hours at a time for one blue bubble during a hell level, and it's like 'sticking it to the man' to gain XP with absolutely zero effort. :)

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I'm currently AFKing. But, I found an extremely out of the way spot in a zone that's always empty, mostly because it's such a PITA to get to. My pet kills the 3 spawns and 2 roamers every 22 minutes and after a day or so, I get a level.

This way, I can study for the MCAT and gain some levels. It's a win-win.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It was rough being a 12 year old playing everquest, but god drat did I love ever second of it. I started the same week kunark came out and never made it past level 32, and I quit when luclin came out. I'm not sure how long of a time span that was.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

ponzicar posted:

Level 100 bard, 9k AAs, level 95 wizard box, cazic server. Play how you want, but EQ is 99% grinding. I figure it's more fun to actively play on occasion and have fun than to get burned out efficiently.

So you definitely know what I mean. The times I do play, I'm grouping or questing or generally doing poo poo or making real plat. When Game of Thrones comes on, I can pay a ranger something ridiculously cheap like 60k and park my rear end for an hour and come back with lots of AA's some other chump ground out for me. If I wanted some AA's I could park in a bad spot in Paw and let my merc afk kill while I go to work and make money in the real world. I try to mitigate wasted time just like any other stat in EQ. Faster mounts for travel, ports, exp potions, taskadds, MQ's. Hell there are people cool enough to mitigate the horrible grind that is the 3.0 shawl in this thread. I don't bemoan you for keeping your chin up and grinding through it, but I don't blame players who try to leverage their time in such a grindy game.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Carl Seitan posted:

I'm currently AFKing. But, I found an extremely out of the way spot in a zone that's always empty, mostly because it's such a PITA to get to. My pet kills the 3 spawns and 2 roamers every 22 minutes and after a day or so, I get a level.

This way, I can study for the MCAT and gain some levels. It's a win-win.

This is how one properly AFKs. Literally no goon gives a flying gently caress if you AFK merc at all, Zebiss and a few others were just catching nonstop hell from most of Test because they were still in Roost and everyone was pissed about the Paw mercing. Had nothing to do with goons being goons in general, 100% the AFKing in Paw. In any case, it's over now so lets quit beating the dead horse

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

MrTheDevious posted:

In any case, it's over now so lets quit beating the dead horse

Ok, but I'm going to leave my merc parked on top of it for when it respawns.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I chatted a bit with Brilaee/Salelnie when I was trying to dump the TS stuff in my bank before quitting/deleting my testcopy stuff. She(?) seemed to be pretty friendly with me after I mentioned I knew you and was from RoI. Like I said before, I might be willing to do some low stress for me raiding on test on days I'm not actually raiding on Xegony. Besides being one of the best in game druids, I can also play a voa/rof raid equipped SK that can probably tank at par with any tank in your guild.

It would be a completely secondary thing for me, but spending some time helping out lower guilds isn't completely against me. I mean, gently caress, I would love to have a parse of me being #1 dps on dagarn. Or one of the other worthless NToV dragons.

For as selfish as that sounds, sun+mon are our T2+3 raids, Weds is NToV, Thur is T1. If you want help in raids that I don't have lockouts for, let me know I might be able to help out on them.

For anyone else on test, if you need plat/coolthings/dreammotes/TS things, let me know. I'll try to copy them as I can.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

MrTheDevious posted:

This is how one properly AFKs. Literally no goon gives a flying gently caress if you AFK merc at all, Zebiss and a few others were just catching nonstop hell from most of Test because they were still in Roost and everyone was pissed about the Paw mercing. Had nothing to do with goons being goons in general, 100% the AFKing in Paw. In any case, it's over now so lets quit beating the dead horse

I saw people afk'ing at the entry mobs in the Hole, are they similarly looked down upon? Thats kinda what gave me the idea.

I'll de guild my duders today when I get home from work. I wish someone would have said something earlier.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

jetz0r posted:

I chatted a bit with Brilaee/Salelnie when I was trying to dump the TS stuff in my bank before quitting/deleting my testcopy stuff. She(?) seemed to be pretty friendly with me after I mentioned I knew you and was from RoI. Like I said before, I might be willing to do some low stress for me raiding on test on days I'm not actually raiding on Xegony. Besides being one of the best in game druids, I can also play a voa/rof raid equipped SK that can probably tank at par with any tank in your guild.

It would be a completely secondary thing for me, but spending some time helping out lower guilds isn't completely against me. I mean, gently caress, I would love to have a parse of me being #1 dps on dagarn. Or one of the other worthless NToV dragons.

For as selfish as that sounds, sun+mon are our T2+3 raids, Weds is NToV, Thur is T1. If you want help in raids that I don't have lockouts for, let me know I might be able to help out on them.

For anyone else on test, if you need plat/coolthings/dreammotes/TS things, let me know. I'll try to copy them as I can.

Thanks again for all the stuff last night and to both you and Kodaji for bringing me through that flagging and watching the pubbies die to the fan :science:

Now just need to get about a billion AA on my guys and I should be moving along nicely!

(I am Fistish in case it's not clear here!)

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Dunno if this will help you, but this is kinda what I did around your level range:

70ish, Loping Plains gators/worgs (there's a task for the worgs), the Farm
This is pretty nice because it's really fast to get to, PoK->Steamfont->LP or DSH

75ish, Direwind, there's huge amount of mobs near the scouts/Valley looking area. There's a quest for the Ashengate Seal that lets you go past the giant golems near Ashengate, or you can just kill them I guess, You have to navigate on the scaffolds above the valley to get there. In that area is huge amounts of mobs for really nice XP if you can survive that many. You can also get into Ashengate which is decent XP, just a bit tougher.
There's also a lot of Buried Sea zones you can xp in, they're really not very good though.

Around level 80 you can pull big amounts of mobs in low70s zones or do Tosk boars, Field of Scale beasts, the gnome zones off DSH like beza and zeka.

For low/mid-80s there's Korascian Warrens until you're ready for HoT stuff.

At 75 we/I can run you through the J5 merc Quests

darkhand fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 30, 2013

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Whoever removed me already, thanks.

If anyone needs anything money or item wise just get ahold of me in the thread. Still got lots of manastones, and I have Pre-nerf Circlets of Shadows. Those seem to be the most popular.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

What's the best server for two goons to join? we are casual players who want to hang out with some other people that have proper goony ethics.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

There's nowhere for new goons to go on Test now, so not here unless you want to join one of the spam invite megaguilds full of the server's dregs. FV/Xeg/Luclin really, with goon presence mostly on Luclin and FV having its weird rule set that may or may not appeal to you.

Illa - Salelenie is awesome in every way. You're totally welcome to come raid, ours are Sun/Tues/Thurs starting at 5cst. Do NOT, however, mention that you're only doing it out of boredom or even allude to the fact you still play on Live mainly, cause they'll boot you out of spite (a few of our officers started playing on live and pissed the other ones off). I'm all for it though cause we currently have ONE 30% attendance druid and that's it, plus our tank lineup is 1 good yet undergeared warrior, then me and one other good SK that're both voa/rof raid geared and outtank the warrior. Just tell everyone you can only make some of the raids and say nothing about Live and you're good :v:

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

xutech posted:

What's the best server for two goons to join? we are casual players who want to hang out with some other people that have proper goony ethics.

Depending on what "goony ethics" means, you can probably join the guild I'm leading on Test atm. It's all old school people from Luclin that have started playing again - pretty active, and you can actually get groups that aren't just one dude running 3-4 boxes.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

There's nowhere for new goons to go on Test now, so not here unless you want to join one of the spam invite megaguilds full of the server's dregs.

I'll offer my guild to any goon who wants a spot. Only requirement being don't be an rear end in a top hat. Anyone online can invite, just have to catch us not AFK. Tag is <The Elementalists>

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Hey you don't have PMs but I have something of extreme financial interest to you to tell you about, send me an email at my username at gmail or log in or something asap

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

lotor9530 posted:

I'll offer my guild to any goon who wants a spot. Only requirement being don't be an rear end in a top hat. Anyone online can invite, just have to catch us not AFK. Tag is <The Elementalists>

We also just got a new neighborhood guild house, which is basically the same as the default guild house with the exception of being able to place your anchors in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

Hey you don't have PMs but I have something of extreme financial interest to you to tell you about, send me an email at my username at gmail or log in or something asap

Stuff sent, said he's off P for the weekend til raid