Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Is the DLC "Dynasty Coat of Arms Pack III" missing from Steam or something? I have this popup stating there is new DLC available but I see no listing through Steam.

Apparently it's already being advertised but will only be release in late June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo does Gavelkind suck rear end. What's the best way to deal with it? Murder everyone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think if you make your extra sons bishops then they can't inherit.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
So is there any way to succeed as one of the Zoroastrian rulers without just immediately converting? It seems like even if you're lucky enough to survive the first five years without being holy-warred to death and get a decent kingdom together (as happened in one of my games), you're just on borrowed time until the incredibly powerful Abbasids decide to stick 60000 troops down your throat.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

How exactly would I do this? No matter what I do I can't seem to conquer faster than I lose authority, because other norse guys are currently having their asses handed to them by catholic England.

Open the savegame you want to modify in a text editor (the savegame is in My Documents, and using Notepad++ is advisable for Paradox savegame editing/modding). The religions are towards the end of the save file. If you do a search for "norse_pagan=", there should only be one hit and that's the block you want to modify. It should look like this:

code:
	norse_pagan=
	{
		parent="noreligion"
		reformed="norse_pagan_reformed"
		authority=
		{
			modifier="lost_holy_war"
			date="977.6.29"
		}
		authority=
		{
			modifier="looted_infidel_temple"
			date="967.5.27"
		}
 [and so on...]
	}
It doesn't tell you what % authority is at, so take note of what it is in-game. What I did then was to simply repeat this modifier, from a war I had actually won, 11 times (I was 11 points short and it's worth one point each):

code:
		authority=
		{
			modifier="won_county_conquest"
			date="975.3.29"
		}
I used the same date for all 11 wars that I "won". The game doesn't seem to care. Although you might want to take care that you follow the chronological order of newer events towards the top - I'm not sure if that makes a difference. When I loaded that save I had 50% authority. There might be better ways of doing this (e.g. using a modifier that gives you more than one point so you don't have to c&p as often), but if it works it works.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I didn't even think about raiding during my first two rulers, but seeing all those fun events happen to other people in this thread I decided to try it at least once after my female ruler died and my son inherited. Yeah, it might be a bit overpowered...

I send an army to pillage Genoa, Rome and Venice like clockwork every time the looted status expires, and I usually take home something like 1200-1500 gold every time.
He even got the viking trait while sitting in Holstein.

Does anyone know what's supposed to be in the chest you find while raiding? I've opened it three times now, but it's just scrolls that turn to dust every time. I assume it's tied to my traits or stats?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

withak posted:

I think if you make your extra sons bishops then they can't inherit.

Can somebody verify this works in Norseland?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

"Prepared Invasion" via diplomacy with a non-pagan.

Is that playing as a non-pagan or are the West African pagans not counted as pagans for the Prepared Invasion?

I'm trying to prepare an invasion on the Muslims in the North, starts with a U. I can't even siege their places with my own men and no mercenaries to help either.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Nightblade posted:

Does anyone know what's supposed to be in the chest you find while raiding? I've opened it three times now, but it's just scrolls that turn to dust every time. I assume it's tied to my traits or stats?

Digging around in the event files suggests it has 4 results (3 that have a high chance of happening, and one very rare one). Other than the scrolls you can get 200 ducats or junk (which is presumably just as useless). As for the 4th option it seems fun and I have no idea what it results in gameplay-wise from looking at the .txt so I think I'll leave it a mystery (if you really want to know open oldgods_various_events under your CK2 install's 'events' folder and search for 'chest opened').

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Nightblade posted:

EDIT: Ugh, beaten to the punch. Well done.

It's random chance, actually. You can get either a chest full of Roman coins worth 200 gold, a chest full of junk worth 10 gold, a chest full of scrolls worth nothing, or, at the least likely, turns out that you just opened the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark. You close your eyes, but when you open them, your guards have all been turned to ash. :black101:

Have I mentioned that this DLC is ridiculous? It doesn't even begin to take itself seriously. It's hilarious stress relief to come in as a Viking, burn poo poo to the ground, and then come back to Scandinavia in a boat full of gold, women and a +2 magical axe. Paradox :allears:

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 29, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
2 more days til I can get my Viking on. Ugggh, curse you payday schedule!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

crm posted:

Can somebody verify this works in Norseland?
Temple owners are disinherited, but I thought only females could own temples? Maybe it's both genders.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Am I the only one of feels like the Norse portraits, unit pack and music pack should be included in the expansion that adds stuff related to well.. Vikings/Scandinavia.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Qwo posted:

Temple owners are disinherited, but I thought only females could own temples? Maybe it's both genders.

Males can own temples.

Can someone confirm that having a female seer breaks all the seer events? Someone earlier mentioned that they were all male_only or something.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey I bought Sunset Invasion because I wanted to play as an Aztec with TOG, except whenever they invade they just land a large army in Spain and nothing happens. They don't even declare war apparently, so this huge army just sits there.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So... the newest Byzantine empress is muslim... that's kind of unexpected, guess it's the only smart thing to do if you've studied the whole Abbasid situation.

..And the Abbasid Caliph just declared war to subjugate Greece... I guess that's that for the Roman Empire

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm guessing they stuck you with Gavalkind because otherwise you'd very quickly wind up with several doomfleets of longships taking turns to pillage the med.

L0VE
May 3, 2010
If you want to get your authority up without cheating as a pagan I found a few tricks which helped me.
For example, you can increase it by +1 just by taking a raiding party and sieging down a church or temple holding (I suggest Rome).

Another +1, if you can spare the cash, is to construct a temple holding, doesn't even have to be in your own county.
Combine this with some conquests for +3 and joining Prepared Invasions to make sure they don't fail I think getting up to 50% is hard, but doable.

Meanwhile in my current game Byzantium is making sure everyone is aware of the fact that the schism has happened!

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
Newbie question: I have a Duke with a claim on the Kingdom of England, if I press it and win does he remain my vassal or does he become the independent King of England? If he becomes independent what happens to the duchy he already controls?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Sheep posted:

Males can own temples.

Can someone confirm that having a female seer breaks all the seer events? Someone earlier mentioned that they were all male_only or something.

Yeah, it does. All events related to the seer/lord spiritual job have male_only as a prerequisite. Not a problem before TOG since only men could have that job. To fix it you just have to open "job_lord_spiritual.txt" in the events folder and delete all instances of "men_only." You can check it yourself by appointing a female seer and hovering over the proselytize button. The tooltip should show yearly chance of converting a province and that other event if it's working.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I feel like focusing on genetic traits, like with the ruler creator, is such a crap shoot as to almost be not worth it. Especially as a Norse who can only marry non-heathens.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Smirr posted:

Open the savegame you want to modify in a text editor (the savegame is in My Documents, and using Notepad++ is advisable for Paradox savegame editing/modding). The religions are towards the end of the save file. If you do a search for "norse_pagan=", there should only be one hit and that's the block you want to modify. It should look like this:

code:
	norse_pagan=
	{
		parent="noreligion"
		reformed="norse_pagan_reformed"
		authority=
		{
			modifier="lost_holy_war"
			date="977.6.29"
		}
		authority=
		{
			modifier="looted_infidel_temple"
			date="967.5.27"
		}
 [and so on...]
	}
It doesn't tell you what % authority is at, so take note of what it is in-game. What I did then was to simply repeat this modifier, from a war I had actually won, 11 times (I was 11 points short and it's worth one point each):

code:
		authority=
		{
			modifier="won_county_conquest"
			date="975.3.29"
		}
I used the same date for all 11 wars that I "won". The game doesn't seem to care. Although you might want to take care that you follow the chronological order of newer events towards the top - I'm not sure if that makes a difference. When I loaded that save I had 50% authority. There might be better ways of doing this (e.g. using a modifier that gives you more than one point so you don't have to c&p as often), but if it works it works.

Thanks man. Somehow, I managed to do it without cheating. Burned a lot of churches. The fate of the reformed Norse faith is looking pretty good right now. Norway has been united under my rule and my first son and heir is betrothed to the infant queen of Denmark. Brilliant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

:black101:

Every succession has been a huge struggle as half my vassals try to secede while my brothers stab me in my back, but I persevered and now I have a huge, unstoppable Viking Empire.

Reforming pagan religions has an interesting aspect to it: not all of your vassals and provinces reform, some stay as "Old Norse" heresy. I was lucky enough to have all my most powerful vassals convert automatically by this event or be diplo-converted, so I'm not facing a civil war with Old Believers, but others may not be so fortunate.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Solarflare posted:

How exactly does one declare a Great Holy War as a Norseman? I'm the Fylkir of the reformed religion and it's currently sitting at 97.5 moral authority.

Didn't see this answered and I have the same question

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Tell me a good one county duke to start off with Ruler Designer? (assuming counts don't get good tech points)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Belasarius posted:

Tell me a good one county duke to start off with Ruler Designer? (assuming counts don't get good tech points)

They don't get any.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?

Blitz7x posted:

Go to a different religion ruler, in the diplomacy screen there is a prepare invasion button.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

iLurk posted:

Go to a different religion ruler, in the diplomacy screen there is a prepare invasion button.

Great Holy Wars and Prepared Invasions are the same thing?

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Great Holy Wars and Prepared Invasions are the same thing?

I believe so, one you reform.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Are great Holy Wars limited by realm size?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In vanilla do you no longer get prestige from winning a war? How am I supposed to rub my victory in my enemy's face without any prestige? And how am I supposed to become "the Great" now?

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Are great Holy Wars limited by realm size?

Sadly yes. You need to have less then 40 holdings. Really annoyed me when I formed the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden and I couldn't invade Germany.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Its not just being advertised, it full on says "Now Available for Purchase" on the main menu.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Blitz7x posted:

A quick glance at the 00_cb_types.txt file tells me that Great Holy Wars are only unlocked at 1100 AD.

code:
			OR = {
				AND = { 
					religion_group = pagan_group
					year = 1100
				}
				AND = { 
					religion_group = christian
					year = 1090
				}
				AND = {
					religion = sunni 
					year = 1187 # Allow if the Caliphate has survived this long
				}
				AND = {
					religion = shiite 
					year = 1187 # Allow if the Caliphate has survived this long
				}

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Wait, so Great Holy Wars are just a date thing, rather than a realm size thing? Because how the hell would you expect to reform the religion with <40 realm holdings.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I think Great Holy Wars are seperate from Prepared Invasions. I'm not sure that Great Holy Wars (or any of the Crusade equivalents) have a realm size component (though I've never actually seen a successful one so I don't know >__>)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, adjacencies.csv has been broken for a while in eu3. You should be able to get it work by using 'replace = map' and copying the entire vanilla map tree including cache over, and then overwriting just the bits you've changed. I was hoping that if I bitched about it enough in the eu3 bug forum it would get fixed, but it sounds like it is an issue with the engine as a whole instead of just an eu3 bug. For any Paradox guys, it was introduced with EU3:DW, and was not a bug in EU3:HTTT.

Nope, still crashes. I've tried different things with the cache too, and it still crashes at the end of the naval pathing.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Are the West African Pagans incapable of doing planned invasions? Because I can't seem to find the button on the diplomacy screen. All I can do is one county conquests that I can't even fathom to win with the doomstacks these Muslims are throwing at me. :negative:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
After I got done kicking Ostlandet's butt and forming Norway, I checked in on how Hungary was doing in 895... Why hello there, Arpad I. :getin:

Wait, what's wrong with your borders. Also, Lotharingia, nooooo. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I've seen it asked a couple of times in the thread, and I'm really keen for this as well.

Can someone confirm that you can play Aztecs with TOG? How does one go about it, and, if anyone's tried it, how does it compare to the rest of the TOG experience?

• Locked thread