Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Elliot only seems better in the past two episodes really, which is made extra easy by Junior acting like a colossal jackass. Glad to see Edgar get the boat for blues. Hope it works out for him! That poor greenhorn though. Where did they find that guy?! Also, did they ever mention who replaced Jake Harris on deck? They said they still have five on deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Something I never noticed before: close your eyes when Edgar's talking and see if you can distinguish his voice from Sig's.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Madurai posted:

Something I never noticed before: close your eyes when Edgar's talking and see if you can distinguish his voice from Sig's.

Is it yelling? Then it is Sig.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hate that song but the trailer for North America looked pretty awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This earthquake myth sure did take a lot of time to set up. Its always pretty crazy how much set up time some experiments take for how quickly they're able to destroy them. Kind of like the Lego ball.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I hate that song but the trailer for North America looked pretty awesome.

Makes me wish Marty Stouffer still made his show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was thinking about the earthquake myth and wondering if they actually filmed those bits out of order. Mostly because the to-code building only took a day to build and set up while the concrete one had to wait three weeks for it to be ready. Also because they broke their earthquake machine during the concrete house bit and never mentioned having to fix it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

muscles like this? posted:

I was thinking about the earthquake myth and wondering if they actually filmed those bits out of order. Mostly because the to-code building only took a day to build and set up while the concrete one had to wait three weeks for it to be ready. Also because they broke their earthquake machine during the concrete house bit and never mentioned having to fix it.

I think they just blew one of the airbags, which wouldn't have been a big deal to replace.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I hated when they said the flying guillotine wasn't plausible in combat, because after an entire day or whatever of practice, they couldn't hit a moving target on a regular basis. Because it's not like a soldier or fighter trains for years and years to get proficient with their weapons. Jerks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wasn't the To Code house test kind of completely unfair because it was not a house but rather a small, compact wood shed? I'd imagine a much larger structure would handle the stress of being shook pretty differently.

In other news, Big Brain Theory is growing on me, even though I felt like whoever edited this episode was obsessed with scrubbing the footage back and forth to the tune of generic electronic music.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Wasn't the To Code house test kind of completely unfair because it was not a house but rather a small, compact wood shed? I'd imagine a much larger structure would handle the stress of being shook pretty differently.

I found myself wondering what would happen if you were standing in an indoor doorframe without an actual door, like one leading into a hallway? That build definitely didn't address a lot of things that would be different about a full-sized house.

And I'm curious to know whether Dyson Airblades fare any better than conventional hand dryers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I was thinking the same thing about the air blades, but I figured either way it is kind of shooting the water off of you and that it probably would only be marginally cleaner at best.

All I know is that I am now completely freaked out about all the bathrooms I have been in with NO SOAP and NO TISSUES. :gonk:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
What the utter gently caress is this Zombie Preppers poo poo.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Capn Beeb posted:

When you are this hard up for programming it does not make sense to add more channels.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've only watch one episode of Big Brain Theory but really liked it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Capn Beeb posted:

I don't know, but it sounds possibly less sad than the Doomsday Preppers, unless the people on it are actually seriously afraid of a zombie apocalypse and not just bullshitting, which, well, Discovery in 2013, who knows?

ToastyPotato posted:

They seemed to put very little effort in the Deadliest Catch myths. The overboard myth was so bad because Discovery has plenty of footage of people getting caught in the bite, since it happens at least once per season. Didn't the proto-season of DC even have someone get thrown overboard on camera?

It sure did. For as few major injuries as we see on the featured boats, it is still a stupid dangerous job. The boats we watch are obviously kind of a cut above, even the death trap that is The Wizard. The ones we don't see, I would not be surprised if there's a communal meth pipe/giant ziplock of oxy in the changing room just off deck.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

wormil posted:

I've only watch one episode of Big Brain Theory but really liked it.

I didn't even know this show existed. I just watched all 3 episodes on the website and it is pretty awesome. I love the premise just wish they could do something like "make it actually work" and show that because so far (the challenges are tough I'll give you that) they have failed on everything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Capn Beeb posted:

I had originally read the post as "zombie preppies" and was confused as gently caress.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So tomorrow some kind of Monster Week is starting. Sounds like it starts Monday with a River Monsters kickoff (preview closeups make it look like a stingray but it could just be editing), then something about Loch Ness, then some sort of sequel to that stupid loving "Mermaids" mockumentary that nobody liked. loving hell Animal Planet.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 20, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Why do they keep replaying it? Are they purposely trying to mock someone in the office? It was poor and nobody liked it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Re: Zombie Preppers, is that the show with 3 guys who build a shipping container fort? If so, I thought it was fairly humorous.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well Scott Campbell has sure turned out to be a cock :stare:

And Jake Anderson is going insane.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crazy Ted posted:

And Jake Anderson is going insane.

You would too if you were stuck on a crab boat with all the poo poo that's happened to him over the years.

Also Junior's a dick. I can't believe Elliot looks like the reasonable one here.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Luigi Thirty posted:

You would too if you were stuck on a crab boat with all the poo poo that's happened to him over the years.

Also Junior's a dick. I can't believe Elliot looks like the reasonable one here.

Yeah, I'm actually starting to sympathize with Elliot.

Also, didn't Bill pick up on Elliot and Junior's spat from a few episodes ago on the radio? I'm picturing all of the other captains just listening to this latest tiff and laughing their asses off

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meowbot posted:

I didn't even know this show existed. I just watched all 3 episodes on the website and it is pretty awesome. I love the premise just wish they could do something like "make it actually work" and show that because so far (the challenges are tough I'll give you that) they have failed on everything.

It's dumb to not test the machines once they are set up and before the contest.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Yeah, I'm actually starting to sympathize with Elliot.

Also, didn't Bill pick up on Elliot and Junior's spat from a few episodes ago on the radio? I'm picturing all of the other captains just listening to this latest tiff and laughing their asses off

Well they also showed Keith getting burned by Junior at the beginning of the season so that's one guy who's probably sympathizing with Elliot.

They really are showing Junior to be an rear end in a top hat though, it's probably something all the Captain's do (not giving up your location when you are on the crab) but Junior just comes off as so smug about lying it's hard to like him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who cares now that the derby system is gone? Work together and you both get home faster.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

Well they also showed Keith getting burned by Junior at the beginning of the season so that's one guy who's probably sympathizing with Elliot.

They really are showing Junior to be an rear end in a top hat though, it's probably something all the Captain's do (not giving up your location when you are on the crab) but Junior just comes off as so smug about lying it's hard to like him.

It seems worse with him because he actively asks for and accepts other people's help and then refuses to help them as soon as possible.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
This Indy Car episode is kinda okay but next they re-air mother loving DUCT TAPE ISLAND, aka the best Mythbusters episode of all time. Jamie feels so bad for killing that pretty fish, and Adam, it turns out, kicks rear end at surviving in the wild.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's shows like the IndyCar special that make me feel jealous. Okay they're going to test IndyC WHAT THEY GET TO DRIVE THEM NO loving FAIR

Also, drat Grant is skinny.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 23, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just heard the greatest quote from Random Acts of Science: "When you get science and stupidity in the same place, they are a match made in heaven."

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Elliot is actually coming off as a better person then Junior this year. When his Dad lost the pot over the side he seemed pretty genuine that a $1500 loss meant nothing over the poo poo his dad put up with him when he was younger.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Geekslinger posted:

Elliot is actually coming off as a better person then Junior this year. When his Dad lost the pot over the side he seemed pretty genuine that a $1500 loss meant nothing over the poo poo his dad put up with him when he was younger.

yeah i think that scene really solidified a change in Elliot for me. I expected at least a snarky remark.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Well he did kind of go off at first, talking about how much it costs and that it was all new, etc. But then he calmed himself down and reasoned that it didn't matter in the grand scheme, especially after what his father has done for him. It was interesting to see that change though. We haven't seen too many lost pots in the show, and when they do happen most of the captains don't care too much, it was nice seeing Elliot reach that level.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jake is taking a huge risk leaving the boat for something that is not a sure thing. Northwesterners make a nice amount of money per season.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 30, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This "Outrageous Acts of Science" is such a garbage show. From the couple episodes I've seen its basically "funny internet videos" with scientists commenting on them. But not really doing a lot of science per se.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Finally caught up to Deadliest Catch episodes. What twilight zone am I in where Elliot is a better person than Junior?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
so i haven't watched mythbusters in awhile but I am stuck in a hotel room so what the hell right? uhhhh wow they are running out of ideas.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Koirhor posted:

so i haven't watched mythbusters in awhile but I am stuck in a hotel room so what the hell right? uhhhh wow they are running out of ideas.

They have been for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

TaurusOxford posted:

Finally caught up to Deadliest Catch episodes. What twilight zone am I in where Elliot is a better person than Junior?

Yeah, Elliot has really turned himself around. It's almost like two different guys when you look back.

It's gonna be weird seeing the northwestern without Jake. Those clips of him when he joined up were shocking. That was only a few years ago and he looks a decade older.

• Locked thread