Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Elec posted:

Twelve by Pies: I had no idea about breaking rods until just now!

It's kind of a pain because you can't just use it as an item flat out, you have to equip it and then use it as an item. Since I'm running Freelancers, my characters usually have other weapons equipped for random battles, so having to go and equip rods in boss fights is slightly annoying. I guess they did that so non-magic classes can't just break rods at will though (otherwise Byblos wouldn't be such a roadblock in FJF).

As far as wall bosses go, I've never had trouble with any storyline bosses, but I've never been able to beat Omega Weapon in FF8 because the second Holy War wore off he'd do his ultimate attack and wipe my party. Likewise, I just cannot beat Ozma no matter how hard I try in FF9. I've read the guides, I've done the friendly animals quest, I equip shadow-absorbing stuff, but he still wastes me in a couple of turns no matter what I try. Maybe I just have really lovely luck with the RNG for him to always pick attacks that there's no real way to defend against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cait Sith was handled really weirdly yeah. I remember his death scene being kind of moving, but then you realize he's a puppet so he's not actually dead (To be fair it was hard to tell back then). THEN he pops up with a second puppet and it's like... this is dumb.

Also I looked up the stuff on his identity and don't remember half of it despite replaying the game 3 years ago.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
I didn't want to clutter the Fiesta thread with this, but, man, this FFV Ancient Cave hack (latest English patch) ate a large portion of my free time today. My current game is paused, but I'm on floor 15 and haven't gotten a job since floor 1. And that was Berserker. Since you don't actually start with the Bare/Freelancer job available, two of my dudes are stuck berserking. :iia:

I have, like, 10 Leather Shields. The RNG is cruel.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The "death" of Cait Sith that is overly dramatic yet very quickly and anti-climatically undone is meant to contrast with the sudden, and quite permanent death that happens later.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Potato Jones posted:

I didn't want to clutter the Fiesta thread with this, but, man, this FFV Ancient Cave hack (latest English patch) ate a large portion of my free time today. My current game is paused, but I'm on floor 15 and haven't gotten a job since floor 1. And that was Berserker. Since you don't actually start with the Bare/Freelancer job available, two of my dudes are stuck berserking. :iia:

I have, like, 10 Leather Shields. The RNG is cruel.

The Ancient Cave hack is really a lot of fun, but I think it hurts the replay value a good bit that you generally have everything available well before the end (though to be fair you probably need it for what they're putting you up against). Well, that and the fact that it takes a long time to play through for a roguelike-style design. It's a shame because the earlier part where you're struggling to cobble together a team is great.

I may get back into it if I want more FF5 after I finish my Fiesta run this year.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Likewise, I just cannot beat Ozma no matter how hard I try in FF9. I've read the guides, I've done the friendly animals quest, I equip shadow-absorbing stuff, but he still wastes me in a couple of turns no matter what I try. Maybe I just have really lovely luck with the RNG for him to always pick attacks that there's no real way to defend against.

He should only get two attacks: opener and then follow-up. Set your ATB to wait and only input commands when Ozma's spells are animating.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elec posted:

Having recently played through some FFs and some for the first time up to 9 recently, what were some of your "walls" in each of the games? This of course includes real walls that are also metaphorical walls, like the ones in 4 and 7 that can trip some up for awhile. When I was younger playing 6 for the first time I remember being stuck on Magic Master for a few tries.
Other than that, the Thunder Gigas in 2 and Garuda in 3 are particularly brutal, I think. Even with the "correct" setup against Garuda I had to try several times.
My first time through 5 I think almost every boss was a wall, at least until I finally really understood jobs.

Twelve by Pies: I had no idea about breaking rods until just now!

Yeah, the Magic Master is kind of a dick move, and I almost feel like his scripting is messed up. He seems like a perfect example of a boss you should be able to use Libra on to find his shifting weakness, but casting Libra causes him to Barrier Change. So your only options are to blindly guess his weakness, get rare non-elemental spells on everyone, or Berserk him. Then there's the total party wipe spell at the end of a long battle with no warning and very limited options to avoid it. Plus the fact that the tower itself is a long boring slog with no save point. Then you have to walk back down because Teleport is disabled. If you wanted to figure that dungeon out on your own, it would be so unbelievably frustrating.

Man, the Fanatic's Tower sucks. Thank god for Mog.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Great Lakes Log posted:

Playing through FFVII now for the first time and I still can't recall dying too much (if at all) on any bosses.

I died so much to Lost Number as a kid that I still have an irrational hatred for Shinra Manor to this day.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Modoh posted:

The Ancient Cave hack is really a lot of fun, but I think it hurts the replay value a good bit that you generally have everything available well before the end (though to be fair you probably need it for what they're putting you up against). Well, that and the fact that it takes a long time to play through for a roguelike-style design. It's a shame because the earlier part where you're struggling to cobble together a team is great.

I may get back into it if I want more FF5 after I finish my Fiesta run this year.

I've played it a three or four times and it really loses its allure about 30 to 40 floors in, where you've gotten a solid selection of jobs and equipment and found some way to heal without items. Then after another 30 floors you run into a huge roadblock that unexpectedly wipes your party. Oh well!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Vanderdeath posted:

I died so much to Lost Number as a kid that I still have an irrational hatred for Shinra Manor to this day.

Any time I replay 7 I always go for "easy mode". After finishing up the golden saucer prison bit the area outside has some enemies that hit hard that I sit around and grind limit breaks on till about 30, then junon alarm to 40. You're now basically poised to walk over the rest of the game normally, not to mention you'll likely have all your materia to that point at 3 or mastered.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vanderdeath posted:

Lost Number was never really a roadblock for me. Weirdly, my first time through the game (when he would've been), I missed Lost Number and Wutai completely, but then got hopelessly stuck at Schizo. I rage-restarted at that point and Lost Number was pretty much a breeze (though Wutai was still the worst).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

As far as wall bosses go, I've never had trouble with any storyline bosses, but I've never been able to beat Omega Weapon in FF8 because the second Holy War wore off he'd do his ultimate attack and wipe my party.

Omega Weapon always attacks in a set pattern (though he'll throw the occasional random physical attack in between moves, sometimes):

Level 5 Death
Meteor
Megido Flame (9998 to all)
Gravija (75% current HP to all, can't kill)
Terra Break (bunch of randomly-targeted, Vit-ignoring, strong physical hits)
Ultima
Light Pillar (9999 to one)
Repeat from Meteor

Go in with 9999 max HP and Death on ST-Def. Have good junctions otherwise, of course. Concentrate entirely on dishing out damage (Meltdown him, Aura Stone everyone, spam limits, reapply Aura Stones when it wears off - the usual), except:

- after Meteor: heal to full so Megido Flame leaves you at 1/9999 rather than dead.
- after Gravija: use Defend, low-compatibility GF shields, or (if you're feeling super cheap) invincibility, to pre-emptively block damage from Terra Break. Inferior but viable alternative: heal to full and make sure everyone has Protect.
- after Terra Break: do any necessary reviving (and reapplying Aura Stone) and healing. With any luck, you won't have to do much of anything.
- after Light Pillar: revive and re-Aura Stone whoever just died.

Terra Break's the only really threatening part, and possibly the random physical attack may kill someone (if so, just revive and re-Aura) depending on its timing.

And a very viable alternative method to dealing with Terra Break is this: kill him before he uses it. Given FF8's damage output mechanics, this is not terribly difficult unless you're deliberately applying some restriction to yourself like "don't use limits" or "only use low-damage characters".

Alternative to all of that: you can rely on invincibility, but it works a lot better if you used staggered-timing Heroes rather than Holy Wars. That way, even if invincibility does wear off at an inopportune moment, it's only done that for one person rather than the whole party.

Vil fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 30, 2013

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I remember when my sister used to play FFX. She completed the Monster Arena, got every legendary weapon, maxed the sphere grid for each character, and had a total of about 150 hours of game time. She had Yuna and Lulu physically hitting for 99999 damage.

As for Omega in FF8, I used pretty much the same strategy for every boss: spam Lionheart. Battle's over in a matter of minutes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I've played it a three or four times and it really loses its allure about 30 to 40 floors in, where you've gotten a solid selection of jobs and equipment and found some way to heal without items. Then after another 30 floors you run into a huge roadblock that unexpectedly wipes your party. Oh well!

I remember my first time playing it, making really great progress until I ran into one of the enemies from the magic side of Fork Tower that wiped my party with Meteor because I didn't realize who it was. Meh. In a current run, I've burned through all my Phoenix Downs thanks to those loving SkullEaters with no way to revive anybody, with one person already dead, so that should be interesting to tackle. Hopefully I'll run into a shop soon so I can spend tons of money on Phoenix Downs.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nickname Pending posted:

I remember when my sister used to play FFX. She completed the Monster Arena, got every legendary weapon, maxed the sphere grid for each character, and had a total of about 150 hours of game time. She had Yuna and Lulu physically hitting for 99999 damage.

As for Omega in FF8, I used pretty much the same strategy for every boss: spam Lionheart. Battle's over in a matter of minutes.

Having Yuna and Lulu hit for 99999 damage is probably easier than getting Auron to do the same because of Masamune's dumb "less hp = more damage" gimmick which meant that he actually dealt reduced damage when at full hp.

Although I rarely can be bothered to max everything in games, I did the same thing. Sure, one could just use Yojimbo to defeat the Dark Aeons and Penance but Zanmato is for wussies. :colbert:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also, Yuna and Lulu's weapons have a "high MP = more damage" instead of "high HP = more damage" on top of an "everything costs 1 MP" ability, so unless you're fighting something that can directly lower your MP, they'll generally always be getting their damage boost. (Unlike Auron, who needs to be half dead, or the others, who suffer from being half dead.)

Not to mention Yuna (although very definitely not Lulu) has a nice fast attack animation too. Back when I fought the dark aeons, Yuna was my main damage dealer (because I was too lazy to farm more Fortune Spheres after finishing with her).

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I believe Auron was hitting full damage at full health.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

He can, yes, but he needs more strength to reach that point than the others do (not a terribly huge issue) and against some particularly high-defense enemies, he'll be doing less than max damage while the others won't. Unless you also grind up his luck so he's critting all the time.

It's not so much that his damage potential is bad as it is that the others' is better. Though really, overdrive selection matters more at that point (which, unfortunately, is also not doing Auron any favors). For most of the game, of course, he's the king of hard-hitting physical damage, and in many ways that's a lot more important and useful.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Having Yuna and Lulu hit for 99999 damage is probably easier than getting Auron to do the same because of Masamune's dumb "less hp = more damage" gimmick which meant that he actually dealt reduced damage when at full hp.

Hey, that gimmick makes it easy to get to the levels you need for the monster arena. Low-HP Masamune + Quick Hit means you should be able to kill One-Eye before it gets a turn. Farming One-Eye gets you lots of Triple AP weapons, which sell for more than the cost of the fight. It also saves you a step on forging Triple AP + Overdrive->AP + Triple Overdrive weapons for Don Tonberry.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, the Magic Master is kind of a dick move, and I almost feel like his scripting is messed up. He seems like a perfect example of a boss you should be able to use Libra on to find his shifting weakness, but casting Libra causes him to Barrier Change. So your only options are to blindly guess his weakness, get rare non-elemental spells on everyone, or Berserk him. Then there's the total party wipe spell at the end of a long battle with no warning and very limited options to avoid it. Plus the fact that the tower itself is a long boring slog with no save point. Then you have to walk back down because Teleport is disabled. If you wanted to figure that dungeon out on your own, it would be so unbelievably frustrating.

Man, the Fanatic's Tower sucks. Thank god for Mog.

I still don't understand where or how the gently caress you're supposed to figure out the Air Anchor's location without a guide of some kind. It's a literal "stand in a specific location and press A, now backtrack to a room you don't really have any reason to check again."

Plus the drat thing wasn't even that good. Being able to maybe insta-kill an enemy when you can likely drop them that quickly already with attacks or drill/chainsaw is dumb.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I still don't understand where or how the gently caress you're supposed to figure out the Air Anchor's location without a guide of some kind. It's a literal "stand in a specific location and press A, now backtrack to a room you don't really have any reason to check again."

Plus the drat thing wasn't even that good. Being able to maybe insta-kill an enemy when you can likely drop them that quickly already with attacks or drill/chainsaw is dumb.

That one is more of an easter egg, the way most people got it before Gamefaqs was in the coliseum.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Papercut posted:

That one is more of an easter egg, the way most people got it before Gamefaqs was in the coliseum.

Or checking the strategy guide Nintendo Power put out for FFVI.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wait, there's a way to get that before the coliseum?

I thought I knew everything about 6... :saddowns:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or, ya know, you could talk to the thieves in Maranda, one of whom mentions the tower of Kefka's followers, one of whom mentions turning back after the first treasure room, and one of whom mentions "to the right of the treasure chest". It's still not 100% crystal clear but it gives you enough hints to narrow down what and where to try.

Once you click the right spot it's really intuitive: you hear a sound effect, nothing visible happens in the room you're in, but once you understandably give up on searching that room and step outside, lo and behold there's another door there now.

I actually figured that one out on my own without the aid of the internet. Now, mind you, there were a number of things I had to find out from outside information, like the Moogle Charm, or the notion of waiting for Shadow rather than OMG THERE'S A TIMER WHY WOULD YOU WAIT, JUMP. (That one, in hindsight, was very dumb of my teenage self not to figure out.) But the Air Anchor in the Fanatics' Tower wasn't one of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like I found a way to break the FFVAC hack and master all jobs I have available while consuming few to no resources and building up a stock of phoenix downs and other items. I learned !lance and picked up a couple mage jobs before the no timer map with Garula, Siren, WingRaptor and Karlabos+CrayClaw random encounters and now I can win them all without consuming any items other than the occasional phoenix down when that last one doesn't go quite right. Summoners are busting out !lance for more than their max hp and more importantly more than CrayClaw can hit them for from the back row. I don't get any xp or gil but 5-10 ap per fight with no timer is pretty drat nice.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So I've registered to the FFV fiesta and I've never played 5. Is there a website that will randomly assign me classes as a challenge so I could at least warm up a bit on how the game plays?

E: ah sorry i didn't know there was it's own thread.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 1, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dizz posted:

So I've registered to the FFV fiesta and I've never played 5. Is there a website that will randomly assign me classes as a challenge so I could at least warm up a bit on how the game plays?
There's only six classes per crystal, right? You can just go to random.org, and get a number between 1 and 6.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dizz posted:

The Fiesta has its own thread this year, so we don't clog up the megathread.

A guy there posted a spreadsheet that will generate you a team, apparently.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So the Gilgamesh battle on the Big Bridge is actually fairly difficult if you're doing a Freelancer only run, especially if Gilgamesh decides to get Jump-happy.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

So the Gilgamesh battle on the Big Bridge is actually fairly difficult if you're doing a Freelancer only run, especially if Gilgamesh decides to get Jump-happy.

Use the Mage Masher to smack him with Silence just before you get him to half HP. Gilgamesh without Haste, Protect, and Shell is a lot less threatening.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Also slam Blind on him from the Darkness Bow.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Been considering trying to run through the FF3 remake again, but I'm wondering whether the mobile or PSP version is considered definitive? Or are they both equal in terms of content?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm not sure of the PSP game, but the DS one was rebalanced by FFXI's sadistic developer. I've heard people recommend the NES game over it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm not sure of the PSP game, but the DS one was rebalanced by FFXI's sadistic developer. I've heard people recommend the NES game over it.

The PSP, iOS and Android versions are just ports of the crappy DS remake.

Get the NES version.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If I ever decide to replay the NES version, I'll be sure to do that, but right now I'm asking about the remake! I played the DS version when it came out and it kicked my rear end, and now I want revenge.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

Been considering trying to run through the FF3 remake again, but I'm wondering whether the mobile or PSP version is considered definitive? Or are they both equal in terms of content?

To my knowledge, they're equal. The PSP and mobile versions are the same as the DS version, except they removed the player-to-player streetpass stuff and added it elsewhere in the game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Am I the only one who thinks the NES version of FF3 is agressively harder and less fun than the remake?

Honestly I thought the remake was still pretty easy (excepting Garuda, gently caress that thing), despite being harder than most games in the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the NES version of FF3 is agressively harder and less fun than the remake?

Honestly I thought the remake was still pretty easy (excepting Garuda, gently caress that thing), despite being harder than most games in the series.

The NES version of anything is probably aggressively harder and less fun than the remakes, so I doubt yours is a minority opinion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oxxidation posted:

The NES version of anything is probably aggressively harder and less fun than the remakes, so I doubt yours is a minority opinion.

...No, the DS version of FF3 is pretty demonstrably harder than the NES version. A lot of the ways that it's harder/more annoying are dumb and not present in the NES version, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

...No, the DS version of FF3 is pretty demonstrably harder than the NES version. A lot of the ways that it's harder/more annoying are dumb and not present in the NES version, either.

Hey, lets make it so the new classes aren't straight stat upgrades and skill upgrades but keep the enemy strength curve intact as though they were.

Hrm, that feels really overpowered still. I bet players will just destroy bosses so we should give bosses twice as many turns. Who cares if a boss has a party-wide attack? I'm sure it doesn't deal much damage.