Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

Does anyone know how to make a sends kill switch in Ableton? I'm working on something with a crazy long reverb and it's annoying waiting for it to fade out to start monitoring the track again.

Map a control to toggle the track activator (the big yellow button on the channel strip) of the return bus?

Choking the send knob won't do any good if the big reverb tail is already doing its thing.

vvvv that too

h_double fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I think if you hit the stop button multiple times it will kill everything currently going

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I've had an idea for a new ML thread that I want to gauge interest for:

Basically it's a bi-weekly friendly competition where people write/produce/record music all drawing from a single inspiration source, in this case a photograph that I would post in the OP of each competition thread. The way it would work is I would open a separate thread for each competition and include the source photo and the day and time when submissions were due to be posted (I was thinking 10 days after posting the thread)then there would be a few day period where anyone can vote on the best submission after that day, presumably based on how good the music is and how it relates to the source photo. The only rule for the music would be a time limit (I was thinking like 1:30). I don't have a prize planned as of yet but I could probably put something together, especially if there is a lot of participation. It's similar to the photo competition in the photography sub-forum where everyone produces a photograph based on a single word or phrase. I always thought it would be a cool exercise to try to write music based on a photo and this seems like a cool way to do that plus give people a reason to make some music.

Would anyone be interested in participating in something like this?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm bad at making music, but this might be a fun way to get better at it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Thoogsby posted:

Basically it's a bi-weekly friendly competition where people write/produce/record music all drawing from a single inspiration source, in this case a photograph that I would post in the OP of each competition thread. The way it would work is I would open a separate thread for each competition and include the source photo and the day and time when submissions were due to be posted (I was thinking 10 days after posting the thread)then there would be a few day period where anyone can vote on the best submission after that day, presumably based on how good the music is and how it relates to the source photo. The only rule for the music would be a time limit (I was thinking like 1:30). I don't have a prize planned as of yet but I could probably put something together, especially if there is a lot of participation. It's similar to the photo competition in the photography sub-forum where everyone produces a photograph based on a single word or phrase. I always thought it would be a cool exercise to try to write music based on a photo and this seems like a cool way to do that plus give people a reason to make some music.

I'm interested, but I don't know if I can commit to participating given other things I have going on. But this appeals to me, possibly for stranger reasons than you intended (which have more to do with the music tinkering I'm doing lately, which also involves images).

My $0.02 is you should make it a solid 14 calendar days instead of 10. Start on a Monday (at 12:00 AM/0000) and roll through to the second Sunday after (up to 11:59 PM/2359); gives people two solid weekends if the weeks get busy (or vice versa). Pick a time zone of your choosing. Accept votes for three days(?), Monday to Wednesday. Announce winners on Thursday or Friday or whenever (maybe give yourself some time to tally up the votes and just drop the winner during the announcement of the next contest on the following Monday?)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Poizen Jam posted:

So NuDisco stuff is kind of fun. Wasn't set on the Daft Punk vocals but I felt the track was lacking without some vocal sample, especially to compliment the female vocal chops.

I had to quote this from a page or two ago to tell you I have been grooving to this a lot. Excellent work sir. I would love to know how you cut up vocal samples like that.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

MrSargent posted:

I had to quote this from a page or two ago to tell you I have been grooving to this a lot. Excellent work sir. I would love to know how you cut up vocal samples like that.

Thanks! I mentioned it last page, but that link is dead- new link is Here- I've since dropped it to 120bpm and altered the vocal sample a bit to give the arpeggios a bit more room to breath in the mix.

I wish I could claim credit for creating the cool rear end vocal chops from scratch, but I basically just edited and chopped some vox samples I had on hand, and threw some effects on em.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
So I arranged this today and my friend helped with mixing, it's the only thing I've ever made that I think could really be a quality song if I work on it. I use samples because I just suck and can't make my own sounds but don't hate just think of it as me making music how I would if I could!

Anyways, it's a deep house track let me know what you guys think.
https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/unnamed-wip

e: link is down for now but I'll re-edit when I upload a new version.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 5, 2013

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
New track out

First release of the summer... not much else to say?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Forgot to post this here, but the aforementioned Photo -> Music competition is open and ongoing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552193

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

New track out

First release of the summer... not much else to say?

good stuff

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Thoogsby posted:

I like this. I could use the thematic focus and arbitrary deadline to make me buckle down and commit to a quick sketch, rather than fiddling endlessly and aimlessly.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/my-brain-melting-out-of-my

I couldn't sleep so here's a track about insomnia. or something.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's something new from me:

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-manatee

Enjoy! :)

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
So here's a witch house/darkwave/hip-hop/whatever song:

https://soundcloud.com/ozongon/y-g-ng

Can anyone give me some tips? On anything, really. Especially mixing.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Cobweb Heart posted:

So here's a witch house/darkwave/hip-hop/whatever song:

https://soundcloud.com/ozongon/y-g-ng

Can anyone give me some tips? On anything, really. Especially mixing.

I really like the overall atmosphere and the use of the main vocal sample.

Mixing-wise, I think the upper midrange is too heavy in the balance, this is especially noticable on computer speakers (when that's most of what comes through anyway), but even on a good pair of headphones it makes it a little tiring to listen to and keeps the bass from kicking as hard as it could. In particular, the "water drip" type sound, and that synthy-cowbell thing, are way louder in the mix then they need to be.

This is good poo poo, keep it up.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Here's a thing I've been beating my head against for weeks:

http://soundcloud.com/killhamster/white-whale

I'm so sick of it, so so sick of it.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you get sick of a song then immediately stop working on it. I find the longer I try to squeeze blood from the stone, the less likely I am to ever go back and finish it it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I have been working on two projects, but have no loving clue as to how to continue them. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/lights
This one is an older one and I was just experimenting with soundfonts, but I hit a dead end about a month ago and could never figure out how to build upon what is already there. I want to extend it up to three minutes at the least but cant for the life of me figure out how. I don't even know what instruments to add in.

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/does-not-compute
This one I was experimenting with different effects and filters until I liked what I heard. But now I don't know how to continue it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
One of the worst things you can do is stare at a project looping that you're stuck with. Move on, open a new one or try working on something else.

My litmus test for deciding to dig it up again is to, after a week or so - try and see if I can remember the bassline/melody/chords before opening it. If I dont, it probably wasnt very good. Sometimes I've forced them despite that, released the tracks and they always end up doing poorly on the market/scene.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

My litmus test for deciding to dig it up again is to, after a week or so - try and see if I can remember the bassline/melody/chords before opening it. If I dont, it probably wasnt very good. Sometimes I've forced them despite that, released the tracks and they always end up doing poorly on the market/scene.

Doesn't that obligate you to give songs more useful names than "test1" or "loop5" or "foo" though?

I feel bad for whoever goes through my hard drive when I die.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

xzzy posted:

Doesn't that obligate you to give songs more useful names than "test1" or "loop5" or "foo" though?

I feel bad for whoever goes through my hard drive when I die.

hahaha good point. I've become better at that, precisely for this reason.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Can anybody help me find the "Dick" and "Bed Springs" samples used in this Trippy Turtle remix https://soundcloud.com/trippy-turtle/poison-trippy-turtle-remix (and like a million other songs)? Googling things like "Dick Sample" and "Dick Drops" does not seem so productive.

If not these samples, something like them? Where does the "Dick" sound come from?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'm working on some Jersey Club remixes of Chinese pop songs... Here's the first try.

http://snd.sc/120e1Le

What should I do to make this sound better? Claps too loud? Bass kick ok? Hi hats alright?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I have been trying to create simple drum beats to use as a starting point for any new projects, since I am no good at coming up with something on purpose. My current desire is to make electronic sounding music.

My problem is that I don't even know how to make a drum beat from scratch. Usually I add it in later. So I tried starting with basses instead. Sadly I don't know how to do that either.

Does anyone have any advice on how to simply get started on a new project?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Like the beat itself, or the samples?

I just tap out crap on my steering wheel as I drive home from work.. usually to whatever's on the radio. You can even rock out to classical if you can find the beat.. it works well because there's not usually percussion to mess you up. Anything that survives in my head after that is usually good enough to play around with once I sit at the computer. From there I let the drum loop play while I noodle with random bass synths until something clicks.

That's when making stuff gets hard.. the first two measures of drums and bass are by far the easiest part.

If you have a smartphone, iKaossilator and Figure are pretty good sketching apps that let you experiment without imposing much structure.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

I am the M00N posted:

My problem is that I don't even know how to make a drum beat from scratch. Usually I add it in later.

Then don't make it from scratch but use a loop. Don't get too hung up on this; when all you do is drag a few loops in a project, nothing you're doing is really yours (and anyone else with minimal skill can do the same) but a bit of scaffolding to get you over the hump is no big deal.

Here's an idea; take an existing loop, and use EQ to isolate the instruments. Play it back at a lower pitch if that helps - kind of like a magnifying glass for audio. Cut away all the highs. Listen and analyze what you hear. Cut away all the lows and highs and leave the mids. Listen and analyze what you hear. And so on.

quote:

Does anyone have any advice on how to simply get started on a new project?

The fallacy is thinking that once you've got some time to do something everything will come naturally; you just need that little peace and quiet for a few hours, and open up a new file in whatever DAW you have and then everything'll happen.

It won't. You have to work for it.

Also, don't aim too high at the start. Try making something with a simple 909 kit. Get Rebirth and use that - see if with those limited instruments and options you can make something clever. So what, it doesn't slam and bring the club down. Don't care; see if you can make something clever, and run it through a variety of effects and modulate these in realtime.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I am the M00N posted:

My problem is that I don't even know how to make a drum beat from scratch.
I am absolutely incapable of making stuff on purpose myself. Which means I'll stumble around until I hit on something that sounds ok. This is absolutely a valid, though obviously not entirely efficient method.

As laserjet said, you shouldn't get hung up on doing everything from scratch. On the other hand, I find learning new stuff to be fun, most of the time. So when I start a new project, it's probably coming from the angle of trying to figure something out.

As for drum beats specifically, I find that a step sequencer is a lot less intimidating than a piano roll, as you can get a clear view of the timing intervals and just clicking randomly can get you some interesting results that lead to a better understanding of how (at least straight) beats work.

Until recently I was using StepChild for this purpose, but I just found out that there is a more elaborate version of it in StepBeater. It's a vsti step sequencer that sends midi to another vsti of your choice. I don't understand the whole probability section, but you can just ignore it. Use it with a drumsynth/sampler or make basslines in it. Record the midi output and put some swing on it. It's fun (after a bit of initial configuration that you can save in a preset).

Arpeggiators are fun as well. The free old version of Kirnu is a great one.

If you aren't the type to start out with a clear idea of what you're going to make, there's some legit inspiration to be gleaned from tools like that.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I'd really recommend ReBirth or Reason to get a handle on how sequencing works, then later move onto something more versatile like Ableton Live. Once you get a handle on how different rhythms work visually, everything will seem much easier to you.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005
I started this for one of the previous rockstars, but then exams happened and I forgot about it.

http://snd.sc/12N33k3

I had trouble getting the kick to sound full.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
A new tune. May make a couple minor alterations but it's about done yayyy I've been working on this for a few weeks now (alongside a few other projects).

https://soundcloud.com/careyb/candyfloss

Comments, criticisms and feedback very welcome.

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 15, 2013

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Would you like to space out a little? Be my guest: http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-goldbad

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

h_double posted:

I really like the overall atmosphere and the use of the main vocal sample.

Mixing-wise, I think the upper midrange is too heavy in the balance, this is especially noticable on computer speakers (when that's most of what comes through anyway), but even on a good pair of headphones it makes it a little tiring to listen to and keeps the bass from kicking as hard as it could. In particular, the "water drip" type sound, and that synthy-cowbell thing, are way louder in the mix then they need to be.

This is good poo poo, keep it up.

Thanks a ton, (wo)man! I've been mixing on some pretty crummy systems, so knowing when the entire spectrum is off-kilter is really helpful.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

wayfinder posted:

Would you like to space out a little? Be my guest: http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-goldbad

This is absolutely amazing, gives me a very solar fields feeling. Super interested in any info related to making this.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

utamaru posted:

This is absolutely amazing, gives me a very solar fields feeling. Super interested in any info related to making this.

Thank you!

Now, I don't wanna take away from my magic here, don't wanna spoil it :) But here's approximately what I did: I composed this at 1/32 the speed of what you hear, then used paulstretch to make it loooong, and filtered away much of it again, distorted the rest a little and used reverb and delay to space it out in the stereo field some more. I brought some of the original elements back in and blew up the midi to be 32 times as long, played it alongside the stretched audio (with some adjustments to the synth patches to make them fit the mood better), and added a few elements at present speed to give it more texture and structure (the bass, for example, and some cosmetic noise sweeps.)

If you would like more in the same vein, I made an album a few years ago based on some of the same techniques. I've made some improvements in the meantime, so those tracks are a little rougher around the edges, but they're still quite listenable. I often put the album on in the background while doing housework and such, I think it lends a sort of stark, dignified gravity to the mundane, and I feel more deliberate and precise listening to it: http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/sets/pristine-2009/

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

was gonna ask if that was paulstretch. paulstretch owns.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

COOLEST FEELING IN THE WORLD Having a song you wrote played on the radio. Henry Ford Community College Represent! There I am sandwiched between Afrika Bambaataa and Paul Hardcastle. A budding producer couldn't ask for better company.

Here's a soundcloud link to the actual track.
http://soundcloud.com/peter-graves-1/counterscan-izotope-5-house-eq

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

hell yeah congrats that feels really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thegalagakid posted:

COOLEST FEELING IN THE WORLD Having a song you wrote played on the radio. Henry Ford Community College Represent! There I am sandwiched between Afrika Bambaataa and Paul Hardcastle. A budding producer couldn't ask for better company.

Here's a soundcloud link to the actual track.
http://soundcloud.com/peter-graves-1/counterscan-izotope-5-house-eq

That's really awesome, congrats.

My experience of being played on the radio involved having a DJ doing a lead in to my song which made me go :shepface:

It was pretty much that DJ from "Songs for the Deaf" who goes "... and a song called Millionaire, about something they'll never be."

• Locked thread