Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Frog of War posted:

So as long as I did everything correctly that would also be Awww, a baby and Double the Fun?

Looks like you did everything correctly!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

:siren: I have a question about my conversion oath.:siren:

I did not take a picture before I converted them, but I have a picture CyberlordXP sent me when I was going to purchase the minis from him. They are the models in white primer and the Seargant in bare plastic would this count or no?

Yeah the white and bare plastic models are fine for oathing - I'm assuming you're asking specifically about the conversion competition, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah, I saw that we needed a before conversion picture for it to count so I wanted to make sure that one would work for my current oath.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
OATH COMPLETE!

This was literally the last evening in this month that I have any time to paint anything, and just as I finished taking pictures I started having computer troubles, I had to jump through so many hoops to upload these pictures :downs:

I'm using these guys as Penal Legionnaires in my Cadian army. In case anyone is interested, the Warden's head and right arm are from Hellhound commander, other parts are from Cadian HQ sprue. I'd like to enter these as a Themed group.

Detective's journal

Painting the uniforms with Kommando Khaki over Bestial Brown

My army's main colors are Kommando Khaki and Dark Angels Green, with Scorched Brown details. I wanted these guys to have a more rundown appearance and color scheme than the rest of the army, so I used more brown.

When I paint, I can't focus on too many details at once, so up until the previous picture I painted all the models at thee same time. In this picture I have painted the details one model at a time. After this I inked and based all the models simultaneously again.

Basing. I've snatched some sand from a nearby playground, I find real sand works better for basing than fake sand and is a lot cheaper. These are now also the first guys in my army to be based. Just 60 more to go :gonk:

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Oath Completed

Well the first month is down, only 11 more to go, and I even got this one done early. Next month I might get a little crazy and oath a whole squad of Guardians, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Detektuv's Journal

Just the gowns

Now some of the leathers

Some gold, the furs, and the mask

The gloves and some of the base coat on the gems

Basing added, final highlight layer on cloak, gems get their 2nd highlight

Base color on boots and base colored in

Boots get their highlights, next step finished product

I see you looking at me.

Parts list
Robes were
Base - GW Regal Blue
Midtone - GW Enchanted Blue
Highlight - Valejo Electric Blue
Wash - GW Asurman Blue

Gloves and leggings were
Base - GW Chaos Black
Midtone - GW Codex Grey
Highlight - GW skull white
Wash - GW Asurman Blue

Gems and Eyes were
Base - GW Dark Angels Green
Midtone - GW Snot Green
Highlight - GW Scorpion Green
Wash - GW Thracka Green
Topcoat - GW 'Ardcoat

Leathers were
Base - GW Scorched Brown
Midtone - GW Vomit Brown
Highlight - GW Elf Flesh
Wash - GW Ogryn Flesh

Sword was a whole mix of Valejo Royal Purple, Hexed Lichen, Warlord Purple and GW skull white (I kind of just winged it, so can't give you exacts)

Golds were GW Burnished Gold
Silvers were GW Mithril Silver

Base was a Mix of Medium Iron Ore Ballast and Coarse Iron Ore Ballast and Soft Flake Snow all by woodland scenics

I also believe I get Double The Fun! as well then.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pash posted:

I updated my Oath Complete post with a picture I took the other day with one of my oathed models In Battle!. The pictures did not all turn out great, but here is one of the better ones showing my knight with a bunch of other knights marching across the battle field.

Got it. You've extended your lead to 17 points!

Bionic Psyker posted:

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Bonuses: The Detektuv’s Jurnal, Parts List, Double the Fun!

You missed out on a point because you don't have your username in your oath complete photo. On the other hand, you painted up enough models that you can do Themed Group. Please post to let me know if you add either of these to your oath complete post.

KamNZ posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Bonuses:The Detektuv’s Jurnal, Parts List, Double the Fun!

Despite being into the game since second edition, this is the first squad of marines I've ever actually painted. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

You could do Themed Group if you want! Please post to let me know if you add that in to your complete post.

enri posted:

Leperflesh, I've edited my original post to claim the 'double the fun!' bonus point if that's ok.

If I've done it wrong, let me know and I'll fix her up asap :allears:

You're all set!

Frog of War posted:

So as long as I did everything correctly that would also be Awww, a baby and Double the Fun?

Yes!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

:siren: I have a question about my conversion oath.:siren:

I did not take a picture before I converted them, but I have a picture CyberlordXP sent me when I was going to purchase the minis from him. They are the models in white primer and the Seargant in bare plastic would this count or no?

I can see the models before and after conversion, so I'm gonna say that counts. Please edit this photo into your original Oath post and/or your Oath Complete post.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I decided that the pictures I posted with my completed oath kinda sucked, so here are some better ones.

Some are still a little blurry, but I am working with a phone camera here... Here they are:

A little paint seems to have chipped off that guys back...

I also edited these picture into the end of my original oath completed post.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Terrible picture, but it does show the scratchbuilt Heavy Bolters on the sides of the Predators.

Converting the helmet to look like an Order Sergeant wasn't too bad, considering it started looking like this.

A bit of the tiny little PanO symbol is visible on his right shoulder, I didn't get a straight-on shot.

Detektuv's Jurnal:

In which I lament not having my airbrush set up. These little guys were very reluctant to cover their primer, assuring that I would not be using that primer again for anything other than red models.

Main colors blocked in. The head antenna thing had fallen off when I primed him, so I had to reglue it and brush prime it white.

Head piece finished up, and the other arm attached. The chest has the Knight of the Holy Sepulchre cross laboriously freehanded on, and I forget that it would be completely covered by the rifle. :eng99:

Red wash added to the LED sections. Not the cleanest pseudo-OSL, but good enough for tabletop. I also got the gloss sealant on, in preparation for messing around with the shoulder symbols.

In addition to the Jurnal, my Predators are part of a Themed Group and are conversions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Signal posted:

Converting the helmet to look like an Order Sergeant wasn't too bad, considering it started looking like this.

Is this another one of those dealies where the base is supposed to be clear for game purposes? I've credited you the point for basing on this assumption but I thought I should check.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Is this another one of those dealies where the base is supposed to be clear for game purposes? I've credited you the point for basing on this assumption but I thought I should check.

He mentions 'PanO' so I'd say this is an Infinity model, which uses 'normal' bases (with paint, basing, flock, etc.)...in this case although it looks really cool I wouldn't give the point for basing, unless there's some other reason.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

krushgroove posted:

He mentions 'PanO' so I'd say this is an Infinity model, which uses 'normal' bases (with paint, basing, flock, etc.)...in this case although it looks really cool I wouldn't give the point for basing, unless there's some other reason.

I've done all my Infinity models with the clear bases so that the terrain underneath can be seen. Last year they qualified for basing points, but it's cool if they don't this year. If needed I guess I could rip him off and paint up a base for him to stand on...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Signal posted:

I've done all my Infinity models with the clear bases so that the terrain underneath can be seen. Last year they qualified for basing points, but it's cool if they don't this year. If needed I guess I could rip him off and paint up a base for him to stand on...

On the one hand, it seems it's up to you and you're choosing a lower-effort option (which is fine of course, but shouldn't earn the point). On the other hand, I don't think you should be blindsided and miss a point you thought you'd be earning.

On the third hand, if you'd not included that model at all in your oath, you'd still have a valid and complete oath which would have earned the point (since Epic vehicles aren't based). So it'd be kind of jerky to take the point away because you made extra effort to extend your oath!

But on the fourth hand, it might be unfair to someone else who put in the effort to do bases...

So I think I'm going to let Krushgroove be the final arbiter here. I'm feeling too ambivalent about it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
We've had a talk about it and I'm going to have to be the bad guy now and say that clear bases on a model that's not originally meant for them won't count for the basing point in future months. We'll give it to you this one time only because there was a precedent set in the last thread, but it's a new thread, with some new rules, and we have to be fair to the 100+ other people that are going to be earning points for the next 11 months in this thread.

To give a real example: I just based 20 guys last week and if I were earning real points oathing them I'd be pretty annoyed if you did a model and glued on a clear base to earn the same point for basing...especially after I painted glue on, put two different kinds of dirt & sand on, waited for it to dry, mixed colors to match the Citadel texture paint I used on earlier models, then painted around the feet, knees and other things on the models, quickly take off paint I'd accidentally put on the boots, etc., and I still have to do the touch-ups around the base, blah blah blah this is probably one reason you use clear bases...

I think the clear base is really slick looking, but Infinity models are designed for an opaque base. If this were a Dreadball model, that's a different story (and we've had someone do Dreadball stuff this month, and he does get the point for basing because those models are designed to see the game board).

There's no need to tear off the base you've put on there, and I know it won't be a popular decision with you, but we'll have to draw the line at giving points for basing with clear bases, sorry.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Hooray, I can say :siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

I oathed one Deathkopta. Here is this bad dude:

So many amazing oaths coming in today! How did you get the textured blue finish on the body of that kopta? It looks great

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

krushgroove posted:

Looks like you did everything correctly!

Yeah the white and bare plastic models are fine for oathing - I'm assuming you're asking specifically about the conversion competition, though?

Definitely fine for my prizes.

(Sorry I've been MIA, had to move.)

KamNZ
May 4, 2009

At least I'm warm...

Leperflesh posted:

You could do Themed Group if you want! Please post to let me know if you add that in to your complete post.

In that case, please add Themed Group, Thanks!

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp

Detektuv's Journal

Base coated

Skin highlighted

Leather/metal etc. hightlighted

Parts List

Games Workshop
- Catachan Green, Camo Green, Rotting Flesh
- Scab Red, Red Gore, Blood Red, Fiery Orange
- Tin Bitz, Boltgun Metal, Ironbreaker
- Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather
- Bubonic Brown, Bleached Bone, Skull White
- Dark Angels Green, Scorpion Green
- Mordian Blue, Tausept Ochre, Khemri Brown
Other Stuff
- Gale Force 9 Winter static grass
- Rustoleoum flat black
- some sand from a beach

These are also a Themed Group and might as well get Double the Fun

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Deanut Pancer posted:

So many amazing oaths coming in today! How did you get the textured blue finish on the body of that kopta? It looks great

Thanks! It is actually done with a particularly aggressive sort of drybrushing. I primed the model black and then painted all those areas with a basecoat of Night Blue (Vallejo - used to be Midnight Blue in GW, not sure what it would be now). Then I do a ton of drybrushing with Enchanted Blue, and then another round using Hawk Turquoise, focusing on edges and details. The end result is that kind effect. If you like, you can hit it with a color-appropriate wash which takes off some of the 'dustiness' of the look and makes it a little smoother.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

And the Goliath half of my oath:

Everything together:

And here's the Detektuv's Journal with three WIP shots:

I'm doubling the fun so here's the parts list for the Goliaths:
Games Workshop Goliaths
Woodland Scenics gravel
Krylon Black Spray Primer
(All paint colors Games Workshop unless otherwise noted)
Rhinox Hide
Dark Flesh
Game Color Tan
Dwarf Flesh
Reikland Fleshshade
Leadbelcher
Agrax Earthshade
Nuln Oil
Runefang Steel
Blazing Orange
Khorne Red
Mephiston Red
Balthasar Gold
Gehenna's Gold
Auric Armor Gold
Kantor Blue
Altdorf Guard Blue
Eshin Grey
Dawnstone
Abaddon Black
Skull White
Castellan Green
Elysian Green
Steel Legion Drab
Army Painter Skeleton Bone
Army Painter Angel Green
Warboss Green
Skarsnik Green
Thrakka Green

SRM fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 30, 2013

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
:siren: Oath Complete :siren:

Detektuv's Journal

Also going to point out that from my initial oath you can see the blue troll has been fairly heavily converted, the face, hands and left ear have all been made from scratch, so I'm applying for the conversion prize too.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The tenacity of my procrastination with regard to this oath surprises even me. Just for my health, what's the drop dead time/date on this thing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Deadline Times
To make it super-easy to figure out when the cut-off time for new oaths is, as well as to know when you have to post your completed oath, here are the deadline times:

Cutoff Time
US Pacific time: 5 PM
US Mountain time: 6 PM
US Central time: 7 PM
US Easter time: 8 PM
UK time: 1 AM
Central EU time: 2 AM

These are just the times to cover 90% of SA posters, don't be offended if your time zone is not included. And if you are offended, well screw you! If you don't know what time 0:00 GMT is in your time zone, use this link for all your time-telling needs!

Reminders will be posted before the new oath cut-off time, as well as before the oath complete cut-off time. In general, there's no way I'm going to be awake at 1 AM local time, no matter what day it is, so I'll post something 2-4 hours ahead of time and we'll use the forum server timestamps to figure out who posted their oaths a minute too late!

Here ya go, Fix. Apply the above time to the last day of the month to find your local time zone moment of truth for completing your oaths. May hath 31 days, so this will be on Friday.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

krushgroove posted:

We've had a talk about it and I'm going to have to be the bad guy now and say that clear bases on a model that's not originally meant for them won't count for the basing point in future months. We'll give it to you this one time only because there was a precedent set in the last thread, but it's a new thread, with some new rules, and we have to be fair to the 100+ other people that are going to be earning points for the next 11 months in this thread.

To give a real example: I just based 20 guys last week and if I were earning real points oathing them I'd be pretty annoyed if you did a model and glued on a clear base to earn the same point for basing...especially after I painted glue on, put two different kinds of dirt & sand on, waited for it to dry, mixed colors to match the Citadel texture paint I used on earlier models, then painted around the feet, knees and other things on the models, quickly take off paint I'd accidentally put on the boots, etc., and I still have to do the touch-ups around the base, blah blah blah this is probably one reason you use clear bases...

I think the clear base is really slick looking, but Infinity models are designed for an opaque base. If this were a Dreadball model, that's a different story (and we've had someone do Dreadball stuff this month, and he does get the point for basing because those models are designed to see the game board).

There's no need to tear off the base you've put on there, and I know it won't be a popular decision with you, but we'll have to draw the line at giving points for basing with clear bases, sorry.

What about the clear bases used for flying vehicles and the like?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Leperflesh posted:

Here ya go, Fix. Apply the above time to the last day of the month to find your local time zone moment of truth for completing your oaths. May hath 31 days, so this will be on Friday.

A-thankyew. Also, :gonk:.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Wili posted:

What about the clear bases used for flying vehicles and the like?

Flying vehicles come with a clear base, you'll receive the basing point because your model is based on the base it comes on if you do absolutely nothing but attach it to its clear base.

That's my understanding.. but why anyone would leave flying bases 'as is' is beyond me, they really benefit from a bit of attention.

Anyways, getting closer and closer to deadline.. how many outstanding oaths have we got out there? Come on people :D

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I can't decide what to do next month!

-4 custom Meganobz made from AT-43 monkeys
-custom Inquisitor in Terminator armor w/psycannon and hammer
-Rifleman dread with forgeworld arms
-Reaper's Faceless Horror

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Wanna see that Rifleman!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I'm in a similar position. Can't decide between my biker boss, meka dread, riptide, and cadre fire blade.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
I've got the entirety of the DV boxset to choose from!

...but I'll probably just try to finish off my tactical squad. :geno:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I'm all about Inquisitors up in here.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

...pretty sure I know what I'll be oathing, lots of 6mm scale gribbly critters :) hoping they'll be delivered tomorrow and if not then hopefully Saturday. I hate waiting around for things to arrive... itching to get started :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Well I'm no help because I want to see the custom Meganobz.

(We just need some one to want the Faceless Horror and we have a 4 way tie).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Well I'm no help because I want to see the custom Meganobz.

(We just need some one to want the Faceless Horror and we have a 4 way tie).
I want to see a Faceless Horror just because it's not GW.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Guys, clearly the right answer is that he should paint ALL of them!

Binbag
May 10, 2007
OATH COMPLETE

Not the most impressive oath, nor photography but it's done.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Now that my desk/painting station is all unpacked I cannot WAIT to oath for June.
Just torn between doing Gasp3, or a unit of Bane Thralls.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Binbag posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Not the most impressive oath, nor photography but it's done.

Do you want to use a different picture with your username in the photo? it's a free point!

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Due to dissertation stuff I'm really struggling with completing my oath. I've finished the 28mm mini but I have about 3 out of 5 shermans left to go. How does this work? Can I do an 'oath complete' on the 28mm mini and a saving the wales on the tanks or do I have to do a saving the wales on my whole oath?

And how does this work with the first time oather bonus? If I save the wales do I lose it?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Commissar Kip posted:

Due to dissertation stuff I'm really struggling with completing my oath. I've finished the 28mm mini but I have about 3 out of 5 shermans left to go. How does this work? Can I do an 'oath complete' on the 28mm mini and a saving the wales on the tanks or do I have to do a saving the wales on my whole oath?

And how does this work with the first time oather bonus? If I save the wales do I lose it?

You fail or complete the whole oath, not model by model. Later on when you save the whales you will include the one you completed with it.

You got the first timer point just for oathing, not for completing, so you won't lose that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JoshTheStampede posted:

You fail or complete the whole oath, not model by model. Later on when you save the whales you will include the one you completed with it.

You got the first timer point just for oathing, not for completing, so you won't lose that.

All of this, plus if you fail your oath you get put on an Oathbreaker list that gets updated every month. (Nothing bad actually happens, it's more of a mild public shaming) You may get the option to get an Oathbreaker avatar (for free) that you may have noticed on some people's posts in this thread.

If you Do Save Da Whales in the future, you are put into a prize drawing just for people who've saved their oaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ah okay. So, do I save the whales now or do I have to wait till this month is over?

EDIT:
So even for saving them wales I'm on the oathbreaker list? Is there no repentance?

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 30, 2013

• Locked thread