Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leadhound
May 29, 2013
Hey, in all honesty... it's just not that good... If you don't already have "bring down the sky" I would recommend that one. Fleshes out the whole Baterian terrorism subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

404notfound posted:

Does anybody have any tips for Pinnacle Station in Mass Effect 1? The survival missions are laughably easy, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to get those time trial times. If I'm an adept, who should I be bringing along?
Just set it to the lowest difficulty setting. Wasting time trying to do the time trials when the enemies are bullet sponges is silly.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lycus posted:

Just set it to the lowest difficulty setting. Wasting time trying to do the time trials when the enemies are bullet sponges is silly.

Oh yeah, forgot this is a hardcore character. So I guess that means the records aren't adjusted for difficulty?

Guess I'll do this on one of my other characters. I don't know if dialing it down, getting the achievements, and then continuing on a different save would cost me the hardcore difficulty achievement or not, but better safe than sorry.

Smiley!
Dec 7, 2009

The Picard Maneuver

404notfound posted:

Oh yeah, forgot this is a hardcore character. So I guess that means the records aren't adjusted for difficulty?

Guess I'll do this on one of my other characters. I don't know if dialing it down, getting the achievements, and then continuing on a different save would cost me the hardcore difficulty achievement or not, but better safe than sorry.

You could always beat the game to get the Hardcore achievement, then go back and load an earlier save file, switch to Casual, and blow through everything you need to do at the station.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You could just move on to beat the game, then reload a pre-Ilos save to do PS.

Edit: drat it

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I just picked Mass Effect 2 up again after hating it, and I'm starting to have some fun, but this game seems like it was designed and written by people who were in constant disagreement.

First, the aim assist absolutely ruins these large-scale battles. I feel like third-person shooters that don't have the ability to strafe weren't designed for the crosshair to snap to enemies. I thought the whole point of cover-based shooting was to make precise shots. It's really putting a bad taste in my mouth, especially when I was fighting waves and waves of enemies before fighting the Asari Spectre.

Also, I was playing last night and all of a sudden, Shepard starting cracking jokes with Liara when I was out front of the Shadow Broker's crib. Like, I don't have a problem with it, but where did the in-game dialogue come from because she wasn't doing it up until this point. I have never seen Shepard be funny at all while playing ME1 and ME2. Did a new writer take over at that point or what?

I'm really not seeing what makes this game so good.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Squirtle Squadee posted:

First, the aim assist absolutely ruins these large-scale battles. I feel like third-person shooters that don't have the ability to strafe weren't designed for the crosshair to snap to enemies. I thought the whole point of cover-based shooting was to make precise shots. It's really putting a bad taste in my mouth, especially when I was fighting waves and waves of enemies before fighting the Asari Spectre.
Can't you turn it off?

Or, did ME2 do the whole "aim assist scales with the difficulty setting" thing?

quote:

Also, I was playing last night and all of a sudden, Shepard starting cracking jokes with Liara when I was out front of the Shadow Broker's crib. Like, I don't have a problem with it, but where did the in-game dialogue come from because she wasn't doing it up until this point. I have never seen Shepard be funny at all while playing ME1 and ME2. Did a new writer take over at that point or what?
My girlfriend is playing ME1 right now, and the dialogue is still humorous at some parts. So, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen, so it doesn't seem that unusual.

Is there anything you don't like about the game? Those two things seem pretty minor, honestly, to hate the whole game for them.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 29, 2013

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Is there aim assist in 3? Due to some physical limitations, I cannot aim like I could in ME2. :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did you play ME1 first? If not you are doing it wrong.
Also, even though the gameplay is that of a shooter, that's not what the game is about. So if that is your #1 concern you aren't going to like it.

What class are you playing? If you are a soldier, you are doing it wrong again.

Mass Effect is about trolling around the galaxy with your space bros and space hos and beating up reporters and having sex with aliens and saving the world.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If your Shepard isn't making a crack every so often, you're probably not picking a lot of renegade dialogue.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I've played 1 and 2, currently finishing 3. An aim assist would help with not being able to use LT! I figure MP is going to be difficult.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah I hated that in ME2 you had to be 100% paragon or renegade in order to actually do the persuasion bits. So now when I play it I just use gibbed's save editor to jack up my score so that I can charm people without being total stick in the mud Shep.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Lycus posted:

If your Shepard isn't making a crack every so often, you're probably not picking a lot of renegade dialogue.

There's a joke from Shep in ME1 on Feros that isn't dependent on either one! :colbert:

"Sic semper tyrann-*cough*"

fake edit: I will add that I enjoy ME2 in that I can do a Renegade interrupt now and again without it losing with Paragon points. Because some people just need to be shot. Or punched in the stomach. (Though that's ME3 I guess)

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Crows Turn Off posted:

Can't you turn it off?

Nope. I'm playing on Insane and it's still really obnoxious.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is there anything you don't like about the game? Those two things seem pretty minor, honestly, to hate the whole game for them.

Those were just two examples. I mainly think the game is really monotonous with the extra dialogue and long shooting wars.

It's really obnoxious when you get never-ending waves of enemies.

Lycus posted:

I'm talking about in-game; not the cutscenes.

I'm talking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4yTpalvm6E&t=7m20s

It was just weird is all. Doing that kind of stuff more often could've made the shooting parts way more enjoyable.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

That's definitely a thing they only started doing with LotSB, and is one of the reasons I like it so much. See also: ME3's Citadel dlc.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Squirtle Squadee posted:

It's really obnoxious when you get never-ending waves of enemies.

Be more aggressive. Pushing forward will cut down the number of enemies you face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp, just finished Rannoch on a second playthrough where I stopped the Geth VI from uploading the code - I feel like a goddamn monster :gonk:

I've always been a big wimp when it comes to doing mean things to video-game characters, but the Mass Effect series has always done a pretty good job of making me feel even worse about it. On Tuchanka I convinced Mordin to fake the genophage cure after Eve died and let Wreav think it succeeded, and I didn't mind that since Wreav was a horrible person, but directly after they have an oblivious Garrus go on and on about what a great person Shepard is for doing the right thing :negative:

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
So in 1, which licences do I want? Does Spectre, Kassa, and Serris cover pretty much everything I'd want?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Project1 posted:

So in 1, which licences do I want? Does Spectre, Kassa, and Serris cover pretty much everything I'd want?

They make things from those manufactures show up in the store on the Normandy. Pretty useless really, no point buying anything other than Spectre gear, just go with drops until you get the Rich Achievement or have the money to buy the stuff.

EDIT: Well, I buy alien armour when it shows up. That shits rare, yo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Yeah I hated that in ME2 you had to be 100% paragon or renegade in order to actually do the persuasion bits. So now when I play it I just use gibbed's save editor to jack up my score so that I can charm people without being total stick in the mud Shep.

You don't even have to do that - just import a balanced ME1 save and you'll have 190 extra paragon and renegade points. Continue playing in the same vein and you'll be able to make 95% of both checks in the entire game, even both of Morinth's (the two toughest culprits being the renegade closing argument at Tali's trial, and the "I'm a Spectre" intro option at the interrogation on Thane's).

Also, that dude who was wondering why Shep's suddenly being funny in LotSB - you suck and have been playing the games all wrong. Hang your head in shame.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Veotax posted:

They make things from those manufactures show up in the store on the Normandy. Pretty useless really, no point buying anything other than Spectre gear, just go with drops until you get the Rich Achievement or have the money to buy the stuff.

EDIT: Well, I buy alien armour when it shows up. That shits rare, yo.

Yes, but I'm already Rich. There's Colossus armour from Kassa for example.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bit late, but

Rick_Hunter posted:

But from what I've read, insanity is equivalent to gold multiplayer so if you can duo or solo that, you're...golden. Except for the shield gate thing. I wish you could one shot shielded enemies on insanity. :(
Play the Armax Arsenal challenges from Citadel. There is no shield-gate there at any difficulty level, so it's a great feeling to bring the biggest shotgun or sniper rifle you can and have 100% of the damage go through. And you can still achieve a really nice degree of challenge by eschewing teammates and/or piling up the mutators.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Project1 posted:

If you're planning on importing the save into the later games you want the Elkoss Combine Licence too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

and the "I'm a Spectre" intro option at the interrogation on Thane's).

Which I honestly kind of recommend skipping. That scene's a neat little good cop/bad cop scene that you get to play out, but if you take the renegade option, you just skip the whole thing entirely, it's sort of a let down.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

You don't even have to do that - just import a balanced ME1 save and you'll have 190 extra paragon and renegade points. Continue playing in the same vein and you'll be able to make 95% of both checks in the entire game, even both of Morinth's (the two toughest culprits being the renegade closing argument at Tali's trial, and the "I'm a Spectre" intro option at the interrogation on Thane's).

Also, that dude who was wondering why Shep's suddenly being funny in LotSB - you suck and have been playing the games all wrong. Hang your head in shame.
The only other one I've had a problem with getting on a balanced playthrough was Tela Vasir's check, but I don't care because shooting Vasir through the hostage's arm is hilarious.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Lycus posted:

The only other one I've had a problem with getting on a balanced playthrough was Tela Vasir's check, but I don't care because shooting Vasir through the hostage's arm is hilarious.

There's a couple of instances in the series where a non-highlighted dialogue option is just much better than either of the P/R choices, and this is definitely one of them :shepface:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Lycus posted:

I've found it much more satisfying to be a goodie two shoes and have Liara stop her with a table to the face.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I liked it for Shepard's action movie hero line when he takes the shot.

:shepface::You're forgetting one thing.
:byodame:: What's that?
:shepface:: *BLAM* I'm a Spectre too.

Similarly resolving the standoff in Thane's loyalty mission by just blowing away the racist turian guy yourself and telling the shocked Kolyat that hostages only work when the other party cares whether or not they live or die (although shooting the lamp and punching him in the face is pretty funny too).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Going the other direction, it is fun to beat up the reporter in 1 and 2 and then console her in 3.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

If you do all the charm options in 1 the interview is actually quite pleasant. Then Admiral Hackbar calls you up like "Nice job, you looked good in that interview. Council was trying to keep the Saren thing quiet but who gives a poo poo they're always pissed. Keep on keeping on bro."

And then I forget what she asks in 2, maybe there's no way to make that one go smoothly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cobalt Chloride posted:

If you do all the charm options in 1 the interview is actually quite pleasant. Then Admiral Hackbar calls you up like "Nice job, you looked good in that interview. Council was trying to keep the Saren thing quiet but who gives a poo poo they're always pissed. Keep on keeping on bro."

And then I forget what she asks in 2, maybe there's no way to make that one go smoothly.

If I remember right, in 2 if you use paragon options she comes across like a deranged lunatic to the audience while you look unflappable and diplomatic and make all the viewers feel good about themselves.

I've never punched her, it always struck me as bizarre and completely out of line with something that either a Paragon or Renegade Shepard would do.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, in 2 if you use paragon options she comes across like a deranged lunatic to the audience while you look unflappable and diplomatic and make all the viewers feel good about themselves.

I've never punched her, it always struck me as bizarre and completely out of line with something that either a Paragon or Renegade Shepard would do.

The "lunatic" thing comes from ME1 I think, if you do well in the interview Hackett will say that public perception is that Shepard handled things perfectly and that Khalisah came off as a crazy sensationalist. In ME2 she attempts to paint you as the bad guy for your actions at the end of ME1, calling out the loss of life on either side depending on what you did. With the charm/intimidate option Shepard turns the tables and tells her that the decision was not made easily and the dead deserve some respect.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Even though it's the same scene with both genders, it feels wrong to do it as male shepard. Especially in three, where it's supposed to be funny. It doesn't feel quite right to laugh at a tough dude punching out a woman.

With Femshep I have no problems though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's funnier to paragon your way out of her every single time because she just keeps coming back looking to get something out of Shep and you're just like "uh huh, no, I'm too awesome for that" like three times in a row. You'd think she'd learn :v:

Punching her is giving her what she wants, a spectacle. Just being chill and walking off with a smug smile is the best.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

Ainsley McTree posted:

Even though it's the same scene with both genders, it feels wrong to do it as male shepard. Especially in three, where it's supposed to be funny. It doesn't feel quite right to laugh at a tough dude punching out a woman.

With Femshep I have no problems though.

I had the exactly same problem with those scenes. I mean it just felt wrong.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Headbutt everybody every day, and you'll never go wrong.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

The biggest failing of the scene in three is that it lets people interrupt their way out of her knocking Shepard the gently caress out. The two other resolutions fit pretty well, but that interrupt is just really off-putting - it doesn't even come across as an ill-conceived attempt at humour either, it's pretty much just assaulting a woman, scene ends.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I was loving around on TV and found some sort of Mass Effect anime.

This poo poo is weird, collectors are almost 10 feet tall in this, the guns are MASSIVE, there's an asari that does nothing(aren't they supposed to be natural biotics?) a guy working with the collectors of all things, a human, who was also with Cerberus.

Also it stars Vega, man where the hell did this even come from. :psyduck:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Alteisen posted:

So I was loving around on TV and found some sort of Mass Effect anime.

This poo poo is weird, collectors are almost 10 feet tall in this, the guns are MASSIVE, there's an asari that does nothing(aren't they supposed to be natural biotics?) a guy working with the collectors of all things, a human, who was also with Cerberus.

Also it stars Vega, man where the hell did this even come from. :psyduck:

Paradise Lost and Found or whatever the gently caress has been being marketed for ages. It came out a while back as well. Part of that EA thing of making anime features from their IP's. There's like, three for Dead Space and one for Dragon Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

Paradise Lost and Found or whatever the gently caress has been being marketed for ages. It came out a while back as well. Part of that EA thing of making anime features from their IP's. There's like, three for Dead Space and one for Dragon Age.

But why all the weird discrepancies in how everything looks?

The only accurate thing was the sounds the guns made and the Praetorian.

• Locked thread