Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Seriously, how crazy is it for people to have meow conversations with their cat? I understand people do babble towards animals and it can be funny sometimes but when someone is actually saying 'meow' to a cat multiple times on a daily basis, does that make them crazy?
I pretty routinely sing at my dog. Is that better or worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Seriously, how crazy is it for people to have meow conversations with their cat? I understand people do babble towards animals and it can be funny sometimes but when someone is actually saying 'meow' to a cat multiple times on a daily basis, does that make them crazy?

Unless they actually think that they're communicating with their animal on a meaningful level, I'd say zero crazy. They may be doing it in socially inappropriate venues, but unless they're like barking at a stranger's dog in public, I'd grant them a pass. It's fun to mess with animals. That is kind of the point of having a pet.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
This lady most definitely thinks she is communicating. The meows will be phrased certain ways so as to sound like a question at times or as an answer, like 'Meee ow? Me oooowwww.' The cat itself is as annoying as her. This is my roommate who has woken me up many times with this bs so it is just all around annoying I guess.

This poo poo is loving weird and if you have roommates do not do it in ways so they can hear you. You are being judged.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

You can bring up the ring size when you ask the father for her hand in marriage.

Do people still do this?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is there a limit on the amount of time that a defendant can spend behind bars awaiting trial? I know that cops have to release a suspect after 24 hours if they fail to press charges, but what happens if the legal system is slow to bring a charged person to trial?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Gravity Pike posted:

Unless they actually think that they're communicating with their animal on a meaningful level, I'd say zero crazy. They may be doing it in socially inappropriate venues, but unless they're like barking at a stranger's dog in public, I'd grant them a pass. It's fun to mess with animals. That is kind of the point of having a pet.

I meow at cats sometimes, but mostly because it usually gets a funny or cute response from them. Also my own cat is extremely vocal and makes a lot of hilarious sounds, so I've kind of gotten in the habit of mocking him. I'm definitely not trying to communicate with them beyond maybe "listen to this funny noise I'm making, meow back at me."

I can see why it's annoying though. I know some people who repeatedly ask their dog questions and seriously sound like they expect a full fledged answer in English. It drives me up the wall.

b0nes posted:

Do people still do this?

Some people out there are pretty traditional and think of asking for the daughter's hand as the respectful thing to do before proposing. I personally would be really weirded out by it and so would my dad I think. Plus my parents don't know my ring size because they aren't in the habit of buying me jewelry, so it would be useless on that front too.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 30, 2013

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Question regarding proper English. This could also fit in the English prof thread, but it's pretty basic so I figure I might try for an answer here.

When using "through" to indicate a period of time, would it be proper to write the following in an academic paper:
"The project ran through September 1st, 2012 to May 31st, 2013."
or
"The project ran September 1st, 2012 through May 31st, 2013."

Thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kimmalah posted:

I know some people who repeatedly ask their dog questions and seriously sound like they expect a full fledged answer in English. It drives me up the wall.

Dogs can understand quite a lot. I don't know what exactly the people you know are asking their dogs, but it's quite reasonable to talk to a dog about things that a dog can understand and is interested in, or even ask it questions.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Cakefool posted:

Software running on meat.

This is genius.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

csidle posted:

Question regarding proper English. This could also fit in the English prof thread, but it's pretty basic so I figure I might try for an answer here.

When using "through" to indicate a period of time, would it be proper to write the following in an academic paper:
or

Thanks.

Only use "through" before the end date. The second one is correct, the first one is not. You could also add a "from" before the first date:
The project ran from September 1st, 2012 to May 31st, 2013
The project ran from September 1st, 2012 through May 31st 2013.

There is a difference between "to" and "through", but it's not huge and it may not matter depending on what you're talking about. If something runs through May 31st, that means it ends at the end of the day on May 31st. If it just runs to May 31st, it's not clear when it ends on May 31st, or if it ended as soon as it turned midnight on the 31st. Unless you're talking about something where the time of day it ends is actually important, it doesn't really matter.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

csidle posted:

or

Thanks.

The second one. If you wanted to use the first one replace through with from.

^^^ Beaten with a much better explanation. I see how it is.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

I can see why it's annoying though. I know some people who repeatedly ask their dog questions and seriously sound like they expect a full fledged answer in English. It drives me up the wall.

From The Onion: "Nation's Dog Owners Demand To Know Who's A Good Boy."

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I just got on a new cell phone plan with unlimited talk, text, and 300MB data per month. It's not a smart phone. I didn't plan on getting the data, it just came with the cheapest plan they had.

How much is 300MB data on a dumbphone, anyway? Am I going to go over if I check the weather online every couple of days, or is it a lot of data or what? I have no idea. I have never had a phone that was capable of getting on the internet so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

razz posted:

I just got on a new cell phone plan with unlimited talk, text, and 300MB data per month. It's not a smart phone. I didn't plan on getting the data, it just came with the cheapest plan they had.

How much is 300MB data on a dumbphone, anyway? Am I going to go over if I check the weather online every couple of days, or is it a lot of data or what? I have no idea. I have never had a phone that was capable of getting on the internet so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks!
300MB is probably plenty. On T-Mobile you can dial #WEB# to see your usage, check with your carrier to see if they have a similar feature.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Checking a web page uses a very small amount of data. This will go up if there are large images that need to be loaded. Using interactive media like youtube or flash apps will quickly use up your data. Most smart phones will have a way of limiting your data usage so you don't go over your cap. No idea about your non-smartphone, but there must be some way to check your data usage - either on the phone itself or by dialing your provider and going through a robot call. On your bill it should also provide information about how much of your data plan you used. 300MB should be more than enough for checking the weather every few days. Noone can say for sure what the data usage will be, since each method you use to check it will use a different amount.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

What is a "colourbooze"?

It's referenced in Chuck Berry's "Drivin' Along In My Automobile" as apparently a slang term for some kind of car, but google search results only point back to the lyrics for that song

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Earwicker posted:

What is a "colourbooze"?

It's referenced in Chuck Berry's "Drivin' Along In My Automobile" as apparently a slang term for some kind of car, but google search results only point back to the lyrics for that song

I'm seeing it in several lyrics pages as "calaboose" and googling for that says it's a word meaning prison or dungeon, now I'm confused.
http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/chuck_berry/no_particular_place_to_go.html

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

I'm seeing it in several lyrics pages as "calaboose" and googling for that says it's a word meaning prison or dungeon, now I'm confused.

Well in one of the verses he complains about not being able to get his girlfriend's seatbelt undone so that sort of makes sense

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'd rather have a souped-up jitney than be in prison.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tiggum posted:

Dogs can understand quite a lot. I don't know what exactly the people you know are asking their dogs, but it's quite reasonable to talk to a dog about things that a dog can understand and is interested in, or even ask it questions.

Well, they ask it over and over if it wants to go outside and then they act sort of annoyed because the dog doesn't clearly "tell" them what it wants. And whenever it does something bad, instead of using a simple command like "stop" or "no," they give it this lecture like you would give to a small child that could only be understood if you comprehend English at a level beyond what a dog is probably capable of.

They're kind of strange though, since they also get annoyed when the dog pants when it doesn't feel hot outside to them and can't figure out why the dog doesn't go get a drink of water precisely when they tell it to (because I guess it just looks thirsty somehow? I don't know).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kimmalah posted:

Well, they ask it over and over if it wants to go outside and then they act sort of annoyed because the dog doesn't clearly "tell" them what it wants. And whenever it does something bad, instead of using a simple command like "stop" or "no," they give it this lecture like you would give to a small child that could only be understood if you comprehend English at a level beyond what a dog is probably capable of.

They're kind of strange though, since they also get annoyed when the dog pants when it doesn't feel hot outside to them and can't figure out why the dog doesn't go get a drink of water precisely when they tell it to (because I guess it just looks thirsty somehow? I don't know).

Yeah, that's weird. I mean, there's nothing wrong with asking your dog if it wants to go outside, that is definitely the sort of question a dog can understand and respond to, but if it doesn't respond then the answer is probably no. And you can ask a dog if it's thirsty too, dogs can definitely understand that, but if it's not thirsty then it's not going to drink water just because you tell it to.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

If someone gets annoyed at a dog for panting I think they are going to have a lot of problems communicating with dogs

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Generally speaking, where would be the safest place to hide jewelry in the house? I keep accidentally scratching my son with my engagement ring while playing, but given we've been broken into twice since we've owned the place I'm a little leery of taking it off. Just hoping there's a cleverer option I haven't thought of rather than hiding it in a box of stuff in the attic.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Lyz posted:

Generally speaking, where would be the safest place to hide jewelry in the house? I keep accidentally scratching my son with my engagement ring while playing, but given we've been broken into twice since we've owned the place I'm a little leery of taking it off. Just hoping there's a cleverer option I haven't thought of rather than hiding it in a box of stuff in the attic.

I've always thought the concept of an "outlet-safe" is cool, I've never had anything small/valuable enough for one though. http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Outlet-Safe/dp/B000SM3NRW

My Grandma used to have a clothes-hamper built into her wall, it would lean out about 45 deg when you opened it. If you took the hamper out of its opening completely that's where she hid valuables.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Lyz posted:

Depending on what type of stuff it is there are a lot of "fake" cans and stuff that you can put in your fridge/freezer that have compartments. Check this site. I just grabbed that site at random, I don't know if they are good or not. They seem to have a wide range of hidden safes though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Baron Bifford posted:

Is there a limit on the amount of time that a defendant can spend behind bars awaiting trial? I know that cops have to release a suspect after 24 hours if they fail to press charges, but what happens if the legal system is slow to bring a charged person to trial?

I'm assuming you are asking for a defendant in America? In short, you, as an American citizen have several rights, even as a defendant in a criminal trial. One of these is the right to "a speedy trial" (paraphrasing).

But speedy is a relative term and the speed at which you are brought to trial depends on how many people are ahead of you in line and what the offense is. A minor traffic violation doesn't usually involve any jail time, but if you choose to appear in court you will be given a specific date and time to appear in front of a judge, who is probably hearing similar stories from 1-2 dozen other offenders that same day.

A murder trial on the other hand can take a long time. If police dramas have any basis in reality, the police will build a case based on evidence and present it to a DA before making the arrest. The DA will build their argument, a judge will have to be available, a jury selected from the general populace, and a defense attorney should do everything in their power to prevent the trial from happening (best case scenario).

Location could effect the amount of time sitting and waiting as well. If you are accused of armed robbery in Rat's rear end, Missouri, chances are you'd have a shorter wait time than the same crime in Chicago.

So, no, there is not a maximum amount of time you can be held in holding prior to trial.

I think the defense can attempt for a mis-trial if it is taking an obscene amount of time to get to trial, and that can be pointed to some form of incompetence on the part of the prosecution, but I'd imagine that it is incredibly rare.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 30, 2013

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Lyz posted:

You have kids. Burglars don't steal things from children's rooms unless there's a video game console readily visible. Get a normal fireproof safe and hide it in his room.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

CzarChasm posted:

I'm assuming you are asking for a defendant in America? In short, you, as an American citizen have several rights, even as a defendant in a criminal trial. One of these is the right to "a speedy trial" (paraphrasing).

But speedy is a relative term and the speed at which you are brought to trial depends on how many people are ahead of you in line and what the offense is. A minor traffic violation doesn't usually involve any jail time, but if you choose to appear in court you will be given a specific date and time to appear in front of a judge, who is probably hearing similar stories from 1-2 dozen other offenders that same day.

A murder trial on the other hand can take a long time. If police dramas have any basis in reality, the police will build a case based on evidence and present it to a DA before making the arrest. The DA will build their argument, a judge will have to be available, a jury selected from the general populace, and a defense attorney should do everything in their power to prevent the trial from happening (best case scenario).

Location could effect the amount of time sitting and waiting as well. If you are accused of armed robbery in Rat's rear end, Missouri, chances are you'd have a shorter wait time than the same crime in Chicago.

So, no, there is not a maximum amount of time you can be held in holding prior to trial.

I think the defense can attempt for a mis-trial if it is taking an obscene amount of time to get to trial, and that can be pointed to some form of incompetence on the part of the prosecution, but I'd imagine that it is incredibly rare.

This isn't totally true. This article is about a couple guys that ran a $7M Ponzi scheme and because the government waited so long to bring them to trial after filing for the indictment they are being set free.

They cannot legally hold you forever without a trial and blame it on court delays and stuff like that. Though they seem to do that stuff at Gitmo.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Noni posted:

You have kids. Burglars don't steal things from children's rooms unless there's a video game console readily visible. Get a normal fireproof safe and hide it in his room.

Our last fireproof box the burglars just picked up and carried off so I don't trust them very much. When we recover enough documents to need one of those again I may just get a box at a bank or something. I like the idea of hiding it in his closet, though the last break in they even checked the drawers of a beat up dresser in a bedroom full of spare junk. Pretty sure the second set of thieves was a bunch of high school kids looking for cash because I think professionals would have noticed the security cameras on the garage (that completely failed to catch the second break in :sigh:).

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Lyz posted:

Our last fireproof box the burglars just picked up and carried off so I don't trust them very much.

That's why you bolt a safe to the floor.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've heard that Indian people are notoriously bad at handling dissenting opinions, not just in politics but in academia and intellectual spheres, eg if you criticize the theories of a highly respected Indian intellectual, you are insulting him, his family and his country. Is this the case? I know Indian society is highly clannish and stratified, but does anyone have any personal experience?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

b0nes posted:

Do people still do this? (Ask dad to marry daughter)
I did 10 years ago. Of course I asked her first.

He said no.

He's dead now and we're still happy. Haha.

Lyz posted:

This is the most ingenious hiding place I've ever seen http://m.dornob.com/dornob/#!/entry/hiding-in-plain-sight-brilliant-diy-safe-in-overlooked-spot,517edc39da27f5d9d0b6e08b/1

(Posting from iPad and it gave me the mobile site for some reason, so you may need to remove the "m." or just google "hide safe top of door")

randyest fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 30, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trastion posted:

This isn't totally true. This article is about a couple guys that ran a $7M Ponzi scheme and because the government waited so long to bring them to trial after filing for the indictment they are being set free.

They cannot legally hold you forever without a trial and blame it on court delays and stuff like that. Though they seem to do that stuff at Gitmo.

I think if the statute of limitations expires the defendant can be released from jail since they can't try him any more. But the statute of limitations for murder never expires, so in theory somebody could spend life in prison awaiting a trial for a murder they didn't commit. There ought to be something more.

Do some countries grant defendants automatic bail if they've been awaiting trial too long? As in "you've been in here a year now, you can walk out of here for now, just don't leave the country." It seems only right to at least let them live decently while the court systems gets its rear end in order.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's the deal with autocorrect on iPhones? I don't have one, but people seem to have tremendous trouble with it:

The 30 Most Hilarious Autocorrect Struggles Ever

I can understand 1 time, maybe 2, but 3-4-5 times? Why don't people check the message before they press send?

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

brylcreem posted:

What's the deal with autocorrect on iPhones? I don't have one, but people seem to have tremendous trouble with it:

The 30 Most Hilarious Autocorrect Struggles Ever

I can understand 1 time, maybe 2, but 3-4-5 times? Why don't people check the message before they press send?

A lot of them are fake.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

b0nes posted:

Do people still do this?
It is pretty much essential in many Asian immigrant families, as eloping can leave the couple socially isolated. In these community-oriented cultures, a marriage is not just between the groom and bride.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

b0nes posted:

Do people still do this?

My cousin's husband did.

Her father said something along the lines of "If you want her, you can have her!"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mak0rz posted:

My cousin's husband did.

Her father said something along the lines of "If you want her, you can have her!"

I think I married your cousin, her dad said if I was daft enough to take her hand I had to promise to take the rest of her away as well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

Depending on what type of stuff it is there are a lot of "fake" cans and stuff that you can put in your fridge/freezer that have compartments. Check this site. I just grabbed that site at random, I don't know if they are good or not. They seem to have a wide range of hidden safes though.

From what I've read "good" burglars know all about these tricks which explains how random and chaotic a break-in looks. The reason the contents of your freezer are all over the kitchen floor is because people hide valuables in the back sometimes and the burglars are in a hurry, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Lyz posted:

I assume you've scratched him while wearing it on your finger. Would wearing it on a chain work instead?